2016-01-30 09:49:52

First thing's first.

MODERATION:

This topic belongs here in "Sight and Forum Feedback". Moved.

Now, back to myself.

1. If you want to tell us something, use the Report links to do it. We check the boards just like everybody else, and pay attention when we see things that are likely to be important (like the posts in this room), but are basically still just readers with responsibilities and time limitations, just like you (although I have an email interface to every post in the form of a mailing list that speeds things up considerably). Without these reports, we don't really have any idea what is happening in a topic we aren't watching, for whatever reason. At best we get a sense of increased activity as the topic floats often. And, even if we only take a cursory glance, many topics start out just fine, and are sufficiently generic as not to raise any real suspicion, even if they have duplicate names. So it's important you send those reports. Tell us what infraction you think you've seen or why you're concerned and what you think should be done about it. We are honestly just as eager to see this place free of bad behaviour as you are.

2. The database. Send your updates to the Sight and Forum Feedback room, just like it says on the main page. We'll check there, verify the information (which we insist is correct and long-lived) and post it. There seems to be an awful lot of "I posted this link but nothing changed" when the real reason is that the information is not useful. I will update the DB if I have good data to put into it.

3. UltraPalaver--I mean UltraPower. This is covered in the latest UltraPower topic. I have made an exception to the usual rules to disincentivise the pointless flaming, which while I personally regard it as pretty lame and ineffectual, is nevertheless changing the character of this forum for the worse. So I am going to resolve the central question of the clones, and then we'll see what should be done to restore some sanity.

Cheers.

Just myself, as usual.

2016-01-30 10:01:47

Woohoo!  Throw down the gauntlet, man!   Throw down the gauntlet!

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2016-01-30 17:11:40

Wow, Sebby, nice to hear that! I at least use the report feature when I find posts to be troublesome, as I said in my previous post. Thing is I could remember at least 2 reports that went completely ignored without reason, just one stepping stone leading to the posting of this topic. But, I'm glad we've achieved success...

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2016-01-30 17:43:21

Hello
@Sebby I have seen many topics in the Sight and Forum Feedback that seem to have been ignored.
also the PsychoStrike exception (which was added by aron file), Dark is the only database updated in recent times.
some topics
new downloads links for morokuma games and destination mars
http://forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.php?id=18010
sneller:
http://forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.php?id=17906
river raiders:
http://forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.php?id=13118
changed downloads links of kitchens inc games
http://forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.php?id=17704
acefire:
http://forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.php?id=16858
etc. some topics were answered, but the database was not updated.
I repeat what I said in my previous message. I know all the moderators have a personal life, and that is hard work keeping the database.
however I offer help with updating the database if the moderators want help with this.
greetings and thanks.

sorry my english, is not my native language.

2016-01-30 18:01:31

Hi again
this will be spam?
http://forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.php?id=18042
http://forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.php?id=18043
http://forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.php?id=18044
http://forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.php?id=18046
http://forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.php?id=18045
greetings and thanks.

sorry my english, is not my native language.

2016-01-31 01:32:52

Hi.
I think I said this before, but I am not exactly sure on that.
One thing that is bugging me that all the spam or flaming topics are just closed so no one can write any posts anymore. I am wondering why they aren't deleted so they are just gone for good.
Is deleting topics not possible or why don't they get deleted?

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2016-01-31 01:51:52

Spam is usually deleted when it's found. If the thread starts with a spam post, I always just delete the thread since the remainder of the thread is meaningless. If a spam post is inserted into the thread, I delete just the spam post. If follow-ups reference the spam in any particular way (other than to say it's spam) then, depending on the nature of the spam, I might or might not leave it for amusement value, and to preserve the context of the conversation. But you'll know when this is. Report the spam, please.

As I said, the recent flaming topics have been rather harder to deal with, because they actually contain useful discussion, amongst all the nonsense. Casting them off when the outcome isn't decided would not, I think, be productive, since it would probably only attract more topics of the same nature. I would like very much to have a definite resolution before we decide what to do. Realistically, I think that means Mason should come forward and say whether or not UltraPower is abandonware, and whether or not he has any problem with the clones. The answer to that question will change the nature of the conversation.

Just myself, as usual.

2016-01-31 02:11:10

I think you're right on the money. If I were in your shoes, I'd tend to delete topics with no useful or amusing content in any of the posts, delete spam or other undesirable posts from topics, and leave other topics, closed where appropriate. In other words, a topic wouldn't be deleted, even if it had turned into an all out flamewar, if doing so would cause the loss of useful information.

