2016-08-22 22:33:30 (edited by ianhamilton_ 2016-08-22 22:44:10)

So, what you need a headset for is for two things, firstly to give you some lenses to be able to focus on a screen right in front of your eyes, and secondly to house the gyroscopes etc. to be able to track where your head is pointing.

For mobile VR, the head tracking is taken care of by the phone's gyrosccope, so the headset is only there to give you some lenses.

So if you don't care about the visuals, you can still get a sense of what VR is about - i.e. 3d positional audio combined with head tracking - just from a smartphone and a pair of headphones.

The easiest way to see what the fuss is about is to watch a 360 + spatial audio video on youtube. Unfortuately the iOS youtube app doesn't support it, but if you can get hold of an Android phone, open the following video in the youtube app (important - must be the app, not the youtube website, and the app must be up to date):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uayp7VRoL3Y

The once it is playing, hold the phone close to your face, screen facing you. If you're wearing stereo headphones you should now be hearing binaural audio, you are standing in the middle of a room surrounded by band members all around you in a circle, and you should be able to tell where in 3D space the different instruments are. Listen for where an instrument is, for example if the piano is off to your right, and turn your body to face that direction. That instrument should now be in front of you.

That should be able to give you the gist of what 3D audio + head tracking is about. And VR devs are big on audio, lots of investment is being poured into binaural audio as a result of VR. It's needed for immersion for all players, but also has nice potential for more immersive experiences for blind gamers too.

If you're on iOS you could give this a try, it's a collection of 360 head tracked videos that have spatial audio, but you'll need sighted assistance to get one of them playing: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jaunt-v … 52748?mt=8

2016-08-23 16:27:37

Wow.
Do you know if there are any games that can use this tech without a headset? Although, I did enjoy Papa Sangre with the gyroscope and audio defence, so I'm guessing this is the sort of evolution of that, and now lots of devs are taking part.

2016-08-23 23:44:29 (edited by ianhamilton_ 2016-08-24 13:28:14)

Audio defence is a perfect comparison. The difference is that VR is normally with a headset, i.e. your phone physically strapped to your face. And for sighted players there are visuals too, which update to where you're facing in the same way that the audio does.

Did it work well for you then? What do you think about the potential of the tech for blind accessible gaming?

Here's a VR audio game for Android, just a little standard blind swordsman game that was made in a game jam, but having the people around you makes it a bit different from the usual:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comment … h=3e5e23e2

The developer recommends using a headset so it can pick up on subtle head tilting etc. You can get very cheap headsets for less than $10 that are just a cardboard phone cradle with headstrap and lenses, e.g.

https://www.amazon.com/Cardboard-Virtua … with+strap

2016-08-24 00:47:40

Hi.
How would this work for pc users.
As far as a 3d card, I do have a 3d card with 3dfx, an old sb play that should work, its totally bad with speech to choppy but is good for music.
I have aquired just reacently a pair of andriea electronics recording phones with a andria superbeam usb soundcard for 30 us dollars from amazon which has no effects but are supposed to be 3d enabled.
I have senheiser hd205 studio dj quality headsets I use for general gaming and audio production.
Sadly anything else is a bit expensive, I had 2.1 speakers surround sound enabled logitech zs100s but well its all I have been able to afford.
I don't have the 5.1 stereo system for true 3d.
Are there 3d headsets for computers and how much are they or is there something cheaper than that giving I won't be using 3d all the time.

2016-08-24 01:04:46 (edited by ianhamilton_ 2016-08-24 01:22:20)

For PC you would need to spend a very large amount of money on an Oculus Rift or an HTC Vive. They have very high system requirements.

At the moment I don't think many blind gamers really get how VR works and how it could be relevant to blind accessible gaming, assuming instead that it's just about visuals.... but if you can just have a play around with your phone you can start to get an idea of that without having to shell out a load of money on fancy kit.

2016-08-24 08:25:17

Hi.
This is really cool indeed. this is what Sony and Microsoft is working on, in their VR headsets. This is going to be really interesting.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2016-08-24 13:04:32

Have you tried it SLJ?

Microsoft are working on augmented reality, whereas sony/oculus/htc/samsung/google etc are working on virtual reality.

What the two approaches share is being able to track where your head is pointing, and update the output to reflect that, so sounds, visuals etc are located where they would actually be relative to your head. 

Where they vary is that virtual reality shows the visuals through screens strapped to your face, so you just see what's on the screens and nothing else. So you might for example be in a fantasy world looking at a monster sat on a rock.

In augmented reality the display also shows what is in the room in front of you, the visuals are layered on top of the real world. So you might for example be in your living room looking at a monster sat on your coffee table.

Pokemon Go is another example of augmented reality, as you move your phone around you are shown the view from the phone's camera, with the graphics of the pokemon layered on top, appearing to actually sit somewhere in the real world.

2016-08-24 13:41:00

Wow thanks for the awesome information. No, I haven't tried it yet, but I look very much forward to see this in action.
Regarding the audio, we already have the same effect when turning the ipHone, where the audio also pans in some of the audio games.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2016-08-25 12:23:31

Yes, Audio defence is the closest comparison. However Audio Defence is a niche example, most iPhone games do not work like that. Every VR game works like that. So if a game happens to be accessible without visuals, in a similar way to GTA or Resident Evil for example, the game will already have Audio Defence style audio panning in it.

The more expensive VR headsets also have tracked controllers, something you hold in each hand that allows the system to know exactly where your hands are, as well as where your head is. For example one of the launch demos is firing a longbow at a target, you point one hand towards the target as Iif you were holding a bow, and use the other hand to pull back the string as you would do in real life, and press a button on it to release the string.

2016-09-11 14:47:55

Has anyone given it a try?

2016-09-13 01:42:23

As fro head tracking, we do have Aprone's See Monkey. That is usb, but that's not a huge deal. It's 50 bucks so not too bad at all, and extremely! durable. He did various tests to prove it, like running over it with his car, and even as much as lighting it up in the fire! with very minimal damage.

2016-09-15 19:19:53

Frustrating!

For context, this is for a post about VR accessibility, covering all kinds of impairment but including the huge potential it has for blind gaming, with encouragement for developers to explore it. However I can't really mention that without some quotes from blind gamers, and I can't find even a single person from either here or twitter who is interested in having a play around. No takers?

2016-09-16 09:49:07

I've been wanting to try this out but haven't had the time lately.  I'll get it done in the next couple of days, time permitting and let you know what I find, if noone else does it first.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.
***If you wish to refer to me in @replies, use Sightless***

2016-09-18 03:59:46

Thankyou!

2016-09-19 14:29:52

It doesn't really seem all that cool to me. I'm find with using keyboards and game pads to play games.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me