2016-09-05 06:13:20

Yes, another month, another Monthly chat topic. For those who don't know, this is the place where you can generally wag your chin about anything and everything. Life love and the pursuit of happiness, liberty fraternity and equality, or just what your playing, reading, listening to or watching currently, along with anything fun or not so fun you might be up to.

As usual, I get to go first, which is an unfair system I know, ---- but there's not much I can do to change it, besides it's only unfair to people who are not! me so why would I! want to change it? That's the very bed rock of the principle on which most of society functions after all.
Oooh dear, synicism synicism!

For me, Well my so called "Quiet few days post music school and weddings and visas " sort of failed due to John posting the audiogames archive, and me now having to go through the database with a fine tooth comb and do huge amounts of updating (for the first lot see the news room). Indeed this might be why I utterly forgot the date and why this topic is a trifle later than it should be, since it's hard to remember times when your copying links like a demon, or at least like a miner under imp to the sub assistant demon of soul tormenting big_smile. It's waaaaaay more work than I expected, but I think the knock on effect will be well worth the trouble, it'll be good for people to know what the "knight of parasite" title is referring to and be able to download the full game.

Other than that, I've tried to slightly take it easy. We did go out for lunch with a couple of friends of mine and their two year old son. They're the same friends who used to run the tabletop rp group I played with for such a long while, and they're organizing a weekend 7th sea game for October which will be cool, ---- then again lunch was a little whacky owing to said child, he's definitely in the terrrible two's phase, though having a mother who is a doctor of archaeology and runs all over the world to conferences and teach goodness knows anywhere can't make for a precisely settled life style.

I've also startede Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson.  Thus far I've only read the series up as far as Aloy of law, and I read those four or five years ago, so I'm starting with the beginning and intend to read the currently six volumes to be up to speed when the last book comes out later on.
Definitely a good series, though ironically I remember comparatively little of the events before rereading so it's almost like reading for the first time, still that probably means less book reviews over all.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-09-05 08:57:04

Hi Dark and everyone,

It's finally beginning to cool off here in Texas, and I am finally beginning to feel better. Due to a host of Non-24 and epilepsy health issues, along with some post head injury depression just to make it interesting, I have been sick pretty much all summer. For a while, I couldn't concentrate well enough to even finish a book!

But things are looking up, and I've perfected the art of good-natured patience if nothing else.
As for my reading, listening, and gaming

I have been listening to a lot of St. Paul and the Broken Bones, Alabama Shakes, and Black keys lately.
I haven't been reading much, but history is a new interest that Audible is helping me pursue in style.
As for games, I have just started the Adventure to Fate series, mainly because it looked so complicated and I wanted to force myself to learn something after the brain fog of the summer. It took me a bit of time, but now that I understand the system, these games are great fun. They fill my game wishes well, for a huge world to explore, treasure to find, and items to craft.
Last night, because I couldn't sleep, I started Zombie Exodus, and it is the most realistic IF I've ever played! When you get into a game like this one, you really see the potential for interactive fiction!
Timecrest has also become a new favorite, because of their unique twist on IF.  First, you have no idea what's going on in the world, so you keep playing in an attempt to unravel the mysteries, but every time you make a choice, more questions come up. Then, the game has a realistic feel, because at certain points in the story, the game makes you wait to continue, as if Ash, the hero, is busy doing something else. The soundtrack is great too.
I also played Q9 and became fascinated with side scrollers.
Finally, I downloaded the Blastbay Games tool kit. No idea if any game development will come from it, but I do love to learn new things, so we shall see.

All of that, plus freelance writing, is keeping me occupied, and I am happy to be so after the down time that pretty much usurped my entire summer.

Wishing everyone else good times and great games.

2016-09-05 14:01:09

Dark,
Yes the Audio Game Archive has given me a kick to the butt to post my old DOS games to him.
I updated the contact information in 14 of my DOS games and even discovered a game I had forgotten about.
It is DEVIL STAR ISLAND SCAVENGER HUNT, a game we had given away free at blind conventions and hadn't listed in our catalog.
I sent John descriptions of all the PCS DOS games and he said he would update the PCS page with that information.
I mite also put up a PCS DOS games page on my site too.
However I do not support the old games and would not be able to help anyone trying to play them.
They were all written for Windows 98 and XP.
Most of them required you having an external synthesizer.
Do they even exist now?
In 2000 we sold 8 self-voicing games on CD that didn't require this.
I tried to run one on my Windows Vista computer recently and it didn't work too well. The sounds were not as smoothly playing with sounds cutting out before they were done playing.
  So yesterday I sent 4 of them to John,
Duck Hunt2000.zip, Space Invaders2000.zip
Red Dragon Kick Boxing Challenge2000.zip and Snipe Hunt2000.zip.
Hopefully someone can get them to work.

