2009-05-23 05:21:29

Wow, I never ever in my mind thought I would have to worry about anything like this. yikes
Okay, here goes. I need a screen reader for a computer running Windows 98. I don't know yet if it's just 98, SE or what, but yeah. I wasn't using readers back then, as I still had sight, but don't know who to turn to for help, so though, why not here? I know an older version of JAWS will do it, but I don't have any licenses left for it, and am not ordering  an upgrade for JAWS (that's the only way they said they would give me any more) just to be able to test a couple of older computers for people. I would prefer something that I don't have to reboot the machine every forty minutes, or whatever, and really, something easy to use with that system. Any help is greeeeeeeeeatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Visit my site at VI Tek Talk.
A discussion forum for cross platform, cross device adaptive tech as well as adaptive tech insociety and different cultures.

2009-05-23 12:16:57

hi, email me and i should be able to help you..
my email id is [email protected]

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, β€˜It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2009-05-23 20:18:43

Jaws up until one version of 5 used quella, a floppy based auth system. Thus your licenses for ILM won't be any use anyway. Save your money. Unless of course the version of 5 would work, but still.

Not sure if NVDA might work or not, it's definitely worth a try.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-05-25 11:48:25

You could use Hal versions up to 6.53, as those don't use an internet- or phone-based activation system. However, this is illegal, strictly seen. Unless the owner of the Win98(SE) machine owns a copy of such an old Hal-version, you are not allowed to use the CD to install Hal from that CD.
Dolphin themselves want you to buy a version 7-license, if I'm not mistaking. That's kind ofexpensive though. But if you don't want to use the system for more than 30 days, this is a perfect method of accessing older computers. The demo lasts for 30 days, with no extra limitations.
Thought I'd post this in case anybody else needs this information later...

2009-05-26 07:15:16

Well, this is only to test the machine. I don't think I am goign to keep it, unless something is botched on it, the person can't use it for their needs, andI can use it for something. Basically my girlfriend's uncle bought a laptop for $5 at a garage sale so he could have something to check his email when he goes up north for hunting or whatever. It's soooooooooooo old that there isn't any USB ports or ethernet on it at all, so finding a plug in (expansion card based) ethernet card for it might prove to be a waste of time and be way tooo costly (age of machine, age of technology and all that).

Visit my site at VI Tek Talk.
A discussion forum for cross platform, cross device adaptive tech as well as adaptive tech insociety and different cultures.