2016-08-27 16:07:11

hello guis.
i am ashley, and i want to ask you all if there is not an accessible programing language for the blind with the compiler and every thing that it requiers to work.
i know about bgt and i like it.
but i want to learn a new language because i like programming altho i am not good at that at all.
thanx

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2016-08-27 16:51:15

I believe most if not all major programming languages have accessible compilers these days. You could try python to get started. C and C++ probably have accessible compilers too.

2016-08-27 17:08:11

Visual Studio can never seem to decide if it wants to be accessible or not. Otherwise, you're golden. Especially if you learn to compile from the command line (gcc, javac, etc).

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2016-08-27 20:46:35

My personal favorite is Pure Basic.

2016-08-27 23:48:47

Generally speaking, all programming languages are accessible to an extent largely because all you need to write code is a simple text editor. Running or compiling that code though can be a bit involved at times. The most accessible method is usually the command line, although there are a few tools around that seem to work well enough. Opinions on which language to go with vary, you'd probably find C/C++'s syntax closer to that of BGT since both use squiggly brackets for encapsulating code, if thats what your comfortable with. Python instead uses indentation and spacing for separating code and has a more readable syntax, it also simplifies memory allocation for you so you can focus more on program logic, combined with an abundance of tutorials and documentation make it ideal for picking up and learning.

Over time you are likely to learn many different languages and many of them share certain similarities making it easier to pick up others, so don't worry too much about picking the "right one", just pick one your comfortable with and go from there. As i've mentioned to others, I would recommend Python, you can read and follow the free version of Learn Python the Hard Way which will explain things and give you challenges to apply what you learn.

Other than using the command line which would be good to learn anyway, you could also try installing Pywin32 which comes with PythonWin. I've found it works with NVDA, at least much more so than the built in IDLE editor does.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2016-08-28 01:21:05

About these programming languages i have some questions:
1=Is there a way to compille a python file into executables with command line, or i have to use any module?
2=The unic way that i don't get too confused is identinf with notepad++, is there another ways to do it? Cause i'm familiarized with the brackets style.

2016-08-28 03:10:26

You need a separate program to package python excecutables, Pyinstaller and Py2exe are the more common ones, though there are others like cx_freeze if you run into compatibility issues.

With your second question, are you referring to different ways to write python code without indentation? Because unfortunately there is no other way to encapsulate code in Python other than indentation. Python uses squiggly and square brackets for defining dictionary and array lists of data, so theres no easy way to implement a C style syntax using them.

2016-08-28 06:58:49

hello,
at least the worst think about python for blind people is indentation
but, if you want to learn an easier language than C++, i recommend it to you, no memory management, compatibility between most of operating system (if you use modules that are just for windows, it will be for windows only for example)
but you can have very very very good performance in C/C++ because of pointers
also C++ has smart pointers which you can manage everything in it

2016-08-28 07:25:11

can i use grafix in BGT?
and if it is possibale, how can i do it can some one just write the code sothat i can see?

best regards

2016-08-28 08:44:04

hello,
with using dlls that have simple wrappers, yup, otherwise with bgt itself, nope

2016-08-28 13:31:53

If do you want to make a game with grafix, i recomend you python and the pygame or pyglet library. And these programs has compatibility for python 3.x too?

2016-08-28 13:58:46

is python accessible?
if it is accessable can someone please give me the link to download it for free?
and if there is a pro vertion available please tell me about the diffirences about the 2 applications?

best regards

2016-08-28 14:29:34

Get it on http://www.python.org

2016-08-28 16:17:23

does it have text to speach options, and can i make audiogames for the blind with grafix?

best regards

2016-08-28 16:43:16

Python is not an environment like BGT, which is just a scripting language, simplified in many ways, but powerful in a special subset of programming that it focuses on. Python is a full-fledged opensource programming language. That means that everything is possible, either directly with your own code, using already made Python libraries for manipulating things like TTS, or directly through the system DLL's, COM interface or system services or whatever. Anything can be done in a complete programming language, but that doesn't mean it's going to be done easily, and without any learning and practice. Also, I'm not even sure if a totaly blind programmer can successfully make entertaining, engaging audiogames that would contain high-quality graphics. Perhaps just some simple high-contrast basic shapes for low vision players, something like David Greenwood did in Shades of Doom, why not. But I really can't imagine anything more advanced than that being done by a totally blind developer. This was a sum-up just so that you know what to expect.
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2016-08-28 16:50:02

so is there something that i can use that i can put grafix with an audiogame?
because i feel like making games for mainstreem gamers.
i want sighted people to play with blind people also.
but i dont want the sighted people to listen to the audio only, i dont know why they dont like it, but they only play when there is grafix in the game.
so if any one knows about something like that, please tell me about that.
thanx

best regards

2016-08-28 21:25:59

@brian.kurosawa
Pyinstaller and Py2exe added python 3 support a few years ago so they should be good, and so does Pyglet and Pygame, although there could be a few hickups here and there.

@ashleygrobler04
Python has a number of modules for handling TTS, such as Accessible_output2 or pyttsx. As for graphics I would probably recommend Pyglet, it has bindings for OpenGL and OpenAL with stereo capabilities. You may also find my accessible paint program Brushtone useful for creating 2D artwork, but keep in mind that even with these tools it will be very difficult without at least some vision, and will all but certainly require a great deal of patience. The Pyglet programming guide provides some examples for displaying images, playing sounds, and handling inputs to get started.

2016-08-29 01:05:34

Re: graphics
You can do graphics with Python. The trick isn't to do with the language, so much as your understanding and patience etc with developing graphics.
I've found that, if the game is interesting enough, sighted people might try a game with simple (ex: Swamp) graphics, but graphics quality is a big enough deal that you wouldn't get very far without something better, or at least something that takes the limitations and turns them into an art form (see: retro-style, everything from Square).
I think we can do better, naturally. tongue
If there were an open source 3d modeling application which was halfway comprehensible, code-wise, and was particularly suited for character models, making such a program accessible seems like a much better option than throwing something together from scratch. But I must caution that "accessible" might be a strong word for what I'm imagining. tongue
Here's how I made that Jacolantern. I just reread the code and didn't pay attention to whether the light is on or not. I'd call this average difficulty when it comes to graphics: you don't get to just draw things in a model editor and write code just to import and animate, but you don't have to put up with OpenGL's ... whatever that stuff is that you have to do before you can so much as display anything I don't even.
I like VisualPython / VPython's approach to graphics. It's the closest thing I've seen to BGT's sound features. Too bad I couldn't get anything but the example that draws the X/Y/Z axes to work. Maybe it'd make sense what I did wrong if I go back and check now, I dunno. (Bonus: VPython was, at least when I checked, faster than other popular 3d graphics engines. It does not, however, come with collision detection. It's meant mostly for, like, diagrams and stuff, even though it's capable of plenty.)

(I did make a halfway decent character pic with Java at one point, but the code is on a hard drive somewhere. And I'm still not convinced people weren't downplaying the flaws with the face. ... I don't remember if it had a nose. ... Or eyelids. ... I need to go dig this up and check in the next 12 hours -_- )

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-03-11 20:01:17

Hello to all of you, i have another problem.
How can i install accessible output for python?
what i am doing:
I go to the file directory with the command prompt.
I type:
pip install setup.py.
My error looks something like this,
collecting, and then the python file name.
Then it says something like could not find a version to sattifie.
Thank you.

best regards