2009-06-25 10:54:21

I don't recall mentioning C&C here. My comments were about the starship simulator genre, maybe "starfleet command" fooled you.

True about the card games. While subscription isn't expensive, I've come to realise that asking my friends to pay for that subscription just to play a card game with me from time to time would seem unreasonable and I wouldn't be comfortable doing so. Both are unable to work for various reasons and are on very tight budgets. Equally paying for all three subscriptions would be more than I'm happy doing for what we would get out of it. I would be happy arranging us all for an internet based monopoly game, which would probably be more interesting to them both and I hope wouldn't need a subscription if it was ran on a host/client basis on your own system rather than a central server.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-06-25 12:27:40

I was thinking of your first post immediately after mine on stratogy games, ---- but I will agree that as I'm currently deeply entrenched in the delter quadrent, i'd very much appreciate commanding my own starship.

Fair enough as reguards the subscriptions to Che's games, that is indeed true even though the subscription isn't likely to be much.

A monopoly game with graphics, spech and! net play would be very nice, and there are probably friends of mine who'd appreciate it as well.

I did once have a discussion with jim kitchin about including a feature in his monopoly so that you could in put the moves and money for other players' pieces, and thus effectively move them on your board. That way you could use skype, and play using your board with your friends using ordinary print monopoly boards.

Sadly, Jim didn't go for tthis idea sinse he said it'd be too easy to automatically cheat.

While I understand his reasons, i do think it would've been a nice expantion to the game, ---- sinse while I really enjoy monopoly, playing with only one opponent is a litle dull.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-06-25 13:05:18

Well the games I referred to are nothing like Command and Conquer either, usually being turn based and having much larger scope and duration. Think of it as the difference between say Warhammer and Risk, except the C&C games are designed for speed and run in real time. I believe 4X means something like explore, expand, exploit and exterminate. In short, Civilisation and its ilk.

Hmm that is a good point about Monopoly, though if this was made an option when you start the game it might have stopped this. The big trouble I imagine playing Monopoly in this way would be synchronisation of the card decks, since you either have to have the other person use their card deck or have them not use it at all and let Winpoly handle all card draws. Doing a mix of both might end up where duplicates appear.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-06-25 13:47:51

Personally, i like the sound of a stratogy or shooting game or any action game of that sort. and the monopaly would be very fun if you could play it online.  I think this has been covered before but i'll say it again.  the thing i would love to see in an audio game is replay value, some unlockables and something like an indepth story line. because i've noticed that so many of our games make you do the same things again and again so in the end it gets a bit tedius. going off topic here a bit, there are some console games i can play however being blind i obviously cant read the menues which is problematic. my question is, could there be a way or do you guys think it would be a good idea to add something like sapi to the game to make the menues readable like we do for the audio games we make? we might not even have to get the developers to do that.  just my thoughts, i'll write some more game ideas down later, i'm going out now anyway.

2009-06-25 15:44:48

A turn bassed strategy game like civilisation would be interesting, and also something like command and concor. My brother used to play that and I listened. It sounded quite cool, the battles and stuff. Civilisation... I dunno, not many sounds in that game, but command and concor had some rather cool battle sequences.

2009-06-25 15:56:38

C&C is a bit like Sound RTS with guns.

There were other 4X games as well, Civ is just one of the most universally known. There was the Master of Orion series of sci fi games, where you set up colonies on planets instead of building cities. Also Fragile Allegiance where you mined asteroids. There was also the Lords of the Realm series of medieval games where you had to manage food and materials production, weapons production, how much population to recruit to the army and so on. That's why I said I felt the more focused games were more interesting. All these have potential for more sounds. If you're curious, wikipedia is pretty handy for that kind of stuff most of the time.

cx2
-----

2009-06-25 17:36:13

Ah appologies. The only two games I've had a lot of contact with even vaguely close to that genre, ----- ie, the two games my brother and friends have played have been warcraft and sim city on the Snes, so it's not something I'm overly familiar with.

Sounds intreaguing though, particularly given the differences betwene the online versions and an offline game.

Sadly Dan there is no way to add sapi to an existing console game. Even if the game were on the pc, source code would not be available, and any attempt to hack the game would bring the wrath of the huge game companies down on your head. Then of course, Consoles do not have any sort of tts software at all, ---- oh, and most games use images of text, not actual text as well which makes things a non starter.

I agree on the replayability front however there have been some inroads into that recently, ---- judgement day with it's trophy system, and rail racer particularly.

once again though I'm not sure how realistic that suggestion is for the scope of what sander is suggesting here, ---- but I'm guessing we'll see.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-06-25 23:20:22

ah, i was just curious. thanks for clearing up that point by the way.

2009-07-01 12:42:11

Hi Guys! Thanks for your suggestions. Interesting stuff, also for developers.
We've decided to go for a blind-accessible music game. Let's hope the project gets trough...we'll keep you posted!

2009-07-01 13:35:09

Good to hear. Looking back the choice is hardly surprising, but it will be interesting to see what is made of it.

cx2
-----

2009-07-01 16:27:03

What style of music game are you going for? a guitar hero type, or another sort, a bit like rythmic station?

2009-07-01 16:47:09

what about a dj style game like dj hero that's coming?
i think that it'll be more easy and fun to do instead of doing another rb / gh clone

contact info
email:
matrheine at gmail . com

2009-07-03 14:33:10

god d*mn it. and I thought I would explode after rock band...
lol!
jus kitting. best of luck. if you need any high quality crowd sounds feel free to let me know.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2009-07-03 20:38:35

Good luck indeed. I'll be interested to see how this one turns out when it's released.

As I said, my only miner worry with the music game as a project is whether it'll have a high enough degree of difficulty to stop it turning into glorified boppit, ---- but we'll see, and I've got full confidence in the programming skills of those involved in creating it.