2016-02-09 19:56:56

Hello,
Thanks for all of your responses. Regarding specific situations believe it or not, nothing's really coming to mind, but another topic has definitely entered it: what about actually making a bed (changing the pillows and such)? Right now I just straighten out the quilt every day when I wake up, but I know that eventually I'll have to know how to actually change the bedclothes. When I tried this in the past it got to a point where I could sort of get the pillow half way out of the case then I would try to shake it the rest of the way out and not much would happen.

2016-02-10 11:28:16

Most pillow cases don't have the opening exactly at one end, usually you have to push the pillow inn and then fold the top corners over to get it in right, so when  removing it you need to put your hands inside the fpillow case, find the top corners of the pillow and extracate them through the slot before you move to the bottom of the pillowcase and pull the thing off.

Getting pillow cases on is virtually the same process in reverse, stuff the bottom of the pillow in the case then either stick in your hands and grab the two bottom corners and pull down, or just shake (though shaking is a little imprecise if you don't have pillow situated).
Duvet covers are a hole other sort of fun and there are innumerable ways of putting them on. The best way I've found is to turn the cover inside out and lay the duvet itself in front of you with it's bottom corners towards you. Then put your arms through the cover so your hands are at the two bottom corners, reach forward and grab the bottom corners of the duvet itself then bend your elbows quite vigorously. you can usually get the cover half on this way and it's only necessary to pull it up the rest of the way, though you might have to put your hands inside and streighten the thing up.

You can get sheets with elasticated corners which are really easy to put on sinse you just stick the corners over the mattress rather than worrying about too much folding.

In terms of bed making, generally if you just streighten up each day that's okay, but obviously when you've done the laundry and washed all the bedding it's necessary to make the bed afterwards.

Hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-02-10 12:36:30

Hi again,
@Dark, I agree whole heartedly. Bumpons have always been one of those things I've found really useful.
As for bed making, I too use that method for the duvet cover. I don't think bed making's ever going to be fun, but it's useful to know how to do it and if you practice it often enough, it can become quite a quick process.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2016-02-11 02:57:15

Maybe you guys have different pillow cases. I can just grab hold of the pillow with one hand and yank viggerously until it comes out of the case. Our cases are totally open at one end. We have pillow shams which have a single vertical slit up the back. Those we use more for the top decorative pillows. I sort of reach in, grab one side of the pillow, scrunch it up, aim my hand out of the slit, and yank, still holding onto the case with one hand.
In this case, I'm holding the opposite end from all my grabbing and pulling. It might help to grip more like the front of the case as you pull out the back.

I can't imagine ever trying to put a duvet back in its cover. You guys can keep those. When I make the bed, I do a lot of walking from one side to the other and back again. I don't know how your guys' bedding differs from ours. We have a bottom fitted sheet with elastic around the corners. That one's easy. Just pull it down as taught as you can and tuck the corners and sides under. Do one corner at a time and get it nice and snug before moving on.
Then we have the flat sheet, the one we sleep under. I find the tag, then find the nearest next corner. That's how I know whether I've got the bottom or side. I'll stand at the long side and flip the sheet out over the bed, spreading it on. I keep my hands far apart so I can get it laid down flat and spread out. Don't get too crazy with flipping it high, else you'll take out the ceiling fan. I'll pull it up about half way up the pillows, then go around smoothing it down, make sure both sides are sort of even, then tuck the bottom under the matress. Rinse and repeat for the rest of the bedding. I'll run my hands over each thing I put on, making sure the wrinkles are gone. I only tuck in the bottom of the bed and just around the bottom corners.

Sugar and spice, and everything ....

2016-02-11 15:21:36

@Cinnamon, yepk, duvets and duvet covers are much more an English, and european thing I think. You only see beds with over sheets, blankets, comforters etc them over hear in hotels. It was one of the things i noticed when I stayed with my lady and her sister in pencilvania for christmas.

