2016-05-28 19:16:28

discounting the dell which is really nicely priced for what you get, It has to be the Lenovo Y40. I can vouch for the broadwell I7 5500U. I've got one in a fanless case roughly the size of a quite thick hardback book, and It rarely throttles even when emulating gamecube games in dolphin. When under load, it spends most of it's time boosting almost to the top end of it's turbo frequency with both cores active, 2.9 GHZ. I have to load both CPU and GPU before it throttles, and I suspect that's power throttling. You'd never run into that situation on the laptop, as the AMD graphics would be doing the rendering, not the HD5500. If the laptop's cooling is up to scratch, that one would be a really good all rounder. You'd not be gaming at 1440P at 60 FPS, but in the end why would we need to. Still say it's a no brainer dropping the extra $110 to get the quad core i7 and NVIDIA 960m (the 4 GB one too). In the end though, if you don't need that level of graphics or CPU performance, the Lenovo, or the equivalent spec will do you just fine.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2016-05-28 20:08:07

Yep, exactly what I was thinking Exodus, and thanks for your personal account of how your 5500U does, it's always nice to have those.

Afrim, The keyboard will probably only be significantly smaller in an 11.6 inch laptop, and that deal might not be around by the time your holidays are over, I don't know how long that would be for you, but the good news is that I somewhat over estimated how hard it was to get an SSD in a standard sized laptop.
When I made the prediction about you having to pay 1500 or up for that, I was still working on the assumption that the market hadn't changed much in the last two years; but I failed to take into account how many manufacturers are offering SSD's as drive options in their custom configurations now.

They do generally overcharge you for what your getting, some are worse than others of course, and it's allot more difficult to find deals for those specific models on reseller sites like New Egg, Best Buy, Tiger Direct, ETC because they are less popular over all; which is why I didn't remember them in the first place.
That means that your probably going to have to buy any laptop like that at full price and directly from the manufacturer, so you might have to skimp a bit on other components, but if you do your research than it's certainly possible to stay within your price range, especially if you go refurbished.

Shipping costs will almost certainly be less though, which is nice, excluding customs of course, but since your planning on buying from the states, that means I can find you something without having to deal with country specific models that aren't the same as they are here.
Just be aware that you may have to go 50 to 100 dollars above your current price range to get what you want, if that's doable, but like I said I'll try my best.
The least expensive way would still be to get a regular HDD and replace it your self though, and finding something larger than 128GB for under 600 dollars is going to be hard, if not impossible; since like I said before, manufacturers charge you more for SSD's than what they actually cost.

2016-05-28 21:33:29 (edited by defender 2016-05-28 21:39:05)

Here's what people say about the keyboard of the Acer.

Manufacturer says: The interior design enhances this notebook’s productivity even more with a spacious chiclet keyboard and touchpad. Its full-size keyboard features roomy distance between keys, for comfortable typing and precise feedback on each input.

Amazon Reviewer 1: The keyboard is decent overall. The keys aren't really loud like most chiclet keyboards, and the travel is decent. But some keys feel slightly mushy. I have gotten used to it now, and I have no issues with the keyboard anymore. But it took a little getting used to.

Amazon Reviewer 2: I keep it docked 80% of the time, so I'm not using the keyboard or mousepad that often. I will agree with the other user, those elements aren't great and that's why I knocked off a star. But, I tested a few other laptops in this range and nothing was really impressive in terms of keyboard and touchpad control. I think all modern laptops are pretty bad in terms of that.  Overall, a solid laptop that I have thoroughly enjoyed using over the last week and would recommend it to anyone. For $600 it can't be beat.

Lapshock.com: The full size keyboard is of a chicklet style, featuring quite wide spacing between the keys that can take a little getting used to. It works well enough, but is just not as responsive as the best of its competitors, with some keys feeling a little mushy and imprecise in use. Overall the keyboard works fine in use, but it lacks the finesse and refinement of those found on some of the other notebooks available in the market.

Youtube User iReactionV2: The keys are very thin and they don't have deep actuation points when you press them so, you know I like to push and really feel when my buttons are being pushed,  it's kind of an adjustment but it's not unusable, it's not terrible...

And here are some reviews on your current laptop's keyboard, I'm assuming it's the HP 655 B6M65EA?

