2008-11-24 22:59:30

Just to anyone who enjoyed earthcore and ansestor, I checked Scot Siglers page today and infected seems to be complete hurrah!

Parasites and zombies and fun await.

've been holding off on reading this one until it was finally finsihed, so I'm glad it is.

To anyone interested it can be found at http://podiobooks.com/title/infected

Oh, and as the man says on the start of each chapter, ---- it contains adult language and situations and lots and lots! of violence (he sounds really pleased about that for some reason).

Oh, and as a bonus the darker projects site seems to be behaving now, ---- which is cool!

they've started a new line in zombie stories which are sort of fun.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-11-25 10:24:48

Wow. Thanks for the information. Sounds really nice.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2008-11-25 22:24:26

Well, after less than 24 hours I've finished the thing, and except for a brief run raround the uni for admin reasons this morning it's been pretty much non stop.

Deffinately a good read, though I wish the ending had been a litle more conclusive.

Oh, ---- and for anyone thinking of reading this the Lots! of violence isn't a joke, ----- and I mean reeeeeealy serious gore here.

I even found a few scenes moderately disturbing myself, and I have a pretty strong stomach for blood and guts.

I'd deffinately suggest caution on this one, ---- probably even worse than Scot Sigler's other stuff I think.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-11-30 03:22:33

Seconded, I balked near the end. Personally I favour the other current story Nocturnal which is pretty darn excellent, and this Crypt thing is sounding interesting too. You have to hear Nocturnal if only for Pookey Chang#'s sense of humour, and the fortune teller with Turette's syndrome (supposedly).

He has one twisted sense of humour.

Oh, and he has already completed the sequel to Infected as demanded by his
publisher I believe. Called Contageous. Also a film version of Infected seems to be in the works.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-11-30 07:59:53

Ouch, that would be worrying.

I really neede to either remember my password or just reregister on scot sigler's site so that I can pick up his newer stuff.

The gore in infected actually almost verged on the ludicrous in places I thought, though the self-mutilation was just plane scary. In a way that was part of the fascination. I would really like a sequal though, sinse answering the questions about the parasites just didn't go anywhere. While I know earthcore Ii is in the works, it seemed that the first book actually pretty much gave you ll the explanation, not really leaving much for a sequal to do in a way.

2008-11-30 15:04:54

they're already  doing preorders for Contageous so it won't be long. You also don't need to register to download his stuff.

As to Earthcore, there were hints dropped aabout there being at least one other site with similar cave drawings as the site where the alien ship was, and I believe that is where the sequel will be set. I believe it involves a team sent to clean out the second ship.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-11-30 15:53:29

I've heard the promo of the prologue of earthcore Ii in his Bloodcast season, and that did indeed seem to be the plot, and I do remember the hints about the other mountain with cave drawing.

The only thing is, there weren't really any extra questions about the aliens from Earthcore which i was wondering about, and the mystery factor of what was actually going on in earthcore seemed one of the main drives for the plot I thought.

Stil, we'll see if Scot Sigler can pull anything different out of his brain for the sequal.

Thus far I've only concentrated on his completed stuff, rather than his episodic stuff, ----- which probably isn't quite as clever, hence why I've only now just finished infected.

2008-11-30 21:56:47

Well with the exception of the Bloodcast all the stuff seems to be developed in a similar way, it's just the older stuff on Podiobooks has been put together in such a way that removes his news updates on the progress. Sometimes those are as good as the actual podcast laugh.

Nocturnal so far has been a very strong story, the main difference from Earthcore and Ancestor being that it is set in a city and not in some isolated location. The crypt is also proving interesting while being in yet another entirely different environment, this being a sci fi full scale war.

cx2
-----

2008-12-01 00:13:44

Scot Sigler Scifi does indeed sound nice. He does mention the Rukie, but the write up suggested that was a bit to americano-centric, ie, about American football to really be worth reading for people in other countries not familiar with the sport.

Presumably Nocternal etc has links on his blog page?

Btw Cx2, I don't know if you were a fan of Knightmare, the 80's and 90's itv game show with graphics, and a team guiding a dungeoneer through various rooms and D&D esque dungeon puzles, but there's some interesting fan stuff for that, ----- including game books etc, and a rather cool audio drama series (I think the fellow who plays Lord Fear is dead on, though traigard just seems far too gruff imho).

I think looking at the fan forum, an audio engine to create a new playable knightmare audiogame would go down very well with the fans, ---- but that probably would require it's own thread.

anyhow, you can find said audio series at http://www.kmramdram.co.uk/ Though of course knowing the knightmare characters and some of the world does actually help.

2008-12-01 01:24:57

Yes there are links to Nocturnal on his blog. In fact there is only one more episode to go to the end, with the last being episode 37. There is also an episode of the Crypt up there too, which has been more getting characters in place with short stories of how the people came to be on board the ship. In almost all cases the poor individuals got shafted in one way or another.

I'll have to check out the Knightmare thing, I can actually remember that. I was lucky enough to have my sight at the time, and I believe Challenge reran it a few years back which my sister watched out of interest. I didn't realise until then how... ifemmenite that guy pretending to be an elf was.

cx2
-----

2008-12-01 06:25:41

cool, I'll check out nocturnal. I was a knightmare fan from about the age of 6 onwards, and watched all of it, apparently it was the most watched thing on challenge, which wasn't surprising given the level of acting.

My first thought reguarding pickle is stil the one I had at about the age of eight when I first saw him, ------ my God he reminds me of golum! Obviously lacking the insanity, but the creepiness is deffinately there.

2008-12-07 17:17:46

O deer lord. This has to be the second most disgusting thing I

The eyes, unfortunately, are not the windows to the soul. They are, however, the windows to deception. Trust not what your eyes see, for they can be easily fooled.

2008-12-07 18:40:54

Yes, it's one of those things that's so fascinatingly horrific you just can't drag yourself away, lol!

I've just started on Klango, and happen to notice that none of Scot Siglers stuff is in the catalogue, the problem is if I introduce that to the catalogue, people will think i'm some amazingly sick, blood and pain crazy psyco!

One serious point though, I actually thought the gore in several sigler novels was getting to a level where it ceased to be grittily realistic and went into the realmst of splatter fest commic.

By the end of infected there were bits i was having trouble taking completely seriously.

While as I said, gore is never a put off in books for me (unlike certain other things), I did rather think Sigler had gone out of his way to be overly shocking in places.

2008-12-08 20:59:45

Quite probable, I think that is where he was aiming with Infected. Incidentally I hear he has started posting Contageous.

He also said Nocturnal 37 would be the end, but now he's on 38. He is now promising 39 will be the end and 40 the epilogue, which sounds reasonable but you just never know. The gore in Nocturnal can be a little splatter in places, though a lot of the characters involved either die or have especially and unnaturally tough constitutions.

cx2
-----