2016-05-18 16:23:42

I have been quite entertained reading the posts of this topic.  I wouldn't worry about straying off-subject at times, haha.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2016-05-19 09:14:43

Well, my first game, is a cube.
Just press space and score as meny points as you like.
Stupid, agree?

2016-05-27 17:31:35

The first actual game I made was Term Paper. It's not an audio game, and it's not very long either. Actually, I have to remake the game and fix a lot of bugs like sounds and menu options like, 1341 or something, back to the previous level, and back to school. I made the mistake of deleting my source code for the game. The second Term Paper, the Revenge of School I think is a lot better. The real reason I made these games was because I actually got my first real term paper at school and I hated it a lot. Of course I did the paper and didn't defeat my English teacher. I actually got a descent grade on the paper as well. I think I'm going to either learn BGT and make some audio games, or learn Text Game Maker 0.9781 and make games that are almost as long as Morokuma's text games. I had been playing a lot of his games and just thought to myself one day, I want to try to make text games like him. So I took the example source for Dungeon Quest and after studying Japanese for a long time, I started the source for Term Paper. Now the hardest part of text game creation isn't the source code, it's either the sounds or music. Music is hardest, then sounds, then source code, then thinking of what the game will be about. That's actually why we haven't sceen any Term Paper or Term Paper 2 updates, because I've been working on a game. And trust me, this game will be much longer than the Term Paper games. It won't be something like after going through this place you beat the final boss and it ends, there will be more. It will probably be out maybe next year or sooner.

Barren Byron used Nature Overdrive!

2016-07-23 20:05:50

PHOENIX DOWN!

Aprone wrote:

Well Figment, I will agree that you were lucky.  Half-jokingly I tell family and friends that my time making audio games is an investment.  I work on a lot of relatively dangerous projects (dangerous because I never wear safety gear or glasses when I should), so when I finally do something stupid and blind myself, I'll have a good idea of how to go forward.  I'm also ensuring that I'll have several games I can play, that are the types of games I personally enjoy.  big_smile
Had you ever given any thought to accessible games before the glaucoma caught up with you?  I'd wager the vast majority of developers don't even think about accessibility existing unless some outside source brings it to their attention.  Myself included!

I didn't really think about accessibility even after my vision became effectively 0 for quite a while! I noticed when games were more or less playable, but any ideas I got that made things more accessible came from mainstream games more than anything. That is, the few that had talking (or sometimes-talking) menus/prompts, different approaches to target-locking and so forth. I didn't really bother making my Powerpoint games all that Jaws-friendly, and just memorized where the things I needed to click on were in tab order. (Then I got stuck with Powerpoint 97 and had to add static text to clickable things so I could test it. That one did not get very far.) When my Javascript games stopped being so text-based, there was still a period where I used text as the graphics. For one game, I stacked several 50char buttons (because the obvious alternatives were more complicated or anathema, according to me from 10 years ago), updated their values to an ascii representation of the map, and changed the background colors whenever it seemed appropriate.
It was when I started trying to do actual graphics instead of ascii art when things got frustrating. I started throwing assortments of information into the status bar and pretended it wasn't weird if these included coordinates instead of just stats, in one case.
Around fall 2006, I did make a game whose premise was navigating a randomly generated area using ambience and a cane. I didn't think of it as an accessibility thing so much as a gimmick, so didn't really learn anything from it, other than I tend to screw up positioning calculations for dynamic ambience, and that it's possible to get infinite momentum and go splat if one tries to use timestamps to make a turn-based game seem like a realtime game.
I tried throwing in SAPI around 2007 or so, but it felt kinda pointless and annoying (IE6 and Java are kinda terrible with SAPI). This kinda sounds like thinking about accessibility, but it doesn't feel like it from the inside, hahaha. I didn't really start paying attention to accessibility until 2008, which is right around the time I gave up on trying to do all the cool stuff I'd been building toward and made the DBGU engine and all that other half-baked stuff that is all I've released here. ... I dunno, IE6 felt like a much easier gaming platform to develop for tongue. The things that made this true are also the things that make most of my pre-2008 games unplayable in modern browsers. (And also make modern browsers annoying by comparison, in terms of audio. Does everyone and their grandma play with their own servers in fourth grade except me? <embed> was easy, blast it. sad )

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2016-07-28 08:57:44

Okay, my first game wasn't really a game. Back in around 1992 (not sure about this because the relevant operating system has absolutely no facility whatsoever for storing timestamps on files) I wrote a silly program in Applesoft Basic. It wasn't so much a game as it was a demonstration of random numbers. The scenario was that there were these objects in space called sateymoohts, don't ask, it's a long, complicated, and meaningless story. Anyway, all of them were launched by Sateymooht Systems, inc. This was apparently this mega company. They were sort of like satellites. The main character of this game was trying to use specialized equipment to destroy all the sateymoohts before the people at Sateymooht Systems caught up with him and arrested him. Each time he would send his special signal, several things could happen, only a few of which were desirable. Everything was controlled by the rnd function of Applesoft Basic, and once you started the program, you just sat back and watched the fireworks. In this respect, it wasn't a game at all, but of course in the mind of the fictional main character, it sort of was. This program had extra bits and pieces added to it over time, with absolutely no thought given to strategy, the fairness of the new additions, etc. Work probably stopped in late 1993.

Although I hate to admit it, the game does still exist in multiple places. Only one copy of the completed game was extant until mid 2000, when I got new Apple equipment and imaged that disk. No earlier versions survive.

Now if you want to know about my first BGT game, here goes. Again, a stupid idea, but at least there is some interactivity. Your character is at the left end of a fifty-square playing field. Each step he takes right or left is counted, and so is each time he bumps into the left or right wall. Naturally, all these things play their own weird sounds. The objective is to take 100 steps successfully before hitting either wall I think it's five times. The game does still exist, and has even been posted a few places and given to a few friends as a coding example.

2016-07-29 12:43:21 (edited by kianoosh 2016-07-29 12:45:03)

hi all. Well. My first main game, that I really worked and working on it is lucky kop. A cide scroler and platformer game rightten by bgt
I even have a download link for it. It can be downloaded from:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/82qygkjlgj5vd … e.rar?dl=0
But, my first first first game I made Was something, that only playes walking sound. I did that for someone with help of him I think. I can't remember as well. Then, I learned to use int x; int y;, And I made something that allowes you to move in a map. Wall sound was only playing. Actually there was not any walls.
I tryed these kind of games a few times, Untill I pirfer's to make a real game And work on it untill it ends, And that's called lucky kop. I'm Working on it about a few months A go. I had some friends that they helped me in this game a lot.
That is my glory to having these friends, thank them all from here!
big_smile
Bye all

---
Co-founder of Sonorous Arts.
Check out Sonorous Arts on github: https://github.com/sonorous-arts/
my Discord: kianoosh.shakeri2#2988

2016-07-29 19:24:48

When I was a kid, I really liked using a simplified programming tool called Scratch. I honestly don't remember what the first one I made was, but my first projects were almost like animated storybooks. Those weren't real games, though, but later on I did do a few projects that were.

If only I could remember what the first one was!

Prehistoric terror.
My github.