2016-09-15 18:54:22 (edited by preiman790 2016-09-15 18:57:38)

so let's start with mining, mining is probably the best way to make money even with the town mines and a few in the wild dangerous places being your only options, the thing is it takes a while to get to a place where you're finding good stuff and quickly enough to make it worth it. polishing gems is the same way, when you start you'll lose money because you are not very good at it, but as you get better, you drastically increase  the gem's value.

foraging is good at first, because it costs nothing to start, and is safe or relatively so, but it will never be the cash generator that some of the other professions are, even logging can make you more money more quickly. if you do want to make money just foraging herbs, you can try and sell the cooking and medicinal herbs to players, or learn how to make poultices yourself, and then sell them. but you need a minimum skill and a n ability to make your own poultices.

2016-09-15 18:59:11

So now that I've gotten that post out of the way. If anyone is interested in trying CLOK, I am going to be on for most of the day, and am always more than happy to assist any new player in getting starttted, and helping to figure out if CLOK is the right MUD for you.

2016-09-16 10:37:33 (edited by JasonBlaze 2016-09-16 10:39:06)

any idea wich material are worth to sell?
I got iron yesterday, but after I turn it into a bar, I didn't got that mutch, I seriously need some rilns now,  specially for a house, need to store my  stuff, heheh, I know we could store it on bank but it is  make my rilns fly away.
when I writing this, I'm traveling to haiban to try mining again, if still no luck, I will back to my old activity, searching for a rare trees and chop it down big_smile
oh yeh, another question, what happend if I logout when riding a horse?

2016-09-16 17:57:01

If you log out while riding a horse, the horse despawns with you.  I always log out on a horse.  This way I don't get charged when it gets brought back to a stable.

2016-09-16 18:13:52

wow seriously? , awesome!

2016-09-16 23:00:39 (edited by preiman790 2016-09-16 23:02:43)

I'd say iron is worth selling, even a little riln adds up quickly, if you're looking for one big find that will pay for your house, you're not going to find it, my advice is mine out anything you find, sell it and go mine more. you'll get better at mining this way, while earning the riln you'll eventually need. keep in mind you will find more valuable things as you get better and that will make things go quicker, but even now I don't leave anything behind, because hey that's quick easy riln.

as to the house, trust me, the bank is cheaper but if you really want something, consider renting an inn room, cheaper than a house and you probably have the riln to do that now, especially if you keep mining out the iron and stuff.
also keep in mind, some markets pay more for some things than others, and players might pay more still.

edited to add,
a horse despawns with you when you log out, but any wagons it might be pulling do not so you'll want to find a safe place for that, or return it.

2016-09-16 23:03:50

ah thanks smile
how long 1 night on this game?
may need to rent a room soon, heheh

2016-09-16 23:14:00

a night is a night. they are on U.S mountain  time, your character doesn't need sleep though, and most players never actually bother with houses. it is mostly a combination of an RP thing, and storage. though as i said earlier, for most things the bank is cheaper, and honestly safer storage

2016-09-17 04:49:26

ah alright, then, thanks, will put my item on bank,

2016-09-20 19:39:40

So I'd just like to say that the last few days, player count has been up a bit, if you are one of the new players, or returning ones, welcome, and if you're still wondering if CLOK is worth it, there really is no better time than now to drop by.

2016-09-21 19:19:35

i had joined, but left, as i do not know if it was just mean but it was rather laggy, and it was rather annoying. if it is know longer laggy let me know, i liked the world, the experience just what scared me away. I would be ahppy to return, if it is no longer lagging. please let me know thanks!

Why didn't the Romans find algebra difficult?
because x is always 10!

2016-09-21 20:38:27

Far as I know, a lot of that lag problem was cleaned up more than a year ago.

2016-09-22 02:50:39

I'm still getting some pretty horrible lag when I try to play. Like, waiting almost 3 seconds after pressing l for look kind of lag. Not sure what's up, but clok is an amazing mud, and some days the lag doesn't seem as bad as others.

2016-09-22 03:36:52

it doesn't lag. that's the command timing. and it's usually not 3 seconds either. it's rather 1 or 2 seconds at best unless you're really really laggy at your end yourself

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2016-09-24 04:18:19

Well, I did say almost 3 seconds, so yeah around 2 or 2 and a half seconds sounds about right lol but I didn't time it exactly and don't plan to do so. I'm not a techy guy so it could definitely be something on my end, but literally every other mud I play reacts almost instintaniusly when I type l or look. Like I said, clok's a great mud, but I'm not the only one who's noticed the lag that has nothing to do with roundtime or anything like that, so it is happening for sure, maybe not all the time, but yeah it's there for some people. Whether it's lag or command timing, it slows things down considerably for me.

