2016-09-19 17:50:34

@ianhamelton, more configuration options would be good, but my thinking is that again, all of those things you mentioned are commonplace for any screenreader. There's no one advantage to using NVDA as the base other than the fact that it's free. All the things that make it NVDA like object navigation, the keyboard commands, addons, are all pretty windows specific. And it would technically be a misnomer too, since NVDA means non visual desktop access and the ps4 is definitely not a desktop! hahaha. But I see where you're coming from, and to be honest, I don't really care what they call the screenreader as long as it gets made. lol In short, for me personally, the existing base for covering dynamic text to speech scenarios would be the only reason for using NVDA as a base. the stock ESpeak voices with NVDA are horrible, and since voices are mostly designed for windows, the quality of the voices aren't screenreader dependent. And thanks for clarifying about your position. I would say that it has basically all the configuration you need as it stands right now... volume, speech rate, and an on and off function. The only thing missing is pitch and voice selection options, but until more voices get made for it if at all, that option doesn't really have to be there. haha.

Porting may not be as time consuming as rewriting, which is why they would've been smart to do what you suggested and licensing NVDA. The problem there again comes with having to learn the programming environment for the particular screen reader. Again, it would be like porting voiceover to Windows... it might not be as bad as designing a complete screen reader, but I think the process would be enough of a hastle. But I'm not a programmer, these are just educated guesses based on thinking and research. Porting would be less time for sure, but less costly financially? I'm not so sure about that if they had to pay licensing fees for an existing product, though they could probably negotiate something with NV Access. It doesn't seem practical to me, but I'm not a programmer, so you might know more about this than I would.

Ah, my appologies about lack of understanding in regards to the ADA and CVAA. But remember that while it does that now, it was originally introduced soully for party chat and messaging... which makes me think the CVAA, if it wasn't all of the reason, was definitely a huge chunk of it. Also doesn't explain why other regions aren't supported... the maker of the ps4 is a company based in Japan. If it wasn't for the sake of compliance, Japan at least should be supported too along with the US, which is why I think that compliance was definitely a part, demonstrated by the fact that a ps4 that's not bought in this region doesn't even let you cheat by changing the language option. There has to be something there, and it's definitely not an accident.

Either way, this all boils down to the problem that we just aren't a big enough market for them to do anything more than barebones improvements. the TTs started way back in version 2.5 or version 3 of the firmware if I remember right. going through to two numbered versions now, if they really cared I think they would've made some major improvements especially seeing how far ahead of them Microsoft is with the Xbox1. Having said all this, I love my ps4... and if I was asked to choose consoles again, I would make the same choice.

Discord: clemchowder633

2016-09-20 01:21:53

Hello folks! Yeah, even living in Brazil, I managed to buy myself a PS4 from the US in order to be able to use the TTS thing. I agree it still lacking many things, but things as they are are enough for me to have some fun.
The last topic some people opened about the accessibility on the PS forums had some minor results I guess, so maybe we can get back there and write some more encouraging words and suggestions. I know it is not about benevolence, but we've had some nice changes so far regarding console accessibility, be it due to law enforcement or not. Maybe they can go on with this, since the bases were already built.. It can be worth the time.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2016-09-20 09:12:10

Yep both PS4 and XB1 have gone quite far beyond basic compliance, so what I'd really hope for is that CVAA will have just given some extra impetus, helped get conversations going around accessibility. As far as I'm aware every PS4 update has had some kind of accessibility improvement... in the case of 4.00, it's improved large text option.

2016-09-20 11:09:54

Definitely not disagreeing with you and as I stated above, if things do improve even more than I am going to be over the moon. Maybe it was just my way of stating my disappointment about such a major ps4 firmware upgrade not receiving any TTS improvements. I still think they coded it in a very stupid way so that they manually have to add chunks of what to support.

2016-09-20 14:54:56

Hello folks! assault_freak, I'm not so innocent as to not notice, understand and agree, to some extent, with your statements about the current situation. We're not at the top of the priority list to get things done in a market point of view, that's for sure. But since some accessibility steps has been taken, even if not towards us in the latest updates, it can eventually be done. Our work however is to constantly let them know we still want it.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2016-09-20 17:32:59

True that. but while I believe in letting them know, I also feel like we need to be realistic enough to know that without responses from the company, constantly badgering them is like trying to punch your way through a solid wall. Microsoft have at least proven to be responsive to the idea, whereas Sony have kept very, very quiet on the subject of making the consoles accessible. I don't disagree that reminding them is important, I just don't personally see the point at times as if you look at it, efforts by people previously haven't met with all that much success, and I can't believe the programmers at Sony would've skimped on such an important detail as coding the TTS to be able to read everything, instead of a bit at a time whenever they decide to add more in. It's not like the existing technology isn't there, screenreading has been around for more than a fair amount of time. It just puzzles me. hahaha. But I do think letting them know is important, as fruitless as it might be, hence why I brought back my thread about it on the playstation forums. And yet again, other than folks who are blind, there's been no response from anyone else, not even other gamers who support the idea which would probably get to Sony eventually. lol

2016-09-20 20:55:56

Yep you never know, a couple of years ago the idea of any kind of TTS on console would have seemed like a ludicrously unrealistic idea smile

2016-09-20 21:09:28

It's very true... and I'm glad we have at least somewhat of a start now! It's not as good as I like it, but I can use the functions I need with the combined console and web interface. Awesome stuff!