2009-04-21 23:33:50

I have a laptop and my external soundcard is dieing off. I want surround sound, so was wondering what you guys thought. So far I have come up with two possibilities, and want to know if any of you can answer my questions, or have any suggestions.

The first is the Creative Fatal1ty USB headset:
http://us.creative.com/products/product … duct=17806

Does that deliver the true 5.1 sound using the USB connection, with it's built in X-Fi setup, or do I have to have an external soundcard capable of true 5.1?

and the other possibility so far is a Creative Fatal1ty (regular 3.5mm jacks) paired with a Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 USB.
Fatal1ty Gaming Headset:
http://us.creative.com/products/product … mc_id=8866

X-Fi Surround USB soundcard:
http://us.creative.com/products/product … &nav=4

If you have any other suggestions that don't include "virtual surround" that will be closely the same price, shoot them here. Thanks.

Visit my site at VI Tek Talk.
A discussion forum for cross platform, cross device adaptive tech as well as adaptive tech insociety and different cultures.

2009-04-22 06:53:36

Sounds like they *should* be able to give as good as you can get for 5.1 in a headset. Obviously I can't promise this, but USB sound set ups are normally pretty self contained. You don't even need a sound card to use them, so I presume they have a USB one of some kind built in.

I'm actually tempted myself, when I next get a headset.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-04-23 00:38:58

Well, it's still up in the air right now though. I figured that the USB ones were totally self contained, but wanted any advice before purchasing. I might end up going and getting the second combo though (the USB soundcard/surround headset with 3.5 mm jacks) that way I can just plug in the headset if/when I get a desktop (seeing as most PCs come with 7.1 channel cards now standard). Either which way I go, I'll let you know the outcome (although it'll be a while before I buy this item).

A discussion forum for cross platform, cross device adaptive tech as well as adaptive tech insociety and different cultures.

2009-04-23 07:55:02

Thanks, that will be most interesting.

Of course since I'm just moving into a rented house by myself for the first time on Wednesday my own money is going tob e very tight for a few months, so I completey understand.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-04-24 00:48:38

Ahahaha, funny you should mention that... Yeah, I just did the move thing, and should probably stretch the money a little more, but my soundcard is like dead. Ever take a record and play it, then move the record by hand? That is what my soundcard is sounding like more and more often.

Anyway, after talking to a couple of people (and noone of them working for Creative Labs) I found out that the USB headset with the built in soundcard (yes, full true surround out of the USB one) actually has better sound than getting the US soundcard and the regular (3.5 mm jack set) surround headset. Hopefully, if all goes right I'll be picking up the headset next friday for $81.99 + tax American, but I"ll be getting $50 off of that right off the top (Thank you rebates).

I would have liked to get the Barricuda headset by Razer with a compatible card, but it seems that Razer doesn't make a USB card, and the Barricuda is a $200 headset by itself, and isnt self contained like the US Fatal1ty (more than I can afford right now for a combo, let alone just a unit that needs a card still).

Once I get it set up, I'll report with music test, screen reader testing, and of course, games, games, and more games. Oh yeah, did I mention that I should test this with gaming? tongue

2009-04-24 03:50:50

Well naturally if you need it to use a computer then that's a necessity for us VI lot. Right now my sennheiser pair I got from the RNIB's shop are doing the job well enough for the moment.

That said I wonder if the USB headset might help an issue I've had with my netbook. I get stereo sound fine through media player etc, but when it comes to games it's mono all the way.

cx2
-----

2009-04-29 19:55:15

These headsets work on XP 32 bit right? I do have service pack 2 2 on my system. I just find it strange they list only the 64 bit verson of XP, but list 32 and 64 bit vista. Are they saying that the CD that comes with the headset only works on 64 bit windows and that vista has bilt in drivers? I looked under the requirement section of the page listed here for the headsets. Anyway, I might would buy these headsets if they would work on my desktop and laptop. both are running a 32 bit OS, one is vista and the other XP with service pack 2.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2009-05-14 23:25:29

Sorry about the delay in reposting. To answer you, yes they will work in the 32-bit systems. I run XP home/SP3 32-bit and i have no issues with the software installation (that is OS based that is).

I ended up getting the USB version of the Fatal1ty. A couple of issues I did find. First off, they aren't true 5.1 (which by the way they were advertised, I thought they were). I haven't really been able to test teh simulated 5.1 yet as 1. I had to reinstall Win XP just the other day, and haven't gotten my games installed yet, and 2. it seems that Windows has totally dumped and won't let me boot into it at all, so... sad

there are a couple of issues I found (for me at least) is that my screen readers (JAWS 9, JAWS 10, and even an last ditch attempt with MS Narrator) wouldn't let me click/select anything on step 2 of the installation. I had to have my girlfriend come over and select which country I live in, and then click "Next" on that screen. After that, I think I was able to make the rest of the choices on my own. There is one other problem, but that will come later.

Now, for a quick review. I did manage to get a little gaming (very very little, but an attempt). I tried it with Shades of doom. There are a couple of settings that have to be set up in the control panel to get the simulated 3-D sound, but from what little I messed with, it sounded decent. Going from 2 channel though, to 5.1 sum sound, it is going to take a little getting used to. The music sound great compared to the crap sound that (most) windows standard cards/drivers put out. It's almost the difference between listening to an AM radio station versus a brand new CD.The highs are nice and clear, and the bass rumbles (that is IF that is what you want). wink I can also wear them for hours and hours and hours on end and only get  minor irritation. The headband is soft and comfy (for me at least) and the ear cups are decently sized and also padded with fabric instead of leather/plastic/whatever else they use for that. They aren't true circum-oral as advertised, but they do cover enough of my ears to block out most other sound. The only problem in comfort I found (and this is probably because my ears are just funky somehow) is that my left ear gets a little sore after many many many hours of wearing (but I also have my right ear off so I can hear around me a lot of the time).

The main configuration panel is accessible with JAWS. You don't really have to use any special cursors to get to anything. This is where you go to set up the simulated 3-d/5.1 channel, the crystalizer (which is another sound filter that makes things way better) and the Effects for your surround. It's simple. You select the tab you want, tab to a check box for on or off, and then make adjustments with arrows. Done and done.

As for setting up your EQ... hmm That area of the console is totally inaccessible. Again, "girlfriend... heeeeelp!" no JAWS9/10 pc cursor, no JAWS cursor, no MS Narrator working. Once you get that though, there isn't anything else that you should need sighted help for.

The software bundle that comes with it (the "extra" stuff, not the needed software" is, just as usual for creative, either totally inaccessible or so much a pain to use with JAWs that it isn't worth it.

All in all, I like them a lot. Great sound, easy adjustment  to the crystalizer/surround amount/sound effect (room effects), and comfort. I haven't tried the mic either yet, but eventually when I hop onto skype or something, we'll see (or if I find a game I like that has voice chat in it, that would be awesome too). Unfortunately though, if you can't get sighted help, and rely on JAWS completely, then don't go Creative (unless you just get the normal headphones with a 3.5 mm jack). I don't understand why they can't just code all of their stuff in one programming language. I mean, the software that gets integrated with Windows Sound options is accessible, the software to set up the simulated surround is accessible, so why can't the bundled software/installation/EQ settings be accessible? I'll stop there before it turns into a rant or what not. Hope that helps.