2016-09-20 11:51:25

Hello. I've been noticing something when I try and play a few specific games on Windows. When I open the application via a shortcut(on Windows 10 and a Windows 7 VM) it says the application has stopped working, and it won't respond at all. Do you know what could be causng this problem, and how to fix it?
Thanks for any help

2016-09-23 02:54:39

You haven't provided nearly enough information to allow us to even begin to advise you. Which specific games? This problem could be caused by a flaw in the game itself or by missing resources on your computer. Try reading the game's manual and looking for system requirements. If it tells you that some libraries must be installed (like DirectX, etc) then install those and try again. If the games are very old you might be fighting a losing battle trying to make them run on newer versions of windows. Try an XP VM in this case. If the game just has a bug that's causing it to crash, then all you can do is file a bug report and hope for the best.

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2016-09-23 05:58:03

I am sorry for the lack of specificity. Let me elaborate a bit more. My issue has appeared in 3 specific titles: Rail Racer demo, The Horse Racing Game, and Star Trek Final Conflict. They have worked on Windows 7 before, as I used to own a Windows 7 machine. When I open these games, a message appears that the game's executable has stopped working and a solution is being checked for by Windows. I have installed Direct X, still with no luck. Is any more information needed to help me with this issue? If so, let me know. Again, my apologies for the lack of specifics.

2016-09-24 02:25:01

Your old Win7 machine and your new Win7 machine could be very different in turms of installed software libraries. I would suggest emailing the developers of the games in question, if that is still possible. They might know of a workaround for running the games on windows 7 (like a specific package you need to install), or they might be able to investigate.
There are a lot of games out there that just don't work well on newer operating systems because they haven't been updated to keep up with the curve and Microsoft has broken something they were depending on.
If the game just hard crashes then some library it's trying to use functionality from might be older or newer than the version expected by the program and something's changed.
I'm really just speculating though, only the developers of the games have the ability to tell you for sure.
One final thing you might try is to download and install the runtime package from Gym Kitchen's site. Not saying it'll magically fix your games, but it's been known to get legacy games running on newer systems before and so it's worth a shot.
Otherwise try an XP VM.

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2016-09-26 06:01:50

okay. an update.
I tried installing the games on an XP VM, and when I opened Star Trek Final Conflict(installing Microsoft .net Framework prior to doing so as it was required) and I received the following peculiar error without the quotes. "If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost." with a close button presented. What can I do from here, as I cannot contact the developers of any of the three games I am having problems with because of the passing of the developer, the lack of support for the title, or the mysterious vanishment from the audiogames community. Thanks for any further help on this issue.

2016-09-27 02:40:32

Sadly it sounds like you're pretty well out of options. If the game is bugged and just crashes, and the developer is unreachable you might just have to cut your losses. Try installing the runtime libraries from Jim Kitchen's website. Try to find the specific versions of the libraries as suggested by your game's manual. If your efforts don't pay off then you might be stuck. This is a sad reality when it comes to computer programs; if they aren't being maintained they get left in the dust and die.