2016-03-31 18:08:09

MODERATION:

It seems that certain individuals on this forum are either unaware of or are absolutely determined to flout the moderation ruling that no UltraPower clone or derivative be announced, by repeatedly posting new announcements. This topic serves as the official warning against this behaviour. I'll stick it on the New Releases Room, so anybody tempted to violate the rule again has a good chance of seeing it.

There will be no unauthorised UltraPower clones. UltraPower is discontinued. Mason Armstrong, who announced it, is clear that derivatives of his source code are unauthorised, until further notice. Regardless of your opinion of UltraPower or its author or the circumstances of the source code release, this forum respects developer time and energy, and we therefore feel that it is in the best interest and spirit of this community to honour Mason's wishes that his work, which he put substantial time and effort into, not be distributed further.

Accordingly, the following rule holds official weight as of the moment of its appearance on this forum: if you distribute or announce UltraPower clones by means of this forum, then you will be smacked for six weeks. Every repeat offence will result in an exponentially severe banishment, so that if you violate it three times, you will be banned for six months. Exceptions will be made on a case by case basis in the event that a poster is unaware of this ruling; for the avoidance of doubt, posting in the New Releases Room exempts you from this exception.

I will be coordinating with the other moderators to see if we need to institute a more permanent, general-purpose rule for dealing with this particular kind of problem, which I regret we have not yet done, and for which the other official rules don't adequately serve. This ruling will serve in the meantime. I ask anybody seeing violators to report them, as some have already been doing, and we can begin the tireless (but not entirely thankless) process of smacking offenders. I apologise to Mason for not having acted on this sooner.

Thank you, everybody, for your cooperation and understanding.

Just myself, as usual.