2016-07-24 19:50:35

ooh! a Dictionary entry. that... Doesn't apply to my situation. Nice.
I worked around the DRM for a product that I'd already baught. I stole nothing.
Nuance still has eloquence, they are not excluded from using it, they can still prophit from it. They don't deserve to, but they still can.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2016-07-25 00:54:35

If even working around the drm of eloquence in the closest to legal way you can involves buying Code Factory's version of Eloquence, then using the sapi4 version with a bridge, then so be it. You know Nuance will get most of the undeserved cash, but Code Factory will get some, not sure how much they get out of the 70 bucks. We all worked around drm back in the old iTunes days, which of course was controversial, but the long and short of it is that drm blows, plain and simple. Every drm system I've seen has been extremely intrusive and provided no user control whatsoever. I have plenty of ideas for drm systems that would involve year-long license files, then after the year the program would redownload the file, and, even better, the program would come with a license manager to let you know when your license would expire and need to be redownloaded by the program, and all of that info would be stored locally. This way, in the event an of an unavoidable isp outage at the time of license redownload, you could make that trip over to the nearest restaurant or gas station with public wifi to get your license redownlloaded so there is no program outage. That would provide some transparency in the license control system, without being too intrusive. True, it could become potentially easier to break, but when has there ever been a truly unbreakable drm system? There hasn't. It's software, it can always be broken. And it places much more problems on genuine customers than pirates, so much that it's become a reason to crack software alone. Not because loss of respect, but because of the intrusive drm system.

2016-07-25 10:58:57

Moderation!

Good gravy this situation is spiralling out of control.

@joshknnd1982, figment is correct that using a cracked version of Jaws is not a good thing. Please do not discuss the matter further or recommend to others or consequences will be serious.

@Figment,  might I suggest you remember the advice in This topic
Whatever the rights and wrongs of this matter, your posts are getting severely inflamitory and boardering on personal attacks.
while some things, eg, out and out theft is wrong, thereare planely nuances (forgive thepun), and distinctions here, about ownership, copywrite, and above all about who is harmed. Your one note attitude and your personal insults are not helping here, either to clarrify the issue, discuss it rationally, or indeed for everyone to behave in a civilized way, ---- neither did myself or the other moderators appreciate the tone of your repport and your aspersions about the forum.

This is not to say "everything is okay", since as everyone is fully aware we are dead against game and software hacks, however, there is much more grey to this issue, especially as far as discussion goes than black and white, and  aggressively voicing opinions on either side does not help discussion, consideration, or indeed do much good for the forum in general. Indeed, I'll say we have in the past had to ban one person entirely due to his inability to disagree with others gracefully.

If this discussion cannot be more civilized the topic will be closed and parties might recieve mod warnings, since if we cannot discuss contentious issues like reasonable people, better not to discuss them at all.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-07-25 15:16:58

@Dark

What's wrong, don't like having to look at the truth? I know what I saw, I saw a pirated copy of Pure Basic offered and accepted right here on these forums, and you ignored it with the comment that you couldn't see how anyone was being hurt by it. By your own actions, it appears that you turned a deaf ear to software piracy. How else could that be interpreted?

You may as well close this topic, by their postings, these people appear to be bound and determined to steal Eloquence and JAWS. and it appears that no amount of arguing will sway them. They keep coming up with invalid reasons they use to justify their theft.

2016-07-25 16:32:43

at figment, so lets say I like McDonalds fast food. one day i decide I don't feel like paying for their food anymore so I play around in the kitchen and make something that tastes exactly like their food. and from now on I just make my own McDonalds restaurant food at home. am I stealing from them now? huh? because i discovered how they make their food and furthermore told my friends how to do it so now they do it also. oh yeah and by the way figment while I'm here I might as well tell you last night I did make some food that tasted exactly like the McDonalds copyrighted recipes. so i think I will give my recipe to all my friends and family so they can just make their own McDonalds burgers at home and no longer have to spend gas money to drive to the restaurant. so go ahead might as well bring down those consequences figment. because now I am stealing restaurant food by discovering how they make it and copying it in my own kitchen and passing around its source code, or the recipe, ha ha ha ha hahahahahahaaa!!!!!!

