2016-06-19 15:46:36

Ahoy all.
Now that it has been a few days with my mac I have gotten used to it a bit,and although I still feel its a bit slow, I'm not as majorly annoyed as I was a few days ago.
My stupidity aside in getting a MacBook Pro 2015 instead of a far better 2012 or a windows pc, I do have a few questions that I haven't been able to figure out by reading apples and such.
In finder, say I have a folder in list view, and another window or folder open in finder again. how would I go about navigating between the 2?
a example of such a thing would be a documents folder open and a downloads folder.
Something along those lines, how do I get finder not to open multiple windows when navigating the filesystem?
And ehh, cmd o to open a file or a folder instead of enter? I find that really clumsy.... that's one of the major pain in the arse apart from anything else.

I suppose I might end be forced to end up with win10. win8.1 iso that actually can be installed without a key looks like quite impossible to find,there are ways or so I have read,but which requires editing the iso, which macs can't do by default.
and since this is a mbp2015 I can't install win7 on the dam thing. sad
Oh yes, if someone manages to read this far, how do I keep my mac from sleeping or bring up that user authentication dialogue even if you are listening to music with vlc on the foreground.
I'll ramble on later, and thanks again.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2016-06-19 16:12:33

I'm actually curious about the use of Macs as well. I'm going to have to start doing all of my work on them in the coming months, and being a primarily Windows OS user, it's going to be a bit of a shell shock.

The universe is a rain storm. We are droplets sent to quench the problems of the world, yet we are blown sideways by the winds of distractions.

2016-06-19 16:42:24

Ahoy there
Quite right,sneak. It has been quite a change to say the least, although I suppose changing a hole os will usually take a bit until you get used to it or not.
The hole mac os has been an experience, to say the least, things like cmd o to open stuff be it a folder file etc, is one thing that's slightly annoying, or at least a huge curve that makes you think a second before you open stuff. unlike a single hand doing a instant down arrow enter down arrow enter and so on.
The guides on apples have certainly proved to be helpful in making me learn even though slightly about OSX.
I have so many questions that its kinda hard for me to remember them all and ask them lol
I.E between the last post and now, I remembered that I had forgotten to ask how to fix misspelled word as you would on windows on firefox,ms word and so on? mac has a systemwide spell checker and I often here misspelled than I'd like to, and have no clue on how to go about correcting them.
Is there something similar where you misspell a word,go back to it and correct it as soon as you here it say misspelled? those were the firefox and ms word type things I was talking about.
Any other suggestions that any of you could provide,would be welcome as well.
Thanks.

Follow me on twitter

2016-06-19 19:05:48

Ahoy there,
Thank you wanderer
I have used cmd down arrow to open folders and such,but doesn't that open whatever the selected item is in an separate window?
I'm not quite sure whether its the cmd down arrow or the cmd o that does this.

I guess I'll get used to this in a while, or so I hope.
Btw, another question.
Can you play musical instruments like you can on iOS on the mac,as well?

Cheers, and thinks. spellings still have me stumped, but I guess that's not new lol.

Follow me on twitter

2016-06-19 19:37:52

At the risk of being seem as a shameless promoter, I suggest you read this topic, which helped me get started during my early days of usage.  That was a couple of months or so ago, and I'm doing way better now thanks to all the info presented there.  I hope this helps.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2016-06-20 09:46:06

Ahoy there.
Thanks Nocturnes
That topic is quite good and indeed that was able to answer a few of my questions.
I still can't figure out how to deal with correcting spellings, and the OSX autocorrect just like the autocorrect of any platform sucks.
I indeed had loads of fun today while taking down notes and having all those words I wrote replaced. I.E SCM to sum. lol

I'm thinking if its not possible to install win7 through bootcamp, and I'm not sure if I want to run win10 just yet, would it be a good idea to virtualise a win7 on this MacBook Pro?
The only reason I ask is this is a 2015 map 13.inch and it feels kinda slow even when browsing pages and such.

Btw, doesn't a mac have some indicator that it has actually started? Its dam awesome though, not even a single beep from it,when you start it up but the screen remains black for 10 seconds or so,after which the apple logo appears and in 5 seconds or so the machine comes up with the login dialogue.
Doesn't it even visually have a light or some such that comes on when the system has started but hasn't finished booting?

Thanks.
p.s. if virtualisation is possible on this machine, which virtualisation software is the best?

Follow me on twitter

2016-06-24 02:44:47

It should play the little mac OS boot logo sound thing when it's turning on.  If you have the 2015, you can check whether the mac is on by pressing on the trackpad.  If it doesn't give, then it's not on.

You can navigate to the next spelling error with command+;, after which you press vo+shift+m to look at the list of corrections.  I think there's a more in-depth article on the mac's spell check on applevis.  Also, you can start voice over on the log on screen.  I can't remember where to go off the top of my head and a little busy at the moment, but if you can't figure it out after you read this message, let me know and I'll post instructions tomorrow or later tonight.

I'm probably gonna get banned for this, but...

2016-06-24 06:35:22

Ahoy all
Thank you aaron and wanderer
I figured out the voiceover login ages ago, but spellings have been a pain in the arse which I haven't been able to figure out as to how it exactly works.
I'll try your suggestions and see how it goes.
Its not even been a week since I got this machine, well a week today, and I have been doing nothing but troubleshooting issues.
I.E the other storage almost being at 22/23gb apps at 6gb and so on,that too with nothing but pages numbers etc installed and nothing besides,
After a reinstall the other issue seems to be ok, but the other problem of safari not loading the homepage still exists even after the reinstall.
Before I couldn't visit this forum and many other sites with safari,but now I can so that's good, I guess.

So far, I have changed the finder to show internal hdds, told it to show extensions, next I need to disable this autocorrect, anything else you guys might recommend I do? to make my experience of this mac a bit better?
oh and, when I searched for add blockers for safari I got too many results, any good  one in particular?
Thank you.

Follow me on twitter