2016-09-21 16:10:48

Hello all,
Someone recently told me that it was possible to modify or add NVDA's voices. A friend of mine had a voice of eSpeak that is based on the Max voice, except that it annunciates its consonants a lot better than they usually do.
as a person who suffers from hearing loss, I was surprised that something like that is possible. I constantly play gams on RS and Playroom, and an issue I keep having is not being able to distinguish the difference between Ace and 8. They all sound the same to me.
Now, I wear hearing aids in which the sounds are transposed, so that the S and other sounds would sound darker than they were originally. Of course, if you have perfect pitch, you might find this hard to get used to, unless you found a way to turn it off.
So my question is, is there a way to do this? If so, what would I need to do? If you can provide a detailed list of instructions that would be sincerely appreciated.
Best,
-Ulysses

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2016-09-23 02:06:35

I don't doubt it, but I don't know how it could be done.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2016-09-23 06:23:47

I'm already in touch with the guy who made the Lang file.
He suggests that I get the Speak Player eSpeak Add-on. I have no idea what that is, nor how it would function if I did get it.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2016-09-23 06:42:20

Theres a section on their website that covers modifying and adding voices to espeak that may be a good place to start: [link]

For pronunciations it seems you'd want to edit the _list.* files in "espeak/dictsource/".

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2016-09-23 10:16:26

Hello,
Here's some clarification. The stuff will apply to the NVDA's version of eSpeak, so I would need to figure out which files to edit that will show up in NVDA's voice dialogue box.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2016-09-23 22:34:53

Hmm, alright. There seems to be a guide over at Accessibility Central that describes how to install new Espeak Voices into NVDA, along with other information that may prove useful on the subject: [link]

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer