2016-07-07 23:30:43

hi guys. before i start, this is not mean to crittisise the moderators for how they are doing their work with the database but i think this need to be posted. now to the reason why i created this topic. i want to talk about the database. from what' i'm reading all moderators and members are saying that our base have over 500 games in it. the problem is. over 50% of those games have broken links or are abandend from their own devs. the moderators are saying that we have over 500 entries but many of them have broken links or the game doesn't exists longer.
how can we have 550 games if all those games doesn't exists or the link is broken?
the database needs a bigg clean and entries have to be removed. we can't say that we have 550 games if over 25% of those games doesn't work or the progects are abandend by the developers. i hope the moderatorsm understand the fact that the database is too spammy with entries that doesn't work, the links are too much to report. if you want, i can make a list ove3r broken links in the db but it's hard since most links are broken. so i hope something can be done about the database. the moderator need to take a look at all the entries and remove many of them.

2016-07-08 00:21:26

@nibar,
for my part, I'll simply say that keeping some of those entries around has served me well, since, as you have said, some of them are abandonware and no longer have support provided for them... Sometimes it's necessary to update the entries with that kind of information and to keep them around more for historical purposes or for posterity's sake, since the forum does grow over the years and people will hear about this or that game; it's nice to be able to read about it even if the game is no longer available.  For the life of me I still don't know what Grizzly Gulch is, but people mention it regularly, thus my need to go back and read its entry to collect as much info about it as I can to hold educated conversations concerning that particular game.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2016-07-08 01:15:19

hi, i understand you but saying that you have 550 entries in the db when around 50% of the db's entries is abandend or the link is broken is what's noying me allot. why not create a separatte base with all entries that are abandend?
i think our database should only hold games that are working because if the entry in the database is broken, it's not a game longer because you can'tt get it,
feel free to say your opinion about this guys, i just want to discuss this

2016-07-08 02:03:55

@Nibar, we've had this debate before.
First, I think your exaggerating with "over fifty percent" of the games having broken links, but certainly if they're a developer that is still going such as draconis, feel free to report them, since if we don't wknow we can't fix them (I fixed links in Sarah's entry just recently for example), and sometimes links can change just because a developer has updated their site, or because someone who previously hosted games has changed their mind (bladestorm360 for example hosted several games onhis site for quite some time which are now not available). This is also why it helps when people who are hosting abandonware games actually host them perminantly and provide links rather than just going "here's the game on dropbox" and just passing it to their friends.

This is also why we add links to the game's webpages, since often the developer's own site will host the files even if the direct download link on audiogames.net isn't working, I recall this happening with several of draconis games at one time, their own site was fine, but the individual setup files to their games had moved.

Secondly, in some cases like Bsc,  Code factory and bavisoft, yes we do keep the games around for historical purposes, and because on occasion games have been released as abandonware later on, that happened with DanZ's games, actually I would love to see Bsc's titles released as abandonware so everyone can enjoy them at some point and part of the reason I keep the pages up with the arning is in hopes the developer will do that in the future.

In other cases games may simply be temporarily unavailable, but might be available later due to site hosting issues on the part of the developer, for instance Superliam was not working for quite some time, but now it is.

Lastly however, I will point out it's quite legitimate for us to say "555 games in the database"
This is an informational site. we do not make or maintain the games, we are not  responsable for hosting them, and what developer's do isn't under our control, we can just write about what we find, and if something changes, well that's not exactly our fault, ---- we'll do our best to fix things of course (especially if people let us know what the problem is), but ultimately we're only human.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-07-08 13:07:48

Hi all
I think you have to leave entries games such as the of bsc games, code factory or babysoft, Because I think it is important to make clear his legacy and historical importance.
@dark and nocturus, I reported this a while ago some links that are down but because the developer changed the direction of the download link.
these are all games kitchensInc and games Morokuma
I remember that there are other fallen bonds but are still working on official sites, but now I not remember that otthers games is this situation as well.
greetings and thanks.

sorry my english, is not my native language.

2016-07-08 18:42:32

@Fabi youch! I thought I fixed Kitchinsinc games recently, I'll go and do those again, (something of a pain but a job that needs doing).
i'll also let Aaron know the japanese games need links fixing, since I don't have the links for those but I believe he does.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-07-08 23:52:27

Hi again
that is great dark.
Thanks you.
greetings.

2016-07-09 01:38:45

Okay, all of Jim Kitchin's games are now fixed, wooo! that was quite a job, but i'm glad it's done since I don't like the thought of people not getting to play Jim's games.

2016-07-09 09:59:09

Hi
at niber I think if a developer wants to discontinue the game like the code factory babysoft and BSC did.
without even informing Babysoft closed its doors
so audiogames.net and moderators are not responsible for that.
however I agree with you that the game like three d velocity as we all know that is discontinue by Munawar.
Should be removed and I think Mister dark should change its license.
Thanks
Ishan

life's battle do not always go to the stronger and faster man,
But sooner or later who win the one who thinks he can!

2016-07-09 17:40:45

License to tdv changed along with a note on unknown status, I also did this for Solara as well.

2016-07-09 17:45:55

You could probably delete the dmnb page, or at least put a disclamer that it's no longer active. But there's no point in keeping it around in my opinion, because it was discontinued long time ago.

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2016-07-09 18:09:53

Shame, I rather liked the game, but I'll change the license to unknown and put a note on the page.

2016-07-09 18:20:23

thanks for that.
Well I have a permanent link of time adventures
if you want to have that link or just in the data base please write it here
Thanks
Ishan

life's battle do not always go to the stronger and faster man,
But sooner or later who win the one who thinks he can!

2016-07-09 19:27:02

The problem with the code factory games, and indeed the bavisoft ones is they've not officially been released as abandonware so we can't really link to anyone who hosts them in case the site got in trouble, indeed a couple of years ago I did hear a rumour the code factory games were still on sale somewhere, though whether this is still the case I don't knoww exactly.

It's actually a shame when developers vanish not! giving their stuff as abandonware, but there's not a lot that can be done about it officially.

2016-07-10 00:57:52

Hi
thanks dark.
greetings.