2016-08-05 23:19:06

Hello folks. Quick question. Are there any other Linux distributions which are accessible, other than Ubuntu? I'd like to try Sonar, but due to it's issues with VMWare fusion, that seems impossible.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2016-08-06 02:36:08

Hello there,
Indeed there are. Try Arch Linux for the latest versions of all software, or Gentoo for customizability and flexibility. There are many, many others. You'll find one that's right for you.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2016-08-06 14:01:04

At Ethin, i'd figured i'd ask you this because i think you might have done this in the past and posted it. But, have you successfully got gentoo running with orca or speakup? Just asking, because, while i'm familiar with arch, i have never tryed to get gentoo running. Any advice? Thanks.

2016-08-07 00:12:07

@arqmeister, yes, I have. I've also managed to get Arch Linux running with both as well. Gentoo is a bit more complicated, but it certainly works.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2016-08-07 06:22:10

Debian is also good and if you want a OS with a lot of hacking tools then try Carly Linux.

Bitcoin Address:
1MeNca7h6m8du4TV3psN4m4X666p6Y36u5m

2016-08-09 13:47:32

you can try arch with speach from a arch distro that my friend made. you can get it from https://nashcentral.duckdns.org:8100
and click on the tech related projects

I like my uptime down low and my servers all hacked. Can see me droppin' twenty-fours with a router in the rack.
Ya like ya Switch-Ports hot and ya servers all hacked. If ya pings real high and ya networks pitch black.

2016-08-10 08:36:45

How do I get speakup working in the auto build archlinux image?

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2016-08-10 10:57:05

does arch have a graphical interface, like other modern distros, or its just a command line?

f.a.t.h.e.r

2016-08-10 11:05:54

I use Sonar now, on what used to be a Mac Mini. It works very well, even better than I'd hoped.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2016-08-19 02:03:11

my friends version of arch already has eSpeak up ready to role. when it starts, it will ask you what sound card you wan't to use or if it finds it, it will just lounch you into the arch izo, and all you have to do is type  autobuild in to the terminal and follow the promts. and my friends arch iso can install just a comand line version of arch, gnome, mate desktop, kodi, or everything. note, if you install everything witch is option 5 make sure you have more then 145 GB, give or take

I like my uptime down low and my servers all hacked. Can see me droppin' twenty-fours with a router in the rack.
Ya like ya Switch-Ports hot and ya servers all hacked. If ya pings real high and ya networks pitch black.

2016-08-19 04:47:19

You can most certainly get a gui for arch, but I prefer just to stay with the commandline for now.

Also, what's the difference in talking arch and the thing your friend made. When installing, i've always used talkingarch.

2016-08-20 02:06:58

Essentially, the differences between talking arch and my autobuild environment are the following:
1: use of NetworkManager instead of netctl for wireless connections, use wificonnect, which prompts you for the case sensitive name of your network to make things easier for those that are unfamilier with ncurses interfaces.
2: inclusion of an automatic installation procedure that can install and set up a secure, and accessible or not, system, detected automatically based on a boot option.
3: inclusion of a script that can make any 64 GB or larger flash drive into a complete accessibility solution featuring a partition containing windows accessibility tools such as a preconfigured copy of nvda, an open source screen magnifier called virtual magnifying glass, and a custom written program that can run ocr on either a pdf with image content or a raw image file, as well as a preconfigured linux system, similar to what the everything preset in the arch autobuild installer will provide, allowing you to preform tasks such as browsing files, data recovery and ferensics, the clamtk virus scanner, resetting windows passwords, an email client, web browsers, an office suite, virtualization software, the orca screen reader, an ocr program for scanners, basically the equivalent of an entire computer on a stick.
If you do not want to use any of the tools provided, the iso can still be used as a regular talking, or even standard arch iso if you select the no accessibility option as well.

2016-08-20 09:01:17

@hacker:
how do I enable accessibility? your iso boots but only get a beep. is it that I have multiple soundcards? well... multiple detected but one usable on my laptop? also, does this ISO install things so that you can switch from the virtual console to the gui and back without problems with orca, speech dispatcher, etc?

devin

2016-08-20 12:51:27

I don't know, but when I start vinux in my dvd, How can I press to say test vinux?
down arrow, or what?
Because I'm so new to linux OS.

73 Wj3u

2016-08-23 12:50:28

after you run Hackers arch ISO, your pc will beep and you wish for speech, press enter at the beep, and if you don't want accessibility on by difalt, press down aro once at the beep and press ender. And sorry for my taruble spelling. this keybored is not fun to type on