2016-09-25 19:48:26

Hi all. I really tried. I tried probably almost as hard as I could to enjoy Linux. But here are my problems with it, accessibility and otherwise.
First, The accessible GUI mail clients are dying off. Thunderbird only has community help now, Mozilla only cares about Firefox, nothing more. Sure there's Seamonkey, but it's not as easy to set up an email account as it is on Thunderbird.
Emacspeak doesn't work in Sonar with Voxin. Sure, I could use it with eSpeak, but the biggest amazing thing about it, the Aural CSS, changing pitch to reflect differences in text, isn't supported by the Espeak speech server. So nope.
The final problem is the unpredictability of Linux accessibility. Gnome was pretty accessible, whereas mate didn't work so well at all, especially the "bottum pannel". So yeah, Linux just isn't good for both learning and efficiency. Sorry, I tried, and deemed it yet unworthy.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2016-09-25 20:08:49

I admire your efforts. I'm on again, off again with linux as well, and while like you, i had a ton of recent inthusiasm to try again, i always reach the same conclusion, linux is fine for servers, but not ready to replace windows or OSX. Usually what puts me off is the minor orca bugs, or how there is no microsoft word equivalent no matter how much people push libre office. Not to mention orca only has one developer right now, and what concerns me the most is when she's gone, then what? Linux accessibility is on the edge of a knife, you never know when it will break, and if we are being flat honest here, it breaks a lot.

2016-09-25 20:35:10

I was thinking of upgrading to Windows 10, but after some research, I decided never to upgrade to it unless some changes to it compared to Windows 7 could be undone.

So I was considering that Linux might be a possibility, but now that I see these posts, I'm not so sure.

And then there's macOS, it sounds like a nice operating system. I've heard it can be made to run on a PC but it's very fragile. The obvious answer is to run it on a Mac, but I don't want to have to pay Apple's over inflated prices for their hardware.

I guess for now I'm stuck with Windows 7, which isn't all bad.

Man, I do wish IBM hadn't dropped the ball on OS/2 Warp, that was a damhn fine operating system that could have sunk Microsoft, if it had been given a decent chance.

2016-09-25 20:50:52

Figment, what exact issues do you have with Windows 10? I'm curious as I might be able to give you a hint on fixing some of these. I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 from 7 a few weeks ago, and within a few hours of customizing I hardly ever notice any difference any more.
Even a while before the upgrade, I was also convinced I would never willingly switch to that system myself, even if they paid me for it. :-)

Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2016-09-25 21:42:22

I completely understand your decision to abandon Linux. There was a point where I would try my best to defend Linux to other fellow blind individuals with respect to accessibility, but I just couldn't maintain the positive outlook, especially given that I began to experience too many inconveniences in doing simple tasks like browsing the web, checking e-mail, and even just chatting on IRC servers. One may argue that I'm just not aware or experienced enough in using the tools that other so-called blind Linux experts tend to recommend or use with moderate success, provided of course that they are willing to deal with and accept the definite unstable accessibility. However, with regards to productivity, it certainly doesn't compare to Windows no matter what people may say. At least, for the moment. Don't get me wrong, I still love Linux, and I sincerely hope it improves in the next few years or so, but I am not too keen on recommending it anymore to people unless they are truly geeks at heart. I mean, you could technically manage everything from the command line (download files, browse the web, listen to podcasts, write documents, etc), but it takes a lot of know-how that quite frankly takes a great deal of time and skill in order to succeed. Personally, the learning experience was great, but Linux is also not quite there for me yet. I'm on a fast track to getting a degree in Computer Science, and I eventually want to write an alternative screen-reader that is just as good, or even better, than ORCA. The problem is the accessibility APIs though. If I can learn to take advantage of their capabilities, I might have a good starting point for something. lol Anyway, just my thoughts.

2016-09-25 23:12:54

I was certainly in the mindset of trying to do anything i could from the command-line, but while i was willing to do the learning, and got pretty far, i realized at a certain point that doing basic day to day tasks just took too many steps for my liking. Having to type out everything can be a fun learning experience, but you can in my view, just get stuff done from a gui much faster. While my inner nerd appreciates learning about jumping directorys with a few commands, or editing config files on the fly, i realized that all of this could be done for me with gui tools, and even gui tools that let me customize things the way i wanted. Lukas and others here have showed me that windows 10 can be customized to one's liking with some work. I have used windows all of my computing life, and don't plan on giving it up any time soon. Not because i can't learn a new Os, or not because i'm not willing to do things differently, it's more that windows does what i need it to do the most efficiently, and it always is proven to me time and time again.