2016-07-25 17:05:57

@josh: Alright, just because this is a thread about Nuance doesn't mean we go talking about stealing this and that. Gene, no offense, but call my reasons invalid if you like. I've done tons of research on Nuance and know that they are nothing more than a competition slaughterer, just picking up where people left off, making nothing of their own originality. On the other hand, if they actually! made their own tts voice that is comparable to voices like Mac Alex, the Google Tts cloud voice, Amazon *ivona* Alexa, you name it, and it was their own original work, then yes, I'd have more respect for them. Until then, the point still stands that they are only abusing their power. As for the Pure Basic issue I can't speak for that as I missed out on that thread, but all I can say is I will neither agree nor disagree with Dark's comment as all I have is what was posted on this thread. Pure Basic, however, is an original work, that allows you to create both free and commercial applications, so making money off of a pirated copy is definitely very much illegal and also inethical as well. That doesn't mean cracking Nuance Vocalizer is legal, but Pure Basic is a language that, if I really thought I needed it, I'd most likely buy it, otherwise just stick with free languages. Same with Jaws, I don't use a cracked version, partyl because I do have a license, and also because I, well, just don't use it anymore, I use Nvda, which avoids cracking altogether. If Josh does things that make it necessary, the 40 minute demo should be fine, I used to do such a thing when I needed to OCR, just run the demo. As overpriced as Fs's software is, I can give them one thing, they did actually make it. So they do have some integrity to stand on as a software developer, and since Nuance hasn't completely made anything original from the ground up, just built upon existing work, they, in my honest opinion, have no integrity to stand on. While Nvda addons, for example, are adding on to an existing product, they are a different story, making those who write them most certainly software developers. Nvda is meant to be extendable, and Nvda addons can be major revolutions, think Nvda Remote, the soon to come Dictation Bridge, etc. They can also have an entire software dev team behind them, think Station Playlist Studio's extensive app module. See, there's originality right there. Nuance, on the other hand, has done none other than rip off existing code, and quite literally rip the Loquendo voices apart seeing as they have no universal expression, which was what made Loquendo a champion at the time. Oh wait, they probably have voice expression, it's just inside Vocalizer Studio which, of course, is only distributing to businesses! So, point made. I won't hold it against anyone if they buy Eloquence or any Nuance product, I'm simply making people aware of where the money is going, into the hands of a competition slaughterer, Code Factory and Nv Access only getting part of it, so much so that I'd rather just straight off donate to Nv Access because I'd have exact control of where the money is going, and to a good cause, no less.

2016-07-26 09:38:30

What about Nuance's fairly new voices like Ava? Are they from another company because I hadn't heard about that voice until I heard that Nuance had it.

2016-07-26 09:42:22

OK, this is really off-topic, but it is about what Josh said in post 55. I don't understand how you could make food that tastes exactly like McDonald's food. Their food is known for containing a lot of artificial material, i.e. the buns that they use for their burgers, or they use preservatives, i.e. everything in the burger. This being considered, how could you make food that tastes exactly like McDonald's food? Perhaps you could make fries that taste similar, perhaps a thickshake, but I don't think you could make a burger that tastes exactly like it. However, I stand ready to be disproven. I don't need a complete recipe, just an idea of how you did it.

2016-07-26 12:13:50

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2016/02/cl … c-at-home/

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2016-07-26 12:44:42

That's incredible. I would guess, though, that one you buy from a McDonald's restaurant would taste more "McDonalds'y", but I'm not planning on trying it to compare the two (I am not much of a fan for the Big Mac anyway).

