2016-05-28 19:04:05

hi,
I'm glad to be promoted to the rank of sara's  social circle after completing 1,500 posts on the forum. actually a long time has passed since the last holding of hunter grunt, and swamp machine before that. perhaps a decent experience, and I hope to continue with the count.

anyways, that reminds me of the old ranking system when I joined the forum in 2010, new audio gamer, audio gamer, advanced audiogamer, hyper advanced audiogamer, super audiogamer, hyper advanced super audio gamer, and probably the most hilarious of them was uber hyper-advanced super audiogamer. I just don't remember the others but indeed the new system adds a variation and makes the titles look more fancy. lol.

feel free to write further opinions.

thanks

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2016-05-28 19:19:05

Hi Sid512.
Well that was before my time I joined in 2011. But that does sound interesting although I like the ranking system the way it is now the word play with audio games. I don't remember seeing those rankings I used to look at the forum before I ever saw different ranks. I joined later on because I enjoyed seeing people's posts and topics a lot.
I love the user karma system it tells you something about a person when you see they have 300 user karma. I'm not really on any other forums because this one and facebook take up a lot of time for me. I'm glad that I'm a swamp machine I've always liked that one lol.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2016-05-28 20:04:37

hi,
nice. well actually there was the concept of negative user karma before, there was also a thumbs down option next to the posts. obviously those were squashed long time ago, but months after I joined the forum there was a huge drama regarding the karma thingy, which originated from a few words of one of my posts which were interpreted by someone quite differently than I intended them to mean. there was a close call between extreme arguments and a possible flame war, but things cooled down eventually, thanks to some understanding on part of myself and other people involved, lol. but actually, there was something very very strange about that, and I do have an honest but serious confession to make after so many years now that I look back at the incident lol, but let's leave that for another post and another topic.

regards.

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2016-05-28 21:49:19

I've always wondered, what do the names of each rank mean? They seem to be quite random

2016-05-28 22:31:53

@cartertemm They're puns on audio games, old and new. The one you have right now is a pun on the game Galaxy Ranger.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2016-05-29 03:18:01

Lol, mine is Troopanum Trooper, after completing 2,000 posts... I've been here since 2013, anyway.

2016-05-29 03:27:00

It would be nice if there were a list of all of the ranks and what game they referred to. I wonder how high they go. The highest I have seen for a normal user is the Dragon King rank.

2016-05-29 05:02:57

Nope. the highest one is paladin in disguise or something... I could be wrong of spelling that.

2016-05-29 05:07:58

That would be interesting to have a list. I personally like the idea of ranks to encourage posting to the forum.  I doubt that I will ever pass 2000 posts though, LOL.

2016-05-29 05:26:46

Well Carter, you are already 4% of the way to 2000 posts.

2016-05-29 05:30:05

If Paladin is the highest rank, they must have been adding the ranks gradually as people progressed because Paladin was only released in 2014.

2016-05-29 05:54:47

Well, Try to find SLJ's posts, you will see the rank below his name.

2016-05-29 06:47:47

People get a new rank every 250 posts. SlJ only has one more post on Paladin in Disguise. Let's see what the next rank is.

2016-05-29 13:36:42

Moderation!

while this is a casual discussion, sinse it does reflect the site I'll move it to site and forum feedback.

Okay, now that's out of the way, I'm glad people like the ranks.
As Sid said, the ranks used to be of the sort audiogamer, advanced audiogamer, super hyper advanced audiogamer, right up to super guru uba hyper advanced audiogamer, they also occurred at random times if I remember rightly.

When i became admin of this forum in 2012, I decided to do something about this. The puns on old games was something I saw on retroremakes forums, who had names like wumpus hunter so I thought it'd be fun to do our own, plus I like puns big_smile.

I'm afraid there's no real secret about what games got ranks or why, it was just what I happened to randomly think of at the time and what made a good pun, though I did try to include something of a selection across times and platforms, ---- I was rather proud of knight of parasite and paladin in disguise though big_smile.

I've put together a list of ranks and what game's they're from which you can Read here
At the moment the ranks go up to eight thousand. I originally only wrote them up to six thousand, but people were getting close to that so I stuck in some more. if other users look like getting over the limit I'll write in some more.
I also wanted ranks to be regular sinse I always think it's a bit depressing when the numbers of posts you need for a rank continue to get larger, and the point here is to have fun and give people some sort of semi unique status achievement thingy, which wouldn't happen if everyone was stuck on the rank you got at a thousand posts and weren't going to get another until five thousand big_smile.

As to the user karma, yes we did have something of a karma drama, it was quite alarmer, like a fox being chased by a farmer , lucky  we all had armour so were able to stand up until things got calmer big_smile.

Seriously, I always thought the karma was a nice thing, like public recognition and a way of saying "hay I liked that post to someone" the system was tried in I believe 2010, but the thumbs down button seemed to bring out the worst in people. When i looked at the admin settings though and the thumbs down was turnoffable, that provided a nice solution and the system works out well, indeed i was extremely pleased to see Pragma has got quite a bit of karma for the awesome new crazy party game (some from me as well), which is just the sort of thing it's intended for.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-05-29 16:42:16

Does the forum automatically put in a signature for you if you haven't set one up? Because I've seen some signatures that seem to be based on the rank you currently have.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2016-05-29 18:00:21

Hi to all.
how is the ranking banned.
I have seen three members banned.
fasfunch walter and another one.
I wanted to ask that is this a temprorary banned or permanent.
I have seen the rank and I have enjoyed
I want to ask that why you haven't add danger on the wheel in this rank
I mean instead of entombinater can you add cone knocker?

life's battle do not always go to the stronger and faster man,
But sooner or later who win the one who thinks he can!

2016-05-30 00:23:51

First nope, the forum has no affect on signatures, any sigs you saw based on member ranks were written by the members themselves.

Well Ishen, bans occur for various reasons, you should remember that for Walter, in that case it's not a rank more a notification that the person has been banned.
In terms of ranks, well they're generally what sounded good at the time based only on the game's name. something like cone knocker wouldn't work sinse people would be saying "hay where is that from?"  All the ranks are intended that people look at the database and can see where they're from.
"Ranger on the wheel" would work for example if we needed another rank based on that game.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-05-30 02:18:43

Reading this topic does bring back some memory’s about how things were. I remember trying to post a lot at first to get known and to get my post count up. Of course, my memory may be faulty there and it may had just been me just wanting to post in every topic I came across…

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2016-05-30 07:29:44

I see Mister dark.
well as far as ranks goes how it will be cool that if you add "golden night" from the game last crusade.
or a member's name RTR assassin will be a good rank.
girl's skull from skull girl and
undead massacre from two different games undead assault and march massacre.
hahaha
sounds confusing and interesting
Thanks
Ishan

life's battle do not always go to the stronger and faster man,
But sooner or later who win the one who thinks he can!

2016-05-30 10:41:06

Richard, the audiogames administrator, has 111,000 posts, most of which he accumulated before 2007. What happened before then that led him to have 111,000 posts. He must have been very busy writing those 111,000 posts.

2016-05-30 15:19:36

Lol, but he still an administrator. big_smile