2016-06-25 18:16:00

Hey all:

I'm personally interested in doing this, but I'm merely curious how people upgrade or just simply replace the SSD's in MacBook models.

Eventually, I'll wind up selling my MBP2015 (in say 5 years), and would most likely replace the current drive with a fresh one.

How do people do it?

Just curious!
big_smile

Thanks,

Luke

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2016-06-26 09:06:08

Sorry for disappointment, but the new mac products from Apple don't support replacing hard drives. I believe the 2012 pro was the last to actually support this, due to the amount of access you get when opening  the computer itself.
So what you do depends on the mottle your using. but majorly consists of buying the correct screw drivers, usually torx t6, and a philupshead, to open the computer and take out the hard drive. Then you replace the stuff you need, even if this isn't just the drive. It could also be ram. Just use google, and I promise you'll find information.

2016-06-26 14:48:08

Ahoy there
Googling for replace ssd on a 2015 macbook pro does bring up some results by one of those companys that manufacture rams and hdd/ssds owc or some such. But I don't think such a thing is easyly done and that too by a inexperienced person. But I would have no clue as I haven't done much research on it.
grryf.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, β€˜It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2016-06-26 15:34:33

I'm afraid when that sad time comes I'll have to take it to a third-party company that specializes in it.  To my knowledge, people are doing it with older models, but I never assumed it was because Apple supported upgrades.

This will eventually bring me to another questionafter conducting some research, but I'm wondering if I will indeed need to replace the SSD in my machine.  The lifetime of an SSD should last significantly longer than an HDD, so I'm going to guess it should be okay to resell it as is in due time.

Thanks,

Luke

2016-06-26 17:50:03

It should be fine, as long as you let the buyer know ahead of time how old the computer is. Most of the time, people will take that in to consideration when buying a computer of that age.  And if something happens, you're not to blame  for the most part

2016-06-26 18:13:58

Noted.

Regardless of the internal drive, the computer is top of the line concerning CPU and RAM.  I think a 2.8GHZ quadcore Intel core I7 with 16GB of RAM ought to attract a buyer, even if it means they have to invest in a new drive, which shouldn't be the case anyways.

Thanks,

Luke