2016-04-29 08:39:14

Hi Daigonite! The game seems very good! I'll look it for sure!

2016-04-29 10:06:36

hi rachel
i hope this game will come out soon, i think i like it, keep up the good work, i hope it'll be free though smile
good luck

don't wish to become like the oceans, the flowers, or the sun. oceans will dry out, flowers will die, and the sun will be extinguished. be yourself and nothing and no one else and hope for a better tomorrow.

2016-04-29 13:45:32

Wow, that video has over 100 views already,, awesome work! Also, are you developing all the music and dialogue etc all on your own? Just curious, it all sounds really awesome. Using life paint or soul paint or w/e it's called requiring hp is an awesome mechanic, and the system itself seems pretty unique, makes me want to explore what all the combinations do! I understand you're probably not at a point where you need or want suggestions, but I think it'd be useful to have auras produce some kind of constant sound (wouldn't have to be based on color or anything) just so people know it's active. Anyway, thank you for all the hard work, and as long as whatever this game will cost goes towards helping you, I'll gladly pay. Best of luck, and thank you again.
smile

Go, balloons. I don't see anything happening. Go, balloons. Go, balloons. Go, balloons. Stand by, confetti. Keep coming, balloons. More balloons. Bring them. Balloons, balloons, balloons! More balloons. Tons of them. Bring them down. Let them all come. No confetti. No confetti yet. No confetti. All right. Go, balloons.

2016-04-29 14:05:54

Defenitly plan on donating to this. Have been waiting for a decent turn-based RPG for forever. Thanks for this! Also future note don't post this while half awake because you'll post it in the braillemon topic at first. tongue

Silly Gohan, animals don't eat people. People eat animals.

2016-04-29 17:42:16

Nice ! I can't wait for your game ! Turn based RPG are my favorite, though... Do your best, if the game is completly accessible, i gona buy it ! Good luck for programming !

2016-04-30 19:02:38 (edited by daigonite 2016-04-30 19:03:28)

Hello everyone!

I've uploaded the demo for everyone to try out. Please note that the accessibility is pretty bare bones at this point, but about 99% of the text displayed on screen is available through the use of keys. There's also a footstep mechanic that allows you to hear collisions nearby. The demo is pretty short but it should allow you to get acquainted with the story a bit.

Demo is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/31p3m3yy2n7ds … 5.zip?dl=1

To set accessibility mode:

Go to the config.ini file. Go to the key "access" under "main". Change it from 0 to 1. It uses the same basic tts functionality from Braillemon, which means no NVDA support (yet). access_force_graphics is an option if you want to force graphics for streaming purposes. Usually you'll want this disabled since drawing graphics is a bit costly with both TTS  and graphics enabled.

I'm currently working on getting promotional material for my kickstarter ready, so feel free to let me know what you guys think.

you like those kinds of gays because they're gays made for straights

2016-04-30 20:13:25

I'm downloading this now. Which text isn't spoken in accessibility mode?

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2016-04-30 20:41:45

hi daigonite, I've tried the game, but when I launch the game it says code error.
I click ignore or abort but the game still launches, but no accessibility.
I've set the access settings to 1 in the config.ini file but it doesn't work.

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2016-04-30 21:01:43

I have the same error here is this log

of Create Event
for object init:

Error defining an external function.
at gml_Script_tts_init
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Script_tts_init (line 0)
gml_Object_init_Create_0

2016-04-30 21:23:02

Hello.

The game demo works for me. It's not my kind of thing. The game sounds are to... old sounding for my liking but that's the stile of the game I guess.

There does not seam to be any way to oexit the game at the moment. The only way that works makes use of the task manager.

I won't be donating to this game at this time. I'm sorry to say that if you make a kickstarter page for it, I don't think it will get much money.

Let me explain why I think this. From a blind point of view the game has a couple bugs. I understand it's a demo and that's why i'd not make a kickstarter for it. There is no way to exit the game at the moment, it is not clear where you are in the game. There is no way to tell if you are passing an object and the items in battle are inaccesssible.

I'm gone for real :)

2016-04-30 21:30:22

I am crazy because I am trying to play that by using ocr, but it is wrong I have tried to unzip this again and I have the same error.