Notebookcheck.net: The keys have good travel and clear tactile feedback. The clicking sound is soft and unobtrusive. There is no keyboard flex except a very minor softness in the area around the DVD drive. The reason the typing experience doesn't entirely satisfy: the keys are completely flat (not concave), which makes fluent typing somewhat difficult. In addition, the keys are mounted somewhat loosely, which makes finding the type position difficult when sliding the fingers across the keyboard. While the keyboard is a good fit for a "consumer" business user, for a true business laptop both feedback and accuracy would have to be a bit better.

reevoo.com reviewer 1: This laptop has a keyboard that is easy to use.

reevoo.com reviewer 2: Keyboard is a nice size easy to operate.

So as you can see, the only typing issues that you might find on the Acer are A. Common to most laptops of this price range, B. Easy enough to get used to for most people, and C. Not a big enough deal to stop people from buying it.

It's also full sized and has no number pad, just like your current one; but it's totally up to you, as I don't want to find you a laptop that you won't be able to use without being annoyed by it constantly.
That said though, it may be worth it just to get it anyway, even if the keyboard isn't your favorite, because according to several reviewers, it has the best set of features of any laptop at this price range, such as the new USB3.1 type C port, a 256GB SSD, a 6th generation I5 processor, a sturdy plastic construction with aluminum top cover, and a touchscreen with good response; and based on the specifications of your current laptop, this will 100 percent fix the issues you are currently having.

2016-05-29 00:56:15

Thank you in advance defender for your always useful help, I really appreciate it.
I think I will definitely go for the acer. I am not going to wait until the holiday is over because the offer might be gone at that time. I will try buying it after 20 days or so because at the moment I'm really busy with final tests.
Also I'll contact my cousin who lives there and let him know about my request. Although he's an imigrant in the US, I'll instruct him how to buy it because his english is very poor. But we'll find the way, anyway.
Again, thank you in advance for your extensive help.
In this current laptop, the keyboard and the microphone are two parts that shine. Keyboard is very comfortable here indeed. However, the laptop is very slow and I cannot put up with it.

2016-05-29 06:27:38 (edited by defender 2016-05-29 06:43:12)

Yep it will probably still be around by then, and if it isn't I'm sure I can find something else, though it probably won't be as good...
I'm happy to help though, and glad you've decided on taking the plunge. smile

2016-05-29 06:42:23 (edited by defender 2016-05-30 00:14:09)

Alright Grryf, I found you two decent laptops in India, at your price of 55 to 65000, it's surprising how many Indian sites are in English, I thought that this would be much harder.

I've included both the series name, the model name, and the product number, so that their easy to find.
They are both currently popular laptops from well established brands there, at least according to digit.in and quora.com, so you shouldn't have any problem finding them, and in fact I already did, on the website's of three highly rated resellers.  Flipkart, snapdeal, and Amazon.in.
Here they are:

HP Pavilion (15-ab034TX) - (M2W77PA)

Acer Aspire E15 (E5 573G 787X) - (NX.MW4SI.005)

The HP is the better one while the Acer is a backup, and they both have I7 processors, Nvidia GTX 900 series dedicated graphics cards, 8GB of RAM, 2 USB 3 ports, and a 1TB HDD.
The HP has a significantly better build construction and a somewhat higher powered graphics card with more VRAM, but it doesn't have AC wireless like the Acer does.
So, up to you, but N is going to be plenty good enough for most things.

2016-05-30 03:18:15

For what it's worth. After my failed attempt to upgrade to Windows 10 with my current laptop, a Dell Latitude D830, and concluding that to run Windows 10 will require a newer laptop, which I'm not ready to do.

When  I get a new laptop, it will more than likely be another Dell Latitude. This D830 has been through hell and bad and still shows very little wear and still works perfectly. You can't beat that for an eight year old laptop!

