2016-01-19 21:12:37 (edited by afrim 2016-01-19 21:15:46)

Hello everybody,
As I have seen in the previous posts on this forum, especially when comparing jaws to NVDA or vice-virsa, I have seen more users of NVDA than in any other place. I would need your help with NVDA for two issues that are keeping me off from switching completely to it.
First, is NVDA's performance on microsoft word. When I open a 200 page book on word, filled with columns and tables, NVDA lags in speed and it becomes really slow, especially when reading those tables and columns. I am using Microsoft word 2007, which indeed, in my opinion, is the fastest edition of microsoft office products. Is there any way to enhance NVDA's performance on this program?
Second, NVDA works slowly on windows explorer. When trying to go through the files and documents on the folders there, the speed of NVDA isn't the same as moving through the elements in other areas.
Any help or suggestion would be highly appreciated.
Cheers!

2016-01-20 01:15:26

Hello,
That is very strange. I'm not experiencing this issue at all and I use both word and windows explorer quite often, Microsoft office 2007, windows 7 duel core.

2016-01-20 01:28:35

I am running a windows 8.1 quad core, with word 2007, 8 gigs of ram, and yes I do agree that NVDA behaves slowly with microsoft word documents in general, no matter the size. Even a blank one it will still take a second before it says blank when I hit an arrow key.

----------
An anomaly in the matrix. An error in existence. A being who cannot get inside the goddamn box! A.K.A. Me.

2016-01-20 05:52:20

that is very strange, I have no issues here at all using word or explorer, unless the document in question contains graphics, and even then it has to be quite a few

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2016-01-20 10:39:23

I've only seen either one of these issues pop up once, on a Dell Latitude laptop.  reproducing them is finicky, since there doesn't seem to be any particular set magic formula or logic behind them; perhaps the drive on the machine I'm thinking of is just shot.  Otherwise, I haven't seen anything of the sort whatsoever.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2016-01-20 12:02:47

I avoid word and explorer for exactly this reason, but it's felt like the programs have become slower from version to version anyway, even with Jaws.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2016-01-20 15:22:32

It got fixed in a windows update, the NV access guys did say the lag in file explorer was a MS thing, and nothing they could fix, then, after one update, it wen away. There's still just a touch of lag in there from time to time, but its not like it was. When I used Word, I did notice a lag in it .But, I use Libre Office now.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2016-01-20 16:42:23

You also might want to try using the latest development snapshots of NVDA and keep them up to date. This may or may not fix your issue, but it's nice just to have the latest code.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2016-01-20 17:55:26

Thank you all for your answers.
Avoiding windows explorer and word would avoid more than 70% of my work on my PC.
I personally believe this is due to my tiny processor 1.4 GHZ, since on my desktop that is built in a 3.0 GHZ processor this lag never occurs.
When I set my laptop to high performance, thigs get better a bit.
Jaws, on the other hand, doesn't face this issue, and that is very sad that NVDA should because it runs flawlessly in other areas of windows.

2016-02-08 22:29:16

I second the recommendation for Libre Office. I've recently started using it myself, and it responds much faster with NVDA. The only issue I've encountered is that most times, when a document opens, NVDA says blank when you try to arrow around, but going to the menu bar and pressing escape solves this. Best of all, there are no ribbons!

I can't reproduce the issue you're having in Explorer, but I have one that's equally annoying. Ever since I've upgraded to Windows 10, when I'm navigating through large folders and I open one, sometimes NVDA crashes. When I was using version 2015.4, nothing I could do would bring it back, and I needed to reboot my computer. Using the next snapshots, the issue seems to have sorted itself out somewhat. It still crashes, but hitting control alt n to restart it will make it come back. I'm hoping that whatever is causing the issue will continue to get on the path to being resolved.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2016-02-08 23:18:19 (edited by afrim 2016-02-08 23:20:58)

Thanks for your suggestion, but I am back to jaws. I can't make the big change to switch to NVDA. it's really hard for me. Although I customised NVDA in exactly the way jaws works with commands, but still I find jaws faster, especially in three areas, windows explorer, microsoft office products and internet explorer/mozilla firefox. I am currently studying at university, so I have to deal everyday with large books which sometimes go up to 400 pages. Jaws handals faster these documents plus provides major support for microsoft word and excel. I spent a whole week working with NVDA and things were getting harder for me, so I was kindly forced to go back to jaws. It got me very annoyed when working with tables because it took around three seconds to read the items on them. I am using an updated version of jaws 16 which works nicely and does the job well enough on microsoft word.
If NVDA solved these issues I have, it would be very likely for me to completely switch to it. But till then, I will continue to keep a very keen eye on NVDA updates and see what happens.
It's the best screen reader second to jaws though.