2016-04-30 21:57:35

Hello. OCR isn't needed to play this game. Perhaps it is the version of windows that is giving you the error?

2016-04-30 22:23:09

Yep, same happens to me, also getting an error about msvcp110.dll being missing from my computer, even though it's in the folder.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2016-04-30 22:38:15

I think that we need to install some visual c libraries

2016-04-30 23:05:52

Game crashed while entering the woods but unfortunately pressed enter before I could copy the error. Great game so far though, and like I said more than happy to donate.

2016-04-30 23:11:01

I have to say tat I have tried to run braillemon because I have thought that I am missing some components, but braillemon is working well, but in this game I have this error.
When first value of config file is as zero as default this game works but without accessibility, but when accessibility is truned on, this game gives me this stupid error, and after pressing abort button it works also without accessibility.

2016-04-30 23:48:47 (edited by daigonite 2016-04-30 23:57:07)

The error basically means that the tts engine cannot be initialized. I cannot tell what causes that error from just that message alone. Usually windows will give another error, such as claiming some DLL could not be initialized. Not sure why it's causing issues if the file is in the folder but my suspicion is that the file had a similar name.

It sounds like it can't communicate with some library. I'm guessing this is because I either put the wrong one in there or what. I'm not at a computer atm but that would be my best guess.

If all else fails you can copy the dlls from braillemon to here - if braillemon is working then this will work too because it's using the same engine.

@ Death - if you could try to trigger the error again that'd be really nice, thanks.

@ Brad - the game is not complete with accessibility features. The major reason is because I want to get the demo out and I don't want to use possibly copyrighted sounds in the demo, and I don't have time to make all accessibility sounds. However the game is somewhat navigable through the use of the the walking echo, and a few orientation keys (a location menu and current coordinates). It's not much but I know it's at least usable for the purposes of introducing the demo.

I don't know what you're talking about in regards to the menus, the menu has mostly everything available by pressing various keys like in braillemon. I'm still working on implementing instructions but some menus even have f1 help. Did you not enable accessible mode?

It's kind of silly to expect me to complete a game in 3 months but we've gone over this in the past I suppose...

2016-05-01 00:40:55

Hello. of corse I don't expect you to complete a game in three months. That would be silly. I'm just saying that making a kickstarter page with a demo that isn't as complete as it could be seems a little silly to me.

What do I mean by a complete demo? Everything has speech. You are aware of what is around you via the use of souns. There's no bugs as far as you can tell. There's a readme. That to me is a complete demo.

As for menu options. I am talking about when you're in battle. If you go to the inventory speech stops. Or it did for me anyway.

2016-05-01 00:59:11

Hello. hear's another thing to think about. Your goal. I'm not sure what it was but I think it was something like $20000. Can you reach that within a month? If not do you have any backup plans? Do you have any other places to get donations?

2016-05-01 01:02:16

Okay so I press W in the woods and get this. ___________________________________________
############################################################################################
FATAL ERROR in
action number 1
of Other Event: User Defined 1
for object access_locator_menu:

Variable access_locator_menu.name(100025, -2147483648) not set before reading it.
at gml_Object_access_locator_menu_Other_11

2016-05-01 01:35:06 (edited by daigonite 2016-05-01 01:56:03)

brad wrote:

Hello. of corse I don't expect you to complete a game in three months. That would be silly. I'm just saying that making a kickstarter page with a demo that isn't as complete as it could be seems a little silly to me.

What do I mean by a complete demo? Everything has speech. You are aware of what is around you via the use of souns. There's no bugs as far as you can tell. There's a readme. That to me is a complete demo.

As for menu options. I am talking about when you're in battle. If you go to the inventory speech stops. Or it did for me anyway.

The demo is oriented towards sighted players and as such the accessibility is only enough so that blind players can get a bit of the experience of the game. Since the same game is going to be delivered to both audiences, it makes sense that I'm focusing on my larger potential audience. I only made this title somewhat accessible as to not alienate my previous audience. I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that I'm developing this game only for the blind - it's a sighted game I'm giving accessibility to.

