2016-02-08 08:11:15

Try to follow the instructions on this thread.

If this doesn't work, I can just send you the drivers, as I know I have recent ones for XP.

Good luck ...

Just myself, as usual.

2016-02-08 23:24:54 (edited by Chris 2016-02-08 23:31:56)

I didn't have to go through that terminal crap. I just had to use the dmg as a cd drive in my Windows XP virtual machine on my Air. A lot of interesting things appeared. I got an application from within Windows that said dvd sharing and remote install Mac OS X. When I went to my computer and chose explore from the context menu, I got a drive called Windows Support d: Do I have to copy the bootcamp folder to El Capitan and wait for the disks to arrive? I just ordered those today so they should be here in a week or so. What are those other programs like dvd sharing and remote install Mac OS X?

I can't believe this whole partition was hidden in OS X. It's 1.03 gb and apparently has drivers for 64 bit Windows. Does this support 7? I'm just curious.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2016-02-08 23:34:30

Well played. I didn't know you had a Windows VM, but that is indeed what you are after.

That stuff on the DVD is mostly from the bad old days when the MacBook Air used networked optical drives to boot and install OS X. It's all now irrelevant, except the Windows server side of the optical drive sharing, which can still be used by optical-less Macs. MacBook Air now uses external optical drives just like everything else, come supplied with recovery partitions (it used to be install sticks that emulated DVD drives) and no longer support the "Remote Install Mac OS X" feature.

Yes, you want the drivers. Those drivers should go on a FAT32-formatted USB key.

Just myself, as usual.

2016-02-09 01:31:05 (edited by Chris 2016-02-09 01:33:29)

I've been using virtual machines, but am finding that my usage of Windows is steadily decreasing. I figured I could get some use out of my Mini which is basically sitting around gathering dust. Windows XP may not be the most up to date version of Windows, but remember that Windows is not my primary operating system anymore and hasn't been since early 2013. As for the drivers, does this gigantic folder contain drivers for all the early intel macs up until about 2009? I just hope these drivers actually make things like the sound card, bluetooth and wi-fi chips work on my particular computer. On a similar note, I found an option to download the drivers from within Snow Leopard. However, when I tried to download, it said it was downloading support software for about 20 seconds and then came back with a message saying the download was unavailable. Is this only meant for machines that didn't come with disks like the Airs?

2016-02-09 08:19:14

The drivers you want will certainly be on that image, as long as the DVD is newer than the Mac. Indeed, the drivers downloaded by BootCamp Assistant are intended for Windows 7 and up, at least on contemporary versions of OS X, which probably explains why you're having trouble using BCA on Snow Leopard for this purpose. You'll be fine, really. smile

And yeah, concur re Mac vs Windows. If I were in your shoes I'd probably do the same. And, oh look! I did. It's just that I haven't succeeded in doing the install using an SP3 disc, and haven't yet got together the gumption to do it with an SP2 disc that I might (or might not) have.

Good luck. smile

PS where do you run Mac OS X nowadays then, if not on that Mini?

Just myself, as usual.

2016-02-09 14:41:28

Ahh, so the download is only for Windows 7 drivers? According to an Apple article, I can only install 32 bit versions of XP and Vista. At least I know why the download failed. I could install Vista, but I hear that Vista doesn't like 1 gb of ram so that won't work. Besides, I don't really like versions of Windows past XP anyway.

So, when I get these disks, how do I burn it to the disk and make it bootable? Do I ust choose burn from the finder when focused on the iso image. I've installed the image in Fusion and can confirm it's Windows XP service pack 3.

I currently use a mid 2013 13 inch Macbook Air. It's the default option with 4 gb of ram, a 128 gb hard drive, and the 1.3 ghz processor. It works for what I do with computers. It's actually kind of nice because if I use internet recovery, this thing can go all the way back to 10.8.5.

2016-02-09 16:21:53

Ditto, XP for me too (at least in a VM running on my Mac).

Yes. Just write the XP ISO (which I hope is an official full ISO, either retail or OEM, for which you have a key) to the disc. You could probably have spared some of the cost with CD-Rs rather than DVD-RWs, but oh well, it should still work just the same I think. In Snow Leopard you have the choice to use Disk Utility and, I think, Finder too. You want to write directly to the disc, and not to create a burn folder and have the file itself appear on the disc.

Just myself, as usual.

2016-02-09 18:06:07

Hello,

All right then. I guess now all I have to do is wait for the DVDs to ship. I hope this image burns correctly and boots. I found it on a website that said it was the full iso from Microsoft with service pack 3 and the latest updates from some time in 2013. I had to find a product key which works fine in Vmware. Considering that you can't legally purchase XP anymore and I never did, I guess this is the only way to go. I'm actually glad I bought the rw disks so that if I mess up, I can try writing new data again. This comes with 15 disks, so if allelse fails, I have 15 or so disks to experiment with.