2016-07-26 14:26:23

Nor am I, but since the question was asked, I figured I'd provide some info.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2016-07-26 16:33:07

@tjt1234: Nope, Ava's not Nuance's own voice. It's based on the Svox Grace voice. Svox was a company that made voices a while back. They didn't make desktop voices, only one that could run was the open source Pico of course. But they made voices for mobile devices and consumer electronics, especially in-car systems. Grace was one of the common voices used in gps and in-car systems, and if you had an android device, at the time these were some of the most recommended voices around, because they worked incredibly smoothly with Android 2.2/2.3 Froyo Gingerbread. Unfortunately, Svox was acquired by, you guessed it, Nuance. Worse yet, unlike Loquendo,  either they never got the chance, or they purposely forgot to pull their voices from the play store. Wasn't a problem in Ice Cream Sandwitch they were still alright. Later versions of Jellybean is when they really started to crash. And here's one to top that, they worked better on some devices than others! For example, I purchased Grace a while back and she worked fine on my Nexus running Kitkat, despite a few occasional engine reinitializations that, although slightly annoying, did not leave me without speech. It all went well up until Marshmallow, when Svox would enter an infinite crash loop. Every time I even so much as gestured to try to switch back to a working tts: Unfortunately, Svox Classic tts has stopped. No way out of it other than suspending Talkback and tapping around for luck, hoping the estimation was right as to where Google Tts was, the only engine that I had that didn't have the 3rd party warning. So these voices are left in the Play Store, unupdated, still available for purchase. Thankfully, there is a two week trial for each voice, so new device owners can thoroughly test the voices to make sure they work before buying the voices, which still are reasonably priced, because for a time, they did work. Of course, with Svox in Nuance's hands, they updated the voice, gave Grace a voice-lift, and renamed her Ava. And don't get me wrong, Ava does sound good! But it was not! their own creation, just like everything else they've done.

2016-07-27 01:56:01

just to let you all know I emailed both baum and nuance and sent microsoft windows feedback with their app about international tts. I asked Baum about making a free international tts with no watermark. they told me talk to nuance. so i emailed nuance asking them to make a free international tts with the only purpose to let sapi5 apps see and use sapi4 voices. I also emailed microsoft and I asked them please in a future windows update include a free version of international tts so that sapi5 apps can see and use sapi4 voices. so I am doing all I can to let older sapi4 be seen and used by sapi5 with no watermarks.

2016-07-27 04:01:01

Good luck getting it from Microsoft. Nuance may not even do it either. You never know though.

2016-07-27 11:08:19 (edited by Hrvoje 2016-07-27 11:10:50)

I've purchased Eloquence directly from Code Factory. However, now I'm not sure if this was a good idea, due to the following facts.
1. As a Windows 10 insider on a fast ring, I'm upgrading very often. Unfortunately, upgrades usually change your computer ID, and activation depends on it. That means if your computer upgrades automatically, and you forgot to deactivate, you will lose one activation. That happened to me fiew times, and I got activation reset once from Code Factory though, but it happened to me again when computer upgraded automatically without my knowledge. Thus I had to change settings so I can manually approve the update, so I can deactivate before upgrading. They told me like: You know, we warn users to deactivate before upgrading the os. How could I know that one insider build upgrade would change my computer ID? And what's even worse, I got upgraded without my knowledge.
2. Code Factory didn't give you the option to check remaining activation count. Thus, I even don't know how many activations I have left, though I assume I have 2.
Computer ID based license is in fact a bad idea. I also have a legal copy of Vocalizer for NVDA, but there I can check my remaining activations and I'll not lose any of them after upgrading the os. So, my advice is, think twice before buying it.