2016-02-08 23:43:23

I must admit that there is some truth to the web browsing experience where JAWS and NVDA are concerned.  While JAWS is more likely to crash on a page full of flash content, NVDA doesn't do well with tons of web based applications, paypal included.  Paying my paypal credit bill has to be done using JAWS nowadays, at least until NVDA catches up.  Of course, soon enough, I won't worry about either one of these, as I'm ditching Windows.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2016-02-09 00:51:19

good luck on mak!

2016-02-09 08:22:37

Hi.
I'm wondering if this is just on my end or if anyone else experiences this.
Whenever a program in windows stops responding, nvda doesn't like it. I can't alt tab, I can't go into task manager or do anything. I end up having to restart my whole computer.
Jaws doesn't do this. I've been a jaws user for 12 years and am not switching unless there's a very good reason to.

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2016-02-09 09:48:04

Bryant, that's not the only problem, the issue you are talking about may be somewhat fixed if you realise that a certain program just crashed and press windows+m to go to the desktop. It is actually facing other problems. It should be faster on internet explorer and mozilla firefox. The only place on internet where NVDA satisfies me is google chrome, that if it were more accessible, hard it would be not to switch to it. They should also implement some new commands on microsoft word and other office products. Also, something I think they should do is an integration of their synthesisers or better say speech dictionaries because users are forced to place in the dictionary words that are very basic. Nowadays, the problem does not fall on the size of the screen reader setup, I personally would accept NVDA or whatever screen reader even if it required 50 GB on my harddisk provided that it met my needs.
Today, I'm not complaining about countless numbers of add-ons that should be installed on my NVDA copy, it is very simple for me as I downloaded most of them on my PC and installing them it's not a big deal, after all, they will be always there even if you update NVDA. you can even make a portable copy of it, copy to a USB and install it on another computer, with the same configurations. I can even help a new user of NVDA by customising it in the way jaws works, including commands, web navigation, symbol pronunciation and dictionary so that he/she does not have to get used to some terms of NVDA.
It's a very special screen reader with a great number of features that I love and I regret the fact that it is not so much integrated in some areas where most of blind people have to work on.
Cheers!

2016-02-10 21:12:11

Hi.
Yes, it is a great screen reader with a great number of features, but there are a few things that put me off from it. I don't like how it works on the internet. I just find jaws easier to use when it comes to web browsing. I'm also still slightly annoyed with the number of addons you have to download to make this and that program to work. It waists my time when jaws can work fne with the programs. You could argue that you have to download jaws scripts for jaws applications, but all the applications I've used haven't needed them.
Yes, the size issue isn't a factor. The most important thing is that it works for you. Today, 120 mb isn't huge compared to other things.

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2016-02-11 00:48:50

Hi,
There's a simple way to make NVDA behave more like Jaws does on the internet. In browse mode settings, uncheck the box that says use screen layout when supported. Then pages appear pretty much as you're used to seeing them. If that's not what you meant, I apologize.

As for installing add-ons, I don't mind doing that at all. The way I see it, I think it's great that end users have control over just what features they would like to use to enhance their computing and screen reading experiences. For example, think of how much less space Jaws would take up on a computer if Research It and OCR were optional packages. True, hard drive space isn't nearly as difficult to come by these days, but I like the fact that if I want OCR functionality in my screen reader, I just install an add-on for it. As for Research it, well, I find that to be a superfluous and unnecessary feature personally, which is more often than not broken, and I think it should be up to each individual user to decide whether or not these non-essential features are things that they want. This is one reason why I'll stick with NVDA for a long time to come, despite the inevitable bugs and sometimes sudden changes that come with it being an open source project.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.