2016-09-24 04:51:06

May be it's just there to keep things realistic as its playability. When you look, you actually spend a brief second to notice your surroundings, though. But well, may be I should talk to a gm about it.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2017-02-13 04:28:29

I know some of you lovely Clokkers check this topic so often, and some of you don't have rss feed on so here we go!
It's not about soundpack, reason why I don't announce it in my Clokpack topic. It's about...the return of our lead coder, and 2x 10%+ bonus skill gain!
Jirato didn't have time to code much, nearly not at all, because he was moving house (I found out yesterday). Yesterday he was back briefly to announce a little gift originally intended for this weekend, but may be he'll keep it permanant for you grinders to get to work, who knows.:p
The bonus works like this: If we have more than...originally 15 but he got it down to 10 last night my time. So 10 players on (him doesn't count) = 10% skill bonus multiplier, 11= = 20%, 12=30% and so on. If we get more players it might be up to 15 or 20 though, but it's always good to see our home sweet home back in activity, right?
Also, Tarueka is back, with a little resen event last night from Vestyn as well. Let's get back and make it crowded even more, yar!
Ps. By yesterday, I mean yesterday my time, 7 gmt Bangkok, lol.

2017-02-13 06:28:25

maybe he can uninfest the spaghetti so it runs like a MUD should.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-02-13 12:01:03

I'm hoping the problem gets addressed soon. Jirato is the only person who has access to system code and server.

2017-02-13 21:20:50

He won't. Ironcross stop being a troll.

2017-02-14 04:57:31

A response from Jirato:
The lag is possibly caused by some dump files from the engine since Rias coded it. Rias originally just wanted to use Clok as his "practice" of python, and it grew up to be a really awesome project as it is. Right now there's a lot of issue with the dump data every time something is executed. Jirato himself doesn't have time to code it (he said it would take roughly a year), but he handed the engine to his partner to rewrite it. His partner is a full time programmer, and might not be able to finish very soon. What Jirato is trying to do right now is fixing the characters/items dump files so it'll have less data to dump each execution, and thus reduce the lag in the process. Wooya! There's something to be done afterall, right? Not gonna be soon but still.
And now we know Clok is written in python. The code itself has lag issue since ages ago. The engine came from Rias. Jirato took over it. And it's been wonky since the start. I hope you all understand.

2017-10-07 01:50:36

Another update from Jirato here, the original post can be checked at
http://forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.p … 27#p332327

Greetings! Jirato here. Lead (and sole) developer for CLOK.

I just wanted to share that I take the negative feedback and complaints regarding CLOKs playability very seriously. I've noticed a theme in some of the
replies here and in the other CLOK thread on AudioGames, suggesting"Nothing is being done about the lag," "Jirato isn't willing to fix it," "CLOK is a
lost cause," And so on. I’d like to apologize if I’ve explained this poorly over the in-game chat, but I -am- indeed actively working to resolve the problem.
These types of complaints aren’t being ignored, and it’s not an issue that is impossible to fix.

It might help if I explained a little bit about what's going on. The slowness and delays you are experiencing in CLOK isn’t the traditional type of “network
lag" caused by a poor internet connection with the server. Rather we're dealing with what we would call a CPU bottleneck. CLOK is a single-threaded, single-process
application, and it is constantly utilizing 100% of a logical CPU core. You can think of this as the entry lanes to a theme park. Some major theme parks
have multiple lanes for cars to split into, and multiple ticket booths with personnel to process incoming traffic and allow them entry into the park, while
some smaller theme parks may just have a single lane of traffic and a single ticket booth. This is what CLOK is like -- a single lane of traffic -- and
due to the network engine that CLOK uses, we cannot simply just add new lanes of traffic and new ticket booths. You can think of it as an issue with the
zoning permit initially issued when the park was first built, prohibiting additional and further road construction. A newly built theme park could use
a different zoning permit and have additional lanes, but the CLOK park is, and likely always will, be limited to one lane.

