2016-04-27 02:28:11 (edited by daigonite 2016-04-27 02:30:28)

So I'm making a new game, and I'm approaching near the time of making a fully playable demo.

Here's a preview of it playing in accessible mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSlT-VUQHug

Website: http://color-chromodynamics.tumblr.com/ (current download is not accessible)

The game is a turn based RPG where everyone has a soul color, represented by HTML colors. By combining your party's soul colors, you get an aura, which actively affects your stats in battle.

All of the assets are made by me, including the visual ones. I plan on getting a kickstarter launched in the next week or two to try to start building funds.

Let me know what you guys think smile

Regarding Braillemon - Once the KS is up I will start going through the bug list.

you like those kinds of gays because they're gays made for straights

2016-04-27 06:24:27

This looks awesome, I look forward to it.

The universe is a rain storm. We are droplets sent to quench the problems of the world, yet we are blown sideways by the winds of distractions.

2016-04-27 08:17:51

Hi.
Wow, this sounds really awesome. I really like the music and sounds. I like how the music suddenly fades in, which sounds like it interacts with the world.
It would be really great if you could make NVDA support in the game. The colors sounds a bit confusing to me, but I think it'll make sense when trying the game.
Will the game be payed or free? I think it should be payed to support your great work, but that requires a good quallity to make the fully sighted people interested as well. But yeah, you of course know that. smile
I look very much forward to hear more about this, and I will donate for sure.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2016-04-27 08:59:25

I like the overall retro soundingness of this game and hope it gets off the ground.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2016-04-27 16:00:08

Hay Rachel.
A few questions.
1. what's your KS funding goal for this?
I'm going to donate, but wonder if ks is only going to let you do a month-long campaign, as I've seen a few that ran longer.
Depending on your goal, and if ks will let you, it might be a good idea to run it for a little longer than a month so you have a better chance of getting the funding you need.
2. I haven't been able to check out the youtube videos; and I'll do that once I get home tonight, but you said something about html colors.
being blind myself, I've never seen colors, and doubt I ever will.
My question is how this is all going to work for us people who've never understood colors.
Throughout my life, I've asked some sighted people about color and weather they could live without it; as that's the only way I can describe how I see the world with just light perseption, and they've all been generally horrified at the idea of not having color in the world.
I think this is a bold idea for a game concept, and hope it turns out well for you and all of us.
Later!

2016-04-27 16:04:31 (edited by daigonite 2016-04-27 16:17:04)

SLJ/threeblacknoises  - The colors are actually really easy when you get the hang of it.

Basically, color in HTML is represented by three values - Red, Green and Blue. These values range from 0-255 or 00-FF in hex.

So when you see #FFFFFF what that means is that it's the HTML color that correlates with Red = FF, Green = FF and Blue = FF.

This is explained in game but I skipped over the tutorial in the video.

Anyways, each character has a "soul color" that, in battle, all the colors of the characters on your team are combined into a single aura color. Depending on how close that color's Red, green and blue values are to either 00 or FF determines your stat changes.

So basically, you have three values that change between 00 and FF and you want them to be as close to 00 or FF as possible.

For sighted players, this is also represented visually as the color is drawn on the screen.

Regarding the campaign, the minimum is $16,000 (2000 to KS, 400 for licensing, around 1000 for the prizes and the rest on the development) and I plan on running for 45 days.

Can I ask you guys to show this to your sighted friends too? The video I linked doesn't have any graphics but the youtube channel has several videos in non-accessible mode for sighted players. That way we can get some opinions from them as well.

Regarding pricing, I'm estimating that I'll be selling the game for $15 on Steam. I'm going to see if I can release the accessible version separately on Audiogames.net, hopefully this shouldn't be a problem but if it is I'll work out another way to make sure I can get you guys the game.

2016-04-27 16:22:18

What systems will this be for? I'm surprised this hasn't been asked before.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2016-04-27 16:26:12

Accessible mode will only be available on PC due to the accessibility thing being platform specific, but other versions of the regular game may be on mobile and possibly PS4/Xbox depending on how much I manage to fund.