2016-05-30 06:15:12

Ahoy there defender!
Cheers for that.
After you posted the good specs/what to look for I could just filter the machines based on those,but it was the built quality,vents,overheating and such that I wasn't sure about.
So cheers for searching for those moddles this definatly makes things easyer for me.
Out of all the 3 recommendations you posted before, I also likwed the del,but knew it'd be out of my price range because dels tend to be a bit higher priced as compared to its compititors. Lenovo Y40 would have been my second go as well, but I could hardly find it.
I have yet to check these out, will do as soon as I'm done writing this,that's because I'm trying to figure out how to select stuff with this bluetooth keyboard on ios lol
And yeah, its funny that almost everything around here is in english, heck I don't think I have come across websites or such in hindi unless I specificly go looking for them.
Anyhow,cheers again!
thanks.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2016-05-31 13:05:42

Ahoy there again,

I had a look at both the hp and the aiser laptop, and they both are almost similar? besides the shared memory(a bit unsure as to what that exactly means) and the AC wireless. I don't think I should be needing AC anytime soon,so these 2 should do me well I.E a choice if I'm not able to find one of them in the stores.

How good are the yoga series of machines as compared to the hp and the esser machines mentioned above? the hp and aser are a bit cheaper,but there are good configerations available in the yoga series by lenovo.
The trouble with these indian moddles is I'm hardly able to find reviews on the machines as to their built quality, over heating issues and so on.

Both of these are excellent recommendations though, just perfect besides a hq processer,but I guess that's a bit out of my range atm considering my budget.
Thanks

Follow me on twitter

2016-05-31 15:01:03

If I am correct, shared memory refers to the area of main memory that is shared with the built in display adapter to provide memory to hold the image being displayed.

Unlike stand alone display adapters that have their own on board memory, built in display adapters as used in laptops and on motherboards that have built in display adapters, the built in display adapters rely on a part of the system's main memory being shared with it.

That's why my Dell Latitude laptop says it has 3.5 GB of memory instead of the 4 GB that's actually installed in it. The missing 512 MB of memory is being used by the built in display adapter.

2016-06-10 11:56:20 (edited by grryfindore 2016-06-10 12:04:51)

Ahoy all

I'm still without a pc, although not for long I hope.
Waiting has increased my budget to 80k or so but I can't get a better macbookpro with that and most of the pcs are just the same anyway, so it seems kind of meh.

I just compared the I7 6500u and the processor in the macbook pro 2012 moddle in trying to decide what would be better I.E in term of power and which'd last me a fare while.

@defender and anyone else who knows about it or has experience with this,
I'm ultimatly gonna either buy a new macbookpro 2012 or one of the machines suggested by defender. but will a macbookpro 2012 will really last me 4 5 years at least? and if people have tried windows on it, does jaws have issues with it when running windows I.E lag issues and such.
Most of my work is just gonna be just like afrin, I.E opening large documents,scanning stuff, etc. besides games and such.
I'll of course upgrade the ram for now, to 16gb or 8gb in 1 slot at least and replace the hdd with a ssd when I manage enough funds for it.

If a macbook won't last me or its processor is gonna have issues, I' guess it'll be the hp for me, the one suggested by defender.
I'm also considering del inspiron 5559 I7 or I5 6th gen(it is quite surprising how less of a difference actually exists between the 2)

Here is the link to the comparision I did between mbp and the I7 6500u processors http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-6 … e-i5-3210M

It is bloody surprising how much the engineers like to screw over people around here in the apple stores, although I don't suppose it is exactly a apple store but a service center.
If I get my ram upgraded while getting it, of course they charge a leg and a arm for it,but he was quite willing to install rams for me as long as I got the rams for him,and payed him just as much as a ram costs to install the dam things! I.E a 8gb ram costs about 3500INR and he was asking 2500INR just for installing those on.
I figure if I end up with a mbp, I'll try and find someone who fiddles around with computers and get them installed that way.
Oh and, thank you figment, for the explaining that. I thought that might be it,but wanted to confirm.

Follow me on twitter

2016-06-11 01:13:16 (edited by Sebby 2016-06-11 01:28:54)

@grryf:

That HP does look quite nice. And yes, the MBP will certainly last you five years, with upgrades. The processor is more recent on the other models, of course, but the MBP is still a good machine.

To be clear, this is your choice to make. As an Apple person, I hate watching the market flash past while Apple does sod all for extended periods of time. That doesn't change the fact that they're a good investment. In your position, I'd be highly torn ... and I imagine that's why you're asking. Honestly, I don't have an answer for you. I recommend the MacBook because I love MacBooks, and feel that a lot of Windows hardware is a little wanting in the design/robustness department. But you'll get more for your money if you go with the PC--that's an undeniable fact. Both of them run Windows, but only one runs OS X, and even though Macs make great Windows machines, in your position I'd be a little hesitant to out right go with the Mac if you're only going to use Windows on it, because it is entirely possible that the HP will be a quality machine. It really just comes down to the hardware, and where you're willing to compromise.