2016-01-31 07:07:40

I myself don't really have much of an issue regarding the deletion or closure of topics, so I generally tend not to comment, with the exception being the Ultra Power topics, for obvious reasons. But didn't the forum used to have a system where a user would get 2 official moderation warnings before they were booted? Because another issue, and my biggest complaint really, is that since the mods don't tend to regard reports consistently, (if they do I cannot find sufficient evidence prior to today that would suggest as much), it often becomes hard to ban the right offender, and this I believe is how so many people get away with it with perhaps just a warning in the most severe cases.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2016-01-31 13:02:35

Well I think that the recent topics are in a class of their own, in that there is a point where the drama is tolerated, until it gets personal, and then someone has to intervene. There is, of course, no right or wrong in these incidents, and it's not usually one single poster who's the problem child, so the response is necessarily more nuance and there will be some variability in moderator response.

Having said this, in this case I think my smackdown was warranted, if only to keep the topic on-topic. Even then I was careful to scope the rule, so as not to encourage further abuses.

As to the topics themselves, I have decided to delete them entirely. I'm not happy doing that, particularly given the way in which the game was abandoned, but Mason has made it clear to me that his game was not intended to be open-sourced, and with this in mind, helping developers to reach their ambitions is more important than any potential short-term gains. So, please report any new topics of that nature and they'll be deleted. You can find my closing words on the last official UltraPower topic.

And that, I sincerely hope, is that.

Just myself, as usual.

2016-01-31 13:30:00

We are in agreement Sebby, i would do the same thing, nice job!

2016-01-31 13:45:15

Thanks, Arq. I'm glad I'm not going completely off the rails. It was a tough one. smile

Just myself, as usual.

2016-01-31 14:31:52

Hello all,
First off, Thanks Sebby for helping out and agreeing with me that these topics really were a different breed of moderation, it was quite ridiculous in my opinion.
Second thing, I seriously would like to thank every single person who has posted in response to my initial post on this topic. I come back from a weekend away to see people giving me advice, people posting instructions (that's very thoughtful of you to do that, even though I already banned a few spambots, I still like the fact that you took the time to post them), and people banding together to help each other through a time where the forum was getting ridiculous. At this point, I whsi I could actually reward you all somehow, only thing I can do is thumbs up a lot of the posts. I sometimes wish I could do more like offer a helpful badge or something. Seriously, in my eyes lots of you have probably just earned some sort of achievement if that were possible, because this topic didn't go out of hand. In fact, this is like the forum I know and love. So, in conclusion I'd just like to say a massive thank you to you all.

2016-01-31 22:01:18

I saw the last few posts in the now deleted Ultra Power topic last night, in which the position is made quite clear. I was going to capture them for the record, but by the time I thought of that, the topic had been deleted and I'd already cleared my browser cache. In my opinion, if this conversation still exists anywhere, it should be posted somewhere for all the world to see, so Mason's official position on the matter is a matter of permanent record. That way, no user can accuse the moderators of just making up the fact that Mason said what he said on the matter. Like I said, by the time I thought to do that, the topic was already gone, and so was my browser's cache, so I no longer have a copy.

Just my $0.02 worth.

2016-01-31 22:20:20

Good point, jaybird. But no worries; if you start from here, you can see the end of the thread that was deleted.

I also left the official topic alive (but closed) so people could see (a sample of) the back and forth. It wasn't quite as flamed up as the newer topics, which got pretty horrible.

Just myself, as usual.

2016-02-01 02:19:46

Thanks for clearing things up Sebby. That's the spirit. A big tumbs up for us all. big_smile
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2016-02-01 12:24:32

Well I'm coming to this one a little late. The ultrapower thing has always been at least a low level mess from what I've seen. as usual I don't care who has done what to whom or why, but I'm confident in the people I appointed as mods in the first place to sort things out, as seems to have happened.

I'll attempt to at least stick my head around the door occasionally and do some more work on the db, which should be more often in the future now that my fiance has moved in with me, although obviously  there are still things to fix (right now I've got her an Iphone 6 and we're going through the looktell vo tutorial).

Btw, as regards some comments earlier in the thread, there is always a log of who has been banned for how long and the dates, that's a feature of the forum.
I thought all the moderators new how the banning system worked, however I will write a private e-mail to the mods with some pointers sinse one of the previous posters is indeed correct. Spambot banning is an intrinsic part of the mod's duties, and while it's very much hoped banning members isn't necessary, once in a very short while it is, either temporarily for a few weeks or even (very occasionally), perminantly.

Just like Gaols, we wish we didn't need them, but occasionally they do become necessary.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-02-01 15:17:04

Personally, i think we have enough mods, unless i have my head in the sand, lol. I think if we just comunicate issues, we can knock out problems very quickly, as we have done here.