2016-09-15 11:11:20

Grif, do you know the control called table index which is placed to the right of the actual contacts column, very close to the edge of the screen? It used to be possible to locate that by directly touching it and then swipe up or down on it to quickly move from one group of contacts to another, sorted alphabetically by their first letter. This stopped working sometimes around iOS 8, I believe. Fortunately, just moving to headings on the rotor and jumping around the contacts this way still works as always and it has exactly the same effect.

Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2016-09-15 12:47:17

Ahoy there

I don't know about touching it directly on screen, however it is still possible to just jump to the top of the top of the screen, swipe 2 times or 3 I think and reach the control index where you can flick up and down to change letters.

grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2016-09-15 13:11:47

Well, no iOS 10 for me, cause I'm using iPod Touch 5G and Apple decided not to upgrade it. I'm on 9.3.5. But it's nice that they've implemented easier way to reorder icons on screen blindly in iOS 10 voice over.

2016-09-15 15:01:41

lol. thought that I am the only one who can't upgrade. Now there is Hrvoje with me big_smile !

2016-09-15 15:51:42

As I recall, the index stopped working in iOS 9, I discovered it in the music app. If it also stopped working in contacts, then it probably stopped working in any app that uses the index. And I figured out using the rotor set to headers was a good alternative until Apple gets around to fixing the index. Though it wouldn't help me now. I bought a case for my phone since I'm more than likely going to keep it for a while, and discovered that you can't get to the edges of the screen with the case on.

I knew I could silence an incoming call with the power button, but didn't know you could reject the call with a second push. Thanks for that tip.

It's great that they finally fixed the magic tap for ending a call, that bug has been there since at least iOS 8.

2016-09-15 21:34:55 (edited by Jeffb 2016-09-15 21:35:51)

@grryfindore when in the contacts app and you use the table index it never takes you to contacts starting with letters you picked. If I pick s and swipe right I'm at contacts that start with a p. If I pick N and swipe right I'm at m contacts there is no consistency’s even in the way it picks the wrong letter. The work around the accessibility team gave me for now is to move by headings.

I've also found that longer messages sent with invisible ink won't show while shorter messages will with a 1 finger double tap. I have reported this to the accessibility team.

The one thing I really like is the new I message features. You can send messages with fireworks, balloons, invisible ink, and more. When done writing your message if you have 3d touch press down on the send button. If you do not have 3d touch you want to double tap and hold on the send button the same way you would to get into the edit mode in IOS9. You can also react to messages with a heart, thumbs up and so on by swiping down on a message then tapping on react.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2016-09-15 23:25:22

Hello,

iOS 10 works fine on my 5S. I am incredibly excited that wet ave all these new voices and the pronunciation editor. There is also a setting in braille screen input that swaps the position of dots 1 and 3 and 4 and 6 which makes typing braille much easier for me.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2016-09-16 16:58:41

Hi I am trying to upgrade to IOS 10  and its 1.5 gigs I think
I afraid my internet will bashed hahaha
I've read all of the above the post and decided to upgrade.
Thanks
Ishan

life's battle do not always go to the stronger and faster man,
But sooner or later who win the one who thinks he can!

2016-09-16 17:41:26 (edited by grryfindore 2016-09-16 17:42:10)

Ahoy all

@Jeffb I like  the new IMessage capabilities myself too, and the fact that they are accessible with voiceover is icing on the cake, as I was thinking those features would probably end up being inaccessible from what I heard on wwdc so cheers for that not being the case
Ahh, now that I try that contacts index I experience the same thing, so you are right,heading is probably the way to go. although I could've swarm I used this just fine on IOS9....

The next update I'm looking forward to is the mac os sierra
I still use windows full time on my mac lol but still I do end up playing with the mac side now and then

Ishan, you should probably use a download manager to download the Ipsw (the update) from a direct link instead of having either Itunes or the Iphone doing it for you via OTA update
You can probably find the direct download link for your phone on Iphonehacks.com
Just make sure to download the firmware file specific to your moddle
hth

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2016-09-16 19:08:13

Maybe you did, or maybe you didn't, but I can report that I also noticed that the page index was always a letter or two off when going from the index to list entries. Until I hear that the index is definitely fixed, I just use headings. It works.

At least using the index doesn't crash the app as it did when Apple first broke it in iOS 9.0.

2016-09-17 22:09:08

I have an iphone 5, which is apparently the oldest phone able to get this update. So I'm a bit hesitant, since IOS 9 already felt like it slowed my phone down a little. How do you revert to a previous version of IOS after updating?

2016-10-11 22:43:50

zakc93 wrote:

I have an iphone 5, which is apparently the oldest phone able to get this update. So I'm a bit hesitant, since IOS 9 already felt like it slowed my phone down a little. How do you revert to a previous version of IOS after updating?

Have you already upgraded from iOS 9 to iOS 10? It seems that you are afraid of revert process. Believe me, it is a sympler task if you have good Computing skills. Reply back, I'm here to help!

I suggest you that you should not upgrade your device to iOS 10 if you are a simple user. For advanced users, it is recommended. You are right, you might face some lags as you have an older device. I have iPhone 5S and I have upgraded lately. My device is giving me little bit slow performance as compare to iOS 9. Yes, it has great features though.

2016-10-11 23:09:06

Currently, I have an iPhone with iOS 10 installed. I have noticed a bug in the Tips App found under the Extras folder. While using the voiceover, I'm not able to go to the next tip because one finger flick down jesture is not working. As you know, to move to the next tip, you have to perform one finger flick down or up jesture as same as you do whenever you want to cycle through pages. Has anybody faced similar problem?

2016-10-11 23:44:36

lukas wrote:

Just press the power button twice in quick succesion. The first press will silence the ringtone and the second one will reject the call.
I've been using this ever since I got my iPhone 4S which I need to be upgrading shortly, and I find it so convenient that I never even really noticed there was in deed a reject button on other screens.
Lukas

Hey Folks, one noticeable thing about the forum is that people are not usually hitting the "Thumbs Up" button on a useful post. For example, Lukas has shared a very useful tip about quickly rejecting a call by just pressing the power button twice in quick succession. But he got only two Thumbs ups, one from my side and one from another user. We all know how useful is the tip for all of us.
So, from next time, if anybody finds something useful and helpful post or comment, don't forget to thumbs up. It encourage users to post more and more valuable content.

2016-10-12 02:26:10

Finally got on iOS 10 with an iPhone 6S+.  It's not bad, but there is tons of new stuff to mess with.  I've been swamped by hurricane related matters and haven't had much time to toy around, but I'll update out here in future as I go along.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2016-11-13 05:56:41

I do have to ask, in iOS 10.2 beta 2, how do I perform a soft-reset now that the emergency SOS feature has taken the previous shortcut.

You can't connect the dots looking forward.  You can only connect them looking backwards.

2016-11-13 12:25:27 (edited by burak 2016-11-13 12:26:21)

I'm going to wait for the performance fixes then upgrade. The phone keeps buggin me about it though. I say later and then lock the screen when it asks me for my passcode. I have not heard the typing sounds in braille input on iOS10 a friend told me that they were not fixed. Maybe it depends on the keyboard layout?

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page