2016-01-24 05:55:02

It is done!  After careful deliberation and pondering and lip smacking and muttering and mumbling and murmuring that probably scared my family while they watched me wrestle with my madness, I have officially purchased a mac mini!  This post is landmark material! :d
Hey, MS!  You listening?  Soon enough, I won't be your sugardaddy anymore!  My iPhone will charge on a mac!  My Apple TV remote will charge on a mac!  My mother-in-law's iPad will charge on a mac!  My contacts, my emails, my movies and music, my pictures, my documents, my audio interfaces and external soundcards and other bits of me that once I confided to you will now reside with my mac!
You have two weeks to prove yourself, two weeks to prove that all the money I invested in you was worth something!  I spent upwards of $5000 on computers, software and hardware to improve our relationship!  I spent half of my days scanning your trash dumps for viruses and other goodies, keeping you free of trouble, plundering your depths to try and make sense of your illogical behaviors!  I walked with you and held your hand for the better part of 15 years in this manner, 15 years I can't get back, 15 years in which I could have gone elsewhere had I only bothered to save up or be drastic as I was today!  I held your hand through all these years, held your hand when others abandoned you, held you're hand when others told me I shouldn't!  Now, it's time for someone to hold mine!
What a shame you didn't take the time or make the effort to do it.  Sadly, I would probably have been stupid enough to swallow your idiocies for just a bit longer had you even attempted it, just a little, just a tiny bit, just one more time!  Your registry system is busted; your data gathering techniques are unethical, your dealings with other companies cause bloatware, and the computers running your systems don't last!  Today, I spent less than $2000 that acquired me a system I can keep running and keep on running for a long, long time!

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2016-01-24 06:10:11

Yes, indeed. Least worst desktop OS, here we come. big_smile

Now, we shall see just how well Apple can meet your needs. Good luck, have fun, enjoy yourself. Try not to give up and go back to Windows. smile

Just myself, as usual.

2016-01-24 07:21:51

I don't have any expectation at this point; this is a new beginning as far as I'm concerned.  That being the case, I'm not putting it down until I've been driven insane by OSX or the machine has stopped working.  i'll take a step back when I need to and breathe, of course, but I wouldn't be anything close to tech savvy whatsoever if I hadn't first taken the plunge that was switching from JAWS to NVDA full time, then jumped off the deep end and turned my life upside down with an iPhone after never having had a smartphone of any kind.  Now, I'm doing it again.  Whatever happens, I know that even if I don't end up liking it entirely, I shan't regret it.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2016-01-24 07:23:01

That's the spirit! smile

Just myself, as usual.

2016-01-24 09:08:43

QT apps: not so good. Once upon a time they were just about usable, but now it's completely hit or miss (and usually miss). Apparently Apple and Nokia got into a "It's all your fault!" argument and we lost. My understanding of Apple's APIs leads me to the definite feeling that they deserve most of the blame. Welcome to the dark side of switching to Mac; you get caught up in the politics.

Happily, most people needing virtualisation have migrated over to VMWare Fusion (costs money), which is perfectly accessible. And, honestly, VMWare are not a bad partner to have, all things considered. smile

Of course you could also resolve your virtualisation problem by using those other machines. Then you wouldn't need to virtualise anything or pay anyone. smile

Just myself, as usual.

2016-01-24 11:34:59

I love my macbook air so much, i just don't use it as much as i could, just because i think i have tolerated windows for so long, i just take my medicine and shut up. I tried windows 10, and decided after some research and consideration that it wasn't worth my time, despite my tech skills. I'm seriously considering converting all my windows machines to linux, not sure though, any ideas? I'm also considering an iMac, or mac mini, i just want the desktop experience, a mac that doesn't go anywhere, and will have more power than i will probably need for the long haul.