I still don't know what you mean by that thing with the menus. If you need the last position repeated you can use F9/F10 iirc. The only menu that might be somewhat confusing is the initial party menu - you need to scroll with the up/down keys to hear each stat but this is because of the way the initial menu was designed. Try using the first row of letters starting at "q" to check it out.

Again, I'm sorry that I don't have all of your requirements for an acceptable demo, and that's fine, but it seems like your judgements are coming from your expectations (a blind game) rather than what I'm attempting to actually deliver (a sighted game with an early version of an accessibility engine). You're being awfully confrontational when I haven't even put out the KS yet...

And no, it's not silly, the whole point of a demo is to show an incomplete product to try to encourage people to invest in it. That's the reason why I'm starting a kickstarter in the first place.

@ Death - I'm looking into it right now

2016-05-01 02:07:50

Hello. I understand that you are making a game for the sighted and are adding accessibility to it. With what you are saying,, I will not be donating to this project.

If it were me and I decided to make a game for the sighted and blind I would develop both ways of playing at the same time. For example, if I added a building I would make a graphic for it and  a sound so that the blind person would know what kind of building they are about to enter and so on. After all that is complete I would release the demo to everyone and get there feedback and after that I would make a funding page and I would ask what funding page is prefered and give a list.

I guess what i'm trying to say is this; remember both audiences are equal and should be treated as such. Do not put one above the other. At the moment it seams that you are putting your sighted players above your blind players. That is why I will not donate.

With me saying all that, I hope those that do donate enjoy the game and what it has to offfer.

2016-05-01 02:42:48 (edited by daigonite 2016-05-01 02:43:42)

@Brad - I normally would agree but ultimately because accessibility mode is only a small portion of the game's development, and because the majority of people funding the game will be sighted people, I think it's fair to say that having a demo that leans more towards that demographic only makes sense. The way I'm designing the game is so that accessibility takes no less than a few extra days to implement. However, not all the features can be implemented at the moment because obtaining the necessary sounds would be either too expensive, lead me into legal trouble, or are too hard to just make myself at the moment. That's the reason why the game is lacking a lot of sound effects.

With proper investment these issues won't be too big of a deal, heck if I go decently over my goal I can just buy sound effects for accessible mode.

I'm not asking to donate; its not an obligation for you to donate or even play the game, but it just seems like you're bitter or something. That's all.

Anyways, Death, I'm updating the link with the bug fix.

2016-05-01 02:53:18 (edited by Xvordan 2016-05-01 03:06:04)

I think some of the contributors to this thread don't really understand the developmental and marketing aspects of designing and releasing a hopefully profitable, or at least even-margin game. I for one support Daigonite in her efforts. The reality is, the sighted demographic is bigger, so it would make sense for her to approach that market first -- it helps her amass funds and resources.

Lets be honest. How many kick starters targeted specifically for the audio gaming atmosphere have succeeded? I'm fairly sure I can count the number of successful campaigns on one hand, with five fingers left over. Given that kind of history, it's no wonder that Daigonite might not see the audio gaming community as a money tree.

Beyond that, there are plenty of games which were never made for blind players, but were just accidentally playable, or become playable with some degree of adaptation, and yet we happily spend money on them. I fail to see why Daigonite's effort should be considered any differently -- and in fact, her promise to integrate accessibility should instead urge you guys to donate to encourage her to make it a higher priority, rather than demoralize her into giving it up for a lost cause.

@Daigonit: Regarding your plans to make a separate version with accessibility features to be released aside from the Steam store, my recommendation is to stick to the steam layer, since you will already be releasing a product there. You can always tack on accessibility modifications as free DLC material. A Blind Legend being released on Steam has already paved the way for you, in signifying that even games for the blind market can be offered on that platform, there's no need for you to try to release a version of the game which will inevitably just be subject to further piracy.

Kai

Spill chuck you spots!

2016-05-01 03:23:08

Hello.

@xoren. In no way am I saying give up.

@daigonite I'm not bitter, far from it. I understand I'm not opligated to donate. I didn't mean to come across like that. All I meant was, hear are my reasons for not donating to this project. I put them hear so that you may learn something about how I think.

I also  told you how I think when it comes to big goals too. I don't see how that is bitter?

I'm sure the game is going to be great and that you will put all you can into it.