2016-07-07 19:02:50 (edited by Phil 2016-07-08 00:17:12)

Dark,
Congratulations!
Not on getting married, but on leaving Hershys  without gaining twenty pounds, I don't know how much that is in kilograms or stones.
I remember going there years ago when you could actually tour the chocolate factory and get free chocolate at the end.
I just finished watching Game Of Thrones Season 6 from the Blind Mice site.
Probably something you don't want to do after a wedding, either a red or brown.
I hope you got someone to audio or video record the ceremony.
My wife's nephew recorded ours, then promptly deleted it by mistake.

Here are things to do in New York:
Brooklyn Botanic Garden
home to the first garden in the United States specifically designed for blind or limited vision visitors. The Alice Recknagel Ireys Fragrance Garden, created
in 1955, offers plants selected for their fragrant or tactile qualities. Visitors are encouraged to touch and smell all the plants.

The Fragrance Garden plants, grown in raised beds, are the perfect height for those in wheelchairs or kids in strollers. They are very popular with small
children and can be enjoyed by anyone. Braille labels identify the plants, and young kids also enjoy the tactile guides.

Lighthouse International,
based in New York, publishes a guide, “Let’s Go! Museums in The Big Apple.” The guide details information on facilities for the vision impaired at museums
throughout the city. Some museums offer regularly scheduled touch tours, offering a tactile way for kids and adults to experience the museum; others have
verbal descriptive tours where guides go into great detail about what you are encountering.

Additionally, the non-profit
Art Education for the Blind
publishes a
New York Beyond Sight
audio guide with descriptions of favorite attractions by prominent New Yorkers. Their website provides many other resources for travelers with sight impairments

Family members of any age will appreciate a rainy day or an afternoon at the
Andrew Heiskell Library for the Blind
at 40 West 20th Street in Chelsea. This barrier-free branch of the New York City Public Library has adult and children’s reading rooms which provide specially-formatted
materials, equipment for listening to recorded books and magazines, and a variety of other electronic reading aids. There may even be a free concert or
lecture at your visit, so check their schedule ahead of time.

Exploring The Intrepid Sea, Air And Space Museum With The Blind

The
U.S. S. Intrepid
offers monthly guided verbal description and touch tours through the USS Intrepid, a WW II-era aircraft carrier. You can also book a private tour.

For those with low vision, the museum offers verbal description and tactile guides using smart pen technology. Borrow the guides at the information desk
and take the self-guided tour, with raised line maps, tactile images of artifacts and audio.

AFB American Foundation for the Blind
2 Penn Plaza, Suite 1102
New York, NY 10121
American Foundation for the Blind building
on 16th Street in Manhattan,

Lighthouse International
111 East 59th Street 
(800) 829-0500

2016-07-08 05:07:47

Hello phil vlasak!
I will certainly come to USA!
hahaha
Thanks
Ishan

life's battle do not always go to the stronger and faster man,
But sooner or later who win the one who thinks he can!

2016-07-08 19:04:23

@Nocturnus, actually my lady and I both hate shopping, so it usually is a matter of "how long can we put it off" up until "Well we can't go out for another! meal", then and then "how big an order can we make so that they deliver it in the van and we don't have to go shopping again" big_smile.

Bits of wedding shopping, eg buying my lady's dress were rather fun, but that's definitey the exception rather than the rule.
Indeed my lady has said my hatred of shopping is the one thing about me she doesn't particularly value, since as she hates shopping she'd have been better with a guy who enjoys it, of course I say the same with reversed gender big_smile.

I've noticed lots of things in this part of the world are fried. I enjoy the hole chicken in crumb or whatever, but usually in the uk the things tend to be grilled or done in the oven which I think on the hole I prefe. Even the good old full English breakfast, what used to be called "A fry up" I tend to make on the george forman instead big_smile.

@Phil, we've actually already been to new york. annoyingly we didn't really have time to do all the touristy things, though if we go back we'll keep your list in mind. Since my lady's sister (who has been very kind about letting my lady and I basically live with her for a couple of months), lives in Lebanon (the ttown not he country), which is about four hours drive from new York, when we saw the Lion king we basically got the bus down, went for grub, got a quick tour of time square,  then saw the Lion King and came back.
Very nice, if rather hechtic.

This morning I got a lovely phone call from my parents, apparently the solicitor has changed his mind and doesn't! want electronic copies of all the documents we need for the visa, despite the huge amount of time we've spent running around getting the dam things scanned in. He's also made changes to the application form, which amusingly enough needs to be sent, along with both of our passpports from the us back to sheffield which is less than an hour from where my parents live in the Uk, and then back again, despite, ---- you know us being there earlier this year and possibly going up the road rather than using stupid amounts of international shipping.
Apparently though, you know just walking into the office and presenting things is not "the process!" and far be it from me to interfere with something so sacred big_smile.

I actually confess the application is a trifle stressful, particularly now that the wedding, ie, the nice bit is out of the way.

Glad to hear the house is working Nocturnus. Goodness knows what my lady and I are going to do about living arrangements for the future. We've been okay in my one bedroom flat thus far, despite there being two of us and two dogs, but we really would like another room for storage if nothing else, though we're also afraid this will kick off the "I love you mum and dad but really don't want to live too close because you know I am actually an adult and married now" discussion, which is not exactly one I want to have, still, one thing at a time.

Alien out of the shadows was good, and I actually liked how the characters work, some of the bits were down right creepy especially the way that there was almost an h2g2 style "thank you for visiting the bridge" computer voice which spoke up everytime someone entered or left a room, ---- quite amusing when said person was a slobbering acid blooded alien monstrosity!

The one thing that I really didn't! like was the way tha ripley's memory got conveniently wiped at the end of the story. rEally, cop out or what!

Hopefully today my lady and I can get a break, which means either trying out cosmic rage or fixing Jim Kitchin's games in the db if I have the energy, playing more alteraeon if I'm feeling less energetic, or just curling up and reading a bit more david brin, which my lady and I are reading together and which is proving really! amazing, actually getting me in the mood for a space game.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-07-09 15:13:58

At dark sir!
you don't reply to my mail which I have sent.
well today is a very interesting one because My speed of internet become good and finally I manage to get a blind legend in my phone.
How crazy fight with a dog and a hang of the Iphone.
now the damn thing is going in my phone I just leave when the battery sucks.
and the phone is not responding after reading notification.
Thanks
Ishan

2016-07-13 16:06:27

Well things have been a little flat since I got married, though that's to be expected.
Part of this is all the stress of attempting to try and get all my lady's visa papers sorted out.
I'm not exactly pleased with the immigration service here, basically the way it works is they demand! you send them a hole bunch of things, pay a stupidly huge amount of money, then you don't even see someone, heck, even their demands are fairly impersonal since it's physically impossible to speak to a human being on the subject.

Our solicitor says the application is fine and he can't think of any reason it'd be rejected (which does bode well since he's a right stickler for etail), however I'd be happier if I was actually speaking to a human being rather than posting stuff into a post box to be returned to the uk, ironically being returned to Sheffield which is only about an hour from where my parents live (really we could've submitted things in person before we left).

Your even expected to  print your own postage labels. 

So hopefully that will work out and be in today, then we need to wait.

In other news, I'vebeen liking cosmic rage, albeit getting a bit hung up on a couple of issues, most recently boats since the commands to transport them are a right pest. I might go back to alter a bit later if I fancy some gaming, then again since I didn't exactly sleep last night I might well just crash as I'm feeling distinctly dead this morning, despite coffee (I'm probably going to go and have another cup).

On the plus side, I'm now reading under the dome by STeven King which I have to say rocks! I'm absolutely devouring it in a surprisingly short time, and finding it very compelling, if rather nasty.

