2016-09-25 15:11:03

@slender, Amusingly enough, while my lady is by no means a fan of trump, she hates! the idea that the first female president is hilary.
while we were in the states I actually asked her if she wanted to go and register for a postal over seas vote which you can do, and she said not on the basis that she really doesn't care for either of the options available and wouldn't want to support either of them.
Then again we can hardly talk in the Uk given that our first female prime minister jumped streight into a war and one of the biggest economic disasters in our  history.

@Mirage, Thanks for the explanation of how candidacy works, though i confess I still find it a bit nuts that each party only has so many candidates to vote for and that someone can be one just with a load of cashagain I find it believable though extremely sad you've had the hate mail. I'm no fan of what I've seen of Trump, but as I said, I applaud the fact that someone is actually thinking! about the issues in question rather than just going off the usual hype which I'm afraid was rather the impression I got of American politics while I was over there, indeed most political debates among my in laws tended to turn into everyone agreeing how godly and right the republican party is and how low down and underhanded all democrats are, ---- not just hilary but all! of them (I'm afraid I did hear that "o'bama wasn't even born in the us" thing.

so I appreciate that someone in the usa is actually thinking seriously about the thing in question and has! a real opinion.

It reminds me of an idea my brother once had, that instead of everyone just walking into a voting booth or putting a cross on a paper, each election day anyone who wanted to vote must sit through an hour long presentation from each potential candidate (and bare in mind in Britain for each constituency there could be 7 or 8).
only after sitting through all the presentations would someone be allowed to make their vote.
Thus, the only people who would vote would be people who cared enough to A, take a day sitting through a lot of talk to do it, and B, had actually heard all the opinions streight from the potential members of parliament themselves in their own words, extolling their own virtues and that of their party, not from the media or any other source.

I wonder if that! would work? big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-09-25 15:54:41

Unfortunately, you'd probably see a serious shrinking of the voting populace to a very small fraction of what it is now.

2016-09-26 17:43:46 (edited by Slender 2016-09-26 19:17:13)

And now with the presidential debate nearing, I'm trying to ask myself if I really want to watch it or not. On one hand, I feel like I might be able to get info on what the candidates think, but on the flip side, I may not even be getting the facts.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2016-09-26 18:57:23

I'm not going to bother because the chances are pretty good that Trump will turn it into a circus.

2016-09-26 19:34:08

I can't be bothered because my son's birthday party is more important. :d

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2016-09-26 21:03:40

Happy birthday to your son, Nocturnus. Tell him I say hi. big_smile But now that I think about it, I might watch it,, just to see what happens. After all, I'm probably going to face it anyway, so I might as well know what happened, if nothing else.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2016-09-26 22:58:28

Fare point nocturnus, happy birthday to your son, ---- is his name Dayurnus? :d.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-09-27 00:17:05

One of the things that may get a few mixed up when it comes to the voting process here in the USA is that fact that we are not exactly voting directly for the president. What we are doing instead is telling the state that we live in who to vote for. Each state have a set number of delegates of whom vote on the behalf of the inhabitants of the state that they represent. The number of delegates per state is set on the number of people that live in that state. The process over is per say, set up to have a clear winner. Even fewer realize what would happen if we get like three people with the same amount of votes in the end. What would happen in this case is that it would get thrown to the house of representatives. Not too sure what it is called over there in the UK. I do believe it might be the house of commons, or something like that. Trust me, that hasn’t really been seen for over an hundred years if my memory serves right. Anyway, the process is to make sure we have someone in office. Now, as for the things that both sides are saying, we should remember that neither can do what the congress and the courts do not allow them to do. That seems to be amusingly forgotten for some reason. Now for the education thing and or thing where you set through everyone’s one hour speech before voting, Sounds like an good idea at first, but is it worth going through the trouble of making that change to our voting process. A change like that, as far as I know, requires two thirds of the States in the USA to even bring it up and three fourths to make that change stick. Anyway, figure I will bring this up instead of stating who I am planning on voting for. In the end, I might be so fed up that I vote for myself. LOL.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2016-09-27 01:12:37

That's a thought, start a grass roots campaign where everybody does a write in vote for themselves.

That could be quite humorous if enough people did it to get the attention of the media. Even better would be to get the attention of the politicians, but the only thing they care about is themselves. A vote for anyone else is beneath their radar.

2016-09-27 23:45:58

@Dark,
We considered renaming him Batman, since Bruce Wayne really has nothing on this kid other than his billions, but we were concerned with the response we might get from the FBI, the CIA, the NSA, the ATF and the department of homeland security.  Hilary might fumble his records accidentally in an email, and Trump might have him guard his many establishments without paying him a dime.  for those reasons and because we do!  Love our son, , we settled on Nightwing instead.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2016-09-28 03:22:11

Well Nocturnus, hopefully with a name like that your son will turn out to be a decent upstanding sort of chap, rather than a hoodlum who goes around robbin people, ---- sorry couldn't resist! big_smile.