2016-02-09 21:26:47

Mmm, doesn't sound too healthy, but no matter, I have clean images if it should come to that.

And yeah, there's really no downside to actually having optical media.

Just myself, as usual.

2016-02-26 21:25:09

The disks have finally come! I'm going to be trying this tonight. Let me make sure I'm doing this right. I put the disk into the drive on the Mac Mini and fire up disk utility. I open the iso in disk utility and then go to the disk in the table and press the burn button in the toolbar? Will this format the disk and make sure everything is working as it should? When I go to install, should I connect my H1 to the Mac prior to rebooting so that once the OS is installed, I get the Windows XP music and I assume Narrator with my good friend Microsoft Sam?

This is going to be fun. I've never done a clean install of XP so this will be a new experience for me.

2016-02-27 00:10:47

To burn a disc, just press the Burn button; no need to open the image up first. And there's no concept of a format either; a disc is either written or empty (let's not discuss sessions, for now).

Plug in your audio device before the first stage of Windows Setup finishes, anyway. Perhaps during textmode. At any rate, before the main installation proceeds and driver support gets installed. You will also need your BootCamp drivers on a stick or on your OS disc to hand, of course.

Well, have fun and good luck.

Just myself, as usual.

2016-03-01 00:28:09 (edited by Chris 2016-03-01 00:29:50)

Well, I think I got the operating system installed, but I'm stuck once again.

So, I had to use an HDMI cable from my sister's Xbox to her TV. I got it installed and talking from my H1, but my sister came home and had a cow because I was using her TV and she couldn't watch TV or use the stupid Xbox. After reconnecting all this stuff, I can't get audio from Windows. I tried putting my H1 into soundcard mode, but I'm not getting anything. I can't hear the XP start sound and the narrator keystroke either doesn't work or something is messed up. I guess I'll have to connect this back to the TV tomorrow when that little wretch is at school. Any suggestions? This is really irritating me. I guess this is what I get for messing with Windows again. I don't know if I'm pissed off at Microsoft for shitty accessibility or Apple for dropping a computer that is still functional in my opinion. It's probably both.

2016-03-01 08:53:28

Well, bravo, sort of. smile

Are you sure you have SP3 there? It sounds like your first problem is going to be disconnecting from that TV without experiencing display and audio problems. Or maybe you won't, if you can get the drivers (and any updates) installed. I trust you've tried installing the drivers on your Snow Leopard disc. My theory is that your machine isn't booting without its monitor, and that therefore sound is not even available.

As for who gets the blame: Microsoft, obviously. smile Apple supported XP until MS dropped support for it on hardware that supported it; I'd say that was good enough. (Note not extended support. And Apple does obsolete hardware and its own OSs very quickly, which is something it absolutely can take the blame for.)

Just myself, as usual.

2016-03-01 15:13:55 (edited by Chris 2016-03-01 15:15:50)

I got it!

smile

Here are my observations from about 5 or 10 minutes of playing with it. First, this thing is fast! It's like night and day between now and the time I tried running XP in a virtual machine under SnowLeopard. That experience was not pleasant to say the least. Interestingly, my Macintosh HD drive shows up under my computer and I can view the files. This is kind of cool. How does Windows support OS X extended journaled or HFS? I'm assuming this has to do with the support software I installed? While I'm talking about that, why couldn't I view my Mac drive when I had 8.1 bootcamped on my Air? It's very odd. Finally, can I make a system image or a single restore point after I install all the Windows XP updates and NVDA updates? I really don't want to go through this nonsense again. I think this setup is going to work quite well.

2016-03-01 21:59:00

Awesome! smile

You will find that the maximum of 3GB or thereabouts of RAM is sufficient to sustain XP but that you can't access more of it. That's something you can fix, although not without an additional piece of software, and IMO it's not really worth it. This is definitely one advantage of using a VM though, although really, in your situation, I think the disadvantages far outweigh the advantages. Particularly when all you have is Snow Leopard. I don't remember if VMWare Fusion 3 knows how to boot from a partition, but if it did, that would be one way to solve this; then you could enjoy both flexibility and performance benefits.

Yes indeed, read-only support for JHFS+ is included in BootCamp. And I really can't imagine why 8.1 wouldn't work equally well for that.

Now, for your imaging question: does that thing have Firewire? Do you have another Mac with a Firewire or Thunderbolt port? Good, so start your Mac Mini up in Target Disk Mode (another pleasure of Mac hardware) and connect your other Mac to it. Your Mini's disk is then accessible for full disk imaging. Compress the resulting image. You may wish to defragment the filesystems and zero free blocks out on the Mini's HDD from both OS X and Doze before you do this, so your compressed image will compress better.

Just myself, as usual.