It's odd, when Doctor Sleep came out in 13, I thought "Oh it's been years since I've read any king" and read doctor sleep and misery (there's probably still a topic on the forum about it). then I utterly forgot and didn't read anymore king.
A shame, since under the dome is proving awesome and I probably will do more King in the future a little more often as there is still a lot of his I haven't read.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-07-17 15:06:04

Hi audio gamers! and moderaters.
we haven't posted anything in this topic so let's get started.
We have covered a conference and a lots of interviews. and the conference about women welfare.
various issues has been discussed.
Thanks
Radio udaan team.

for more information please visit www.radioudaan.com
Radio udaan!
a flight of life!
India's online community radio station for visually impaired

2016-07-17 23:06:28

Hi Ru, glad to say hello.

Hope  the conference went well, what exactly were you doing coverage wise?

In terms of stuff, well still feeling minerly dead and trying not to worry too much about the visa application. I have now finished under the dome, which was great though i described it in the topic on steven king so won't repeat myself.

Last night we went back to the wolf sanctuary, which was loely albeit I was a trifle disappointed they didn't howl at the moon. My wife and I are thinking of sponsoring one of the wolves, which would be fun.

I also had my first experience of smores ver a campfire. Nice definitely but not something I'd want too often since yee gods, they're full of sugar. For those not in the states, smores involve roasted marshmallow, melted chocolate and things called gram crackers which to me tasted like digestive biscuits.

Rather nice, if extremely messy and not something I'd want too often since it's sugar city.

2016-07-18 05:23:47

Hi dark!
the conference went successful and we have discussed various issues like marriage and employment. also we looked at the work of NGOs in india such as AICB and NFB specially in the field of women.
various students shared their views and from our side Mr naresh kashyap covered that.
we want to know is their any audio game develop conference held ever in the world?
Thanks
Radio udaan team!

for more information please visit www.radioudaan.com
Radio udaan!
a flight of life!
India's online community radio station for visually impaired

2016-07-18 15:00:32

Hi Ru.

Interesting stuff and certainly something important to consider, indeed as you might guess I'm getting some personal experience of mariage from the western perspective right now big_smile.
As far as I know, no,there haven't  ever been any specific audio game development conferences. Remember most developers of audio games are fairly small companies, often one person working on their own or a small team of developers working on something experimental. Getting such people together for a conference would be difficult, indeed even the main conferences on game accessibility don't tend to consider purely audio games much and generally the most they do in the direction of game access reflects colour blindness, large print and the like.
Then again, the fat cat coorporations are probably never going to particularly care about game access anyway, since it doesn't increase the almighty prophet margin, and independent devs tend to be far nicer to deal with anyhow.

Well things are surprisingly cheerful today, particularly since I've started Justin Cronin's city of Mirrors, the just released final volume in his passage trilogy. I'd recommend  this series to anyone, certainly the best  zombie appocalypse I've ever read, though calling them that does them something of a disservice given that Cronin is far more concerned with what lead up to the appocalypse, and then the world 90 to 100 years later when most of the books are set, rather than the usual "society breaks down, zombies munchy munchy" focus most authors have.

BEautifully written, with amazing characterization and surprising twists, actually I intend to do a review of city of mirrors once I've finished assuming nobody beats me to it.

I've also started trying Alter again and am finding it huge amounts of fun. The swamp was so much easier as a druid mage than as a clerric warrior, I was able to do in the priestesss, warrior, thief etc relatively easily and the nasty necromancer went down like a tonne of bricks big_smile.
NExt is the tinker gnome colony which I remember being a bit of a pest to try and find all the quests in, though then again I was a little narked with Alter the last time I was there, so we'll try it this time and see how things go.

Unfortunately I've got some actual work to do today, which is a miner pest, but at least there isn't a lot left on my thesis to do and later we've got pizza big_smile.

