2016-09-13 19:01:41

Ok, my question is in the subject line. I know that today is the day of IOS 10 in the USA. So who is going to upgrade? How buggy is it? what do people like about it, and what do people on this form not like about it? Is there any comments about it. I think I will weight a bit before updating my IPhone. I sort of need it to work more than I need to update. I also would like to weight a bit so that any major bugs can be spotted.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2016-09-13 19:33:25

Sorry, I think they forget to rebrand as IOS X.

73 Wj3u

2016-09-13 20:38:34

you know applevis publishes articles for every release, right? lol that answers most of your questions, the comments sections of said articles usually have something else to add too

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2016-09-13 20:38:53

I am interested in iOS 10 primarily for the ability to remove those prepackaged apps I don't use.

I don't expect it to be any more or less buggy than their past major version releases have been, which means I will wait for at least version 10.1 before upgrading.

Whether I decide to upgrade to an SE before they are gone, or just keep my 5s will depend on how laggy version 10 is on it.

2016-09-14 01:12:53

I like IOS10 so far although the new lock sound sucks. I wish I could go back to the old lock sound. Its odd that the search page is now considdered to be page 1 that is anoying but I like that I can get rid of stocks and stuff like that.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2016-09-14 02:07:38

AppleVis may have an article on it, but how much real information can be in it on only the first day it was released?

2016-09-14 02:19:02

I got it, and it's Ok, but the download erased all my VoiceOver voices, so I have to download them again. And I am afraid they took away my favorite one, the simplified Australian Karen voice. The enhanced version sounds too robotic.
Otherwise, it's odd to me that my home page is now actually page 2.
So far, it's not world-endingly bad, but it's not earth-shatteringly great either.
How's that for a technical description? *smiles*

2016-09-14 03:03:29

Its alot easier to move apps and make folders now! Now if only we could make sub folders...

2016-09-14 05:07:12

I like the new typing sound, and I totally agree that being able to move apps and create folders is so much easier now. I never even bothered before, because it was such a daunting task, but now it's a very simple, though tedious task if you're like me and have 8 sprawling pages of apps.

I also can't stand the raise to unlock feature. I found that it activated itself even while being carried in my pocket, which may or may not have something to do with what I'm going to report at the end of this post. But at least it's fairly easy to get rid of that too.

The new voices aren't terrible, but none of them are amazing, either. I do like oliver, though he has some weird pronunciations, and you have to use the enhanced version or he sounds like he has a cigarette shoved in his mouth all the time. I'm using him for now, though, because I like how he sounds in general. As for the other voices, I don't want to download gigs of data just to have premium speech, so I can live with switching between Oliver and the Siri voices if I get tired of one or the other.

however, I think I might have found a bug. My battery has plummeted alarmingly fast ever since I installed this update. of course, I updated the phone while it wasn't plugged in, but by the time the procedure was finished, it was down to 84%. This was about 9 hours ago. In those 9 hours, I didn't use my phone excessively. Maybe a bit more than normal, but mainly to play with settings, move apps, and explore new features. I only sent two text messages during that time, and the only app I had open in the background was whatsapp. And yet, about 20 minutes ago, I noticed that my phone was down to 34%. So, either the update somehow drained the hell out of my battery and didn't tell me, or the release is buggy. If it turns out to be a fluke, I'll report back. But I would be super disappointed if I need to restore from a backup just because of that.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2016-09-14 06:33:04

Ahoy all

IOS10 should likely have less bugs as compared to apple's previous releases as there have been quite a few beta versions released. but then again, only time will tell.

I never had a problem with moving apps the way it was before, and I do hope we are still able to move apps as we could before.
I personally find this way of moving apps less intuitive but many people had a problem with a old method so its a plus for them.

Voices,voices and more voices plus a dictionary!
While they are well and good, there's this one feature I'm super excited about.

Image recognition or descriptions by voiceover.
I haven't upgraded to ios10 yet,because I have only just woke up, but if anything does make me upgrade to ios10, its likely to be this feature.
Sure its probably not going to be able to describe everything in a image, and not with complete detail,but anything in this area is good,right?
as long as its able to tell me who's in a picture, plus  something around them or something they are holding I.E a dog being held by me or a friend, I would be a happy camper. But if its not still able to do it now, one can always hope for the future,eh.
Is it just me that seems to think this feature is super awesome?

@figment, applevis knows as much as it does and its quite a lot on the day of the release of the OS is because they have been using,testing and been providing feedback for the beta versions, plus the GM release of ios10 came out a few days before the public release, so those with developer accounts have had enough time to look around.

@turtlepower17, do keep us posted about the battery issue, as I believe its the one thing most of us will be interested in.

Say what you will about apple, but its commitment to accessibility can't be beat, and it proves it every time with each new OS release.

grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2016-09-14 08:39:29

now you don't need a developer account to subscribe to betas, I was a tester myself for some time and IOS 10 is just amazing. the photo description feature tells you the objects in the photo, it can even recognize faces in your photos if you associate them with someone for the first time. an other thing that I love about ios 10 is the fact that you can set the phone to not go into speaker mode if you lift it away from your year, that annoied me since the beginning of iphone and now it's gone! I considder that the list of bugs is very small compared to the list of features, and I think the update is absolutely worth it.
I suggest updating via Itunes though because there were some guys that had problems when updating over the air, I read on applevis and on mac rumors that their phones entered into DFU mode and they had to restore it to work. I updated over the air but I had no problems.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2016-09-14 10:44:17

How do I use image recognition? Also, how do I associate? This sounds intriguing and I'll see if my Dad will let me try it on his phone. Also, can I even go even further? Let's say I go to Feel The Force Day, and take a picture of, say, someone dressed up as a character from a film. Can I make the picture say something like, Aaron with C3PO or Aaron with Princess Belle? This could be great for stuff like that!