It's over to you, really. I hope others can jump in here and provide a little more assurance, given you'll be using this machine for the next five years; seems like this choice is rather more important than is reasonably accommodated by personal favouritism.

Whatever you go with, good luck. smile

Edit: Monday is WWDC. You might hang on just a tiny little bit longer to see if better deals open up on Mac hardware.

Just myself, as usual.

2016-06-11 12:05:23

Hello there,
Thank you Sebby. You are quite right. I'd be getting better machines with a better configeration at any rate at that price, but its quality that I'm not sure about. Mbps quality I have heard loads about but I'm wondering if its processor will run jaws and such with a few other applications without any issues.
The mbp I could upgrade with a 16gb ram to begin with and later on ssd, but I don't think I can get its processors upgraded here.
Having one of those actual applestores around here would have been quite useful right about now. I've heard roomers of they starting a apple store in about 2017 but that doesn't help me much right now :d
I'm not sure about this, but When I visited a store and asked for the hp notebook defender posted above, I was told that hp15-ab522tx was a newer version of that moddle. These companys should really come up with names that are easyer to remember, I mean who can remember just a bunch of letters and numbers. Ot I know but still lol
Each and every machine that I have looked at so far and that I have been able to find reviews on seem to have some or the other problem with them. I.E the hp 15 according to laptopmag has a shitty dim display which sucks so bad that even normal stuff doesn't appear clear on it. Sure seeing as I am blind I shouldn't have any issues with that,but seriously how do they get away with pushing out products like that and people actually buying them?
And aye, I don't really see for what I might need to use OSX Windows is all I can think uses of atm, I.E mudding,audio games,reading (eloquence) and stuff like that. although I guess I could scan etc on a mac as well.
I should be getting a windows pc with all these in mind,but then all the things I've heard about mbps so far have been nothing but good,and unlike all those pcs I haven't seen any floors in the mbp so far. If I only knew about the processor being able to handle all that I need it for without slowing down, I would have the mbp already.

@Sebby, as to the wwdc, I guess I can wait sinse I have waited for so long,but I have a feeling even if the new hardware is announced it wouldn't make much of a difference here,at least in the stores that sell apple macs. but eh, lets see.

This post has actually come out a bit scattered all over the dam place,but this afternoon heat and the bluetooth keyboard don't really help matters any.

Follow me on twitter

2016-06-11 19:06:26

if your comparing the older i7 in the macbook with the I7 6500u, It really looks like this.
I7 6500u supports faster ram, has a much more powerfull integrated graphics system and supports newer PCI standards. The 6500u U also has a hardware Video Decoder, which reduces load when dealing with video content, including 4K H.264 and the newer H.265(HEVC) standard.  The i7 in the 2012 macbook pro 13 inch just edges out the 6500U in benchmarks, but your hardly going to notice the few extra points it gains. The newer GPU in the 6500U, plus the more modern things it supports are nice to have,  But you wouldn't be giving up a lot going for the older hardware in the macbook.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2016-06-11 21:57:09

@grryf:

You are not going to notice any meaningful differences for the workload you describe. Really, these MBPs are still sold precisely because they work for the bulk purchasers that buy them. Read this. Marco is strongly pro-Apple, but he's absolutely correct. It's still a perfectly good machine for what it is, and everything you need to do that isn't extremely GPU-intensive, such as the everyday work of computing, will work just fine. Especially if you max the processor and then, independently, upgrade RAM and HDD.

Now assuming you go for it, you should know that this model won't boot MBR-partitioned disks via USB. You must have optical media and an optical drive (whether internal or external). (OS X, of course, boots just fine as it's GPT, not MBR.)

Also, I do advise you to use OS X to update the firmware, at a minimum, and maybe also to get Windows drivers with BootCamp. You could minimise the partition size and install Windows alongside or on another disk, or with more elbow-grease, do a fully Windows-only installation. You can't perform firmware upgrades from an external drive, so I suggest you run the machine in its out-of-box state through a complete upgrade to the latest release of OS X, at least once. But once you have done that, and gotten your firmware upgrades, it's basically a PC, and you can do whatever you want with it. I hope, but don't know, that the firmware will include network booting of the recovery image; if not, now is the perfect time to create it. See this thread for even more gory details.

