2016-02-04 15:11:37

hi,
The file explorer sluggishness was fixed in the latest nvda next snapshots. There is now no significant difference between windows 8.1 and 10 in terms of browsing speed.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2016-02-04 15:29:46

Hi,
Thanks for the info. I'll consider it as I think I'll have to update eventually.

2016-02-04 15:32:24

What about the new Start menu? Is that any less broken than it was? It used to be slow, too.

Just myself, as usual.

2016-02-05 03:04:53 (edited by Chris 2016-02-05 03:11:27)

Can anyone tell me why the start menu has the stupid tiles? I thought Microslop finally got the message that we don't want tiles on our laptops and desktops. Sheesh! What happened to "We're going to go back to the traditional desktop experience"? The tiles should only be in tablet mode, not desktop mode. Will they ever learn?

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2016-02-05 08:58:44

They didn't remove the tiles, and no they won't learn. smile

You can configure it IIRC, but I'm not going to install it to find out. Classic Shell does work, though--that is when MS aren't disabling it. I think M$ simply don't like apologising or admitting they're wrong. Then again, Apple don't either ...

Just myself, as usual.

2016-02-05 18:01:04

hi,
The start menu is similar to the start menu found in win7. The tiles are  still there but  they are in a place where they can be easily ignored. Like in windows 7 you can press up arrow from the search box to get to all programs.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2016-03-14 15:40:02

The saga continues to continue.

Microsoft recently released MS16-023 for Windows, which is a set of critical security fixes for Internet Explorer 11. And bugger me sideways if you've heard this before, but included in that patch is the Windows 10 nagware.

So that's it, really. The bar has now gone as low as it can possibly go. My last card has been played, and lost, to the Windows 10 menace.

Now what the fuck are we supposed to do? sad

Just myself, as usual.

2016-03-14 18:06:24

Play with our macs?

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2016-03-14 21:31:56

... Or we could stop using Ms products and inform blind (and sighted) of possible alternatives.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2016-03-15 01:43:39

Yeah, I know. I surrender trying to bring MS back on side. It's a shame, but we've been through all that.

Thank god for OS X. And yes, awareness of choices, and advocacy, is what we (blind people) desperately need now.

Just myself, as usual.

2016-03-15 14:55:03

I know that MS tried to hit me with the whole windows 10 download. If you noticed, I said tried. I had my shields up already. Ok ok ok, I had GWX installed on my system and it notified me of a possible windows 10 problem just in time for me to deal with it. Needless to say, MS is really wanting to do what I don't. I might had been tempted to try windows 10, but MS pushing it on me has just another affect. LOL. I have a MACBook pro, so playing with OSX is no problem to me. The only problem is that alot of audio games is in windows.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2016-03-15 19:13:15

I've been hearing a rumour that some people are basicall being forced to upgrade now, it might actually be happening. People have gone away and come back to an isntall dialog, or is that just people not disabling updates?

2016-03-15 21:39:22

From what I understand, it has been moved to recommended updates. They might had moved it higher than that without me knowing. While I was going to university, the university in question would not let me on to the net there unless I had the latest patches installed. GWX control panel caught it before it even had the chance to get to the install screen. From what I understand, a lot of everyday users have auto updates turned on, I don't. Allot of these vary same people, from what I understand, has a tendency to click through screens without thinking. You also have a lot of new articles about windows 10 and you can see where people can get mixed up about what is going on. For example, how many stories have you seen about people finding that the UI on their systems changed without them knowing why? On the other hand, how many people chose to update without thinking about what MS is getting out of it? Another thing worth noting is that the stories seemed to had quieted down a bit. How many people know that MS really has put out a patch that you had to get by hand to fixed part of the problem. Of course, to fix the rest, you have to go digging in the GPedit and the registry.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2016-03-20 16:31:06

Y'all are always welcome on the Mac side. Come to the light. Suffer the dark and cold no longer, I pray ye.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2016-03-20 19:12:08

Lol. I have a mac. Trust me, I got it around november of 2014. I can tell you, I do, to some degree, wonder if you can set one up witout having an ITunes or an Appstore account. LOL. Basicly, I do wonder if one can be set up without setting up an apple account of any kind. Didn't think to try it at the time. Then again, I need to get up the nerv to go try linux again. I do listen to some of the shows off of the TWIT network and MS has and do keep on making the news there for some reason. I wonder why... Oh weight, I know, MS really want people to upgrade! LOL.

DropBox Referral

2016-03-21 12:04:58

At post 188, Amen.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2016-04-09 17:39:38

Steve Gibson of GRC wrote Never10. It merely insists that you have the required Windows update installed (for Windows Update), and then sets the two registry keys necessary to turn off this crap and sets the permissions so they can't be reverted. You run the utility again to revert. You don't need GWX Control Panel; the Get Windows 10 app will helpfully (and surprisingly!) nuke the files it downloaded once the keys are applied, and Never10 will handle the rest. It uses an officially-documented, Microsoft method.

Windows 10 now has a feature I want, but I'm still not switching. It's the bash environment. OS X already has that, of course, but it's real nice to see Windows with bash. We Mac users have MacPorts and Homebrew and can compile whatever we want.

Just myself, as usual.

2016-05-16 17:01:39

Reading this topic, I remember something last week that just makes me mad. I hope this isn't coming out to late to save people trouble, but go over here, and do a search for Secure Boot. Then think about all the accessibility problems that this would cause. MS is crazy without a doudt.

DropBox Referral

2016-05-21 13:12:21

Best option would be some sort of out-of-band management like Intel's AMT that can be reached across the network. But then you've got security concerns ...

I am happy that, although a little weird, Intel Macs don't have Secure Boot, don't have any kind of BIOS setup (for good or bad) and have essentially one firmware boot screen: that being the one from which you pick a boot device. I hate the idea of going back to UEFI BIOS systems with point-and-click user interfaces that are simply inaccessible.

Ah, yes. Cumulative updates. M$ are now rolling up security and non-security fixes. So far no nagware and spyware, but watch out!

Just myself, as usual.

2016-05-26 14:34:05

Microsoft have sunk still further. I can't wait for the lawsuits, really.

In previous versions of the GWX nag screen, you really only had one way to get rid of the notification without accepting the upgrade for now or for later: close the window.

You know what happened next: M$ changed the window, so closing it is equivalent to acceptance. If you want to cancel, you press a tiny link to reschedule or cancel. By training people into closing the window to dismiss it, and then changing the behaviour of the close button without changing the content of the window in any way, Microsoft have gone too far.

I'm so glad this will be over soon. Well, except for us, of course--God only knows what we're in for when M$ tries forcing us to upgrade after the deadline. It's truly sad though.

Just myself, as usual.

2016-05-26 17:12:16 (edited by Figment 2016-05-30 23:49:10)

Don't you just love all these people bitching about Microsoft , of course we know why they do it, they're all mostly Apple fan boys that think Microsoft is evil and that Apple can do no wrong. The funny part is, we all know how so very wrong they are. For every evil thing they claim Microsoft has done, Apple is just as guilty of doing some evil of their own.

If the Get Windows 10 app causes you some much pain because it isn't from Apple, get rid of it! How? Go over to grc.com, go to their free software page, and download their program called Never10, then run it (there is no install), find the "Disable Windows 10" button and activate it. Now the Get Windows 10 app will disappear from the system tray and be removed from your system by Windows in the back ground. And the best part is, if you ever decide you want Windows 10, the Never10 program can be used to reenable it.

For those of you concerned about third party registry hacks, Never10 uses the same method of disabling the Get Windows 10 app that Microsoft uses when they determine that you aren't eligible for the free Windows 10 upgrade.

Simple and easy, and far more preferable to reading your bitching. If Microsoft is so evil, why are you even bothering to run Windows in a virtual machine or with boot camp? Just delete it and be happy in the world of Apple you love so much!

2016-05-26 19:02:35

As long as there are indiscreet M$ apologists, I'll continue to write about Microsoft's continuing slide into mediocrity. And, being an indiscreet M$ apologist, you'll read it, making it all worthwhile. big_smile

I have every interest in being objective about my OS choices, as it happens, and that includes Windows, which undoubtedly has something I want. So yes, I'm well within my rights to call out this totally unacceptable behaviour. It will help others using Windows to protect themselves against this clear violation, and if ever MS starts showing some respect to its users again, I might even switch back. Microsoft's greed is undoing them, in the eyes of many honest Windows-using folk, including myself. It's not right, and if you think it is, feel free to ignore this topic.

I know all about Never10 (you'll notice I mentioned it, in fact). Very nice tool indeed. Just now I'm simply avoiding the updates, but when that no longer becomes an option because of Microsoft's rollup antics, I'll employ this.

Apple? I'd love to know what terrible things you think they're guilty of. No, they're not perfect. But at least I know how Apple makes its money, and while I'm not exactly happy about their recent moves to tie their operating systems even more exclusively to hardware sales by making Mac OS free, it's a whole lot more preferable than these clearly unethical moves by M$ towards their loyal and paying customers. If you don't think so, why don't you upgrade to Windows 10 now and adopt the glorious future, where you're the product and not the customer? I'll stay one release behind the current OS X release, and when Apple releases the new shiny next month, I'll take another stab at upgrading or switching. Either way, I'm on solid ground. There's nothing lost to having more choice, including the choice to stay exactly where I am. Maybe you should take another look.

Just myself, as usual.

2016-05-26 23:23:03

I already applied the never ten app to my windows seven system. I will be so glad when this whole MS BS is over. Yes I use windows for somethings and macs for other things.

DropBox Referral

2016-05-27 01:06:00

Wow, what a thread we have here. Sorry for coming in in late to the party, but I do have a few things to say. Yes, I absolutely agree that the tactics Microcrumble is using are absolutely wrong. OK, promote your OS, that's completely fine. But don't make everyone upgrade like you own every windows computer. That's just crossing the line. I'm starting to see the Microsoft from the 90s coming back, to be honest. Who remembers Internet Explorer, I mean exploder, vs Netscape?

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2016-05-27 02:36:05

Mmm, I wonder if we wouldn't be better off with Balmer back in the driver's seat. He wouldn't let this happen to Windows users, would he?

SatNad seemed like the right choice, but I think he's pressing just a little bit too hard to switch the company into a services business. They've been steadily marching towards exclusively being enterprise software for a while now; maybe this is just the final culmination of that. I guess we can see how desperate MS are to make this upgrade push work from just how hard-line these tactics are.

Oh yeah, and MS have apparently backtracked a tiny little bit: you now get a second chance to cancel the upgrade. Naturally, the prompt only appears 30 minutes before the upgrade begins, in the wee hours ...

Just myself, as usual.