2016-09-05 20:01:10

I finally got the Mistborn in audio and keep forgetting (then remembering when I don't feel like reading it).
Last week was LCB's White Water Rafting trip. Which was more of a paintball / ropes course / Lookout Mountain / White Water Rafting trip. I'm not entirely sure what the appeal to the blind is of a place whose main selling point is the ability to see seven states from the top, but the trip up and down the mountain was fun enough, I guess? At one point I got just far enough ahead of my group that a large group of Cantonese-speaking people more or less enveloped me and made turning back a bit awkward, so I just kept going at their pace and waited for everyone at the mid-point restaurant. Also, I am not the type who would find something called "Fairyland Cavern" creepy, except that this one was the most humid place on the mountain and it was dank and drippy and there was cheerful music playing and there were statues of gnoams and the like lining the rather narrow passageways... so I dare say the effect was less Disney and more Haunted House.

(Why can't I programming? sad )

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2016-09-06 08:48:32

@Mirage, sorry to hear about the none 24. I can sympathize, since my lady suffers rather from the same problem. Combine that with me, who is naturally something of an insomniac, and it can make for some rather fun timings of doing things big_smile.
Adventure to fate is extremely good, but heck of a complex. I haven't played the first owing to the fact the labels are sort of not fixed, but the second two I like a lot, albeit I haven't saat down with quest to the future for a long period. Zombie exodus is imho one of the better Cog titles, albeit there are several good ones. I recently tried Pendragon rising and failed horribly which is why I didn't add my thoughts on it to the trying choiceofgames thread, though you might want to look through that thread for suggestions.
If you fancy historical fiction, I can highly recommend Bernard Cornwell's King arthur series, The Winter King, Enemy of God and Excalibur. A really unique take on what the real Arthur might have been like, and also a lovely way to show some of the myths and how they came about.
Cornwell's writing I like generally, (though some of the later Sharpe books can get rather silly), but that's my favourite series of his I think. My lady has also recently recommended me coline Mculluf's roman republic series, ---- actually her words were "Well if you like stuff as nasty as Game of thrones you'd like those" which certainly caught my interest big_smile.

@Phil, I've actually not tried several of those dos titles myself. I wonder if anything can be done to get them to cooperate with silly later windows, since I have heard something about dos emulators, something I'll need if I get my windows 10 machine in a couple of months, something I need to do since sites like Paypal and youtube are getting a bit problematic and there are games like Manamon I want to run.

@Cae, the cavern sounds rather cool. Mistborn is a good series, though the mechanics of the magic are a little blatantly mechanics that could be used in a computer game, and often indeed Sanderson talks about them in rather a mechanical, rather than literary way. The world however is very unique, albeit like a lot of Sanderson's people really don't travel much and it feels a bit stuck in one place, also while I love the characters, his idea to make the overthrow of a tyranical ruler into a heist story with a gang of thieves doesn't quite succeed, mostly because the main characters are far too nice and more like a gang of rebels who trust each other, ---- quite different to the actual and scummy thieves you meet in course of the book itself big_smile.

Still, a good series, and I'm finding a lot I like in the first book. I'm not one of these people who thinks Sanderson is next to god as some do, indeed other than Stormlight I'd not say many of his books are exceptionally awesomely amazing, but they are certainly good!

Well things have been rather quiet which is nice, albeit still with los of archiving to do, though mistborn is getting rather good resisting the urge to read is difficult. Similarly, I am liking crazy party but don't seem to be able to connect to others, and rythm rage but can't download the packs from Oriol's site, so my gaming is a bit stuck at the minute, at least until my lady is done with a massive amount of indexing and I can borrow her computer to get back into Manamon, though I am tempted to update my version of vipmud so I can try a few muds out like cosmic rage (which was rather fun especially with the soundpack), as several muds do undoubtedly need pages in the db, plus there are some games like Frandom that I really just want to play.

I'll also say though, it is lovely to just be able to spend time with my lady without having to work to anyone else's schedule or anything major to do. Really we've not been alone together for more than about 4 hours at a time since our honymoon, so it's nice to just have some time. We're currently reading Star tide rising together by David Brin. We definitely enjoyed The uplift war (there's a review on fantasybookreview.co.uk, and any book with star travelling dolphins definitely gets my vote big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-09-06 09:34:29

@Dark,
I wonder if improvements have been made on the first Adventure to Fate, because it was actually the game in the series that really helped me to grasp the concept of how all the games are playd.
I haven't heard of Pendragon Rising, but I will check it out, and give that Choice of Games thread another look.