But the issue isn't hopeless. To ensure the smoothest possible operation, we can reduce the amount of traffic being sent through the ticket booth by optimizing
our code to use less CPU operations. Every time I work on the code, my priority in writing new systems or modifying existing systems is to make them more
efficient. CLOK has gone through a very rapid stage of development over the last several years, during a long period of “alpha testing”. What alpha testing
implies is a feature push – work to get as many features in the game as quickly as possible, not worrying about how optimized they may be. There are hundreds,
if not thousands, of inefficiencies in the code that are causing significantly more stress on the CPU – more traffic entering and leaving the theme park.
Every operation in the code is required to go through that entry booth. So are your commands, as well as the server’s responses. Often times, there's a
logjam while everything waits to go through a very small opening. Thus: bottlenecking.

A more technical example: I recently performed a major overhaul of the mining system, ripping out hundreds of lines of code which had long complex nested
loops that performed thousands of operations every time someone used the DIG or MINE commands. Imagine looping through each of the MUDs 7500+ rooms, multiple
times, and checking the properties on every room, simply to see if it was a mine owned by the person doing the digging. Just having one player auto-digging
or auto-mining would easily create considerable usage for the CPU. I gutted this all out and re-wrote it from scratch, removing all the loops and replacing
it with a system that used already in-place and referenceable data so that any informational look-ups were quick and involved less operations. The finalized
code for the mining system is only about 20% of what the original code was, and utilizes significantly less CPU time.

The other solution to solving our CPU bottleneck issue is to make the workers at the theme park better at their jobs so they can let more cars in and out
of the park per second. To further improve the game performance, I am also in the process of transitioning to a new dedicated server. I pay for the CLOK
server out of my own pocket, $170 a month, as a hobby. The current server has been leased for 5 years and was priced as a bargain bin server with an economy
processor. It's great as a simple web and database server, but not sufficient for a large-scale application like CLOK. We will soon be transitioning to
a brand-new server with significantly upgraded hardware. This will be costing me an additional $29 a month (Total price for the server is $2,388 a year).
But CLOK is something that I love dearly and am more than willing to financially support as long as possible.

For the curious, here are the comparisons of the old and new server:

Current CPU:
Intel Xeon x3440
2.53Ghz quad core processor
CPU Mark Score: 4558

New CPU:
Intel Xeon E3-1230 v5
3.4Ghz (up to 3.8Ghz) quad core processor
CPU Mark Score: 9670

Current Memory: 8GB DDR2
New Memory: 16GB DDR4

Current Storage: 1TB Hard Disk Drive
New Storage: 256MB Business-class Solid State Drive

Current Bandwidth: 100MB dedicated connection in enterprise datacenter with multiple fully redundant 10Gbps fiber lines to major internet backbones.
New Bandwidth: 1GB dedicated connection in enterprise datacenter with multiple fully redundant 10Gbps fiber lines to major internet backbones.

For the non-technical people, the bottom line is the new hardware is over twice as powerful as the old hardware. I can't make any guarantee that this will
instantly resolve all of CLOKs problems, as we still have those hundreds of inefficiencies that I will continue to resolve every day, but I do expect to
see a marked performance increase under the new hardware. We are testing this new server now, will be conducting a public stress test this weekend, and
should be ready to move it into production shortly after that.

In addition to all the above, we’ve also recently doubled the size of our GM team to better provide events, merchants, plot developments, and player support.
I hope this shows that I am dedicated to continuing to improve your experiences in CLOK because, I promise to you that, like a theme park, CLOK is worth
the wait.

2017-10-07 01:57:24

I guess that might help, good luck to him.

2017-10-07 03:12:16

Well, it seems like he is passionate about working on it. But you can't blame people for wondering. I don't know, but I couldn't deal with it being that way. That's just too much of a lag, and too constant. I do know a bit about he's going through trying to work with a non multithread capable and single core only MUD on a multi core multi proc system.

I'll check in from time to time and if the the lag becomes manageable, I'll probably play more since I do acknowledge that the content is great, I just can't wait 3 seconds just to look, or just to check my pack, or to be told you can't go that way. It would be different if it had a lot of operations like you just chill out, but its very active. Anyway, best of luck to the dude in trying to fix that, I know I found it annoying, and quit playing because of it, and then didn't think he really cared all that much.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-10-07 15:58:42

Gotta wait and see something better. I already tested the new server with a bunch of players. It's not 100% lag free, as with other muds, but it's for sure way, way, way better than it currently is now, like 60 70% less laggy, even more.