2016-09-13 17:13:05

The iphone 7 isn't out yet, so all those reviews are probably from early users... not that it makes a difference. I personally agree that Apple has spouted a load of crap as to why this headphone jack had to be removed, but I'm not surprised anymore... as to this not being a problem only in the blind community but  in the sighted community as well, I don't know if it's possible to make that call since not enough information is retrievable about it unless you're willing to search extensively. the blind community is a small one, and so results in hearing a lot of the same comments in different places. Exodus's post in post 71 pretty much sums up my thoughts completely. I havent' seen any apple defenders come up with any argument that defeats those points... and apple, for all their accessibility inovations, are not doing this because they're a kind and caring corporation, and anyone who thinks that is fooling themselves. They do it so they can have a good reputation and increase their profits, as does any company that tends to market accessibility and make it a priority. Not that I'm sure there aren't a few people who genuinely care... but this is an idiotic reason for defending the headphone jack problem.

At post 72, this headphone jack removal i spawning controversy everywhere, not just here... and and what other cons? That is positively the biggest one of the whole lot... and as to pros, really, asiding from the camera and battery, there aren't any other ones that aren't in IOS 10 which iphone 6's, 6s, and SE will also support. If you don't care about cameras and have a battery case as many of us do, there is currently litterally no reaosn to get the iphone 7 other than for the shiny new toy you get and stereo speakers... and let's be honest, why do we care about stereo speakers on a cell phone? Maybe that sounds narrow-minded, but if you really want to enjoy your audio in stereo, why would you not use headphone or even a decent portable bluetooth speaker?

Discord: clemchowder633

2016-09-13 20:51:37

Exactly, for most companies, they use accessibility as a marketing tool, not because they give a crap about the visually impaired, because they don't, all they care about is their bottom line on their profit and loss statements.

The only companies that might really care, and even that is questionable, are the companies making assistive products, from low tech white canes to high tech screenreaders and brail displays, that help make our lives a little bit easier and enjoyable.

2016-09-13 22:56:33

OK, I see that we are going to have to respectfully disagree on this issue. And I am sad to hear that none of you are commending Apple for their excess ability, and that you think that they are only in it for the profit. It is things to them that I have a talking phone, a phone that can do so much. Be grateful for what you have, that is what I have been taught and I am going to continue to do that.

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2016-09-13 23:11:27

@figment,
No joke; raising two kids has finally done a number on me.  I came down and I came down hard... Still not feeling the greatest but a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do.  Thanks for the well wishes.
At everyone else, if Fs removed eloquence from JAWS because a new, supposedly greater sounding synth came out and eloquence is the most obsolete thing ever compared to this new synth, you would probably launch the most massive complaint campaign the blind and vision impaired community has ever seen, and rightfully so!  Why is it ok for Apple to get away with murder compared to that?

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2016-09-14 00:34:55 (edited by Figment 2016-09-14 00:46:46)

@Bryant

You misunderstand, while Apple may be into accessibility as a marketing tool, that doesn't mean we don't appreciate it, and what it does for us.

That appreciation doesn't include a love of all things Apple so blinding that we will freely give up our right to decide what is best for us.

If your love of Apple is that blinding, and you are happy with it, great, I'm happy for you. But don't think for a second that I will willingly allow Apple to make my choices of what is best for me, for me.

@Nocturnus

Ouch! For colds and fevers my brother swears by EmergenC, it's basically a mega dose of vitamin C. I use these lozenges that you take as soon as you begin to feel a cold or fever coming on, unfortunately I can't recall the name of them just now. But it's been at least ten years since my last cold, flu, fever, or whatever. Knock on wood!

You make a good point. I'd raise holy hell if Freedom Scientific suddenly took Eloquence out of JAWS, though I'd welcome a newer and more up to date TTS system. Just leave Eloquence in there long enough to allow a reasonably smooth transition to the new voice.

In the case of Apple, I doubt they consulted with anybody asking what they thought of the loss of the earphone jack, they just decided for us that we don't need it and took it away.

One thing Joe on the Blind Bargains podcast said was that in today's society where it's all about being connected, Apple makes a move with this earphone jack that, more than anything else, isolates them. Go figure. That walled garden is going to get rather old and stale before long, and Apple is just digging themselves deeper into it.

I recall hearing that iPhone 6 sales weren't as good as Apple would have hoped for, and that iPhone sales are starting to decline. The iPhone 7 introduction might slow the decline for a while, but I don't see anything new and innovative enough in them to stop it.