2016-09-06 12:55:38

@Mirage, when you say "first adventure to fate" do you mean quest to the core? Last I checked quest to the core still had no labels for the squares you traveled through they were just numbered, and I don't think Touchmint has mentioned anything about fixing it since the original adventure to fate Quest to the core is sort of a cut down version of the other games.

The first adventure to fate game with the real access treatment is actually the second, battle arena. Battle Arena is! actually easy to get the hang of since basically it's all about the battles and you have a comparatively small area to walk around, just between the shop, the arena, the vault etc. That was the first adventure to fate people played that got the access fixes before Touchmint built them all into quest to the future.

So, which game is it exactly? As I said if it's quest to the core I'd be interested to know.

Also btw, what is timecrist? I don't think I've run across that one, is it one of the Cog or Hg titles? or something else.

Pendragon rising was actually rather frustrating, since  decisions seemed to have random consequences, for example when I decided to let my companion who was a scholar and a doctor have a look at the high king's wounds, I lost a massive! hit to my warrior rating for some reason, and being faithful to morgan (Arthur's friend in that game), lead to losing out both warrior and leader ratings for some reason.

I loved the setting, rather like Bernard Cornwell's winter king series it was the historical arthur, though it did feature actual celtic magic, however again the stats didn't do what I want, I probably need to give it another try.

2016-09-06 16:29:48

The Adventure to Fate game I was referring to was Quest to the Core. You're right though, it still has only numbers for the grid, but that actually helped me understand what was happening in Quest for the Future.
Battle Arena is much easier to play, you're right about that too.

Timecrest was created by Sneaky Crab Inc., and they are extremely responsive on Twitter, to their player base in general, but also to those of us with visual impairments. They are releasing huge VoiceOver improvements on the update that will come out in the next few weeks, but the game is fully playable as is, so I think they're just making a good thing great. I love their attitude! They completely rewrote the first two chapters, just to make a better play experience from the story's beginning.

2016-09-07 04:21:07

Hi dark! and others
Well not anything special but yes I have dived in programming and I am learning c from aptech computer education.
they showed their interest in BGT also and hopefully we can make a dream true its dark crime.
I seriously want to code this game for us though I am having trouble of sound library.
I am trying to download a free bundle of 2016 of sonniss but My internet is lagging.
also I am preparing for a fest and if I succeed may be I can be a singer of Bollywood.
I am just taking a chance
well as far as the concern of reading I am reading the book of aptech it is elementary programming in c
Thanks
Ishan

life's battle do not always go to the stronger and faster man,
But sooner or later who win the one who thinks he can!

2016-09-07 21:12:33

Well that had to rank as one of the most unexpectedly interesting evenings ever, and here I use "interesting" very much in it's chinese sence, as in "I curse you to live in interesting times" big_smile.

So I was preparing dinner. Part of dinner involved heating some darritos up in the microwave, these are like small flavoured corn chips.
All was fine until I stuck in my hand and felt something very hot, I looked up and after a screan of "oh my god!" said in what was according to my lady a surprisingly calm tone, ---- "We have fire, as in actual flaming fire" (yes, I did describe the fire with a miner redundent descripter but I wasn't trying to be especially grammatical at that point).

I then proceeded to get my fire blanket (which luckily was where I thought it was), unwrap it and chuck it over the now rather frighteningly extensive flames extruding in a pretty mass of orange and red from the open microwave, ---- apparently I was quite incoherent.

A few minutes later when my kitchin was permiated with the lovely aroma of melted plastic I decided to try and clear the microwave. moving the fire blanket and guess what? ---- more fire!
I let out a rather soprano "oh god!" then said in an equally calm tone "nine nine nine" which is the british emergency services number.

My lady brought the phone and roughly 15 minutes later we're host to some rather friendly firemen who removed the microwave, were quite calm about everything and fitted us with a new smoke detector.

So yes fire! actual flaming fire! the really ironic thing is just before said miner conflagration, we were listening to a weerd al song about "the worst day ever!" which included lines about losing one's wallet and having one's head on fire being part of the worst day ever. Luckily the only thing that caught on fire was the durritos and the most serious injury was a very very miner burn to the tip of my ring finger, (which was fine once I ran it under the tap).

The really! scary thing is that had my lady been the one to get the duritos, she'd not have seen or smelt the fire (since she has a very limited sence of smell), so the potential consquence could've been quite nasty indeed! My lady attributes this to angels, though whether angels or some luck by the god of microwaves I'm not sure.

