2009-02-18 17:33:21

hi everyone,
there is a virus that has spread from my school network to my laptop to my pac mate and to my exturnal hard drive
how should I get rid of it?

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2009-02-18 17:59:13

hi,
what does your antivirus say? what's the name? what are the symptons if any? ads? popups? files getting damaged? well they get damaged obviasly since they're infected, but if we're on the topic of viruses, I could use some help my self.
there was this virus "fasec" which was, and still is, driving me crazy, now renamed it self to "trojan gen other" avast sees it but although I tell it to "remove" it doesn't do it. I've red it simply downloads it self again, but even If I go offline for the 2 boots periot (reappears after that) it'll still say hi. it does tend to pop up when I use, or load as virtual, cd's, appears when a "windows installer" is installing something, etc. avast pinpoints the file is located under C:\windowes\system32\ then a string of characters beginning with "MSQPD" .dll, something like C:\windows\system32\msqdcajfdkgfjk.dll,
for the sake of it I made it appear, the true name is,  with the directory,
C:\Windows\System32\msqpdxyguxjnnt.dll
the name it was showing before was "Win32:fasec [TRJ}" and it was a trojan, now it says it's a "Win32:Trojan-gen {Other}" and is a worm.
frequent appearance:
-durring boot, after start. startup programs are stopped, they will slowly start after I begin dismissing dialogs with the alert. multiple, rather, many warnings at once are displayed, startup will resume after I dismiss 2.
-when I open IE, will display exactly twice, IE it self will start after I dismiss both.
-if my pc is idle, 15 minutes or so. 3, perhaps 4 warnings.
-durring a windows installer installations, amount of warning is 2-3.
-durring opening a phisical/virtual cd, it will appear sometimes. 3 4 times.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2009-02-19 01:14:16

What anti-virus programs are you two using? That'll help a lot for an answer.

DD: I know that if you use Avast, that you can set it to scan removable drives,and quite possibly mobile devices. If not, then there are also a ton of anti-virus programs for Pocket PCs that you should be able to install on the Pacmate itself. HTH until I get more info. smile

Visit my site at VI Tek Talk.
A discussion forum for cross platform, cross device adaptive tech as well as adaptive tech insociety and different cultures.

2009-02-19 02:00:43

it's not anything major but it's a file that get's really annoying called ignore my docs
and on my desktop there is a file called abc.exe which displays adds

2009-02-19 03:39:35

Ignore_my_docs isn't a virus... That is something that Win Mobile adds to folders and storage cards. It is what Pocket Word/excel uses to browse your items that aren't in the main memory. Here is what you do to get rid of it.
1. make sure Pacmate is plugged in and synced with Active sync
2. in Active Sync, go to File>Explore
3. When the explorer opens, go to My Windows Mobile-based device and go into that
4. Go into any storage cards that you use on the machine, and also into Built-in Storage and add the folder  "My Documents".
5. Now delete Ignore_my_docs after creating "My Documents" folder.

It won't pop back up again smile

You can add "business" "personal" and whatever else you want for folders in "My Documents" As for the other thing, try downloading Avast home edition and running that after updating it. I found that Avast seems to catch quite a lot that others don't catch.

A discussion forum for cross platform, cross device adaptive tech as well as adaptive tech insociety and different cultures.

2009-02-19 09:48:25

hi! maiby can help the eset nod32 antivirus, or avg, or avira.

f.a.t.h.e.r

2009-02-19 12:36:20

Well I use avast.
And I'm glad that "ignore_my_docs" is not a virus, when I heard it I was a bit scared smile so for now my PM is secure. yei!

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2009-02-20 20:05:39

woohoo!
so my external is safe
strange thing is that abc.exe lets you close it through the task manager
who would let you close a virus like that?

2009-02-20 23:00:32

Hmmm.. For the ABC.exe, you could also try downloading Spybot S&D (search and destroy) and that might help out quite a bit. ABC.exe also sounds like a text converter that I use on a constant basis (ABC LIT converter). It is not a virus most likely, but is spyware. That is why you can close it out in the Task Manager. If it lets you close it out, try running Spybot first, and if that doesn't take care of it, you'll have to find it (which folder it's installed on in your Local Disk>Program Files) and delete it manually after closing it down. The easiest way of finding it is to use the Windows Search and see where it's stored. HTH

2009-02-21 03:19:10

Hmm, what kind of text conversions does this thing do?

2009-02-21 23:04:15

What type of text conversions does this thing do? Heh, what do you want? There is ABC LIT converter, ABC Palm converter, ABC text converter... It'll convert almost any type of document out there into one of many many different other document types. Hell, there is also an ABC PDF converter out there. If you need something converted from one format to another, I think ABC will do it with one of their programs. The only real problem is that there isn't one converter that goes from anything to whatever you want, so you have to download each type of converter that you are starting from basically. I don't know the webpage, but I always find free versions online (yes, totally legit so they are not warez).