2016-09-24 09:25:17 (edited by Chris 2016-09-24 09:33:09)

Here's what I've been reading for the past few years. I am mainly into fantasy so that it what you will get. Cassandra Palmer is a somewhat interesting series about a clairvoyant who becomes Pythia. She can travel through time and does all kinds of crazy crap. There are also vampires, mages, demons, and other things I'm forgetting. The last two books haven't been that great, but I can't wait for Ride the Storm.

I also found a series called Michael Vey which is about these kids with electrical powers. Michael is the main character and he can produce electric current to shock, magnetize, and a few other cool things. There are other types of abilities like a person who is basically a human EMP. I also like the Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong. Those are just a few I can think of right now.

I'll have to check out these passage books. They sound like they would interest me.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2016-09-24 15:35:40 (edited by grryfindore 2016-09-24 15:37:35)

Ahoy all

at Mirage I guess we both are quite similar when it comes to not rereading books, however I have simply had to do with rereading my favourites as there are spells when I don't come across anything at all that is to my liking, so rereading stuff that I really like is the only option left in such cases.

callled Dragons sounds good, let us know how it goes as you read ahead. sounds like another one I'll be adding to the list.
Puppys reminds me, I have been talking about liking books with animals in them either as the main character or  any character that is recurring, and I haven't even written about any of my favorites  big_smile
The Art of Racing in the rain should be familiar to most here, and if it isn't I'd highly suggest reading it.
Although its quite sad at points, and its one of those books that have managed to bring tears to my eyes but eh, what can I say I'm a silly fart when it comes to dogs.
A very interesting take on dogs is the book A dogs purpose and this one I prefered to listen rather than reading with eloquence, because the narrator just hits the right spots with this one.
There's also a sequel, and it goes without saying if you try the first you will very likely end up liking the second, as well

slight spoilers for city of mirrors

When I came upon the carter and Rachel part myself I was a bit oh no, man. but the guy deserves it considering...
The sweetest saddest character in the book,IMO.
But then again, didn't Justin ended up doing something a bit similar with phanning and you know who.
Spoilers end

I never! ever go for anything with vampires or werewolves, I guess toilet (sorry to the series's fan if there are any)and far too many books like it for me to give any of them a try.
But I made an exception for the passage trilogy and I'm glad that I did. If not for the awesome writing and a farely good story,then discovering the author who writes so dam well.

I actually write farely slow, its not the typing speed but my thoughts are scattered all over the place and sometimes In writing one thing I entirely forget the other big_smile for instence the cornwell and sharpe series.
I agree with the sharpe books taking a bit of a low slump as they move on in the order of publishing, and one thing you'll notice with bernard cornwell, although to be fare many authors who write so much do this too so he isn't the only one to blame,but over time you tend to notice same kind of patterns being repeated in 1 way or the other. which get a bit tiresome after a while,but for all that I like him quite a lot.
Speaking of, I finished the winter kings yesterday, and indeed I see quite a lot of Uhtred in  Derfel but I guess that would be the other way round since the warlord series was done first?

I actually as I have said before wanted to listen to GOT in audio myself, someone preferably old and in a voice similar to dotrice's hence it was even more sad how bad at reading he was.
Listening to him I noticed and it was really irritating he couldn't even do voices properly. He'd speak a dialogue in a person's voice and then go on to read sentences in the same voice,then change to another's voice when and as the  person spoke and speak the words in between the dialogues in the same voice as he was speaking in. I mean,come on...
Even audiobook readers who do it as a hobby and are not proffessionals are better than that...
I would have really loved to have a version of GOT that was in audio and wasn't done by him,but alas.

I think I'll be rolling dice to choose what I read next, whether I go on with the hole warlord series or start something entirely new while I play crazy partys which quite surprisingly has loads of those little worlds and minigames to play which are fun at the same time, but that's for another topic and another day.

Fun reading!
grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2016-09-24 16:44:24

@Mirage, the passage and indeed the hole trilogy is astoundingly good, and as I said in my city of mirrors review I was quite amazed being as I was not expecting something so deep from what is essentially a zombocalypse story, ---- or vampocalypse or whatever the virals might be. I'm trying to persuade my lady to read it, and she probably will since she ís good about recommendations, but she isn't generally a fan of post appocalyptic stuff and actively dislikes zombie fiction, though she did enjoy Steven King's The Stand, which Cronin has often been compared to though imho they're rather different stories.

One thing I particularly admire in Cronin's writing is that as Grryf said, he writes some truly decent characters. it often amazes me how hard it is for authors to write someone who is just a good person, not a cardboard cutout hero who is crushed by duty or guilt, just someone who is a decent person trying to do the right thing, the sort of person who would lend you your bus fair home if you forgot your wallet big_smile.
It's ironic, writing realistically nice is so difficult. rowling can do it, Cronin can do it, but it's quite amazing that so few other writers can.