The advantage of the duvet is it's much more cumfy and tends not to ruck up half as much, there's no waking up in a tangled mess of bedding. the disadvantage of course is you can't throw back one layer when it's hot or put on an extra when cold, though at that point someone would probably go and get a sheet to sleep under in summer or stick a blanket over the top of the duvet in winter.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-02-16 06:43:51

I'm too lazy to read all the other 30 posts, so I'm just going to jump in.

#1, you're clearly pretty good at using the computer, and your english isn't bad, which are both great qualities.

#2, you could try folding your bank notes in certain ways. For example, when Canada had paper money, I'd fold my 5s widthwise, my 10s lengthwise, and my 20s twice lengthwise. This did mean I needed to first ask somebody which bill was which, but once I did that, I was good. Now that Canada has plastic bank notes, the braille stays on them very well, so I just use the braille.

#3 for credit card numbers, you could write it in braille. this has the advantage of being incomprehenseble to most people, and if you lose it, the braille will probably fade quickly, depending on where you lose it. Personally, I just took some time to memorise mine.

2016-02-16 06:46:20

For buttering bread, I just use a knife to slice off the butter, then use my fingers. I'm a very sloppy cook. tongue

2016-02-18 07:31:43 (edited by Figment 2016-02-18 08:07:28)

I live in the US, because all our paper money is the same size, we have to use folding the bills a specific way for each bill denomination. I've heard that in a couple of years, they will start embossing the bills with brail like dots for the blind. That might work for new bills, but I've found some bills that have been circulating for a while that were so soft I doubt they'd hold the dots, so some other form of bill identification will probably always be needed.

Folding works quite well, but you need to know what the bill is before you can fold it. I used LookTel's Money Identifier on my iPhone until the . Bureau of Engraving and Printing, the part of our government responsible for our paper money, release a device called I-bill. It's a small device that I keep on my keychain that identifies our paper money. It's free to any one who is registered as legally blind.

I also agree with everyone else that a debit card is the way to go, but I've taken it a step further. I don't know if this applies to the UK, but here in the US debit cards look just like a credit card. This is so you can use them at places that only accept credit cards, especially web sites like Amazon, but they still act like a debit card in that the purchase you just charged to your card comes out of your account. So I memorized the card number, expiration date, and the verification code. That makes using my debit card to make online purchases easy.

Unless you really want it, financial advisors say that you should tell your bank that you do not want over draft protection on the card. What this does is cause purchases to be declined if there isn't enough money in your account to cover it. Banks here were paying slight overdrafts and then charging very high fees for doing it. So that $30 pair of shoes you just bought that overdrew your account by a couple of dollars, could endup costing you over $100 in fees. Our government now requires that banks give you the option of how you want over charges to be delt with.

One of the things I find I need most often is to be able to identify products in the kitchen, especially if they are in similar packages. I first started using an app called Red Laser, but it doesn't work under iOS 9 and the developer hasn't updated it in a long time. So then I tried to use Digit Eyes but found its bar code scanner too slow to be practicle for blind users who may not know where the bar code is. My temporary solution was to use Red Laser to find the bar code, then switch to Digit Eyes to identify the product. But having to switch back and forth between the two apps got annoying. So I gave up on using a smart phone app to scan bar codes to identify products and now use an ID Mate Quest from EnVision America, its pricey at $1300 but so far has proven so useful that I use it every day so I consider it worth the cost.

For reading paper mail, I started off using an OCR program with a word processor but was very unhappy with the results. So I tried Freedom Scientific's Open Book. It produced excellent results and was far easier to use than the word processor & OCR program combination was, so that is what I use now.

For transportation, it depends. For trips longer than five miles I use the handicapped transportation service provide by city bus service. The fare is a flat $4 each way regardless of the distance, but there are restrictions. The first is that your home and your destination have to be within three quarters of a mile from any of the city bus routes and they only operate when the buses do, and the buses here run from 6AM to 10PM. You also have to call them 24 hours in advance to request your trip so you need to know when you'll be returning. So I find that service not as useful as I would have liked.

Most of my trips are short, under five miles, so I just use taxis.