2016-07-24 17:39:36

Hi dark sir!
whats up
I am going to start a band
I hope it will take few days but it will work
Thanks
Ishan

2016-07-24 17:52:49

Maybe an audio game development conference wouldn't be possible, but if people with experience in audio game development banded together then maybe one could have a panel on the topic of audio games. It probably wouldn't be one of the huge ones, but I'm sure there's an indie development conference somewhere, and maybe one day it will happen.

I've recently read Consider Phlebas by Ian M. Banks and I really quite enjoyed it. It's not like any other science fiction book I've ever read, and manages to have a main character who is an antihero that somehow you still want to root for, and some outright disturbing and yet highly interesting ideas.

Oh, and I finally got a European charger cable for my 2ds! So I'll finally be able to finish Pokemon Omega Ruby.

Prehistoric terror.
My github.

2016-07-24 21:10:09

@Dino, a panel is an interesting idea, though it'd still have to happen at some sort of event with an interest in audiogames, and we've not seen any of those thus far. Usually the most that happens with audiogames is that someone produces and publicises the "inivative new project of games with sound and how this will change things in the future", which  results usually in one or two very glitsy games with lots of prestige and coverage and usually extremely good sound effects, but not a long life. Such projects usually run out of steam until the next time.
It happened with sound voyager back on the gameboy advanced a few years ago, and with various other projects, most recently somethinelse and then a blind legend, and it'll probably happen again, but until audiogames  become a little better known I don't know how long it'll take for things to get off the ground outside the indi community, albeit said indi community has massively increased over the past few years and what has been made both in volume and inn concept has generally been a build on what's been there before.

In other matters, Consider Phlebas is good, though i disliked how incomplete and generally unsatisfying the ending was. That was sort of Bank's point of course, but it did make for an unsatisfying conclusion, plus I found the final third or so of the book a little draggy and lacking in direction, then again it was banks first sf novel and the first with The Culture.

Look to Windward, which is sort of a sequel (or at least it mentions some events), was a generally better book I thought, though also pretty grim, however my two favourite culture novels thus far have been player of games and Invertions, though Invertions is  a very different story being set entirely on a pre contact planet, it actually reads almost like a GEorge R R Martin style fantasy novel though we know that the "magic" is actually advanced technology in this case.

I need to read the rest of the culture books.

City of Mirrors is absolutely awesome! I can't believe the climax. It's odd, it breaks a lot of rules from deus ex machina too last minute escapes, and yet it works amazingly well, and I can't explain it,. My reading has been slightly interupted both by playing manamon, and with a really nice evening yesterday going to a theatre that also serves food where we watched Mary poppins.

The musical was actually fairly awesome, because it was a decidedly darker and distinctly more plot driven story than the disney film, albeit it did use the majority of the songs from the film though added some new ones. it even featured an evil nanny who Mary poppins had a duel with who had an amazingly nasty song about how she bought up children by force feeding them bad tasting medicine big_smile.

2016-07-25 04:13:34

Hi dark sir!
where do you find these novels?
I am also a fan of scifi and romantic novels
please guide me some website.
Thanks
Ishan

2016-07-27 03:25:32

Well several things to report. First and formost, my lady's spousal visa has indeed been granted, yay! this means she can indeed move to the Uk, which is good since the alternative was me emmigrating to the states which would've been problematic and rather complex, and goodness knows what I'd have done out here.

So I've been having a few days off recently which is good, mostly alternating playing manamon, reading and writing book reviews. City of mirrors was indeed good though I found the epilogue rather disappointing, not that it had a bad ending, just a bit too draggy and introducing imho an unnecessary new character only a couple of hours before the end.

Manamon is good but I'm finding the grinding to level different creatures, well rather dull considering I'd rather get on with the story itself, still I gather that is part of the game at least as far as it goes. Not a lot else to report other than yesterday we had the most amazing storm which my lady and I both enjoyed. i love seeing the lightning and hearing the thunder and the rain, we even went out and stood in it wearing, ----- mmm, not very much which was quite an experience.