2016-01-24 12:17:39

@arqmeister,
You can always check out the Apple website and price your poison before you ever take it.  As Sebby has wisely pointed out, there is no point to having more power than you're using; if you find the price is not justifiable try something else.  I paid nearly 2000 dollars with accessories included, 1600ish of which is actually just PC.  Can I actually justify it?  Probably not, but I'm a geek and, well, I don't generally tend to reward myself or indulge myself often.  Yesterday was the exception.  Do I need that much power?  Probably not, and you can more than likely get away with paying less than I did.
The things that can kill as far as price goes are ram, processor, and drive.  Do you really need 16 gigs of ram?  Do you need an SSD with 1TB?  Do you really need a processor running as high as 3.0 GHZ?  Probably not, but Apple leaves it entirely up to you.

2016-01-24 14:55:06

Well, of the Mac Mini and iMac, iMac gets you more at the higher price points. And as is generally advised where specs are concerned, more is usually always better. I generally always by the highest and most of everything when I can, simply for that reason. However, as Nocturnus says, it is really true that there's a point where it simply doesn't matter, because your workload won't actually require it. I think it's fair to say that, if you become habitually accustomed to heavier workloads, then the iMac will be a better choice, but a surprising number of things (including many light transcoding or virtualisation workloads) will do just fine with the smaller systems. The best way to illustrate this is that, typically, MacBook Air users running Windows will upgrade to MacBook Pros if they are heavy Windows users.

Now, having said that, I couldn't say which of the machines is actually better; I have two Mac Minis and one iMac, all on the same desktop. The iMac is my primary machine, for sheer power. The Minis are servers: the older system runs Linux, while the newer Mini runs as an OS X cache and iTunes renderer and hub. My old 2010 Mini with USB 2 and no Thunderbolt is next door and is for running older operating systems, and my MacBook Pro is for the outdoors.

Also bear in mind that nowadays, for iMacs, RAM is explicitly user-upgradable; you could buy a top-end iMac, cut out a huge chunk of margin by not buying RAM from Apple, and top it off yourself (actually, you can get 64 GB into the current iMac for what Apple now charges for 32 GB, IIUC).

And again remember, these things will run Windows and Linux. There is no danger of someday being kicked out of your investment because Apple goes on a technology spring-clean, as sometimes happens. Oh yeah, and you generally get great resale value when the time comes to move on to the next piece of hotness your geek heart desires.

TL;DR: just splurge and enjoy yourself buying whatever it is you really want; it pays off in the end. smile

Just myself, as usual.

2016-01-24 18:05:29

Hello,

You can put Linux on Macs? mmm, makes me wonder if my old Mini would be better suited to Linux than an outdated version of Windows?

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2016-01-24 19:00:33 (edited by blindncool 2016-01-24 19:06:04)

You made a good choice, Nocturnus. Trust me, that mac mini will take longer to crash than any ol' windows laptop; I know people who are still using Macs from  2007!

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2016-01-24 19:09:02

$2000 on a Mac Mini? what?

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2016-01-24 19:59:58

Yeah, 2000 dollars on a mac mini, it and all of its accessories.  It honestly didn't need to be that expensive, and it wouldn't have been, had I not gone out of my way to make it so.  I said to myself, "Self?  Listen, you hardly ever if ever at all spend money on yourself save on food and proper hygiene.  You haven't had a new computer since 2011 and you're do for one.  You have an iPhone, now go get the mac!"  Eventually , my self did as I instructed, and it was so, that Nocturnus purchased this thing.  Now I just have to wait two weeks for it to get here.

2016-01-24 20:55:27

Yep, dropped a grand on the air about a year ago. I probably don't actually need a mac desktop, but meh, like others here, i need to take care of my geek heart lol. The air is enough to run xp in a vm without lag, and probably linux without issue as well. But i can't help it man, more power! more power!

2016-01-25 03:42:07

from a stand point of some one that is responsible for managing a companies computers,
and who has the difficult job to deal with end users that just wants things to work, that does not  know, or care about how it works, who constantly has to be reminded not to open any weird emails they get. just because there's a fancy photo attached to it.
from. trying to convince them not, to, install any updates if the computer prompts them to do so.
since there quick books software will stop working.
to backing up said pc's every week.
and to manually have to go through all 109 updates, to insure no crap ware gets on the pc's to convert them to windows 10.
sigh, it gets bad.
and with that, welcome to my job. managing windows 8.1
for the life of me, I am not sure why all of you are bashing windows7 since it is way more stable. and for me, out of a IT stand point functions much better. sure it is getting old in the teeth. and perhaps 8.1 is in my mind, the last, utter last, successor of windows that I can say, functions well.
before Microsoft decided to try and play the game apple plays.
Microsoft is a child when it comes to trying to auto update all there 200 million devices. with out a hitch.
they can't seem to understand that, concept. now forcing small businesses to upgrade, no, never. I can't
even begin to imagine the hell,  I'll have on my hands.
as for those who complains of not being able to install windows,
perhaps it is time to pull a sighted friend closer, let them teach you once how to do it, and memorize it.
windows xp rite up to windows 10 can be installed by my self no assistance needed.
so, I do proclaim, that it is indeed possible.
as for windows 10,  I am doing my best to keep it away from my business machines.
Microsoft is trying to use a sheep approach ware, they decide what is best for users. they feeding the concept of. you do not have to know how it works. just relax, we'll make it all work for you. we'll hold your hand. do not read, do not worry. just click, click, click. and say yes, yes yes.
God what have many of us humans become.
I fear to see us 30 years from now.
I am beginning to think, that, some one, who once said. technology shall be the downfall of mankind, is starting to be rite.
do forgive my morbid ranting here,
but I agree that, win10 is not on.
fancier eye candy, no thanks, 1 second faster boot, really, no thanks,
a imitation of seri, no thanks as well.
Microsoft is piling on all the featchers making every successor of windows look like a bloated glorified shiny toy.
when they forgetting the core functionality.
how to be responsive, fast, efficient. and helpful.
note, I exclude holding your hand and denying you permissions. and over simplifying things. as efficient.
it seems they really are serious about there goal to either have 1 billion devices running windows10.
or going bust.
they don't seem to mind playing dirty to get at that goal.
as for apple devices, I cannot see my self spending over 40 thousand rand to buy it, for that amount of money i can build my self a monster of a windows pc. dooing exactly what i wish it to do. and do it only that way. how ever that is only my opinion.
i do how ever wish, I had the
opportunity to understand and check out and work with a apple device, for that kind of money to understand why so many of you wishes to use it.
i do also agree though, skype is becoming a mess on windows.
alot of things is becoming way more  difficult to use, when it  need not be.
honestly, if you asked me whitch OS to use between windows, xp and 10,
i'd say stick with windows7, why, because it does what you'll want it to do.
if you don't connect to internet, then stick to xp.
but there's to many things that xp can't do these days. that makes my hair stand up just thinking of running it. on my stuff here.
Secuirity comes to mind,
miner file system incompatibility comes to mind. and much more.

There's a place for me in this universe.

2016-01-25 04:53:18

For my windows machines, i think i will run windows 7 ultimate and disable the windows update service out of paranoya lol. That's what i have done with this server, and another workstation i have. I'm not going to install updates until i know for sure that the damn windows 10 get upgrade won't sneak it's way in through some backdoor trick, or registry crap that microsoft has up it's sleev. Anyway, windows 7 ultimate for me, and firefox, and my audio games and steam account will do fine for the windows side of things. Might wait for a refresh of the macbook pro retina, or was seriusly considering getting the imac with all flash storage. Will see.

2016-01-25 10:42:05

@Chris: Linux is an option, although really the question of which Linux and desktop and how to get it installed is something of a maze. I prefer to bootstrap, which is not the easiest thing in the world to do, because I haven't found a live CD that can reliably provide audio at the desktop. So maybe Windows is still the better option. Perhaps somebody can talk you through installing a desktop, or there are the VI-specific ones like Vinux and Sonar.

@nocturnus: cool beans. Remember to pick up one of these if you are going without a monitor. Apple trackpad is helpful but not required. Numpads on keyboard with numpads are also usable by VoiceOver (although I now use Apple's wireless keyboard without, it's down to taste really).

@arq: not sure I like the idea of a Windows system without updates ... I understand though. Have you applied the registry changes MS offers to turn off the nagware? Or used GWX Control Panel? The telemetry is a bigger issue for me.