The microwave in question was a talking one from kobold systems and one we've had for a long while since it was a present from an old neighbor who lost his sight early on and then died, leaving his various tech gear to me on the basis some might be useful.
It's been really handy, but quite a thing for it to go out in a literal blaze of glory! big_smile.

So yes, this evening was interesting indeed! big_smile.

@Mirage, interesting (and in the actual sence of interesting not the flaming fire sense). I might try quest to the core if there is time, since I did understand it didn't have the access fixes the other games did so was a little more problematic.
As to Timecrest, I went and looked up the Applevis page. I do wish slightly someone had posted about that one in new releases since it really sounds like my sort of thing, and something I'll definitely be trying out, though i might as well wait for the vo update.

2016-09-07 21:29:58

Dark,
What a frightening experience!
I once had a cooking fire on the stove so I threw a bowl full of water in the direction of the fire, not knowing where it was.
I also have a small fire extinguisher attached tot he wall near my kitchen for any grease fires.
However most important you probably need a new microwave.
We purchased a Panasonic Genius 1250 Watt 1.6 cubic feet Sensor Microwave with Inverter Technology
from Amazon for $140.99.
It doesn't talk but has physical buttons that beep when pressed instead of a flat touch pad.
Family size 1.6 cuft capacity and 1250 Watts of High Cooking Power, Genius One-Touch Sensor Cook and Reheat that eliminates guesswork by automatically setting power levels and adjusting cooking or defrosting times
5 Button Keypad with Flat Panel buttons for easy programming, 6-digit Expanded display panel for easy viewing, 10 Power Levels and 5 Stage Cooking, 15" Turntable

2016-09-08 00:13:50

Dark what possessed you guys to microwave Doritos?!  The seasoning on the chips is not only flammable, but burns at a very high temperature.  People use Doritos for kindling to start fires, haha!

I'm glad you guys didn't burn the whole place down.  smile

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2016-09-08 04:35:50

I actually didn't know that.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2016-09-08 06:24:33

Well I'll be damned I didn't know that doritos were flammable either. See below for a guy cooking a stake using Doritos for fuel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt7oTbxSCjA

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2016-09-08 07:30:27

And here again is an example of things we just, don't have any information about because we um, well, don't read labels.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2016-09-08 08:18:24

@Aprone, I actually thought you were joking there for a minute. We've done doritos in the microwave a good few times, indeed my family would have them with chilly, which moron makes crisps with a flammable seasoning?

Very nuts, and again not something anyone would assume. Though the fire service did think the age of the microwave was in question.

Anyway, it's all worked out and we'll look at getting a new microwave today. The talking one has actually been rather useful. It's one of these things that I'd not exactly need, but have found a very handy thing to have, both as a conventional kitchin timer and in terms of being able to do stuff precisely, they also have a good bulb in them which heats quickly (as indeed I just found out), big_smile.

2016-09-08 10:20:01

Well I suppose a lot of foods are actually flammable... alcohol, fat, oils, grease.  Dry pasta noodles will steadily burn like candles, and are used by people to reach in and light their furnace/water heater pilot light.  Normal potato chips are flammable too, but just not quite to the level that doritos are.  Graham crackers are supposed to go up in flames very quickly (flash burn) though I've never seen it myself.  I may be mistaken, but I believe I've heard that some cheeses are flammable because of their grease content.  It would seem that when we sit down for dinner, we are refueling ourselves in more ways than one.

Did you know, a staggeringly high percentage of people who burned to death, had eaten food at some point during the day beforehand?  Coincidence?  Probably, but what good is having tin foil in the house if you don't wear it as a hat every now and again.  tongue

Edit:  I can't believe I almost forgot about flour!  Not only have people died from flour explosions since like, forever, but one of my co-workers burned down his kitchen in part because he didn't realize flour was flammable.  He had actually started a small grease fire by accident and knew pouring water on it would be a mistake.  He grabbed a bag of flour and dumped it in an effort to stop the fire before it could spread to the larger pot he was deep frying a turkey in.  He said there was a forceful bang (flour explodes more than it burns) and flaming oil was blasted everywhere in his kitchen, also setting alight the oil in the large fryer.  He had burns on his hands and arms, and lost his kitchen by the time the fire department arrived, but was otherwise alright.  This happened quite a few years ago.

Powdered coffee creamer is flammable too.  For Halloween, on 2 separate years, I had a pumpkin that shot powdered coffee creamer up out of the top using compressed air.  The blast of creamer would fly past a few candles attached to the rim of the pumpkin, lighting the cloud.  The result was tall blasts of fire that were easily 10 feet in the air.  The last time had several people complaining to me about safety issues, so I have not repeated the fire breathing pumpkin since.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2016-09-08 11:05:39

Ah, I've always wondered what dying of spontaneous combustion might be like... Think I'll go get me some of my mother's freshly made flower tortillas as soon as I can.

