2016-09-15 22:54:32

Hi,
So as some of you might know, quite a while a go on here, years ago in fact, I asked about Rockbox, a fermware for some mp3 players that effectively made them talk.
I settled on a sansa clip plus. Well, it was some of the best money I'd ever spent.
It's lasted a good while, but a month a go I believe it's now bitten the dust. The headphone jack died. This has lasted a good six years, so I'm impressed.
As a result though, the Sansa Clip Plus has been discontinued by the looks of it, and I'm looking for another player that supports Rockbox. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2016-09-15 23:37:02

Clarification: the headphone jack is experiencing some problems. When putting any headphones into the Sansa, it sometimes just plays out of one ear. I'm actually wondering if, perhaps, trying to clean the jack might actually help a bit.

2016-09-16 00:10:16

If you look on the rockbox site, which still does exist, the supported device list is on there along with firmware files for each.

2016-09-16 13:45:54

The trouble is it's then knowing which ones I can get ahold of. I think a lot of them might be discontinued now.

2016-09-16 14:54:07

if it's only the jack that has problems i'm sure you can replace it at a relatively low cost. just go somewhere where they repair phones and other devices and i'm sure they'll change it for you.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2016-09-16 15:45:04

i know the accessible electronics website sells rockbox players still i think.

2016-09-16 16:04:34

The sequel to the clip Plus is called the sansa clip zip. Perhaps they're still selling that one.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2016-09-16 19:23:07

@Aaron

If you can afford it, take a look at the Victor Reader Stream from Humanware. It's pricey at $369, but worth every penny, in my opinion, and it's fully accessible without needing to mess with Rockbox.

@joshknnd1982

What is the URL for that accessible electronics web site?

2016-09-16 19:56:57

@Figment: the reason I'd like another Rockbox, and hopefully another Sansa Clip Plus, is because I've got the config I can just carry over to it without much hassle. Also, it's because it's mostly used when I'm on the beach, I plug my headphones in, so it needs to be quite cheap.
Unfortunately the Sansa Clip Zip isn't being sold, the Sansa Clip Sport and Clip Jam don't support rockbox because they are apparently too limiting.

2016-09-16 21:02:40

oh no... no no. Not the talking mp3 players person. That guy's prices are way high for the effort involved.  He's taking mp3 players you can get for about $30 to $40 in the US, putting rockbox on them, and then selling them for roughly double the price. Terrible. It takes roughly 10 minutes to have yourself a fully rockboxed player, maybe about 20 minutes more to generate the voice clips for a music collection and copy them across. With aaron being in the UK, not only would he get ripped off by the guy, he'd have to pay for international shipping, import duties and by the time he's done all that, he could have went and got an ipod touch or something. If I were you, I'd attempt to track something like
This down.
I dunno Why they are so hard to find here in the UK, I can find sansa clips 10 a penny on US sites, but they seem to have dried up here.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2016-09-16 21:05:27

Ah yes, I'd be very reluctant to take the Victor Reader to the beach. For that I'd want something cheap too.

Have you tried eBay? You can often find discontinued stuff there. Two weeks ago I picked up an NFL strategy game from 40 years ago.

2016-09-18 09:51:09

I think post 10 is referring to www.talkingmp3players.com who you could investigate if you are serious about a Rockbox player.

2016-09-18 14:45:15

I think there's one on the way, possibly two! One of them already has ROckbox so it'll be a matter of jsut copying and pasting, although we might lose that one as it's a biddable one on Ebay. If not, then there's a brand new Sansa Clip Plus on the way anyway, and again I'll just put rockbox on it followed by my Rockbox configuration.

2016-09-18 14:56:14

If you end up with both of them, you'll have a backup.

Oh, I thought it was a site with a general selection of accessible electronics, not a site dedicated to rockbox capable mp3 players.