@wanderer: yep, fair enough, Eloquence it must be, sometimes ... I have JAWS in my Windows VM for that; never gets old. Alex could be a lot worse though, and I'm now quite used to it.

For browsing the web, this is a nice guide. I can also send you my VO preferences, if you'd like to avoid all that work setting it up to (for instance) say "link" after the link's name. In Safari Preferences under Advanced, turn on the use of the Tab key to navigate every element. On this board, and after you set that preference, I just use Option-Tab to find the jump button, press VO-Space, and you can choose a room to go to, except the one you are already in of course, or the default. Or from the main page, VO-H to find heading, interact with the group, make sure you're on the link and VO-space or enter--so yeah, not quite as efficient because the items in the headings constitute more than one element and are not flattened. Actually, I think the fact that VO-space, VO-L/Shift-L doesn't work on the outer heading could be considered a bug because the link actually has the focus, so I'll add that to my list. Happily, the Safari native keys still work; just press enter, and you'll navigate immediately without any interaction, because the room's name link is the focus as soon as you jump to the heading. Learn something new every day. smile

Interesting, then why do you have a MacBook at college? And yes I realise work is more important than learning a new OS, but your dependence on what you're familiar with will probably mean you quit early and often before you really learn enough to get anything done at all. It certainly did for me, and I was using Vista. So, when you find the time, try a bit harder. smile

flyby chow wrote:

for the life of me, I am not sure why all of you are bashing windows7 since it is way more stable. and for me, out of a IT stand point functions much better. sure it is getting old in the teeth. and perhaps 8.1 is in my mind, the last, utter last, successor of windows that I can say, functions well.

Win8 has many under-the-hood changes and policy controls that make it superior to Win7, IMO. But, I suppose, from the point of view of somebody dealing with users, I can understand why Win7 is probably the better option for a deployment.

2020--that is when it ends for your organisation, and only if you don't have Skylake or newer. Win8.1 gets just three more years: in 2023. sad

flyby chow wrote:

as for those who complains of not being able to install windows,
perhaps it is time to pull a sighted friend closer, let them teach you once how to do it, and memorize it.
windows xp rite up to windows 10 can be installed by my self no assistance needed.
so, I do proclaim, that it is indeed possible.

I don't have a great memory, and would likely not remember, or would be inclined to dislike the fact that I couldn't be sure if it worked. Scripts or talking WinPE options seem to be the best hope for me. I really can't understand why M$ do not simply include audio support in WinPE. It's possible; they simply choose not to do it. Not everybody can easily get sighted help (I can't) so it's really important.

flyby chow wrote:

as for apple devices, I cannot see my self spending over 40 thousand rand to buy it, for that amount of money i can build my self a monster of a windows pc. dooing exactly what i wish it to do. and do it only that way. how ever that is only my opinion.
i do how ever wish, I had the
opportunity to understand and check out and work with a apple device, for that kind of money to understand why so many of you wishes to use it.

If you read all of what you have written in your post, you will find that you have answered your own question, most eloquently too. smile

You're right; Windows is turning very bad. That's why I use Macs. Sure, Apple are no saints, but by God, the Microsoft alternative is intolerable. Choice of hardware doesn't change that, even though, honestly, I love that Apple will take care of that for me, too. Macs make terrific Windows machines, contain no bloatware or spyware out of the box, and have excellent build quality and near-silent operation. Apple is the best OEM and make awesome computers for most purposes. Self-built is great if you have the skill, if you have very specific needs, and don't mind that your machine will probably not be the most efficient or quiet you'll ever own. I respect that people choose to. But, for me, as long as Apple stay in this business and a more open competitor don't come along, I'll probably keep buying Mac. Specs are not everything. JMO.

I agree, XP is now very old. But it's just the thing for a VM, where you can control accesses. It's only for those few things, like games etc. I can't deal with Vista or later, really. Well, I can, but I, well, refuse to. smile

Just myself, as usual.