2016-09-14 10:46:26

unfortunately the phone does the associations, but if you associate a photo with a contact it can recognize that face and say instead of photo with 2 faces it will say that the contact is in that photo.

Stephen King

2016-09-14 15:00:21

Hmm, nothing to say, since my iPod 5 doesn't support iOS10... sad

2016-09-14 16:13:39

The iOS 10 is great. I love it.
What I have noted so far is that the keyboard feels more accessible and your fingers seem to find the right place when you are typing. Also, the dots on the Braille keyboard appear to be more stable and responsive.
The magic tap works better when answering or ending calls. It responds faster than in iOS 9. In fact, one of the major bugs of first releases of iOS 9 was this bug with magic tap which would respond extremely slowly. The music app seem to work faster when switching from one song to another.
Arranging apps is now easier than never before, but I would like to see that actions menu in many instances gone from the homepage.
Now, whenever there's a switch button, especially in services such as wi-fi, bluetooth, or do not disturb, when enabled/ disabled from the control centre, Voiceover will say: "Wi-fi, switch button, on."
The keyboard sounds are also changed, and the sounds will now also apply to braille keyboard.
There are more voices in the speech section!
I personally like Ava, that was the voice that should have been there a long time ago, but I think I will stick with Daniel (enhanced) for daily use.
Photo description was not as amazing as I was imagining. I have a picture of my dog and voiceover was not capable of describing it. However, if you have multiple photos, you can just search for the word "Dog", and it will look for a dog in your photos and will show it to you if one is found.
All in all, I like this upgrade of iOS. It is quite less buggy compared to the first days of iOS 9, and it feels a little more accessible than the previous iOS versions.

2016-09-14 16:46:59 (edited by mastodont 2016-09-14 16:50:48)

I agree about the magic tap, in ios 9.3.5 I had to do the gesture two or sometimes three times to end a call, smile it was so funny when I was talking with someone who was using voiceover and we were both furiously tapping the screen trying to end the call, I could hear the other slapping the screen in frustration just as I was doing rofl. Now it works on the first try.

Stephen King

2016-09-14 16:56:28

Hi, Actually all of the notification sound could not be change, for example, WhatsApp and facebook messenger and other apps that I use, it always play the try tone sound whenever someone sending notification to my phone.

2016-09-14 17:14:19

@claw you can customize the sounds of your what's app notification from inside the app, go into settings and notifications. I just updated to the latest version and it appears that what's app calls now go directly to my lockscreen like normal calls. this also means that magic tap works for answerring and ending the call, this is an amazing feature, I always wanted to be able to do this with calls outside the phone app.

Stephen King

2016-09-14 18:38:54

ahoy all

This is one question I've been wondering about since IOS8, and unless I'm missing something its a bug that's quite obvious and hasn't been mentioned by anyone else before.
Or at least I haven't come across it
The bug/question/ what you will is
How the hell do you reject a incoming call from the lockscreen?
All I see on the lockscreen is buttons to text the person calling you,set a reminder,and answer the call
On any other screen you also have the reject button,which you don't like I said above,on the lockscreen.
What am I missing, is there a button,a gesture that does this?

I have also upgraded to ios10, however I think my usual practice of setting it up as a new iphone would've been far better rather than updating from ios9 to 10.
The process was smooth overall,although there was a rather nasty point where I couldn't enter a passcorde because instead of 1 2 3 4 5 etc voiceover was reading abc def ghj and so on.
Even so I was able to type in the passcode through guesswork and some judgement,but still not the kind of thing I have experienced ever before,but then again I always restore my phones not update.

grryf

Follow me on twitter

2016-09-14 19:06:11

Just press the power button twice in quick succesion. The first press will silence the ringtone and the second one will reject the call.
I've been using this ever since I got my iPhone 4S which I need to be upgrading shortly, and I find it so convenient that I never even really noticed there was in deed a reject button on other screens.
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2016-09-14 19:22:30

Good news, guys. The battery issue seems to have had something to do with the update process itself, because it's fine now.

I'm really happy about the magic tap working better, too. I really hated that it would often not work, especially since finding the end call button is usually something of a chore.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2016-09-14 21:41:36

@grryfindore you can still move apps and creat folders the old way.

There are quite a number of bugs being reported on Applevis non that are too serious however. One I've noticed in the contacts app while using the table index still exists this was in IOS 9 too but you can move by headings as a work around. I also am not a fan of page 1 being the search but its something I guess I'll get used to in time.

2016-09-15 02:49:39

I'm still waiting to hear how it performs on a 5s.

2016-09-15 06:35:08

Hi to everyone!
I cannot upgrade 2 IOS 10 right now.
I am using I phone 5 s right now.
Thanks
Ishan

life's battle do not always go to the stronger and faster man,
But sooner or later who win the one who thinks he can!

2016-09-15 09:49:46 (edited by grryfindore 2016-09-15 09:50:23)

Ahoy there

At lukas, thank you! I had no clue That it was possible to reject calls using just the power button, hence I always had to fiddle around with the screen to answer and end calls.
big_smile

@turtlepower17, that's certainly good to kmow,and I thought so as well that it was just a 1 time thing and a recharge cycle ought to get rid of the battery drain.

At jef, what's the contacts screen bug you are referring to?
and aye, I found out that one can still move the apps around the old fashioned way and that's certainly good,too.

At figment and Ishan, You both could upgrade to ios10 right now and if you don't really like ios10,could downgrade to ios9.3.5?
Keep in mind though, the window to downgrade is time limited,and apple can close it off any time
Taking a backup of your phone before doing anything as major as a upgrade is also recommended.

grryf

Follow me on twitter