2016-03-02 00:26:54 (edited by Chris 2016-03-02 00:39:07)

Hello,

Now that I said that, I'm having issues with wi-fi. It's not connecting to the internet. What's going on here? I tried running setup.exe in the bootcamp folder, but it doesn't seem to correct the issue. Should I remove the installation and reinstall again?

edit

Never mind, I deleted my network from the wi-fi settings in XP, rebooted and added my network back. It appears to be working now. That's odd.

second edit

Ok, what's going on? It seems like my connection works just fine for a while until it suddenly stops. What's going on here? I was trying to download a bootcamp update from Apple software update and it just stops. Any ideas?

2016-03-02 00:52:58 (edited by Sebby 2016-03-02 00:59:06)

Can you get that thing over to an Ethernet port? Even if you do manage to get the drivers updated, I doubt the fact that this machine supports only 802.11G is going to give you anything like enough speed on a contemporary broadband connection.

But yes, update them drivers, and the OS. Like I said, preferably over a fast Ethernet connection ...

Edit: I can give you the latest XP updates on a DVD as an ISO. Also a registry patch to enable the WiPOS updates. This should get you through updates faster. And don't try to remove BootCamp neither; you'll end up in a mess. This is XP, remember.

Just myself, as usual.

2016-03-02 01:17:33

Are you talking about this?

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady] "Installed"=dword:00000001

You can receive updates until April 2019? Holy cow! That's awesome! As for the drivers, I downloaded bootcamp 3.1 from the Apple website on my Air and installed it. My wi-fi seems to work just fine. I don't feel like using ethernet. As for updates, I think I have to keep updating BC. Is the latest version BC 3.3?

2016-03-02 03:04:49

That's the one.

Yes, just keep running Apple Software Update and Windows/Microsoft Update until there is nothing further to fetch.

Isn't being stuck in the rosy past fun? smile

I'd never take Wi-Fi over Ethernet if I could possibly help it, but if it works for you and is fast enough, well, I can't argue with that.

Just myself, as usual.

2016-03-02 03:33:34

Well, wi-fi works well enough. I don't like ethernet because that's just one more cable to deal with. This thing already has too many cables coming from it if you count the USB Windows keyboard, the power adapter that connects to the back, and an external speaker.

I guess I'm good to go. Since I don't really use internet explorer or surf the web, I guess I'm fine? Not that I have any really sensative information on here or anything. My primary machine is my Air running El Cap.

2016-03-02 04:40:48

Even in 2006, you have gigabit Ethernet. You have 54 Mb/s Wi-Fi. Clearly how you use the machine decides whether or not you'll consider Ethernet, but I'd say it was non-negotiable. smile

I think you should be all right. Get all the updates installed, and IE should be safe enough to visit M$ so that you can do that. For everything else, use USB to transfer stuff you'll be running. Perhaps you could install Firefox on the machine, if you need access to the few web pages necessary for operation of your games, which by nature should be reasonably safe, ad-free and cosy. Then you might install Thunderbird, to do some retro-style email on there.

The important point is this: keep MS code away from the net wherever possible. Your router/firewall probably prevents attack traffic coming in from outside. You just have to make sure that you don't allow suspect code in Windows to talk to the network, where it might process malicious data. So, keep away from stock M$ programs, and replace them with alternatives. This doesn't improve the odds in the networking stack itself, nor in the firewall or system services, but I don't believe those are your main worries. You just don't want to be browsing the web or doing email with XP--not more than necessary, and especially not with IE. Code in those programs is complex and it's running with admin privileges. Remember, this is XP.

Happy reminiscing! smile

Just myself, as usual.

2016-03-02 05:06:40

I don't think Firefox is supported in XP anymore. Well, that's fine. I don't need to look at webpages or e-mail. I have my Macbook Air for that. I can play online games with my Mac. I've been transfering stuff through USB drives so should be fine. I really want this for games and games only. Maybe there will come a day when this machine sits abandoned, but I hope I can at least get some more use out of it for a little while longer, even if it's not productive use. I still think XP was and still is the best OS Micro$ came out with. Oh well, I guess the days of Windows XP and 7 and "real Windows" are over. At least I saw sense and got my first Mac in 2013. I know, I'm probably a luddite for clinging to the past, but meh!

2016-03-02 05:15:25

No, I understand completely. I just don't know if the Mac train will last much longer with Apple's current focus, either. Crap like the perpetual and unfixed VoiceOver bugs and stupidly inept stuff like this and this seriously give me pause; even if I can recommend Mac to new users, it makes it a lot harder for me and probably you as well. Without Linux, and with only Windows 10 as the Windows successor, my ironic fate on modern Apple hardware for a Windows that worked would be Windows 8.1, with Classic Shell. You know, so it looks just like XP ...

Firefox works on XP at the moment, IIUC. Chrome does, too, but support for it will soon be dropped. (This, incidentally, gives you some sense for the nature of my earlier advice: these browsers are self-contained and therefore secure.)

Just myself, as usual.