2016-05-17 15:50:26 (edited by Figment 2016-06-03 14:48:33)

On the Leasey list, there is a warning not to upgrade to iTunes for Windows 12.04 because it has some serious accessibility problems regardless of what screen reader you use. Brian Hartgen is recommending putting off upgrading until the accessibility problems are resolved.

This just lends credibility to my theory that Apple doesn't give iTunes for Windows the same accessibility consideration they give to iTunes for OS X because Windows and Windows based machines are competing products to their own Macintoshes.

I don't really care whether my theory has any truth to it or not. I'm just glad I no longer use iTunes.

I posted this as a caution for those Windows users that do use iTunes, because, unless you download and keep the full installer for each version, it's damned near impossible to go back once you've upgraded. Better safe than sorry.

2016-05-17 19:55:31

I emailed Apple accessibility about these issues, and they said they only officially support Window-eyes. I went ahead and installed a copy of it, and it does appear to work better than it does with NVDA or Jaws.

2016-05-17 20:21:22

I think we are up to ITune 12.4, but it is funny that this should show here today. LOL. Anyway, there is a bit of a discussion over here on the applevis site. I am not to sure if I want to take a video of everything that is wrong with ITune to send to apple, but does anyone know how to do such a thing if one wishes to?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2016-05-17 22:04:12

patjk wrote:

I emailed Apple accessibility about these issues, and they said they only officially support Window-eyes. I went ahead and installed a copy of it, and it does appear to work better than it does with NVDA or Jaws.

There you have it! That's proof that Apple is only interested in making their products accessible when it doesn't benefit users of competing products such as Windows.

As far as I'm concerned, this just shows that Apple is nothing but a polished turd.

2016-05-17 23:44:31

Not sure why you're going there when the product I stated was a windows product...

2016-05-18 01:27:59

Hello.

Exactly. Although I have tried it with NVDA and wish I hadn't. It's not usable. We can tab around but that's about it.

I'm gone for real :)

2016-05-18 01:36:24

Hello.

I feel stupid now. I should have listened and not upgraded. I don't use itunes that much but when i get a new iphone or want to store music on my laptop, I'm going to need it. Is there any way I can down grade to a more accessible version?

2016-05-18 02:50:47

Good thing I have automatic updates for Itunes turned off, and that I do keep the installer around for whichever version is installed on my computer. I hope these accessibility issues will get resolved in a timely fashion, since I'll be getting an iPhone very soon, and I'm of the opinion that software should be kept up to date whenever possible, except in extreme cases like this one.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2016-05-18 03:07:40 (edited by brad 2016-07-27 11:18:17)

Hello.

I managed to find an older version of Itunes.

If you search on google for how to downgrade Itunes you should find some articles on doing just that and will be back to an earlier version of Itunes in no time.

2016-05-18 13:17:10

to be fair, apple doesn't really support ITunes on windows.  It has nothing to do with accessibility.  ITunes overall has always been slow and unstable on windows.  It's only a little better on OS X.  Thankfully, it seems even apple might be starting to give up on ITunes pretty soon.  It should die already.

I'm probably gonna get banned for this, but...

2016-05-18 13:50:12

People should've gotten the hint when they killed off quick-time for windows. I didn't even shed a single tear when that thing died. Too many features requiring quick-time pro, very unstable. Put simply, a tragedy waiting to happen. One of the few reasons they actually keep itunes for windows going is because it's the software used to connect the ios device to the computer. So as shitty as the accessibility is now, it's more than just a matter of we don't want accessibility on competing products, in fact i's not so much that at all.

2016-05-18 14:50:27

The only thing I found that didn't work with NVDA is the treeview.

Since the treeview is needed for practicly everything, there really isn't much you can do with it. If all you do with iTunes is back up your iOS device, then no problem, just continue using it.

Luckily I managed to find the previous version on filehippo so I was able to downgrade.

A lesson well learnt I think, not to update software until absolutely sure it will work with your screen reader of choise.

2016-05-19 05:49:52

Is this one just released?

2016-05-19 06:23:53

It's the newest version.

2016-05-19 07:07:18

I'll have to see the one that installed on my computer... If it's 12.4, I will downgrade it.

2016-05-19 20:39:18

Here's some audio on the bugs in 12.4. I probably didn't cover them all, and sorry for the audio in advanced. http://sndup.net/669c/a

2016-05-20 00:39:12

Yep I still haven't upgraded so I am glad that I didnt

Gaming is so cool.
Follow me on Twitter @TheBlindGamer2

2016-05-20 05:27:59

Well, yesterday, apple software update promted me to update. but no, thanks.

2016-05-22 12:37:45

@Figment

What do you use instead of iTunes?

2016-05-22 15:07:23

Right now, nothing.

Most of my music is organized into folders by album. One album I call favorites is a collection of music bought by track rather than by album because there was only one song on the album I wanted. The nice thing about this setup is that I don't need to create playlists, its's all organized the way I'd make playlists if they weren't already organized that way.

This is how the Victor Reader Stream does it, I just browse to a particular folder and the VRS treats all the tracks in that folder as if they were in a playlist I opened.

If I decide I need a music player on my PC I'd probably go with Foo Bar 2000.

2016-06-02 08:31:27

lol so I just saw this today... after I upgraded...
does anyone know where I could downgrade to an older version that actually works? would just google it, but I've had some rather nasty experiences in the past with that big_smile

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2016-06-03 14:46:30 (edited by Figment 2016-06-03 14:51:26)

According to Brian Hartgen on the Leasey support list, iTunes 12.04.1 is out and appears to have fixed the accessibility problems 12.04 introduced.

2016-07-26 15:10:29

Bringing this Topic back a bit, does iTunes 12.4.2 worth upgrading?

2016-07-27 00:15:30

Hi,
I'm personally using the latest version on windows 10, and find it to be quite accessible.
I too was reluctant to upgrade, actually just took the plunge the other day, smile but liking it so far.
HTH,

Daniel

2016-07-27 08:09:24

I agree with the person that said ITunes was not originaly a windows product, thus it's not going to be as accessible as it would be on apple's native OS. That's competition for you. If you don't like it, jail break or something.
I personally never use ITunes, because I too find it hard to use, but I'm not placing too much blame on apple because like I said, this product was not really meant for windows in the first place. I do wish apple would do away with ITunes and just make your phone or other IOS device act as a drive on your computer, but until that happens we just need to be patient.

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven