2016-04-18 03:38:42

you know, I was just sitting here thinking how cool it would be to have an audio-based city builder like city skylines or maybe anno 2205 which is a futuristic city builder. I know that I can't build anything like I'm thinking myself because as you all know I can't code my way through a home security system but it would be so cool if one of you out there who is considerably more brilliant than I am would put something like this together. I'd like to see more simulation type games like this out there and I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. I'd also like to see an audio-based virtual world too. I know we've got survive the wild, but I'd love to see an ongoing one that's a medieval virtual world that's level less and classless where you could basically pick and choose the skills and abilities you wanted to learn. Would you like to be a martial artist able to fight with your hands and feet just as well as with any weapon? maybe you'd like to combine those martial arts skills with powerful magic perhaps. Maybe you'd like to do all of that but also like to be able to use the sword or some other type of melee weapon. Well you could do that in this virtual world. Here again, I'm not trying to build things like this myself, I'm just thinking out loud here. Let's have a discussion about this. I just figure that since no one else seems to be willing to make us an accessible city builder then gosh darn it, maybe we'll just have to deal with the problem ourselves. Have a wonderful day my friends and I hope to hear from you soon.

2016-04-18 04:45:44

Hello Karate25.
Well here's my peace of advice talk to aprone. Aprone, danny, or Cae_Jones are the only ones I believe who have the ability and talent to do something like this. I don't know if you were around when this happened but somebody asked aprone to make an accessible version of a final fantasy mini-game called tripple triade. He had a working version in two or three days if I remember correctly. I haven't play tripple triade in a while but last time I did it was amazing.
That said I too would love to see a city builder or an open-world game. As someone who has tried many times and failed at coding I know this kind of project is huge. I don't know how the mainstream city building games work but an audio version could be turn-based as you deal with events and problems.
An open world game where you choose your skills would be amazing. Very hard to make but very fun to play. What we need is a dedicated team you can work together nicely to maoe this kind of game. Get a couple of people like kai (sorry if I spelled that wrong), and other sound designers working on quality sounds for multiple aspects of the game from footsteps to weapon and enemy sounds. Working with them we need a team of talented coders let's say aprone, danny, samtupy, Cae_Jones, others to work on the coding aspects of the game. I say from experience if you can get a team who are friends, work well together, and enjoy the work you can really get quality work from them. Story would be good in an open-world game too. I don't mean to brag but I'm an experienced writer and if something like this ever got off the ground I would love to contribute in some way. Having a back story, character stories, and a main story to run throught the game will give the game more replay value.
Well that's enough rambling for me. Karate25, these games are very possible to make the problem is there has been no one who has attempted to make one yet.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2016-04-19 00:33:19

I agree, Aprone's who you need to talk to, but he's got swamp plus now this castaways beta so its not likely he would have the time. But I've seen the stuff he does, and how in depth he goes with sim type aspects and if he ever did decide to undertake a project like this, I've no doubt it would be cool.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2016-04-19 01:55:38

I'm glad to see some pretty good interest in this so far, I figured you guys would love stuff like this and for guitarman, city builders are usually in real time and not turn-based like a board game. Hey Aprone, if you're willing to help me tackle this kind of project, I'd love to have you on board. Remember, I can't code my way through a home security system so I wouldn't be able to help in any way with that but I could help come up with storylines and things along with guitarman. In fact, we could have it so that you could trade resources with each other and their cities and ship them to each other. As far as the virtual world, that can wait awhile because I would at least like to see a good city builder come out first and formost.

2016-04-19 05:49:16

It depends, there are other empire style games like Civilization, Colonization, and Masters of Magic that are turn based as opposed to real time like Sim City and such. What sort of interface would you have in mind? Something like the top down interface in Towers of War?

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2016-04-19 11:15:28

Actually KArate, Castaways 2 is very much going the way you describe with real time building. It's medeival in setting and at the moment Aprone has this hole competitive multiplayer going, but I think when he gets around to the single player we'll see far more aspects of the sort of game you mention, even if in a different setting.
I'd love a single player city building game, my brother used to love sim city back on the Snes, and I always fancied that, but I don't think it's long before we get one.

Btw, while we're talking about this style of game, also don't forget parkboss from Nick Adamson, sinse that is an awesome game, and again, while not exactly a city builder does have the groundwork for the aspects of game you would need to make one, it actually wouldn't surprise me if we see an audio city builder pretty soon, that is if castaways 2 doesn't get there first.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-04-19 15:58:50

I would like to see something in the realms of simcity, where you have to be concerned with not only building roads and such that make traffic flow a problem to be solved, and have to also be concerned with balancing residents, commercial and industry just like simcity.You could set taxes and make city wide ordinances as well, that would make a good game. So you get to plan it out how you want it to, solve transportation issues by creating a bus depot and putting down bus stops and creating routes. trains and trams as well, and even park and ride places. The more complex the happier I am, I love simulation style games.

End racism
End division
Become united

2016-04-20 02:23:49

you know dark, that makes sense exactly and I was thinking along the same lines as the park boss mechanics. I have that game and love it and the same mechanics could be used to build our city building game. For example, rather than the zones as in park boss, you could have the game unlock a districts feature in which you could separate your city into differing districts should you wish. Ironcross I also thoroughly enjoy your suggestions as well and was thinking the same thing about the different aspects you had outlined. I can tell that this is going to be an extremely fun discussion.

2016-04-20 16:13:42

Yeah, but I suspect little to nothing will come from it, just theoretical.

End racism
End division
Become united

2016-04-20 20:50:33

Well it's a type of game we've not had yet and this is certainly not the first request, however as I said I'm interested to see where castaways 2 goes, particularly sinse builds are getting more and more complex and I suspect at least a medeival type of city might occur later.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-04-21 23:33:10

This sounds something i'd be so totally intrested in making. I think I might be able to do a really good job with something like this. I saw the topic earlier today, and thought of ideas already. I am thinking of calling it citylife. You start with this huge empty plot of land and you get to turn it into things, add sport areas, partner with companies to get certain stores in your city, and kind of like park boss you'd have a general oface/management area. And basicly every so often, you can send out a letter to your residents mailboxxes seeing what they wanted done. If you had hardly any internet providers that were good, or your charging to much city taxes, or they have to go quite a ways to get gass for there cars, or they can never go out to eat because it's far away and they have to drive all that distance, all sorts of things, your residents won't be very happy with you. The longer you ignore peoples requests, the more your popularity goes down. Popularity? Yes, this is going to be slightly multiplayer. There will also be single player whare you can just build a city on your own. But basicly you'd be able to partner with other cities and you could cell anything you make such as farming goods or anything like that and ship it to other cities that have been created on the game. You'd have to constantly monitor requests for houseland etc. You'll have to get some sort of police force, or your chrime rate will go way up and the only people that will be left are a bunch of crooks who will start tearing your city apart, smashing it's corperate buildings, trashing stores, etc. You could also go visit other peoples cities if you made yours on the server. Tell me what yall think? I plan on starting this project anyways because the idea of a game like that actually sounds extremely cool and I wanna take on the challenge of making something enjoyable, but do you guys think I should really pursue this?

I am a web designer, and a game developer. If you wish see me at http://www.samtupy.com

2016-04-22 04:04:17

Hi Samtupy.
All your ideas sound awesome. I think this is something worth pursuing from what I've seen you definitley have the skill especially pulling off survive the wild. Plus if you finished the game you would go down in audiogames history as building the first accessible city builder.
I have just a few things to suggest. First popularity is great but maybe also give the ability to talk to people who live in the city and see what they think about what your doing in the city. This would be hard if you were using voice actors but you can use tts voices to represent the people in yrur city. This will save you a lot of time in the long run. Next you could have crime rates rise in the city you create a police force but let's say new problems rise with creating the police force like officers beating crooks or becoming crooks themselves or things like that. You could also have people try to assassinate you and take over your city this could either be players on multiplayer or npcs in the game itself. Another cool thing would be to make tourist attractions for your city to attract more people. On the other hand if you didn't want tourists in your city you just leave out tourist attractions like theme parks and such. However the people might get upset that there aren't things like theme parks in their city.
Well that's all I've got. Please don't misunderstand I'm not trying to tell you what to do just throwing suggestions out there.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.

2016-04-22 17:01:09

Hmmmm. A city sim would be interesting in deed. I wonder how much of it can be BGT. I suspict that one would want to use C++ or something else that will allow the creater of such a game to maximize use of computer resources. After all, we do not want the game to slow down the more we build. Yes, I would love to see something like this.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2016-04-22 17:33:00

CW, as long as the programmer knows what they are doing, it wouldn't matter what language they used.  The speed/performance differences between languages does exist to some degree, but it is mostly myth on modern computers and for the types of projects we're talking about in the audio game community.  I think this city sim idea could be turned into a game by many of the developers we have floating around, so hopefully we'll see someone do it!  big_smile  I wouldn't want any potential builder of this game to pass on the project based on their preferred language.  They would just need to be efficient with how they laid out the game logic.  If their game loops through a huge 2D array of the city 10 times per second, just to find and check some rarely-changing condition for the 2 police stations, then it is a poor design that is wasting tons of resources.  In extreme cases like that, someone might notice a difference between languages, but on modern computers even a mistake like this could go unnoticed.

Skimming back through my post, I hope it isn't viewed as taking things off topic.  I can see now how it might cause undesirable side-conversations, but I'm not sure I want to delete and rewrite it.  tongue

I always enjoyed the old sim city games and really do hope someone jumps in to tackle karate's idea.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2016-04-24 06:11:14

I think we are getting closer and closer to a game like this.
If you happen to have Leasey, the software that works with Jaws, they have a game module, which has a farm building game. It's the first one of its kind that I've seen.
So a city-building game may not be far off.

2016-04-24 22:39:29

The source code for the original Sim City was realeased back in 2008 under a GPLv3 licsense, and for legal reasons renamed Micropolis. If anyones interested you can find it and the source code over here.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2016-04-25 02:19:43

Hi.
That's really cool. I wish I could code I'd jump right on this. I wonder why they would release the source after all these years? Now if only they would just release some mortal kombat source code lol.

Guitarman.

2016-04-25 03:14:03

oh my goodness! I can see I've started one hek of a discussion here, and Sam I absolutely love your ideas for this project, I was thinking along those same lines and I'm glad to see we're on the same page. Since I've got you on Skype, would you like to discuss this a little further? let me know. Have a wonderful day. Another feature I'd like to suggest is to have the ability to walk through your city as you can do in park boss. I especially enjoy your ideas of being able to visit other player's cities and being able to ship items back and forth to them as well. Have a wonderful day everyone and let's keep this awesome conversation flowing man this is so much fun!!

2016-04-25 07:12:11

Hey Sam tupy post 11,
I totally like your idea!
Your skills are greate, ispecially with STW, and i can't wait for redspot here...
Sounds cool!