Whoever tells you the magic fades after marriage is a moron big_smile.

2016-07-29 10:28:46 (edited by Dino 2016-07-29 10:29:22)

@Dark I actually worked on a (community theatre) production of Mary Poppins once- but it was the decidedly Disneyified version. It was pretty amazing to see, though, and the singers were all amazing. They kept putting on horrible British accents though, which was a bit annoying for me. I love musicals.

I also found the ending of Consider Phlebas infuriating and the last part of the book hard to follow. It felt like it was a book that could have had a really good direct sequel, but I guess having a whole series of books in the same universe makes up for that. I've picked up 'The Algebraist', so I'm looking forward to reading it. Maybe today...

I think the problem with the 'innovative sound games that will change things in the future' is that they only draw attention to themselves generally - the ones that get noticed can bask in the glory of being awesome and new but completely neglect (not purposefully, I think) to promote the genre of audiogames as a whole, or other developers.

Something that infuriates me a bit is that while there are some amazing audiogames and talented developers, it's still an incredibly niche genre that is, I think, largely seen as a gimmick. It definitely doesn't get enough attention!

Prehistoric terror.
My github.

2016-07-29 12:30:36

@Dino, I love musicals and sing myself, indeed that is how my lady and I met, her being a classical soprano and myself a classical tenor and both of us fans of musicals, we've regularly done duettes from phantom and did one hand one heart from westside story at our wedding. We both go to the Aims international music school which happens each spring for a weekend and for a week in summer, which is awesome, the only difficulty is finding directors that don't automatically think "bugger off we can't have blind people on stage" which is sadly far more common than it should be.

With games yes, unfortunately the spectacular sounding but short projects will always happen, however it's the solidly produced titles that work. Manamon impressed me for it's sounds and gameplay and the fact that someone has finally done something like this in audio, indeed I will say that over the 10 years I've been involved with audiogames things have expanded quite a deal, perhaps not as much as we would like but there is far more now and more by way of frequent releases than there used to be, at risk of sounding like an old fart "I can remember the days when we were lucky to get one game a month, and you young whippersnappers should get off my lawn!" big_smile.

ACtually considering that games I could play visually pretty much stopped after the 16 bit era (and stopped entirely after the 32 bit era), it's good that more is being produced, albeit I still do love my Snes.

Well I'm feeling slightly dead this morning which isn't good, though possibly being up until close to midnight playing manamon last night might have something to do with it big_smile.

I will see about a city of mirrors review this morning I also need to at least vaguely think about getting some work done on my thesis at least before I pick up manamon again. I'm also reading a collection of nebular award winning sf, and there were some pretty good ones, bloodmusic by greg bear which he later expanded into a novel.

I haven't read the algibreist, though the title rings a bell, is it also Banks?
Look to windward is at least sort of partly the direct sequel to consider phlebas(the title comes from the same quote),  or at least it mentions the Idiran war and deals with some consequences of it, though it doesn't involve horza or any of the other characters, I don't think Banks did that often, if at all.

I really didn't like the way that the book just sort of petered out and even Horza's reuniting with his ex wife or partner just didn't hapen, while Yalson and pretty much everyone else just got randomly killed off. While I get that Banks was trying to show that the hole "lone hero changing the course of the war" thing is a total falasy, at the same time he could've been at least a little less messy and left us with a better taste.

I'll say roughly half of his books have dark endings from what I've gathered, albeit not quite as entirely pointless as phlebas, against a dark background did at least resolve the main plot of the story.

I'm actually getting in a vaguely fantasy mood now. I am not sure if I want to reread some davideddings, who's an author I've not touched for about 15 years, (though i loved the belgariad as a teenager), or begin on feist who I understand is similarly fun but I've not really read before. I do rather want to redo eddings since I'm now myself married to an incredibly tiny lady who somewhat resembles a dryad, and I did used to have quite the crush on Ce'Nedra, ---- albeit in personality my lady is quite a long way from Ce'nedra, and for the reccord she really dislikes ce'nedra finding her quite a brat.