Like I said, it's over to you, and I wish you good luck on your new computing adventures. smile

Just myself, as usual.

2016-06-12 06:19:10

Ahoy all
A few questions that I just thought of.

@exodus, I was comparing the processor that the 2012 mbp has I5 not the I7, because I haven't seen any I7 macs floating around.
Along the same lines, I don't think the moddle I'm looking at is a LA but a md101 HNA or some such.

I did ask the guy in the service center if I could upgrade my ram and hdd that is replace the hdd with a ssd,. To which he was like, you can upgrade the ram to 8gb, but many people do it to 16gb as well,but then if your machine has any issues like overheating we won't support you or something along those lines.
The idiot was like you can't change the hdd in this when I know that it can be done just fine. duh.
See what I mean about having a proper applestore around here...
And, the max processor that I can get my macbookpro 2012 is the one it comes with I.E the I5, because the same guy was like we don't upgrade processors. sad

Now to the questions.
With just the ram upgraded,how well does the mbp run the latest OSX? does it have slow downs or lag? compared to the newer moddles?

I don't know much when it comes to stuff like installing windows and such, but I was under the impression that windows7 could be installed on gpt,as well?
It is highly likely that I'd just get a iso of win7 bootcamp it, and then pirate it using one of the ,many tools out there. because now after the mbp and the ram I won't have enough cash to buy a $0.99 app much less win7. lol
so can that be done on a mbp?

Cheers to the both of you and thanks for the information.

Follow me on twitter

2016-06-12 17:19:32

@Grryf:

What about online ordering and home delivery? Bypass the obnoxious service centre for your initial build, somehow. Check the "Apple Store" app on iOS. You've got to get a BTO upgrade on your processor; there is no other way. Once you have that, bring the machine in and upgrade RAM, HDD by yourself. Or get Apple to do both, at extraordinary expense. Here's the major downside to this master plan: you have to have somebody who would be willing to follow instructions online (there are many of them for this machine, really) and carefully open up your precious new MBP, and install your new SSD and RAM (optionally, with a caddy, also a second SSD, but I'd not be so hasty to go for that, since there's a slot in the casing).

As for minimum requirements, assuming a worst-case scenario: 4 GB RAM, 8 recommended, and you really want an SSD. True, if the machine is up for long enough, the SSD becomes less and less relevant as more data is cached in RAM, but 4 GB is definitely taking your chances because it's Apple's current hardware minimum. Apple always uses minimums, and they always suck, for obvious reasons. If you can believe it, they currently recommend 2 GB minimum; in practice that is simply unbearable.

Windows 7 does install onto GPT systems supporting UEFI, but it still relies on the legacy VGA interface for graphics (this was fixed in Windows 8, and now contemporary Macs don't even include the CSM and support 8+ only). Apple's EFI offers GOP (graphics drawing), which is the appropriate way to support the frame buffer under the EFI environment, but Windows didn't, and so Apple didn't use or support Win7 plus EFI. You *might* be able to make it work by using an unattended install or the WinPE environment, but my personal recommendation is not to bother; it saves a few seconds of boot time, and not much else, in practice, while introducing other problems. The only other major reason to switch to UEFI was AHCI support, but I do believe that the 2012 MBP was the first to default AHCI for the CSM, so even there, you're fine. There are workarounds in the event that it isn't happening, but I imagine once you have your firmware upgraded, it'll be correctly supported and you can check in Windows that you are using the native AHCI drivers. This is, of course, most important when using an SSD.

Right, anything else? smile

Just myself, as usual.

2016-06-12 19:27:06

Ahoy there,
@sebby, I can only buy from either the apple retailers(authorised dealers),or the service center/apple retailer.
There are 2 reasons for that.
1:I can only aford a macbookpro through emis, and a mbp is the only one where I can meet its downpayment.
2: we don't have a applestore here so I believe the applestore app doesn't appear to be in the indian appstore,but I'll try just in case.

So as things stand now, I can only get a macbookpro with a I5 processor, 2012 moddle.
So you are suggesting I should try and get a ssd first rather than the 16gb ram? because I think I could only do either one atm, that is either the ram,or the ssd. and the other would have to wait.

