2016-09-10 03:11:32

so this is more of a mini rant than anything, but yeah
why the hell is it that installing a bundle of programs can so drastically affect your system? my computer was working just fine this morning, I found myself needing to install office for a few specific things that I'm gonna need to start using soon
installer either blue screens my computer or restarts it without warning, not sure which because I was AFK at the time
log on... what the hell! why is... uh... why the hell does it take me approximately 45 seconds to open an application, and about 20-25 just to open all programs in the start menu?
I managed to remove it after about 3 hours of trying and failing, thing kept freezing
but seriously microsoft? I only installed like half of the components and your thing can still fuck up my system to that extent?
before anyone says anything, I'm convinced it was office because as soon as I removed it and restarted my computer, bam... lag's gone
now that that's out of my system, need to look up if there are standalone downloads for the programs, hopefully there are

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2016-09-10 03:22:58

I think that your ram memory or your processor is the problem!

73 Wj3u

2016-09-10 09:53:33

I have installed office in all my three computers and I experience absolutely no lag.
Are you sure you have downloaded Office from a trustful site?

2016-09-10 12:19:11

Hi.
Well, join the club, I had some of those issues a while back.
I had installed a microsoft office version that was in english but for school purposes, I needed the german one and installing voice packs didnt work, don't ask me why.
But, the real pain came up when I wanted to uninstall the program, it freaking never worked the way it should. Shure, some parts of the program were removed from my system, but there were still some core components which couldn't be removed.
I managed it after using an uninstaller, cleaning the registry of any keys, restarted the pc, defragmenting the harddrive, and starting that thing again, finally it worked.
So yeah, MS Office can be a real pain, but that's with all microsoft products, I guess.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2016-09-10 17:21:37

@afrim like I said before though it's an organization copy, so theoretically it should be fine

2016-09-10 21:49:12

I've had Office installed on my computer as almost the first thing installed and have never had problems with it crashing or bogging down my system.

But if you are set on not installing Office, you might want to look at Open Office, it's free and if I'm correct, it's open source. Don't know how it rates for accessibility though.

2016-09-13 05:37:09

The one I've heard recommended a lot recently is LibreOffice. IIRC, it's actually a fork of OpenOffice, and it's updated more frequently than  OpenOffice.

2016-09-13 06:14:45

thanks for both of those, I'm gonna have to check them out
hopefully they're at least somewhat accessible

2016-09-13 15:25:03

If I didn't have Office 2007 from when I was working and got it on Microsoft's At Home Use program for $10, I'd be using Open Office. Thanks for that tip about Libre Office, I didn't know about it.

2016-09-13 15:39:00

also you can get a libreoffice addon that adds some menus to its menu bar and well it basically turns your libreoffice into an office suite, plus a free duxbury braille translator. kind of neat i think. its called odt2braille.

2016-09-13 16:35:41

And how I get this libreofice addon_ Josh_

73 Wj3u

2016-09-14 18:02:08

what you did was install a pirated office with a virus in it, I'm surprised  no one mentioned that yet

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2016-09-14 19:16:07

it shouldn't have been unless the organization I'm working for doesn't have a legal copy
on the bright side though, libreoffice does in fact work quite smoothly so thanks jason

2016-09-15 03:18:32

It's possible for an install of an application to go wrong without the user doing anything illegal or the vendor doing anything malicious.

I currently can't install the cumulative update for Internet Explorer 11 Microsoft released yesterday because it causes IE to treat .url files as files to download rather than to open. So everyone of my saved favorites, if launched from outside Internet Explorer causes IE to ask if I want to download or save the file, if I choose open, it proceeds normally. Favorites do work normally when launched from inside IE.

I tried googling for a fix, but couldn't find anything that worked.

I'm sure a lot of people have installed this update with no problems, but until I find a solution, I can't.

2016-09-15 05:20:19

huh, well in the meantime though I'm just gonna use libreoffice, it seems to run smoothly enough for office formats

2016-09-15 16:02:01

Does it support the new file formats introduced in Office 2007, or just the older formats from earlier versions. The newer formats have an x added to the file extensions, so doc becomes docx and xls becomes xlsx.

2016-09-15 16:24:25

From what I can find, it does. I did find some forum posts complaining of incorrect display and formatting of docx files, but they are all years old, and all concern version 4.x of LibreOffice. As I recall, LibreOffice is now up to version 5.2.1, so things have probably improved significantly since then.

2016-09-15 16:26:01

The one exception I can think of is that in most cases, MS Office macros are not compatible with LibreOffice.

2016-09-15 17:11:54

I can confirm that at the very least docx files are supported, I haven't had the chance to test anything else yet

2016-09-16 00:28:15 (edited by Figment 2016-09-16 00:29:57)

Something interesting I discovered years ago, probably old news now.

On a whim, I looked at one of the new x files from Office 2007 with a hex editor, and noticed that the file started with the letter P and K, just like zip files do. So I renamed a docx file to a zip file and it opened! Inside I found a directory structure and a bunch of XML files.

Very interesting.