2016-09-14 04:02:59

I also won't be upgrading because of the headphone jack issue as well. At first, i thought it wouldn't be a big deal, but the more i read, the more the proprietary nature of the design just bugs the crap out of me. Again, this is from a guy typing this on a macbook air right now, i like this machine, and my iPhone 6, and i'm good right here, i don't need an upgrade, unless i was compelled by some mind-blowing feature, but it's not in the iPhone 7. Now if they do this to any future MacBooks, i'm done with the company. I'm willing to bend quite a bit, as long as it doesn't hamper my productivity. I have spent enough time with windows 10 to conclude that it's not for me. So it's down to apple and linux boxes, let's hope apple doesn't trash it's computer line as well.

2016-09-14 06:54:55

Ahoy all

The Iphone7 and the plus are just so so upgrades over your older phones, but like others have said, its not worth putting in your money if you already have a 6s and a 6s plus.
It might be worth upgrading if you are using anything older,and you think you could use the upgraded processer and the ram for the speed it provides,but whether that will be a good enough reason for most people to upgrade, I have no clue.

I actually disagree with the comments that accessibility for apple is just a marketing tool or its one of those companys that ads it just! for that reason and that reason alone. I think just reading the new accessibility features in each new apple OS releases should tell people all they need to know about apples commitment to accessibility, and whether or not its just a marketing ploy

That said, I truly dislike this lightning port for headphones. This essentially would force me to carry 2 headphones around, or throw away the one that comes with the 7 and the 7 plus.
I can't really say if its the end of the world for me as it is now,but it is certainly a huge pain in the arse.

grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2016-09-14 07:17:19

@Figment,
I don't know that there's anything that brings me relief from a cold anymore.  Once upon a time NyQuil used to do the trick nicely enough; I'd just take a dose and fall asleep, which I personally believe is the best thing one can do when one's this kind of sick anyway, other than drinking tons of fluids.  I don't know if NyQuil has changed over the years or what have you, but it no longer helps, either, so for the most part I just do my best to tough it out.  I'm getting older, too, so maybe that's part of it.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2016-09-14 07:28:27 (edited by Jason SW 2016-09-14 07:29:42)

Hi,

I have an iPhone 6 Plus, and I'm planning to upgrade when my installment plan finishes at the end of November.

2016-09-14 08:33:46

@figment, completely echo your sentiments in post 80!
@Griff, as I said, Apple may have a commitment to accessibility... but appearances are not everything. apple is not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts, at least, not only that... they are a multibillion dollar corp, and one thing people need for competition is appearance. Apple may have a commitment to accessibility on the surface, sure, and as long as I have it, I don't care... but I'm just saying that it can't be avoided that anyone who thinks Tim Cook and the boys are doing this only because they care about their products being accessible is living in a romanticized reality. It's as much because they care as it's about being able to hold that up in front of consumers for popularity and appearance. Hey look how good a company we are... we include everyone, unlike these other people *cough* samsung *cough* who don't put a priority on accessibility. but we do!

2016-09-14 19:07:03

Hi,
@assault_freak, I never said that apple or tim cook  et al, add accessibility to all! their products only out of   the goodness of their hearts, there's always a marketing/ publicity/ goodwill aspect to it, however it would be just as wrong to say that its only for the marketing reasons apple does so.

I personally feel that if Apple  wanted only to either comply with existing rules, or do it for the marketing aspect, it could have done far less than it does and has and would've gotten away with it just fine.

grryf

Follow me on twitter

2016-09-14 20:47:43

True that. and having said that, I wasn't pointing that answer at you specifically... more as a general point that many people in the blind community are zealously loyal to apple because of what they consider apple's charitable goodness and how much they are willing to help us. And like I said, I'm sure that to a point, there are some higher ups who do care. It's just idiotic to tout that as the justification for sticking with Apple... and so many blind people act indeed as if they think that apple is just so good and generous and forget that marketting and good will matter. I'm not saying that they don't care, just that accessibility is not a priority for the same reason people believe., necessarily. But again, I don't care about their motives... it doesn't effect me. Just so long as I have an accessible product... I hate Apple's ecosystem and being locked into it much more.

2016-09-15 03:04:06

A commitment to accessibility generates goodwill, and goodwill is a valid marketing strategy, and can be a powerful one as well.

Apple may be ahead in the accessibility game now, but both Android with Talkback and Windows with Narrator are catching up fast. It won't be long before Apple will have some serious competition in the accessibility market. And in today's market place being first isn't as important as being best.

