2016-07-12 00:22:57

Hey guys. I wonder if anyone could recommend a good bit torrent client that is easy to install and that contains minimal to no ads. I recently tryed u torrent, but it seemed bloated and not very intuitive. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2016-07-12 01:26:07

Really? I used μTorrent about a year ago to download all the CBS Radio Mystery Theater episodes. There were no ads that I can recall and I found it pretty easy to use.

Full disclosure: I first used μTorrent before I lost my vision, that may have helped. I say may have because it had been several years earlier that I used it and I'm sure I forgot more than I remembered.

2016-07-12 02:25:07

There certainly is a possibility i grabbed a different client or something, i'll look again. thanks figment.

2016-07-12 03:04:10

@arqmiester. I haven't found utorent accessible with any screen-reader as of yet. But I can recommend piratebay, however beaware of viruses that are uploaded to the site. The majority of the files do not contain viruses but just in case I would advise using anti-virus software

Pics or it didn’t happen

2016-07-12 07:39:08

Hello there
Utorrent is actually the most worse client in terms of torrent clients you could try. Its well known for installing addware on to your computer and as if that were not enough, a few months ago it even used your CPU to mine bitcoins.
Many private trackers actually disallow UTorrent to be used  with their torrents
I have no clue if Bitcomet has any adds or not but that's the client I use and it works reasonably well. Just be careful during installation and uncheck all those boxes for setting your homepage installing crome and so on and you'll be fine.

At the person who said Utorrent isn't accessible with any screenreaders, I wonder which screenreaders you tryed it with and include in "any" because as horrible as that client is, last I used it It was accessible enough to do basic stuff.
But again, I for one wouldn't suggest using Utorrent.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2016-07-12 10:33:48

I've only found 2 almost complete accessible torrent clients. One is utorrent, the other one, all though not strictly a torrent client, is free download manager. You can download torrents with free download manager, but that's about it. You can't easyly change priority of files over others, can't stream movies ahead of time like you can in utorrent, and it just has torrent support as an extra. So your best bet might to be to install utorrent. Make sure you disable internet access while installing utorrent, because if you don't you'll get open candy adds, which to date I found impossible to decline with nvda. If you turn off your wifi or remove your ethernet cable the utorrent installer will skip those adds in the installer. Once you have utorrent installed, you can find instructions how to disable adds in the interface on lifehacker somewhere.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2016-07-12 15:08:02 (edited by Figment 2016-07-12 15:15:08)

Wow, are we even talking about the same client? I've always used µTorrent whenever I needed to download a torrent, and have never had any problems with ads, adware, or anything else. And while some parts of it aren't accessible, they are usually seldom used, so they aren't missed.

2016-07-12 15:15:56

Have you tried Bit Torrent client? This app seems better than utorrent.

2016-07-12 19:39:23

@grryfindor I used nvda to test UTorent. Innitialy, When installing UTorent, I ran into some error. But when I got it to work, it didn't respond to any keystrokes with nvda

Pics or it didn’t happen

2016-07-12 20:22:17

It seems my experiences mirror the rest of you. U torrent is an adware minefield i'll try bit torrent client or bitcommet, thanks guys.

2016-07-13 06:08:20 (edited by grryfindore 2016-07-13 06:10:07)

Ahoy there
Looks like I need to give FDM a go. really surprising that it allows torrent downloads and imo for being free it does sound really good.

I wonder why do people   use payed downloaders such as IDM if FDM is so good?
Or at least,it sounds really good. I'll download it and give it a run.
grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2016-07-13 11:43:01

fdm is actually very good, you can do a lot of things with it. I suggest that you install u torrent version 2.2, that's accessible with nvda and has no ads. I've used this version for some time now and it works just fine for my needs.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King