I'm a bit lost when it comes to all this bios stuff, I sure can install windows and such using twpe but you ask me to talk on it,or go into detail I'd be lost. :d

Thanks, again.

Follow me on twitter

2016-06-13 14:29:33

I'm sorry for missing these newest few posts, not sure how that happened, but basically, Sebby and Exodus are right about everything. LOL
Well, accept for the fact that Exodus thought that you were getting an I7 and Sebby is working on an entirely different level of knowledge... big_smile

Anyway, as to the memory, 16GB is totally unnecessary for a laptop, as any one application needing over about 2GB is probably going to max your processor out before your memory, and cumulatively you are extremely unlikely to ever reach above 6GB, as well, even if you have like 8 Windows open at once.
If you are running boot camp and not a VM, and you don't use a professional grade media converter/editor on a daily basis, than you will likely never even hit the maximum even with your preinstalled 4GB, but an extra 2 or 4 is nice for peace of mind, which is why so many people suggest it (just encase).
The whole thing is essentially just an enormous dick measuring contest anyway, especially when you get into gaming computers, and manufacturers have done an excellent job convincing the average consumer that more RAM equals better, one hundred percent of the time, when really, that era died 10 years ago, and memory clock speed and bandwidth matter a whole lot more.
That said though, even upgrades on that front have a negligible impact on over all performance, at least the kind that can actually be felt by the end user instead of being measured using points on a graph for bragging rites.
The CPU's efficiency is far more important in real life, within reasonable limits, that and switching from an HDD to an SSD, or upgrading the firmware and drivers to the latest versions.

Now, as to the processor difference, I think that's already been summed up quite well here, but what your actually asking is weather you can still do all of the things you do now even with the older one, and the answer to that question is yes.
Well, I mean obviously I don't know about every single program you use, but Jaws, most audio games, email clients, and web browsers will almost certainly work in just the same way as before, and any possible slowdowns will be small and easily neutralized by the addition of an SSD, which is why I suggested one in the first place, well, that and it's just better in every conceivable way...
Either way, both of those processors well exceeds the minimum system requirements for almost all of the standard programs you might encounter, and by standard I just mean not high powered applications for specific, intensive tasks that most people wouldn't need to trouble them selves with anyway, the only difference is that one of them exceeds it even more.

Now in terms of hardware and durability, you can easily buy a hard, padded case for a Windows laptop that will protect it nearly as well as the Mac's will when in transit, and while the Apple warranty is going to be better, it also seems like finding a shop where you are wouldn't be very easy on short notice, unlike an HP or Dell store.
That said though, even with an SSD, the Mac is still going to hold up noticeably better to drops when out of a case, so you'll just have to be more careful with a Windows laptop, but even if it does break, replacing parts will be much cheaper than a Mac if it happens out of warranty.
So really, both have their pros and cons, but it's nothing that can't be significantly improved with some common sense and basic caution, either.

Still, you should try and remember the concept of future proofing when making your final decision, E.G. will buying a computer with older hardware mean that in 3 or 4 years, I likely won't be able to keep up with technology at all, and if so, will I be missing out on anything that actually matters to me? or will it all just be a series of high priced gimmicks, rather than true leaps forward.
Looking at the current trends, most of the upcoming groundbreaking technology is either theoretical and iffy in terms of security or practical use, mostly visual based, or only potentially available to the research, military, and enterprise sectors, which means it's going to take a while to trickle down to the home consumer level anyway.
So barring anything not only crazy but also extremely fast growing happening in the next few years, your Macbook will still be able to keep up, even if the HP will probably keep up better.
However, there is no point in having a class pacing machine that breaks before it can show it's value, even if the HP and Dell in question are both quite good in terms of that, so it's ultimately up to you if your willing to take that risk.

2016-06-13 15:35:03

Damn! I was *sure* I'd written my latest reply, but incredibly, I haven't! I must have imagined it.

Defender's right. The SSD will mean more to you than memory. Of course memory is something you should certainly look into upgrading, at your earliest convenience, but by installing an SSD you've just taken away the biggest bottleneck in low-memory scenarios. So do that first; 4 GB is just about enough to make OS X happy, in practice.

As for where to buy from, sounds like your options are indeed quite limited. Give the Apple Store app a try, just in case; they do for instance offer recurring payments in some markets, and maybe if you're lucky yours will be one of those. BTO, if you can, is the way to go.