2016-09-15 03:40:34

Right now, I'd say Apple is still best, at least in the mobile department... but that may change in the next few itterations of Android. Hard to say though, as there's much less centralized information about android accessibility.

2016-09-15 16:16:55

True.

The one thing that may hinder Android is how fragmented it is. Accessibility of Android can vary widely from one phone manufacturer to another.

The lack of fragmentation in iOS is the one advantage to Apple's way of doing things that I will grant them.

If you ever need proof that accessibility is just a scheme to garner goodwill as a marketing strategy, just go over to AppleVis and look at all the long standing VoiceOver and accessibility bugs that are still waiting to be fixed, even after at least two major versions of iOS. If Apple was really serious about accessibility, these bugs would have been fixed long ago. Instead they appear to be completely ignored.

2016-09-15 17:04:16

Samsung the Great will also remove the traditional 3.5 MM jack headphone port on its next flagship Samsung Galaxy s8, the great!
Let's go altogether,  bitching about Samsung as well!
I am the first! Follow me!

Go Apple go. smile
http://www.sammobile.com/2016/09/14/rum … tary-port/

2016-09-15 17:58:09

The link is broken... and noone is going to bitch at Samsung now that Apple has gone that route first. It's probably an expectation now that will still generate flack, just not as much as it did with the iphone 7. I don't honestly care either way anymore... long as I get an adaptor to use my prefered earbuds / headsets. And the new airpods are apparently crap as well, according to an article I read this morning. And of course because it's apple, there's a $10 accessory so you don't lose them because they're detatched! So generous!

@Figment, that's definitely another fair point about the longstanding bugs. But there you have it... a lot of people who are blind and wanting the easiest off the shelf product are content to lock themselves firmly into that ecosystem.

2016-09-15 23:17:48 (edited by Exodus 2016-09-16 00:02:49)

oh boy oh boy! A format war!
Y'know... It's like we used to have this neet thing... a tiny port that was on everything. We could plug into it, Send our audio out to anything. speakers, headphones even those things you could put in car tapedecks. Now I'm about to go visit my friend. I better remember the 3.5mm to apple converter for the car, the Samsung to apple converter because my other friends always forgetting hers, the converters to turn both those connections into USB C for the dock at his place, and the thing that puts audio out of phase so that I can use The thunderstrike connecter on the sony dock at my other friends place. Few Glad I remembered all that. Gotta dash now... Take care all!

Forum Message:

This Post was converted using the year 2020 audiogames forum post to year 2016 audiogames  post converter found at
whythefuckcan'twejustallusethesamething.com
The whythefuckcan'twejustallusethesamething.com team provide a convertion service, the team takes nothing to do with any fires, alien invasions or time paradoxes caused in sending this message through time

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2016-09-16 00:22:15

I am what I call semi locked in by the money I paid for apps like KNFB Reader, but not so locked in that I don't keep an eye on the competition. When something better comes along, and it will, bye, bye Apple!

2016-09-16 01:01:23

Why not get both platforms and reap the benefits of both? As for Android, get a Nexus. I don't care about these other companies if all they want to do is skin Android and make my life difficult. Stock Android is awesome! If I have my way, I'll be getting one of the new Nexus phones and still keep my iPhone. A sim adapter will let me swap my sim from phone to phone so I get the benefits of both platforms.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2016-09-16 01:28:10

@exodus
that was pure gold, thumbs up
honestly the best thing I've read all day

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2016-09-16 14:16:10

Ahoy there

Exodus +1 man. you sir are hilarious

figment wrote:

If you ever need proof that accessibility is "just" a scheme to garner goodwill as a marketing strategy, just go over to AppleVis and look at all the long
standing VoiceOver and accessibility bugs that are still waiting to be fixed,

along similar lines, If you ever need proof that accessibility is not just a scheme to garner goodwill as a marketing strategy, go to applevis and look at all the new accessibility features that come out with each major release of IOS

Follow me on twitter

2016-09-16 14:25:35

Because I don't need or want to pay for two phones. That is why I dropped my land line when I started using a cell phone.

2016-09-16 15:48:13

how about getting a blu r1 hd phone for $110 with 16gigs storeage and 2gigs ram and quad core processor android 6 marshmallow with talkback screen reader?

2016-09-16 16:16:53

how to set up an android phone.
1. turn the phone on wait about 20 to 30 seconds.
2. place two fingers on the screen about a half inch apart and hold them there until talkback turns on. if it doesn't work turn the phone in landscape and try again.
3. go through the setup screen. you may need headphones plugged in or external speakers to enter your password for the first time other than that you're good to go.