2016-09-25 23:24:45

Yep. I will miss Emacspeak though. If someone can get that fully functional on Windows, and allow it to be upgraded to the latest git version, gosh, that'd be great. For now though, Earcons don't work, voice pitch changing, voice lock I think it's called, doesn't work either. It'd need to be a pretty modular setup to work.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2016-09-26 01:18:30

Yeah these are all points in which I share concerns and the unwillingness to have it be my full time OS. I'm using it in the server space where I feel its meant to be and does its best at. Windows could never do what linux does in the server space. Windows is also a chaos driven orgie of insanity, round about methodology, and the new wish to be the convergeance  of the PC, phone and tablet. It is not that as far as I am concerned. But, what it lacks, it makes up for in accessibility features that mostly work, and if they are not working in an app you have found, its most likely because the developers of that app have not exposed the app's controls to MSAA, or UIA or any other accessibility API.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2016-09-26 01:27:56

Yeah, but Windows doesn't seem to have anything that can rival Emacspeak. It's attention to detail, such as italicized text, links, spelling errors, and even programming, and Emacs even having its own sort of IDE... My gosh, it's just so perfect once it's up and running. Ugh.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2016-09-26 02:46:47

I'm kind of in the same boat as Arqmeister, I started off my computing life with the Apple 2 series, then in 1985 sold off all of my Apple 2 stuff and dove head long into the IBM PC compatible world, and have never looked back or anywhere else.

------

The first thing I heard about Windows 10 were all the privacy concerns, but then I found out that they all had options allowing you to opt out of them, so that concern was dealt with.

Then I started hearing about included apps that had to be replaced because the native ones weren't accessible. The first was the email client, that's not a problem since I'm using Thunderbird, and except for a couple of problems with no apparent solution, I'm satisfied with it. The problems don't prevent me from using it, they are just annoying. There were some other apps that had to be replaced for accessibility reasons, but I can't recall what they were now.

Then I heard that Windows Update was removed from the control panel so it's no longer possible to review and approve of updates before they are installed, you are forced to accept all updates offered. This is a serious issue in my eyes, what if you discover an update that screws up your computer? Sure you can use System Restore to back track it out of your system, but you can't prevent it from being installed again.

I have that problem now with Internet Explorer, the last cumulative update for it changes the way it handles .URL files. .URL files are the files Internet Explorer creates when you bookmark a web page. Instead of just opening them as it's supposed to do, after the update is installed, Internet Explorer now issues a security warning and asks if you want to open or download the file! Even stranger, this only happens if opening the .URL file also launches Internet Explorer, such as choosing a favorite from the Start menu. But if you choose a favorite from within Internet Explorer through its favorites menu, they open normally. I've found what some called solutions to the problem on the Internet, but they always turn out to be partial solutions, or only work once. In Windows 7 I was able to back out of the update, then in Windows Update, hide the update to prevent it from being installed in the future. With Windows Update gone from the control panel in Windows 10, this wouldn't be possible, you'd be stuck with the faulty update until Microsoft fixes it, assuming they do fix it.

And I have no doubt there are other unpleasant surprises waiting. No thank you! I'll just keep using Windows 7.

2016-09-26 03:01:49

Well, you can, with a bit of tweaking, force Windows Update to only notify you when updates are available, then choose to download the updates when you want to. However, that's the extent of it. Sadly, you can't pick and choose which updates you want. I do think this is a huge problem, but one day, Windows 7 will no longer be supported, so I figure I might as well just deal with the crap that Microsoft is dishing out now rather than later. Nobody wants to be backed into a corner and forced to do something unpleasant, so I think it's best, for me at least, to get used to the way things work now.

While it's most likely true that Windows 7 is going to continue to have a cult following after its end of life in 2020, and tweaks and patches will exist to make it marginally more secure, the fact is that it's going to be XP all over again. And let's not forget that the registry hack that most folks are using to make XP receive updates also has an expiration date. What then? Anyone who uses an older OS is living on borrowed time. And, as long as they understand the risks and know what to do in the event that their system is hijacked, I have absolutely no problem with that. I just think that it would be best if people made informed decisions, rather than knee jerk reactions that are based on hearsay. For the record, I don't believe that anyone in this topic was making such assumptions, it's just something to keep in mind, as I find that a lot of people simply cling to a particular OS because it's all they know.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2016-09-26 03:30:15

Yeah, I know that someday I won't be able to avoid Windows 10, but, hopefully, some smart cookie will have figured out how to restore Windows Update to its proper place. Or just get Windows 10 Pro, even though I don't need the business features. In Pro versions of Windows, you will be able to pick and choose which updates you want.