2016-09-08 15:17:20

@aprone, we don't have gram crackers over here, but I was once shocked by what happens if you light a digestive biscuit on fire, then again flour, sugar and fat and likely preservatives probably isn't a good combination in terms of fire safety.

Look on the bright side though, all those ready meals that we say taste like plastic? well now there's a perfectly good explanation as to why. They may taste awful and have the nutritional content of a boal full of glue, but at least we know they're made of properly fire safe polima, none of those nasty combustable vitamins and minerals and calories big_smile.

2016-09-08 15:49:38

Well, my first post on one of this topics. I should probably add to the already going conversation but ... nah.
As people who know me know, I'm still going to school. This year's already torcher, we got piles of homework even on the first day and have been getting it all other days too. Luckely the first test is only in middle of October, but we'll be getting other marks before then. Not sure how it's called in English, I guess translated from my language it would be asking, don't care to check, but yeah, some teachers already plan to start this week. I know, I'm complaining to much now, I'll get used to it eventualy, it's allways hard the first munth after summer.
This year it's 9th class. Which means being the oldest, the smartest and all that. It also means choosing where to go next. I'm worried about it. I've got another half a year or so to choose, and I have no ideas what I want to be, where I want to go, why and how. Everyone else eather knows exactly or at least has some idea. I'm honestly afraid to choose wrong, to mess up, I know you can change it later but it will still cost you if you do.
So if anyone bother's answering, how was it for you? How did you decide where to go to, did you have an idea from the beginning or got one the last second? I know that there were school debates here priviusly but still it doesn't hurt to ask.

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2016-09-09 06:32:59

Well, for me, it was pretty much a last minute thing. I graduated last year, at 21. School was pointless for me, only tech and English being of any value. In the States, we have job counsellors, which suggest jobs for blind and other disabled people. So they suggested a job, I thought about it, and accepted it. I'll be getting training directly for it, in Arkansas, starting sometime next month I believe, although no one seems to know exactly when. *grumbles about no one seeming to know much of anything in government nowadays*.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2016-09-13 06:24:32

@Mayana, For me, it was relatively easy, since I always knew I wanted to go to university, if nothing else just to go to university and learn, then again I am a somewhat academic type. The question was what, and once I determined philosophy as a subject that was pretty much settled. then again that was in the days when, if you had good enough marks and a half way decent offer from university, you were able to go without running up debts the size of the national defense budget for the Uk, since then the government has decided that while it's going to pay for athletes and politicians and extra sports centers, students can create cash by paying back lones at whacking great interest for universities who can charge what the hell they like, so it's financially a less viable option over here than it used to be.
Paradoxically though, socially university is probably the best thing i've ever done as a blind person, and since if your visually impared your unlikely to get a high enough paying job to qualify for paying back that lone anyway, it probably doesn't matter anyway.

Either way, if your academic I'd strongly consider university, simply because of who you meet, the life, and the generally good experience.

otherwise your on the basis of looking for a job which can be a pretty dicy prospect if your visually impared.

As for me, life continues. To my utter and ever lasting shock, Lloyds insurence actually paid for a new microwave streight off without any prevarication, which was nice since financially things aren't as esy as they could be right now owing to various complex things to do with bennifits and my lady's entrance into the country, still we'll be okay, we just can't be lavish spenders for a while big_smile.

Other than that things are good. I'm writing a review for The Bfg, trying out cosmic rage mud in preparation for writing a db entry, and am now going on to the second volume of mistborn. my wife and I are also reading Star tide rising by david brin which is pretty awesome sf about evolved dolphins, so a definitely interesting read, apart from the fact the uplift universe Brin writes in is just fascinating in and of itself (I've never seen a universe with quite as many  and varied aliens).

I really do hope the audiogames archive sorts things out, since I was in the process of doing things with the db, but hopefully it'll work out okay.

2016-09-13 09:35:48

Hi to all!
I am struggling again.
again to be in a singer and a programmer and what I want to be something and I am something else
these things are conflicting sometime. BTW happy Eid to all of the friends of audio games.
at dark
the archive thing is temprorarily solved.
I have a question how do you read these books which you mentioned in Braille?
or in PC?
Thanks
Ishan

life's battle do not always go to the stronger and faster man,
But sooner or later who win the one who thinks he can!

2016-09-13 13:29:49

At Devin: Yep, both for WSB and LCB, I could never get a precise date until the last minute. Plan on "some time next month" meaning "near or on the first", but don't be surprised if it means "near or on the thirty-first".

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.