I also do need to read and review some stuff, so I'll have a think and see, that if I don't get too destracted by raising my manamon again big_smile.

2016-07-29 20:11:34

@Dark The Algebraist is another Banks story, yes.

I've read the first book of the Belgariad, but didn't enjoy it enough to put in the time to read the rest. I seem to be in the minority, though.

Prehistoric terror.
My github.

2016-07-30 14:12:10

@Dino The belgariad, for all the nostalgia value isn't imho as good as Edding's other series, the ellenium trilogy. While the fantasy is somewhat standard, the wit and character interactions are fun, or at least that is how many people describe eddings, albeit I haven't read anything by him for quite some time.
I actually started on Magician in case I found the belgariad not as I remembered.

I have read magician before, but it was over a very short and crowded weekend, and I really don't remember that much about the book at all, hence why I'm reading it, possibly going on to more feist afterwards.
I will say I'm glad I read magician before and recall the story picking up and getting a bit more involved, since currently while not completely a waste of time I'm finding things a trifle on the generic D&D side at the moment with characters who are a bit too shallow and a world that feels very familiar. Fortunately i do recall things changing when the war happened, so we'll see. 
I didn't actually play anymore manamon yesterday since I was feeling rather dead, and will hopefully get to today albeit today we're busy meeting one of my lady's friends and also going to see The Music Man at a local theatre, which should be good. It is a musical I've seen before and I remember it being rather fun.

2016-07-30 14:20:21

well today!
very sunny day in Dehradun at this time.
I am still waiting for my result they are delaying and just delaying
I am frustrating.
well as for as concern of playing I am playing godwill
and my hero just win in the erina by defeating a powerful hero
well tomorrow will be the last day of this month and the death anuversery of Muhammad rafi sahib as you all know.
Thanks
ishan

2016-07-30 18:02:18

(But daddy, I don't want to wait until Monday!)

Apparently it isn't exactly normal for one to return from training to find a new roommate having appeared in one's apartment without warning. They came down nearly a week early, so that probably has something to do with it.
I just finished both 1984 (Orwell) and The Eyes of the Dragon (Stephen King). I'm not sure what to say about either? I'm trying to start the Aeneid, and I picked up Roverandum off a shelf, saw it was by Tolkien, and then spent nearly two hours reading through the essay that comprises the first third of the book, since apparently they only expected Tolkien scholars to want to read a fairy tale about a lost dog who goes to the moon.
(Even though half the books are either religious or nationalist, it's still awesome to just have the ability to pick up random books off shelves and investigate, rather than fiddle with apps and whatever else, and honestly I discovered that I was very mistaken about how to spell a number of words just because I'd never seen them in braille before.)
(I do not feel like the training is going anywhere near that "confidence building" thing it's supposed to aim at. I guess I finally finished that blasted essay. Have I mentioned how poorly I get along with essays? Because I don't get along well with essays.)

(I also heard the sentence, spoken in what I believe to be complete sincerity, "I don't see how someone can complete the training here and not join the NFB." Perhaps I should go find a thorough introduction to the subject of mind projection and the typical mind fallacy and accidentally leave it on the couch.)

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2016-07-31 00:01:47

Does the centre have a large braille library? I have actually never been in a braille library where you could browse books, read them and return them, but I would like to. What do you have to write essays on?

2016-07-31 13:57:39

I've actualy seen a braille library before at the local society for the blind, but I tended to find that after feeling my way through x number of books mostly and manifestly aimed at the over sixties with no attempt at subject classification (all I saw were either cook books, romance, knitting patterns or crime)k, I sort of lost interest big_smile.