2016-07-27 14:20:25

Alright, well in that case ,they can go take Themida and shove it. I'll betcha Nuance forced them to have that drm system. Damn it Nuance! I'm sure they're too blinded by the billions of dollars that that arrive in their waiting hands, to realize that a lot of the Vocalizer for Nvda source code is readable, hint hint. Since Nvda is distributed under Gnu Gpl, you can't completely close source an addon. That was clearly discussed in the blog post explaining why Leasey for Nvda isn't planned. This goes out to anyone considering buying a product made by Nuance, I would seriously think twice about what you're getting yourself into. Especially with the sapi5 Eloquence and Vocalizer, considering the drm. I don't care what system is used, drm should not! be placed on a speech synthesizer. Just like music files can be rendered unplayable in the event of a lost license key, a system could be rendered speechless all because of the bloody drm. In-frickin-credible!

2016-07-27 14:51:51 (edited by Slender 2016-07-27 14:52:32)

What is, or rather, was going to be, Leasey for Nvda anyway?

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2016-07-27 15:06:28

Leasey is a comprehensive set of utilities for Jaws. Things that made using the computer easier. It is a menu-based overlay to the computer. The bundle even includes a games module that has a lot of games, some made exclusively for Leasey. I believe I remember a possible plan to make the games module a stand-alone component but I'm not sure as of yet. There can be no Leasey for nvda, at least not in the form of an nvda addon, because they cannot close source an addon. And since Leasey is a commercial product, open sourcing is certainly not part of the plan. And since Nvda itself is open source, addons cannot be closed source.

2016-07-27 18:45:23

@joshknnd1982

That's complete nonsense and not a valid comparison. While you might create something that tastes like food from McDonald's, chances are very small that you've managed to create their exact recipie, and even if you did, you wouldn't know that for certain, plus you had to work to create your recipie.

Now answer this, if using a pirated copy of Eloquence or JAWS isn't stealing, why do you need such an elaborate and imaginative justification for what you are doing?

@Jack

Everyone keeps going on about how Nuance is evil because they buy up their competition. Nuance wouldn't be able to buy up those other companies unless the owners or directors of the other company agreed to be bought out, so you can't blame Nuance alone. Also that Nuance buys out their competitors and doesn't maintain the products they acquired doesn't give anyone the right to steal from them. If you don't like them or how they are managing their products, don't use them. Although Nuance has done nothing wrong, two wrongs don't make a right. And if Eloquence is so bad because Nuance doesn't maintain it, why does everyone want it bad enough to steal it? Could it be that Nuance doesn't need to maintain it because everyone wants it as it is?

Most things made aren't new creations made by the company that is selling them, you give the impression that companies that don't create something new shouldn't be respected, so it's OK to steal from them. Panasonic didn't invent the television, should I have stolen my TV instead of paying for it? Dell didn't invent computers, should I have stolen it too? What about my iPhone? None of the technology in it was invented by Apple, so should I steal my next iPhone? And how about the Mac, when it was introduce, it was a proprietary design Apple created, but now Macs are just another PC compatible, a design that Apple certainly did not create! You see how quickly your argument about not respecting companies that don't create new things to sell falls apart? It is yet another meaningless and invalid justification for stealing.

Leasey

The menu driven part of Leasey is in tended for computer beginners, once you are comfortable with the computer, you can ignore the Leasey menu and just use key strokes to access Leasey's features. In fact I believe you have to have a license for Leasey Basic or Leasey Total to even have access to the menu driven part of Leasey.

2016-07-27 21:35:10

Firstly, @Josh: I do agree with Gene, that comparison wasn't a valid one. While branded food is trademarked, reproduced food isn't always an exact version of the food, and you did have to work to reproduce it, so no, it's not quite the same. Gene: You are right that not all of it is Nuance's fault, but get a load of this. It may not be all Nuance's fault, since after all the companies in question did have to accept the acquisitions, but some of these acquisitions were bitter at best, leading to the companies kind of being pushed into accepting the acquisition. Like this one, Where Nuance acquires ZI Corporation, taken straight from an article from Speech Technology Magazine:
"NuanceCommunications this week completed its $35 million acquisition of Zi Corp. and will incorporate Zi's mobile search technology into its suite of services.
This ends a sometimes-bitter acquisition process that began last August when Nuance offered twice the trading value of Zi's stock price. Zi resisted the offer, which led to a hostile takeover bid, as well as a patent lawsuit. The deal was eventually consummated for about $17 million in cash and $18 million in stock, and Zi's management encouraged stockholders to approve the deal." See, through manipulation, the corporation was eventually driven to believe that it was in their best interests to let Nuance swallow them whole, incorporating the technology into their own products.