2016-09-26 03:33:12

At the moment, in the pro version, you can only choose to halt the updating of drivers. I really hope this changes in the near future, but I'm not holding my breath. Microsoft thinks they know best, which is a load of crap, but there's not a hell of a lot I can do about that right now.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2016-09-26 09:52:50

I also tried Linux, Vinux in particular, a few times in the past, but like many others, I didn't like it enough to get too far. I even gave up sooner than most of you, probably. :-) I do see its potential and admire it for its philosophy and for what it means to the mainstream, but its day has not come yet in terms of accessibility and ease of use. :-)

True, I haven't realized you can't choose which updates you want and which you don't. However, as I don't use any apps by Microsoft itself at all except for Notepad, Word and Excel, so that means not even IE or Outlook, I'm okay with this new way of update delivery for the moment.

Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2016-09-26 11:35:16

Maybe i'm extremely lucky, but i have never had a microsoft update break my system. So i could give you the, oh, you will probably be fine, but i know people like to be in charge of the update process. Then again, i have several machines around the house, and there plenty of people with only one lol.

2016-09-26 15:50:32 (edited by Figment 2016-09-26 15:54:33)

That is the one thing that keeps Linux from taking over, despite all that it has to recommend it, it is nowhere near as approachable as Windows is, and until it is, it will always remain under the Windows shadow.

I will over look a lot. But I draw the line when a company thinks it can decide what I want on my computer for me. Sorry Microsoft, until you return control over updating to the user where it belongs, I will never upgrade to Windows 10.

2016-09-26 16:15:03

I got nothing to add here, because I already brought my opinions on Linux's strengths and weaknesses in another recent topic in the same subforum. What I'd like to mention is that I'm even no longer using Thunderbird on Windows. The thing is, I'm on imap and whenever I get thousands of emails which happens to me quite frequently, Thunderbird just stops responding either randomly or when I try to delete multiple emails, and I got sick of that. I'm now using japanese email client called Becky, which is far from perfect in accessibility, but it's still accessible and fast enough to be a good replacement for me, at least until all issues in Windows 10 mail app are gone. Becky, however, doesn't work on Linux. I've been using SeaMonkey when I was on Linux.

2016-09-26 16:45:04 (edited by Figment 2016-09-26 16:48:55)

I'm on IMAP too, and have no problems with Thunderbird, my account has about 40 folders and about 1,000 emails in it. But my volume is low, it's taken about 20 years to collect all of that.

Sounds like you need a new email address to leave all the spam behind.

I've had the same email address for almost ten years and very rarely does spam ever get through to my inbox. Even better, my spam filter only has to catch maybe half a dozen spams each month.

Of course there's no telling how many spams get deleted by the service's spam filter before it gets to mine, but I don't care about those because I never see them.

2016-09-26 19:48:12

Thunderbird does the same thing to me. Isn't Becky paid though? I'd rather not have to buy an email client.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2016-09-26 20:02:32

Becky is paid but I still can use tryal version. It warns me that my tryal has expired, but it still works anyway.

2016-09-26 20:34:04

Oh, thanks. Now if I could get emacspeak working on... anything, I'd be happy. Working as in with Voxin or something, not the deprecated espeak driver. I don't know why I'm so drawn to Emacs and Emacspeak, but shoot. I am.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2016-09-26 22:45:59

Do you mean on another Operating System? Have you tried typing in "EMacSpeak for Windows" on Google? lol I did. found this: https://sourceforge.net/projects/emacspeakwin/
Maybe it's not what you want, but it might be worth looking at.

2016-09-27 06:57:10

Have you tried it? I've tried both the "new" version, running emacspeak ... 40 I think? And the old version running, 38 maybe. Old one doesn't run on windows 10, new one doesn't support audio themes nor pitch denotations.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2016-09-28 14:21:21

hey devin i know what you mean. linux accessibility is definitely on the edge of a knife. my best advice is this. if you want to run a linux system with the end user in mind go get an android phone or tablet and use that. android runs on top of the linux kernel. i tried linux for 3 or 4 months about a year or 2 ago. ended up going back to windows just because linux could not quite do everything i wanted my computer to do. can i type commands and stuff? yes. is it as intuitive as windows to install software and things? no.

2016-09-29 02:37:36

I've tried Android too. I have a tablet running 5.0.1. It's just as bad. I just can't let go of Emacspeak. NVDA and word processors just don't get along. NVDA can't show italics and such without turning it on in some dialog, and doesn't announce when italics or bold and all is turned on or not. True, that's not all a word processor is good for, but if it can't handle basic things like that, I don't expect it to handle more complicated things either.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me