It sounds like the Nfb indoctrination is a little scary, particularly the way that those in the organization believe themselves to the point that they can't see why their own methodology won't work. I'll say this is one reason I tend to avoid special schools and most societies for the blind in general. My lady has freely never had anything to do with the Nfb, nor does she want to, indeed she regards them as somewhat elitist, and some of the tales of her nfb trained braille teacher who insisted on her using a slate at university are rather horrific, ---- particularly since she wasn't even allowed to use a standard perkins brailler, the teacher was a little slate obsessed.

Myself, essays never bother me in general, but then again I write book reviews for fun, poetry to relieve my feelings, audiogames.net entries just for gits and shiggles and my thesis supposedly to get some sort o qualification so writing is just something I'm comfortable with doing in general, indeed to say I've churned out two or three reviews in the past few days just because, I can legitimately say I enjoy the exercise.

Btw, my review of King's under the dome is now live, you can read it here The Uplift war and City of mirrors reviews should be on the way.

I didn't know tolkien did a translation of the inead, I always thought he was more a schollar of nordic than griek myth, indeed I've had friends who studdied medeival literature who say his essay on beerwolf is still the seminal work on the subject. Eyes of the dragon is fun, particularly as King's only stab at sort of semi traditional fantasy and a book his kids could read (though he still goes into oddly dirty bits occasionally), though i found it severely slow, and i recal waiting around for a long time for stuff to happen. I was also very disappointed that two of the characters in the ending who at one point it is implied Rowland meets in The Dark Tower never showed up again, King did intimate around Wizard and glass that he was considering them join Rowland and co, but he never did which is severely annoying since they were quite nice characters and also on a hunt for flag.
1984 is awesome, albeit my lady absolutely hates it for it's utter uggliness, not just in the government and the torture, but in the way that Winston Smith himself admits to being willing to do anything upto and including throwing acid in a child's face to bring down the government, and is in his own way as bad as the people he opposes. My lady actually really! hates the book, though in general while she does have a macabre sence of humour she is not into darkness for darkness sake, and she finds some literature contin a little too much pure suffering for her liking (one reason she and I disagree on game  Ice and fire, the series pisses her off with the naked suffering and in her view gratuatus deaths of good people, I however actually like it for the fact that nobody is safe and it contains so much shades of grey.

Sadly i still haven't got further with manamon. In general much as I like the game, when I consider sitting down to it I'm mildly put off by the grindery, particularly if I'm tired and have a headache or (as was the case the other day), was very busy, what with meeting some of my lady's friends and seeing the music man and finishing city of mirrors.

I might be able to play at some time today and get hooked again since undoubtedly the story is awesome and the combat is interesting when not just killing random things again and again to level your creatures to the point you can actually continue in the story, still I'll save that conversation for the manamon thread.

Music man was actually pretty good last night even though it wwas an ameter company. The last production of it I saw the cast were all old and lacking in energy, this one was rather different, although sadly the main girl, marian who sings two songs my lady and I love, then there was you and goodnight my someone, was pretty dire. not only failing to hit several notes cleanly, but absolutely zero magic or on stage presence at all. Not a bad actress, but someone who I got the distinct impression thought she was far better than she actually was, the little boy character Winthrop also needed shooting! (being a child is no excuse for inflicting flat singing on an audience). ACtually i always think this when I see a production of A christmas Carol, since Tiny Tim is inevitably a cute child with absolutely zero! ability to sing which is supposed to be adorable but only serves to make me agree with the pre ghost scrooge's "If he's going to die he better do it!", just to save us from his abysmal singing! big_smile.

Fortunately in the music man several other cast members were pretty good. The school board who form a barber's shop quartet had an absolutely awesome base, The arsy and rather dim town mayor doesn't actually sing but was a hilarious actor, and his wife, (a friend of my lady's sister), was hilariously mad. The guy who played Harry Hill, the titula music man, a con man who goes from town to town convincing people there is a problem and setting up boy's marching bands before pocketing the cash was actually pretty dam awesome, I particularly liked his patter songs.

of course when my lady and I see something like this it really! makes us both have a massive desire to start performing, assuming we can find a director who won't be a scuzbag about the hole disability thing, which is sadly a rather large if.