2016-04-27 19:02:05

Can't wait 'til the game comes out. The concept sounds pretty unique; I've never heard of anything like it.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2016-04-27 19:38:04

Is there a way you can still show the graphics while accesible mode is active? Want to stream this on twitch and this will be a great way to get sighted interaction.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2016-04-27 20:28:52

stirlock wrote:

Is there a way you can still show the graphics while accesible mode is active? Want to stream this on twitch and this will be a great way to get sighted interaction.

I could, only reason why I turned off graphics for accessible mode is because the combination of the graphics and tts can slow down things quite a bit. However, I can implement a graphical accessible mode for streaming purposes.

2016-04-27 20:38:48

Awesome. This looks really good, the color system sounds a bit confusing but after using it in practice I'm sure I'll understand it.

2016-04-27 20:52:25

If you will add a support for screenreaders, it shouldnt be a problem and graphic can be turned on.
I hate sapi and I want to see this in this game.
Nice job woman, I love playing braillemon and I think, that it will also great.
I like 8 bit sounds and i think that I will play that, I am waiting for demo accessible for us.

2016-04-28 06:57:07

Well, another nise job, Rachel tongue
I'll be waiting for the next accessible version for us tongue

Respecting the distribution platform for the game, hmmm. For the pc version, are you thinking to have two separated builds? One accessible and the other not?  Why not put in one game both versions, and the accessible mode is a simply configuration flag?
In my case, I'll love if you can distribute the game through steam, but with the accessibility features. including screen reader support tongue

Well, good job; waiting for more updates!

2016-04-28 08:35:39

Hi Rachel.
Sounds fantastic. I agree that it would be awesome to have the accessibility features build into the game, so you don't need to make multiple versions. I agree that screenreader support would be a really good thing.
Wow... Having the game on the consoles would be the dream for me, and it would seriously bring accessible gaming up to a whole new standard, if you can make it accessible on the consoles as well.
Long time ago, I read about a TTS API for the consoles, but now when I need it, I can't find it...
I think it would be pretty easy to make this kind of game accessible on the consoles as well. The text can be converted to sound files by a tts, and it can be played when the text scrolls down the screen. You can make it like the Japanese games, where a bit of text comes up, and you need to press a button for the next part. Then, a sound file reading the text could be played, if the accessibility mode is turned on. The menus can be read as well if sound files are used.
If you will make console versions as well, Playstation, Xbox and maybe Nintendo, I'll donate 400 dollars...

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2016-04-28 18:17:22

@Sandslash - There is a config file currently that you can toggle between accessible and force graphic modes. If you have accessible and forced graphics, it activates both graphics and accessibility for streaming purposes.

@ SLJ - The problem with porting the TTS engine to consoles is that I don't know what they support.

Currently I'm coding it in Game Maker for fast implementation, and while it can export to PS4/XBox, I don't know if Game maker can currently utilize the libraries necessary to make it talk. In addition, I don't even know if those libraries are good enough for what I need.

I could utilize a custom tts library but again the problem of using it in the game comes up.

If I manage to take off with this game I might get it ported in a more portable language and go from there. But yeah.

Although, to be honest, I don't see the point in getting a console for one game... lol

2016-04-28 21:26:47

Hay Rachel, is their a way we can add those lines to the current file to make it playable?
If not, how long until we can?
Later!

2016-04-28 21:38:14

Well, many of us have started getting the newer consoles, so we're not getting a console for one game :d.

2016-04-28 21:51:35

Rachel
I'm happy you're doing a game but it is kind of insulting to base a game for the blind on colors that many of us can't see.
It would be like doing a game for the deaf based on sounds.
I would be happier if you based it on something like chemical elements, going from hydrogen to uranium.
or sound frequencies so each of your party would have to reach the same tone.

