2016-06-26 18:12:10 (edited by Jesper 2016-06-26 18:13:29)

Hey everyone, I'm looking to buy a kind of high end Windows laptop.
To give you an idea, I want something with the folowing specks.
Intel core I7 2.5 GHZ
256 GB SSD
16 GB RAM
A battery that will last me something like 5 hours.
Do you guys have any recommendations? If so,Thanks in advance.

Follow me on twitter.
@JAAAAAAY101

2016-06-26 21:35:16

My first instinct is to suggest Lenovo, but let's clear a few questions...

What do you plan to do with your system? (gaming, audio production, or simple average everyday use?)
What's your budget?
Do you want a smaller form factor or does it not matter?
DO you like small, compact keyboards, or do you want a full-sized layout? (numpad, extra insert key, etc).

These questions will help narrow down what would be good for your particular interests.

Luke

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2016-06-27 00:02:13

Hi.
Well, I see what you are looking for, let me give you a suggestion.
I had the same problem a while back, I had too models in mind.
One is the acer predator laptop, the one I chose at the end is an asus rog g752 VT, at leased that's thedesignation in germany, it might differ fro the english one.
This model has an intel core i7 6700 processor, 16GB of DDR4 ram, an nVidia gForce GTX 970M with 3 GB DDR5 vRam, a 256 gb SSD and an 2 TB HDD, about 7000 RPM.
If you are looking for something like this, you have to count in about 1800 to 2000 dollars for the pricing.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2016-06-27 11:02:27

@leibylucwgamer
I kinda want a laptop on the smaller side, 14 inch or below. I plan to do some heavy stuf with it like run 2 VM's at the same time and in general running some heavy programs nekst to each other.
I'm also planning to use it for school related things so it does need to be portable and I also prefer a good battery. Numpad doesn't need to be there and I would be okay with a smaller keyboard.

@simba I like the specks on that, but it's too big for my liking. Thanks for your input though.

Follow me on twitter.
@JAAAAAAY101

2016-06-27 15:40:02

After some snooping, assuming your budget is at least somewhere in the ballpark of $2,000, I'd recommend the Lenovo Thinkpad T460 Ultrabook.  It's a 14 inch screen with the following specs:

Intel Core i7-6600U Processor (4MB Cache, up to 3.40GHz)
Intel HD Graphics 520
16GB PC3-12800 DDR3L (1 SoDIMM)256 GB Solid State Drive, Serial ATA3 OPAL2.0 - Capable

This machine will run you $1,400 (so ignore that top number for my estimate of your budget).

The Yoga 913 model is another suggestion I would give -- it offers just about the same specs for a little cheaper.  It has a 13.3 inch screen.

HTH

Luke

2016-06-27 19:18:19 (edited by sightlessHorseman 2016-06-27 19:19:55)

Hi.
Well, I wouldn't take the thinkpad for some reasons.
First, it's just has a U processor, so it's just a dual core and not a quad core like the HQ or HK processors.
Also, 16 gb of ram might sound good, but keep in mind that it is just a DDR3 Ram, so it's way slower than the ones with DDR4 ram.
Also, depending on the programs he need's to run, an dedicated graphics card would be good, the intel hd graphics will not make him happy.
The thing is that you can't get maximum specs in an for example 14 inch case, the components need to be cooled somehow, and when you have a laptop with top parts keeping it alive, a big part of the laptop is an optimal cooling system.
The asus laptop also exists in a 15 inch version, I think the predator too, maybe these are more to your liking.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2016-06-27 19:33:43

In terms of price, I think the figure on the Thinkpad isn't bad by any means.  There's a sacrifice of 4 cores to the processor, but a 6600U dual-core processor still packs a heavy punch.  Regarding the graphics, from he's described, he won't need a dedicated graphics card.  Unless he's running high-intensive applications that operate primarily from high-resolution graphics, I don't think spending the extra money for a dedicated card is worth it.  The on-board preconfigured card should be enough for what he's doing (running other operating systems and some programs for school).

The smaller form factors obviously can't handle as much hardware without trading off prices.  I'm not sure what he's willing to spend, but bearing all in mind, I couldn't find a 14-inch or smaller computer with high-end specs.  Perhaps an inch difference can make little to no difference in terms of battery life and portability, but all of these factors rest on his preferences.
big_smile

Luke

2016-06-28 08:34:30

@Simba why did you end up going with the Asus ROG G752 in the end and not the predditor model? Also does your laptop in the 15 inch version have the same specks as the 17 inch one?

@Luke I've used the Yoga laptops before and well... I don't really have a good experience with those when it comes to built quality. The rubber things at the bottom just randomly come off and I want to use it for more then 2 years, if you know what I mean. And yes i'd say i'm willing to spend somewhere in the range of $2000

Follow me on twitter.
@JAAAAAAY101

2016-06-28 13:44:39

I would suggest going with Asus with the Lenovo lines don't suit your taste.  I haven't had any personal experience with Lenovo, but remember, the rubber feet at the bottom are but a miniscule part of the machine -- I'm sure you could replace those for cheap.
big_smile

Assuming you have about $2,000 to spend, I would recommend something either bigger from Lenovo in terms of screen size (15 inch) or something from Asus like SImba was talking about.

Luke