2016-07-27 21:46:26

eloquence that wouldn't talk because it couldn't call up a server to varify it's licence? Gee, where do I sign up! That's exactly what the general public wants. Hell, let's charge double the price! I love it!

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2016-07-27 21:59:08 (edited by jack 2016-07-27 22:01:23)

Lol, that's exactly where I'm getting at! Drm blows! Especially when used with a speech engine! Like I said before, you guys wanna buy Eloquence then wait for a sapi4-sapi5 bridge and use that, thus avoiding the drm, that's fine as well I guess. Hey, you bought it, and if just to pay the money, I personally don't see a problem. It's pretty much the equivalent of what had to be done with ITunes music back before 2009. And the secret to most, if not all, of those drm removal tools for iTunes, is that they stayed as close to legal as possible, all looking for a matching pair of license keys for the song and the master key that you bought, i e, the programs knew what was a legit song and what wasn't, so people still bought the music from iTunes, then broke free from the drm. So, if Nuance makes text to speech voices that are defective by design, and requires other companies to do the same, fair enough. Taring down that wall of drm is necessary if we don't want to lose speech because of some paranoid license check system. And before anyone says otherwise, I do mean Defective by Design. Any company that makes software or services that do have users bound to extreme intrusive drm systems, is demed by the Free Software Foundation whom I fully support, as Defective by Design. Especially! the one used by Eloquence sapi5 and Vocalizer sapi 5 that doesn't even allow you to see your remaining licenses without contacting Code Factory, whom of course will say "Well we did warn ya about..." yeah yeah, we get it. Nuance made them put in a strong drm system, and this is how it's dealt with. I'm know I may be coming across as harsh, but I am simply fed up with this ultra-intrusive drm placed on speech synths, thereby making them defective by design.

2016-07-27 23:01:46

OK, "paranoid license check system". That makes me wish Code Factory had a sense of humor about the whole thing. Eloquence can't register. You load it. *tries to kick your CPU* Please sir! Give me my license! Give me my license! Give me my license! Where's that baseball! I want the baseball right now! Now! Now now now! Where's my baseball! *tries to kick a whole through your computer and fails*

2016-07-28 02:04:24

Lol! That would actually be a pretty fun encounter on the end of a person who's lost their license, at least they'd get a good laugh out of it!

2016-07-28 02:15:47 (edited by Slender 2016-07-28 02:26:38)

Video games have done things like that, instead of displaying error messages it introduces annoyances like invincible foes or the time when Crysis Warhead made your gun shoot chickens instead of bullets. In all seriousness, though, I do agree that the invasive DRM used in SAPI 5 eloquence is, as the FSF put it, defective by design. In fact, in the GNU GPL, there is a clause that specifically strips drM of its legal value, so if you broke the drm on something licensed under the gpL, you wouldn't be breaking the law. Though I'm not a lawyer, and my interpretation could be wrong, here's the clause I'm referring to that discusses dRM. "No covered work shall be deemed part of an effective technological
measure under any applicable law fulfilling obligations under article
11 of the WIPO copyright treaty adopted on 20 December 1996, or
similar laws prohibiting or restricting circumvention of such
measures.

When you convey a covered work, you waive any legal power to forbid
circumvention of technological measures to the extent such circumvention
is effected by exercising rights under this License with respect to
the covered work, and you disclaim any intention to limit operation or
modification of the work as a means of enforcing, against the work's
users, your or third parties' legal rights to forbid circumvention of
technological measures."
But I am not clear on the NVDA Code Factory addon, so I'm not sure if this clause would apply to it.