I've heard of services like Uber and Lift. My problem with them is, unlike taxis which are regulated and the drivers are specifically licensed to be taxi drivers,services like Uber and Lift are unregulated and the only requirement needed to be a driver is a valid driver's license and a vehicle. With that in mind you may as well stand by a road and stick your thumb out. No thank you.

I guess everyone's experience is different, I find I have no problem making my bed regardless of whether it's just slept in or needs to have the sheets put on.

Make things easier for you, get fitted sheets, these are the sheets with elastic corners. At least that will make putting the bottom sheet on easier. Unfortunately there's no help like that for the top sheet and blankets.

Because of funding cuts, I wasn't able to take the cooking class at the rehabilitation center I went to so I'm slowly relearning how to cook. For now though, most of my cooking is just buying prepared foods and heating it as necessary. When I'm pouring a cold drink, such as milk, I just hook a finger over the rim of the glass. For hot drinks, like coffee, I use an electronic liquid level indicator that starts beeping when the liquid gets to within an inch of the rim.

2016-02-18 09:16:18

Braille won't work on paper money. You're correct that it faides too fast. That is why I didn't use it until Canada adopted plastic money.

2016-02-18 14:05:31

Overdraft protection does exist in the Uk, but you also need to talk to your bank about options if your likely to get an overdraft, however this is another reason I prefer to use my credit card and transfer sinse then I can always see what I've used and how much when I transfer the cash for whatever I've bought on my credit card out of my current account.

Transport in the Us is indeed more of a pest generally than in the Uk, sinse in the Uk each city has major train lines all of which announce stops and all of which can have assistance booked (which will help you find connections at unfamiliar stations). This also goes for some large cities like London and Newcastle that have underground systems, though taxies also work provided you check with the firm in avance what your paying as sometimes you can get royally screwed by cabs who overcharge to hell (station cabs, ie, taxies just outside train stations are dreadful for this).

Busses are fairly good in the Uk mostly, but there is the problem that most don't have announcements of stops, or if they do, it's only a couple of companies that operate through different stops (which makes the announcements effectively useless sinse your not going to hop on a random bus and risk there being no way of knowing where you are). Also asking the driver can sometimes work but I've been known to end up in the middle of elsewhere, so usually unless I'm actually going to the bus terminus I try to avoid busses, at least until the stupid government makes announcements manditory (guide dogs association are campaigning on that right now).

i'll say transport is one of the major reasons why my lady and by extention myself want to live perminantly in the Uk and not in the Us.

2016-02-18 20:40:13

I was floored when I heard that banks were allowing debit cards to overdraft your account, I had always thought that any charge to the debit card that would overdraw the account would be declined. I mean isn't that the whole idea behind debit cards?

Besides, in my opinion, needing overdraft protection just shows that you aren't very responsible in your spending habits.

I have thought about getting a credit card for use online, primarily to put a shield between my money and any one that might decide to grab my debit card information. But I've always been careful who I give my debit card information to and so have never had any identity theft problems.

Here in the US taxi fares are regulated so all the taxi cab companies charge the same rates. So what distinguishes one cab company from the other is the services provided and the quality of the service.

Cabbies aren't allowed to refuse a fare, where I've heard plenty of stories from Uber and Lift users about calling for a ride and being refused by the driver that shows up for a variety of reasons from not wanting to go to the requested destination to not liking the way the person looks. There is the story of a well known rap singer that an Uber driver refused to give a ride to because he was black.

Public transportation is usually good, but the farther away you are from the downtown areas the thinner the coverage is. While I lived in downtown Chicago, the public transportation was great, buses were everywhere with bus stops on every other block, there were also the commuter trains and you could get a cab just by standing on a corner and waving to any unoccupied cab passing by, you never had to wait more than a couple of minutes. But when I moved to Lombard, about 18 miles west of downtown Chicago, to catch a cab you had to call the cab company and request one, then wait for it to arrive, usually about 15 minutes. The commuter trains were usually miles away, and buses where spread out so you often had to walk a half mile or more to get to a bus stop.