Don't worry about the details of Windows installation. Really, I'll help you cross that bridge when you come to it, if you should really need help. Suffice it to say that Apple's approved "Bootcamp" route is as easy as 1-2-3, so you'll be all right, no matter.

Just myself, as usual.

2016-06-13 18:18:28

Ahoy there.

Thank you both,Sebby and defender. You both have been really helpful. and of course for putting up with all those questions.

I'm mainly a windows user, that is I have only used windows so far,and everything I do From reading to watching to playing games,torrenting here and there and so on, gets easyly done on windows just fine, but  the reason I have been jumping through hoops whether to buy a apple mac or a windows pc is exactly because of long lasting that is having a long life and quality.
I think defender puts it just right when he says

However, there is no point in having a class pacing machine that breaks before it can show it's value, even if the HP and Dell in question are both quite good in terms of that, so it's ultimately up to you if your willing to take that risk.

For the cost of a mbp,and a ssd,and a ram(80 82k) I could probably get a del I7 6500u? if that's the right name of the processor, with 16gb ram,1tb hdd,4gb or 2gb graph etc, which should last me if nothing at least in terms of performance/slow downs for 4 years minimum.
But that's what I'm not sure about. The quality of the machine as the hole, plus its components lasting for that long.
For example, my lenovo z500,6gb ram,1tb hdd,a I5 third gen M processor, but ever sinse I got it, after a few months it had slowdowns,and not really working as smooth as you'd expect a macchine like that to work. Overheating, lagging when I played injustice it was slightly alright on low settings,but anything over that would threten to break its heart out. Hell, it'd get so hot that I couldn't even touch its left edge for long periods.
Thought it needed cleaning out, had that done, no difference. Formatted it just in case it was infected, no good. and it just carried on from there. Taking ages to boot,word files taking ages to open,that too not even 20pages or so. in the end I thought it was just hardware ands let it go.
This ain't saying lenovo is bad all over, the previous machine that I had,4gb ram,core to dio(can't spell the dam thing)processor, ran win7 on it, and I can say it worked far better than the lenovo z500
This is the reason why I am not just looking at specksheets and jumping to get the best processor and so on.
now I know, I most probably won't be able to play games like skullgirls,injustice and so on on a mac,but as long as I get long life,and a hardware that ain't shitty, I'm willing to be without because I never was so good at those anyhow. lol

On the ram front, by god these indian companys really charge as they would the buyers around here.
Example,I whent to amazon.in, and looked for a 8gb ram to put on a mac,and 1x8gb ram kit is costing me about 54/55$ (about 3500INR) and on amazon.com with free international shipping to india, I'm getting 16gb 8gb x2 kits for $53! and 1 8gb for about $27 or so. sheesh.
I guess I have about $100 or so,if I am able to get a small ssd under that, for OS's and such, I am thinking I could squeese in a 8gb ram as well. I'm wondering though, if it would be possible for me to swap out a 2gb apple ram and put in a 8gb crucial kit in that slot and have 10gb ram,without it causing issues?

I've heard that replacing the hdd and ram doesn't void apple warranty however fucking around with the optical does. so I don't think my small ssd idea would work out that good,I.E swap out the optical for a smaller ssd, and keep the internal for movies and so on.

Defender, could you see and let me know if the hp15-ab522tx is similar to the moddle you suggested just with a better processor?

Woot, apple keynote is in a hour or so, finally,looking forward to that,at least.

Follow me on twitter

2016-06-14 09:25:44

Hello,
I'm coming back again to this topic.
So yesterday, I finally talked to my cousin who lives in the USA, and I told him about what i wanted to buy. I looked again to that acer aspire V13 with the microsoft signature, but the price is now at 599 dollars. So, I looked into other laptops I could afford, and two of them were nice, except for the hard drive.
So, I headed to the shop he told me, not that I'm really sure it's the right one, and saw that the Dell Inspiron 15 5000, with an I5 intel processor, and 8 GB of RAM, + 1 TB of HDD cost 599 dollars. The other computer was HP Pavilion 15, (on offer), which cost 499 dollars, with almost identical specifications. Everything is alright, apart from the HDD, which should be an SSD. I'm not sure if I'll manage to talk to the guy who sells the laptop to ask him if I could replace the 1 TB HDD with a 256 GB SSD. It would be wonderful.