@Chris, those sound interesting. I've not yet found an urban fantasy series I thought amazing. Jim Butcher's dresden books are fun, but irritate me a little too much with repeating tropes, sexism, dresden's winjing, the fact nobody is a normal human or can stay one, the fact Dresden keeps acquiring random powers etc.
Even Tad williams urban fantasy Bobby Dollar series I didn't find got my interest, too many cliches and random chases despite a unique premise,  I enjoyed happy hour in Hell but that more for william's rather weerd take on Hell than anything else, and since most of the book was set in hell rather than on earth it probably doesn't qualify as urban fantasy anyway.

My lady has recommended me seanon mcguire, both her october day series about a fay detective living on earth, and her stand alone sparrow hill road about a ghost trying to find out why she died, and I really want to read those since Urban fantasy as a genre has a lot of potential but everything I've seen has been far too superficial and cliche ridden, indeed some of my complaints have been similar to my complaints of super hero fiction and since urban fantasy and super heroes are related it's probably why.

then again, I do enjoy the buffy the vampire slayer tv series so hay maybe I'll find something I like in the genre.

@Grryf, I'll let you know on Dragon's milk, I do intend to write a review, indeed my lady and I finished startide rising yesterday and I'm halfway through a review for that one.
I haven't heard of racing in the rain, who is it by? but my lady has recommended me A dog's purpose and a dog's journey, both of which I have on my victor stream now and will definitely read in the future, (though as I have probably about 150 books on my victor stream ranging from the masters of roam series to Big finishe's audio drama version of Dracula that's probably not saying much big_smile).
Glad you liked the winter king, the series doesn't actually slump, though you will be surprised where some characters end up.
I do agree Cornwell has some things he likes to write, like the main character being a soldier who ends up with a woman he's comfortable with rather than his youthful crush, and there always being both a good authority figure in charge (colonel lawford and hogan in the Sharpe books, Arthur in the Warlord books), as well as a grizled sergeant type character who's the main character's best friend and usually an over bearing arse in charge who is an antagonist. these get a bit much when repeated too often in too many books to the same character, eg, I didn't mind Sharpe's womanizing when it was one or two women but when he's running into astonishingly beautiful nice ladies in each book? (the later ones get rather bad for this), ditto with him running into random battles or antagonistic arses who often just turn out to be shallowly evil (the guy in sharpe's trafalgar was pretty bad for this again).

Then again, I liked the warlord series because they're a very tightly plotted and quick story, and you don't have those patterns repeating to the main character multiple times (I love the way Durval stays true to and adores his wife), indeed like many authors Cornwell seems in a good place when he can write a story with a beginning, middle and definite end, rather than one that just bimbles on endlessly book after book after book repeating the same tropes.

I don't recall dothrees being that bad Grryf, though it did irritate me when he'd begin one book without clearly having listened to his narration for a previous one, the way Denaeris changed from sounding like a young girl in books 1-3 to having this strangely harsh voice that made her sound like an old hag in books 4 and 5 (and a weerd almost irish brogue), was very disconcerting.

Still, I don't know if dothrees will be reading the rest of the Songs of ice and fire books. In World of ice and fire he occasionally stopped and was replaced by someone else who did footnotes and things, while someone else read Knight of the seven kingdoms, the compilation of the dunc and egg novellas set 100 years or so before the series about prince Egon the fourth.

Btw, world of ice and fire is actually a nice read if your into the series, though probably a bit much if not, albeit that it's in many ways the most depressing book of the lot "and then there was this awesome king whom everyone liked and who was a great ruler, ---- who left the throne to his son who caused a horrible war with lots of people dying and amazing amounts of gorey destruction!"

Oh, and btw if you think the Rains of castamea is disturbing now, you should read the full story of what tywin did to house rain, ---- yeeeeeech! and I thought Tywin couldn't get any worse! big_smile.

I shudder every time I hear it.

Wow, that was a long reply, but I love discussing books, as you might have gathered.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-09-25 17:47:42

Ahoy all

I have just started with the uplift war and the concepts indeed seem to be unique and very interesting. to say that I have started is more akin to I have just read the first chapter or so, and I already know I'll like this book,for sure.

I couldn't have expressed it better about cronin and so many of my favorite authors better than dark did.

how hard it is for
authors to write someone who is just a good person, not a cardboard cutout hero

add in any other stereotype in  heros place and you have the perfect mold for almost 90% of the books characters out there.
If they are evil, they are truly evil, if they are good, why you'd be hard put to find a saint better than them.
The kind of characters I like aren't just one of those types but are a blend of everything.
Even the most worse person will have 1 or 2 redeeming qualities and the same applies for the good ones out there.
That is Imo, what makes a interesting character and someome you remember even after the book is done with.
Colleen McCullough is another that's particularly good at creating these types of characters.

