2016-06-22 01:04:38

Hi , so I am trying to install Debian in VM Ware. I have been trying to get speech working on it for a while now, but I am still pretty new to Linux. I am using Debian because of the talking installer, that way I don't need any sighted assistance to install the OS.

So I have gone through the installer quite a few times and messed with the settings, but every time once I load the OS I get no speech or start up sound if there is supposed to be. I have spent a lot of time trying to figure this out, but I finally just decided to post this and hope that someone can help.

I would prefer to go with no desktop environment, mainly because I am trying to build a server and most of my experience with Linux has been through the command line anyways. So when I select the packages all I want selected is SSH server and standard system utilities, but as I said, when I boot into the OS, type in my user name and password I get no sound ,I type orca and speakup and get nothing, what am I doing wrong? I tried to see if it because I wasn't installing a desktop, so I redid the installation and installed gnome as well as standard system utilities and ssh, but still nothing.

I have tried a couple different ISO's, but had no success, can someone point me to a good ISO to be using for best accessibility, as well as how I can install the OS so that I can get speech up and running preferably with out a desktop environment?

TJ Breitenfeldt

2016-06-22 02:12:27

Well I'm also new to Linux.

73 Wj3u

2016-06-24 20:34:26

Is there a different version of Linux that someone could suggest other than Debian that provides an accessible installer so I do not need sighted help, and will work well as a file and web server?

2016-06-24 20:56:37

Given that you're a relatively newcomer to Linux, I would suggest you start off by getting your hands on Ubuntu Linux (which is a Debian-based system). It has the advantage of having a GUI, and it is really accessible. The variant I tend to use is Ubuntu Mate because it seems to run faster and is a bit light in terms of system resource consumption. You can also simply deploy a Ubuntu server system, which is one of the options offered on the main website. I've never used it, but ideally, if it comes prepackaged with OpenSSH, you can log in via another computer, and install the necessary accessibility components to get it up and running. A step above that, as far as difficulty with setting up a system, would probably be to look into Arch Linux. You can perform a search for the Talking Arch Iso, and follow the Arch Wiki to installing and customizing your system. Hope this helps.

2016-06-25 02:11:43

I recomend Vinux 5.0, alldo I cannot hear it because my computer doesn't have integrated speakers.

73 Wj3u