2016-07-31 14:25:48

I wouldn't say LCB's library is large, but it's the largest braille library I've been in, so I dunno. There are also bookshelves in just about every room with sufficient wallspace. However, the organization is all but nonexistent. Most of the time you'll find multi-volume books in the same spot, but sometimes even those get mixed up. (I keep feeling an itch to just organize every chaotic shelf I find, but I don't like people "organizing" my stuff, so it feels kinda wrong to try.)
Since rooms other than the library have books, there is at least a little organization: the dining room has all the cookbooks, most of the fiction I've found has been in the braille room (but the library has books on every wall from floor to ceiling, some blocked by furniture, so I haven't looked too thoroughly. That's also where I found Eyes of the Dragon and the Aeneid, so it's not just a theology room disguised as a library.) The "activity center" (read: half laundry room, half room with lots of chairs) at the apartments seems to be dominated by the Bible and a dictionary, and those are completely and hopelessly disorganized.

I've heard good things about the Dark Tower series, but haven't felt too motivated to look into it until recently. I'll probably try to get a hold of the graphic audios for Mistborn, though I kinda trust both the negative and positive reviews I've heard so amn't quite sure how that will go.

I kinda find A Song of Ice and Fire too terrifying to pick up, given all I've heard, and since I'm pretty sure GRR Martin is probably better at gut-punching despair than Wildbow, and Worm was stressful enough and I did just finish reading 1984 yikes.
I do find I'm far too reluctant to let any characters go in anything I write, or even sustain serious injuries or losses. I've been trying to get better about it, but every time I almost imply someone died, I find an excuse to keep them around sad. By episode 19 of this awful thing (Dark please don't read it it's the exact sort of awful you've complained about before), I was trying to correct this, but I suppose that episode 19 opens with a character I'd intended to die reappearing, so even that didn't work out so well. Sigh.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2016-07-31 21:52:58 (edited by jjgeek 2016-07-31 22:32:22)

@Dark: Congrats on your marriage! If we're talking about the same place, I used to live in Hershey in Pennsylvania. Lots of fond memories of those days too.

As far as what I've been up to lately...Well, I took a one-day trip with some colleagues out to California in May. It was too short for me, but fun nonetheless. I've actually been debating quitting the part of my job where I go out into the field, so to speak. Long story short, I'm not a very good independent traveler and everybody wants me to see about maximizing that. Well almost everybody. Although, I *think* I just might have reached a compromise with my mother regarding this whole issue of going more places independently. This has to do in part with ADA paratransit, and I posted about that elsewhere on here so I won't repeat what I said. Speaking of my parents, I spent the night at their place. Today marks one year since they moved in, and the place is looking nice. They've had some work done to it, and are currently having some landscaping done. The workers are very behind, but my mother says they're scheduled to come tomorrow, so hopefully that'll actually happen.

Speaking of construction, the building where I live is doing great. The ground-floor renovation is all complete, and the workmen did an outstanding job. Now their task is to do stuff out in our backyard, which they've already started. One of my downstairs neighbors is moving out tomorrow. Not because of anything bad, but she just wants a bigger apartment and we're otherwise booked. But it was great having her with us, and this evening we're throwing her a send-off. She's not going far though so fortunately we'll still see her around.

2016-07-31 22:11:51

Re the NFB, I believe I've mentioned this before on here but while they have done and are still doing? some good things I just think they're a bit too heavy-handed. It also seems to me that there is a double standard in the organization. Take for instance the resolution which was passed at this years National convention, which in a nutshell condemns Apple's software and hardware? testing. Yet when the iPhone first came out with VoiceOver the NFB was all praises. So which is it? Are they mad at Apple or not? I vaguely recall a similar thing happening between the NFB and Microsoft. I'm also one who doesn't like their attitude of "my way or the highway."