2016-09-15 12:14:07

Hello everyone,

I'm creating an audio based puzzle game with some stealth and speed elements which will launch as Early-Access in October this year.

The game in question is Dark Passenger, a project I've been working on for the last few months which I want to share with you all and get your feedback on. The game is currently undergoing changes as feedback is being en-cooperated from the community as I want to ensure that players end up with a quality product.

A demo can be found here for Windows, Mac and Linux:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uuezvppey91a … bxZca?dl=0

A little about me

My name is Daniel Ryan Pain, 27 years old and I am full time Software Engineer who creates business applications for large companies, which I've been doing for the last 5 years. However, I have always had a great passion for video games and have long dreamed of making a game myself. Therefore, I have set up a business, which at the moment simply consists of myself, which I want to grow so that I can focus more on game development in the future.

I have always been curious as too what could be done with a game where you are completely reliant on sound for information instead of visuals and therefore Dark Passenger is an adventure into a world of possibilities that I continue to build upon. It is my hope that the game can be enjoyed by both sighted and non-sighted players alike as I see a lot of potential in audio games that is yet to be tapped into.

Where will the game be available?

Dark Passenger will be available for Windows, Linux and Mac initially, but may also make it's way onto mobile devices as well as VR going forward.

There is currently a Steam Greenlight campaign that is set up here where if the project gets enough votes, Dark Passenger will come to be Steam. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f … =749798341

Outside of Steam, I am open to plenty of distribution platforms that people want the game to be available on such as Gog, Itch etc.

In closing

I am looking forward to hearing any feedback you have for this project, thank you for your time and I hope to hear from you soon!

Cheers,
Dan

2016-09-16 10:35:22

Hi Dan.
Having played the demo and followed the discussion in the other topic in the generel games discussion room, I have a special suggest which have never been seen in an audiogame before.
The difficulty is always to get sighted interested in an audiogame, mainly because they find it too difficult, or because they simply want the visual input. So, here is my suggestion:
A difficulty adjustment which calculates the difficulty in the game, based on how the user plays it and how fast the user reacts etc. If the user is having difficulty following the sounds, the game could maybe slow down regarding to following someone. If people seem to having trouble on navigating the map, the game could start giving out hints on where to go, either by descriptions of the room, or a sound source in the direction which the players should go in.
If the player is playing the game without any difficulty, then the game should speed up and do other things to match the wanted difficulty. I think you got the idea, but I don't know if this would be difficult to make.
Other suggestions: Timing puzzles, multiple choices which will change the story so people have a reason to play the game again, trophies and unlockables would be awesome. There are a lot of suggestions in the other room as well.
Good luck on the project. I look very much forward to see more development from you. You are awesome!

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2016-09-16 18:59:04

Hello folks. SLJ, I don't know... Maybe the classic choose the difficult level would do better. Let's say I by accident, take a little longer than expected to solve a pusle, and the game gets easier. You may be thinking how can this happen? Well, I may be showing the game to a friend, or recording a video of the game, and we know talking and playing at the same time is a hard thing to do.
Well, those are my first impressions when I come to thing about your suggestion, but I never played a game that acts like this, so I can't tell for sure.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.