2008-07-10 07:01:34

DriveThru RPG just sent me an email with some new information. After the one I got recently about them allowing (sadly only temporary) free download of the World of Darkness core book I thought I had best take a look...

The 3 core books for D&D 4E as it's called, I presume meaning fourth edition, are all available in PDF. Player's, Dungeon Master's handbooks and Monster Manual. They are listed as "Watermarked PDF" and "original electronic format" which means we should (barring weirdnesses) be able to get something from it as I have done with PDFs from White Wolf, Fan Pro/Catalyst and Red Brick. It also means there is none of this tieing it to a specific computer with digital rights management.

So what does this mean for us? Well ever fancy actually reading the D&D rule books? It might be wonkified since it isn't designed for screen reader use, but my past experiences with RPG PDFs is I can usually decipher them.

Disclaimer: I do not own any of these books so far, and it might be a little while before I do. I do think this is good news though, but I know there will probably be controversy over which edition of D&D is the better.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-07-14 20:06:40

thanks Cx2, I'll have to look into that. I've read a lot of the 2nd ed books in word format, and played 3rd ed a long while ago.

i'll have a chat with Dolphin tomorrow about pdf convertion and see if I can find something that does a less wonky job than normal adoby seems to (you always get pages squished together for some odd reason).

depending upon readability, a couple of my friends have suggested I try running a game, of something, which i might do over skype, it will all depend upon if I can read the things and get my head around the rules system.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-04-15 08:18:02

Apologies for resurrecting an old topic, but I have a relevant update to this. Apparently Wizards of the Coast has decided to cease selling all digital download products. No clue why, but there we have it. D&D is no longer available in an accessible format. I only had chance to grab the player's handbook myself, and I wasn't too thrilled with the level of referring back to the books that would be necessary. It is still a shame though, all the same.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-04-15 09:53:50

typical, ---- though I'm not the least bit surprised.

Back when i started playing D&D, I'd only read the 2nd ed handbooks which I'd got as word documents on a Cd rom.

Sinse the group I was with were playing 3rd Ed, I actually wrote to wizards asking about access, explaining that I suffered from eyeball deficiency syndrome so reading the usual printed books wasn't a good idea.

Their entire reply read "We currently have no plans to release electronic versions of our rule books.

Thank you for your enquiry"

Charming indeed!

Assuming you had the rules though, how seriously they get taken, and how often players get asked to actually do any rolling depends entirely upon the gm.

Our Mutans and Masterminds Gm is a bit of a stickler for rules, ---- especially in combat, and he specifically goes out of his way to stat uba powerful enemy's of doom who it's nearly impossible for us to take down, ---- in fact his version of super villainy seems all villains and no henchmen!

On the other hand, other Gm's I've played with only use rules as a guide line, and basically only roll dice when a situation arises who's outcome is in doubt and thus requires a role.

Just because in D&D you could role for everything up to and including what the players have for breakfast, doesn't mean you actually have to do it, ---- and personally I've actually had more fun in games with less rolling and more decision making.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-04-15 14:25:57

This all is part of how specific the rules are too though. The D&D PHB tried listing everything you can do with a skill, such as moving along a ledge, and all the possible modifiers. They're trying to codify everything so you don't have to think for yourself, but it means a long trawl since it's hard to find stuff quickly in their layout with a screen reader.

On the other hand lots of other games, World of Darkness and Shadowrun for two examples, have some relevant rules and then say "use whatever makes sense". So yes you get rules for climbing and jumping for example, but they don't include how to deal with things like the ledge example.

I admit I'm disappointed in what seemed like progress, but equally I'm not hugely shocked myself. I'm just surprised I didn't get more warning, but then I did get a newsletter I haven't got to reading from DTRPG and it was probably in there.

cx2
-----

2009-04-15 16:17:55 (edited by Ravager 2009-04-15 16:25:28)

You know, I am truely surprised that they don't make/release  the D&D books in an accessible format. I mean, with a visually impaired person, something like that would be a "perfect" game, right? "Watermarking" things or digitally signing isn't too hard, and everything that comes out starts out as some sort of text document, with a digital signature already (so they know who leaks something if it gets leaked pre-release).

Although, it is Wizards of the Coast, which like Games-Workshop is a major corperation, and why should they cater to the minority of the gaming world? sad

*edit*

Dark, for transferring things from PDF, have you tried just (in Adobe) going File>Save a copy as or File>convert to text (or whatever it's called)? That is what I usually do, and you don't have to have any special tools installed. When I do that, it'll save as a .txt in notepad/wordpad, adn all you *should* have to do is turn on word wrap. A little cleanup might be necessary, but for the most part, I find that it works. There is also Text Aloud (which costs like $30 here in the US) and what that does is it can open a PDF directly (among a couple of other file types), and you can use that to transfer it to a text document, or even turn it into a spoken audio document. I also use that here and there for things and it's not too bad(the voices that are supplied if you do want to turn things into audio aren't too borrible either).

Visit my site at VI Tek Talk.
A discussion forum for cross platform, cross device adaptive tech as well as adaptive tech insociety and different cultures.

2009-04-15 17:24:06

Well I'm sort of surprised they started making this in an accessible format, and then suddenly stopped selling it. This makes them once again the only major RPG company as far as I know that doesn't sell in ebooks. With the number of books about even sighted people are finding it easier to carry a laptop, or more recently a netbook, with the relevant books on. What would you rather carry, a netbook which you can also keep notes on or a big collection of 5 or more printed books?

That said most other companies aren't too bad about releasing ebooks. The second biggest RPG company, White Wolf, do so pretty reliably.

cx2
-----

2009-04-17 08:57:29

My brother in fact has a netbook expressly for this purpose, ---- though admittedly part of that is for the magnification.

I've been recently attempting to suggest to the rnib here in England that dice rp would be a fantastic thing to provide rsources for, sinse it's something which persons of reduced visability can do without any hastle, ---- but sinse this is the rnib we're talking about, and they only give minimal considderation to anyone under the age of 70, nothing has come of this yet.

Thanks for the advice on pdfs ravager, ---- I actually convert to text pretty often (occasionally I've done it with academic gernal articals).

It works absolutely fine I've found with things that are streight text, but tends to break down rather at things with a huge amount of tables, ---- which unfortunately counts most roleplay books.

This is why on the Chronicles of Arborell, there's a rich text version of the Book of Haer'al, though everything else is provided as streight pdfs, ---- sinse all those language tables come out rather wonkey if you do a streight conversion from text with acrobat.

Unfortunately, as I found to my cost when I attempted to convert the Mutants and masterminds books, rp handbooks are pretty heavy on the tables unfortunately.