2016-04-28 22:37:00 (edited by daigonite 2016-04-28 22:38:21)

threeblacknoises - Yep you'll just need to edit the config file. I'm still weeding out bugs though.

stirlock - I misinterpreted SLJ's post, he sounded like he wanted it exclusively for those systems. Honestly I don't know much about accessibility for consoles since I don't know much about consoles lol

Phil, I'm creating this game as a game for everyone, not a game exclusively for the blind. I'm adding accessibility features because I have built a following of fans here and quite frankly I think that not allowing my fans to play a game because of its thematic elements is not only childish but quite frankly a lot more insulting than making a game based on colors for the blind.

But if anything, you're the one who's being insulting... Colors are used as a thematic element to express a wide variety of abstract ideas with people and society in the story. I chose colors because they have arbitrary meaning to blind people, but have assigned meaning to sighted people, and thus conveying the idea that ultimately the value that we assign to these things are personal value based on our own experiences. Chemical elements have assigned meaning to people (especially things like iron symbolizing industry or uranium symbolizing nuclear energy). In terms of accessibility, the game itself states that the numeric values of red, green and blue (so basically HTML color values) so handling the values won't be a problem. Don't you think you're insulting the intelligence and capabilities of blind people yourself?

And really... there is no requirement for you to play or support the game at all. *shrug*

2016-04-29 00:39:11 (edited by sneak 2016-04-29 00:41:45)

I'm blind, and my favorite colors are Green, pink and black.
Just because you don't see them, and you may never see them doesn't mean they don't exist, or that you shouldn't learn about them. Saying you don't want to play a game based on colors because you're blind is insulting to everybody involved. Rachel is expressing her idea in a way that is accessible for the blind, which going for it and making a piece of art that others can enjoy is commendable, but on top of that she's going the extra mile and making sure it's available for us to experience as well. You’re saying that you find her offensive, I estimate that you’re alone in this opinion. I for one am glad that she’s making it based around colors. There’s even an accessible paint program that I, and I'm sure many others, find very fun to use.
Don’t be ignorant.

The universe is a rain storm. We are droplets sent to quench the problems of the world, yet we are blown sideways by the winds of distractions.

2016-04-29 00:44:04

Hello. How do I make the game demo accessible?

I've opened the options.INI file but can't see anything about accessibility in it.

I'm gone for real :)

2016-04-29 01:24:04

brad wrote:

Hello. How do I make the game demo accessible?

I've opened the options.INI file but can't see anything about accessibility in it.

Current demo is not accessible, sorry. I said that in the OP. I won't have the full demo out until next week.

2016-04-29 03:10:14

I tried to write a response, but couldn't do it without writing a novella on everything about color.
So instead, I'll say that, as someone who has spent an unusual amount of time playing with the colors.ini file that came with Jaws and keeps trying to make animations even though I can't check my work, I like this idea and intend to give it a try when it's complete! big_smile

(There are lots of ways to encode colors, and RGB is the most popular, since, for some complex math reason, you can combine red/green/blue light to get most of the visible spectrum, which was the cheapest way to get CRT displays to work, and cheap-and-simple caught on. The way the eye detects color is completely different, and the more I think about it, the more I feel like it explains about how different languages and cultures approach colors, the warm/cool/neutral categories that never really seemed all that important to me before an hour ago, why certain color schemes are apparently painful to read, etc. thinking about this has given me a better idea of how to explain the difference between color and sound, but I doubt this would help anyone who hasn't experienced color understand it any better. sad )

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2016-04-29 07:31:56

daigonite wrote:

So I'm making a new game, and I'm approaching near the time of making a fully playable demo.

Here's a preview of it playing in accessible mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSlT-VUQHug

Website: http://color-chromodynamics.tumblr.com/ (current download is not accessible)

The game is a turn based RPG where everyone has a soul color, represented by HTML colors. By combining your party's soul colors, you get an aura, which actively affects your stats in battle.

All of the assets are made by me, including the visual ones. I plan on getting a kickstarter launched in the next week or two to try to start building funds.

Let me know what you guys think smile

Regarding Braillemon - Once the KS is up I will start going through the bug list.

Hello,

I am just going to say, cudos to you, for even caring about blind people. Not many developers really give a care about making mainstream games that are for the sighted accessible, so thumbs up to you, hugs.

Keep up the excellent work, and don't let anyone get ya down.

big_smile

Portia.