2016-05-04 21:49:50

Hello everybody,
I am very excited to announce that NVDA, the free and open source screen reader, works flawlessly on windows 10, on the two problematic areas I have previously complained about. First is windows explorer, which works way faster compared to the windows explorer of Windows 8.1, and second is microsoft word, the most used application for me and many others on this forum and anywhere out there. I opened a 350 page book in English, and NVDA, surprisingly enough, did a great job in fast text processing!
This is marvelous, isn't it? it is, indeed!
I'm very excited!
Cheers!

2016-05-05 03:08:13

That's great.
I wonder if it was because you did a clean install of the OS on your computer. NVDA is, in my opinion, the best screen reader available, and it's improving every day. It is great that it's working well for you.

2016-05-05 08:56:59

I think that a test ought to be conducted to determine which is the "best" screen reader. This might lead to more innovation and competition among the screen reader manufacturers.

2016-05-05 12:01:48

Hello dongargon, 
Yes, this is a clean copy of windows 10. When I upgraded from 8.1, it was half 10 and half 8.1. Most of the windows's interface didn't look any different from what it was before I had upgraded. The behaviour of NVDA was identically the same as in windows 8.1 but now it is very different. I still like jaws for some reasons and the biggest one is that jaws does a wonderful performance in text processing. Something that NVDA fails to do as good as jaws sometimes.
It is good to have a screen reader competition, but the competition we imagine is more active among users than among companies who produce them. Often you may read about screen reader battles on this forum and many others like audio games.

2016-05-05 15:16:07

If I'm not mistaken, the main reason why Jaws could perform better with text processing is the access to more and different information due to the use of a special video driver. Other than that, I'm not really sure. big_smile

<- criticview
   aka
   akilor ->
My folding at home statistics

2016-05-05 17:31:37

Actually, JAWS outperform NVDA in text processing, especially Microsoft Suite due to its video driver and ribben menu which NVDA ignore to innovate it.