Even though I don't usually mind superhero books, wait I'm not sure if I do as the only! book or fictional work I have read in that genre would be the worm web serial, so I couldn't really say,but yes I haven't really enjoyed much of the urban fanticy or Young Adult books that I have read.
sparrow hill road sounds waguely interesting but alas I wasn't really able to find the author when I searched for her on the place I get all my books from so I guess her books aren't available.
Speaking of which, I wasn't able to find Dragon's milk either, so I guess I'll go and have a look on other places for those.
I suppose  I Could have  asked dumbledore if it was dragon's blood I was looking for big_smile but alas

roy dotrice  does improve in the later books, but in the first book and the second in the GOT series he was so bad that I simply couldn't stand him.
He does have the perfect voice for the story like GOT, and the manner in which he delivers the characters dialogues is good too,but its just his inability to switch from a characters voice to the reading voice when reading words that aren't in a dialogue I find truly disappointing and frustrating.

Hehehe, I like these type of threds just because they end up providing me with loads of new things to read besides its always interesting to read about the views or reviews of a book by different people.

Oh and dark, The Art of Racing in the Rain is by Garth Stein, written from a dogs point of view who thinks he will be born as a human if he is prepared for it.
While this description may put some people off the book, the book doesn't go into it "To" deeply or at least not all the time. plus the way the author  writes is too good imo.

And at dark again, I wasn't refering to the warlord series taking a slump but the sharpe series in my previous post smile
I also did feel that the new woman with each new book and a bit of the character of sharpe as we had come to see changed in the books that were published after the tv/show/ movie.
Although ironically the TV show on the history channel in india was where I was introduced to Richard sharpe and liked the show enough to go looking for books years later when I realised that there were books out there, which I could access using computers and the internet.

grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2016-09-25 19:37:00

@Grryf, agreed on realistic and three dimentional characters, rather than overblown architypes. I won't say all ya novels I've read have been that bad, i actually liked Catnis and peter in the hungar games for that reason despite the fact I thought Colins messed the plot up in the last two books. Still starting with someone quite prepared to kill to survive and then exploring it's affects on her was far more interesting than the opposite way around, and Peter definitely falls into the realistically decent category.

I could say the same for The Maze runner trilogy, particularly the main character Thomas, actually if you want to see ya semi post appocalyptic done well with some great twists and definitely good characters those are worth a try. I'm actually looking forward to peers Brown's red rising trilogy which has had very high praise for also being a ya series which is actually well written and not falling into the usual cliches, ---- then again all of these are sf rather than fantasy so maybe the bad characterizations only crop up when people have super powers? that's another reason I'm looking forward to trying Seanan Mcguire's stuff as an urban fantasy about fay and such in the modern world which Mrs. Dark said was extremely good.

Either way the uplift war I think you will like, indeed I've just finished my review for startide rising and my lady and i were having a friendly arguement about which was better since I've given Startide rising one extra point over the uplift war, ---- she liked the characters better in uplift, I liked the plotting better in Startide rising even though it's definitely not as good an intro to Brin's universe, then again Startide rising is quite a bit darker too which probably suits me big_smile.

As to Sharpe, actually the tv adaptations done by Itv over here are pretty good, because Sean been makes a great sharpe. Interestingly enough, apparently Paul mcgan was down to play sharpe (which would've been interesting), given that mcgan is a dark haired cockney, but he managed to break his ancle on the first day of shooting so they got in Sean Been in a hurry.
Cornwell gives a rather nice little nod to the tv series in the books when he mildly retcons sharpe's history, or at least reveals that while he did indeed grow up in London he ran off to sheffield as a teenager which was where he was recruited from, hence explaining Sean Been's very yorkshire voice.

I haven't seen all of the tv adaptations, though I was pleasantly surprised at most of them. I'm not sure though if the changes in Sharpe are entirely due to the tv versions, since also remember in many of the later published books  Sharpe was far younger than he was when we see him from ssharpe's rifle's onward, ---- of course those books were also written far later when Cornwell had written rather more books about Sharpe, so who knows.

Still as I said, while I enjoyed several of the Sharpe books, in general I actually thought his none sharpe stuff was better.

My lady agrees with you about Colleen McCullough, indeed the principle reason she didn't read the last book was that all the character's she liked had died, indeed that's why she recommended them to me since she said in that respect they were similar to Martin big_smile.

It's been about four years since i heard the Roy Dothrees versions of Asoiaf. As I remember I think I preferd his voicing in the first few, certainly his changing voices didn't occur until later in the series, but I could be wrong, particularly since while I love the series, it is true that A feast for crows was a bit of a disappointment which was only partly ameliorated by A dance for dragons, ---- though judging by end of Dance for dragonns the series seems to be getting well back on track and winds of winter should theoretically be awesome again, ---- I wish martin would get on and write the thing! :d.

As to Dragon's milk, well it's very good for hot milk shakes, --- -and the book is okay, though still a bit to obvious in it's characters at this point, we'll see how it shapes up since I should be finishing it soon, then writing a review.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)