2016-06-14 10:48:54

Ahoy there,

shrug, if I could find a laptop like the acer moddle around here, I'd snap it up. Not just because its quite good,but also it comes with a windows that ain't loaded down with crap.

Heading out to buy either a mbp soon,or another del or hp machines that I'm able to find.

I tryed looking for the applestore app,but as I suspected it is not available around here. If the emi/recurring payment options that apple offers in the UK and US were avalable here without a creditcard(its not avalable with one either) I'd happily grab a I7q 2015mbp but alas it doesn't so there we have it.

I'm getting the mbp 2012 and the macbookair 2016 at the same price,but I am not going for air because I'm thinking its processor might turn out to be a little week for my needs.
speaking of processors, just found out that the mbp 2012 heats and overheats a lot,which doesn't make me feel good,because of the lenovo z500 I had before this.
oh well, wish me luck.
And thank you all for all the suggestions/ answers and so on.
thanks.

Follow me on twitter

2016-06-14 16:27:30 (edited by grryfindore 2016-06-14 16:56:32)

Ahoy all.
Sorry for the double post, but that ehh buying didn't go so well,so its put off again until hope fucking fully tomorrow. At least I dam well hope so!!!

I traveled to the store to look at a few windows moddles that were avalable,and if none were to my liking to grab a mbp 2012. I was able to find a few good moddles I'll talk about them in a bit, and I would've ended up getting a mbp because those good moddles while good were slightly more than I could pay/had the cash on me.
It turns out that the amount I had to pay as the downpayment wasn't right as told to me by the guy working at the store a few days ago,even though I confirmed the details with him at least 4 times.....
So had to come back due to lack of cash to pay the dp with for either machines that I liked.

There's this fantastic machines, too much for my needs,but like only a few thousands more, which translates to 30 40 $$ more than what a mbp with a 256gb ssd would end up costing me with 8gb ram.
Its a asus ROG 552gl? or something along those lines, I'm a bit drained out so can't be sure on the sequence of the letter and digits.
I7 hq 6th gen processor,8gb ddr4 ram,4gb graph,1tb 7200rpm hdd. now I'm just wondering, what's the fucking catch? I' mean its one of those things too good to be true....
Oh and, its a aluminum chassy too,just like the macs???? or so it felt to me anyhow.

Second is a hp I7U processor,16gb ddr 4 ram,could be 8 not sure,and the rest the same.

I'll find the hp moddle and exact config and post again, editing is such a pain on ios,hence my posts come out as they have been. lol

edit:Here is the link to the asus laptop I was talking about. don't bother with  the price, its another one of those amazon fails. I'm getting it 10k cheaper. $100 less than the price listed on the webpage
http://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B01FDT9XYQ … 4NBQV0RBS5
This might be more than what I need,but I think if the quality is good, and as I said no catches, it might be the best future prufe laptop I could buy.

And the hp is supposedly quite a freshly launched machine, if I have it right, its hp 15? au009tx. 8gb ddr4 ram confirmed,the same price as a mbp with a ssd, I think.
If I can get the cash for it,this asus machine sounds really great,baring any hidden catches, but I'm still leaning towards mbp,third gen processor or no.

grryf.

Follow me on twitter

2016-06-14 19:52:59 (edited by Sebby 2016-06-14 21:14:25)

@Grryf:

Specs indeed are not everything. I think at this point you really just have to look at them to know. Like I said, I'm totally for a quality WinTel box, but only if you can find one!

The GPU is indeed the weak point of MBP and if you push it you'll probably ruin any chance you have of having children, LOL. Nevertheless the construction (from tip to toe) is excellent and it'll catch fire long after you do. smile

I can't help notice that this Asus is running Windows 10. Are you happy with that? Perhaps that's the catch. smile

But maybe it isn't. Did you get a good look at it? Is the base also aluminium (lots of heat dissipation there)? Maybe, if you could find Win7 drivers for it, it'd be OK. Aside from the HDD (which you might be able to swap with a SATA SSD), I wonder what the other components are?

I can't find anything concrete for this exact model but I'll poke about. Maybe it's specific to your market. The major reviewers might just be hard to find.

Edit: OK, here we go. Review here. There are two models: that with the plastic cover, and that with the metal. Get the metal one and make sure it's the right one, because they are very similar and share the same major model number.

Just myself, as usual.