2016-01-25 13:46:42

@flyby chow
Yeah, Sebby hits it on the head all over again.  many of us have spent time, tons of time on windows.  If you go back up to my earlier posts you will find that it was roughly 15ish years for me.  How long Sebby and Arq have been at it along with others who have been voicing their resentment as I have is honestly none of my business, though I would wager that they have probably been doing it for a fair amount as well.  You can scrol through all of my posts on here and find that not too long ago I was on the other side and even got into civil arguments with Sebby and other known users of Apple products, arguments that escalated immensely because we could go on for hours, and every single time it felt like we all just, had to agree to disagree.  My excuse?  Everything from money to impracticality to supposedly better accessibility and efficiency and choice; the list goes on.
If I'm honest with myself, which I've had more time to do as of late because I haven't been spending as much time on computers, I find myself at the realization that every single one of my arguments was a weak one.  I don't have more money now than I did before and, yes, the mac was incredibly expensive; my wallet is crying at me.  But check this out; compared to many smartphones on the market, my iOS device is expensive, too.  Since I've bought it, I haven't regreted it, just as I knew I wouldn't, because I've previously owned an iPhone and worked with others who own them as well.  In roughly 5 years I gained tons of experience with these little babies and discovered to my amazement that just about everything I put it through within reason, logical reason, all of it succeeded.  I've never had it go down on me, never had a moment where I had to restart the device because my screen reader was unresponsive, save when I jailbroke, and that, probably owing more to jailbreaking than the iOS device itself.
I find less and less reasons to jailbreak nowadays; perhaps that'll change with time.  Outside of jailbreaking, Vo remains entirely responsive, consistent, snappy, readily available and as solid as ever.  I've used it on an iPod touch, on an iPad, on an Apple TV, and under none of these circumstances have I really had to retrain my thinking with the operating system or with voiceover.  I have no doubt that once I've received my mac, I'll find myself in familiar waters all over again, even if only slightly.
I can't say that about Windows or the screen readers it offers.  Whether we're discussing changing versions of the operating system or switching out screen readers, we're constantly having to do all of the above, learning new keystrokes, reading new manuals, picking a few more brains as to how best to use this or that new feature which more than likely just adds to the already convoluted experience.  Yes yes, choice, something I'm very happy with and proud of and a huge believer in, but it all comes at a really high price; that price is your time, and slowly but surely, your money, for that matter.
More than likely, if the experience is anything like what I went through with my faithful iPhone 4s which I ended up replacing for an Android device owing to a change in service providers (My 4s is still working properly save the phone part for obvious reasons by the way,)  I wont' have to replace my mac for a really, really long time.  Assuming I want a new one though at some point in the not too distant future, people buy them old for reasonable prices all the time, reasonable prices that can go toward ensuring I get my new one a little faster and with a little less strain.  More than likely, I don't have to worry about Apple pulling the floor out from under me and changing what OSX is all about as drastically as MS tends to do with Windows from one version to the next.  More than likely, I won't have to learn too many new concepts with every new upgrade, which will keep me doing the things that actually matter to me rather than keeping me from them.
That's all just speculation on my part because of what I don't know.  Here's what I do know.  I know that I don't have to worry about updating or going and downloading new versions of my screen reader.  I know that I don't have to worry about having a separate bit of software to install my operating system, all aimed at providing auditory feedback.  I know I don't have to worry about what word processor I'm going to buy or what screen reader I'm going to use, or how both of those will interact with each other.  I know I don't have to worry about my email client.  I don't really have to, must put an emphasis on the word really here, don't really have to worry about my web browser if  I don't want to.  So, as far as accessibility goes, I don't really have to worry about anything!
Were I to approach this matter as many blind people do, IE, with the mindset that we should be able to do things on a MAC and with voiceover the same as we can on Windows with JAWS, WE or NVDA, then I'd worry about all of the above, but this is a starting point.  My experience will be defined by the amount of patience I intend to devote to my Mac, which, back in 1999, was the same amount of patience I devoted to the first Windows PC I ever used.  Back then Windows PC's were much slower in some regards, JAWS wasn't what it is today, and I certainly wouldn't have called the experience fun.  I made myself useful on XP, then once again on Vista, then again on 7.  I briefly touched upon 8 and 8.1 before downgrading this device back to 7, all the while wondering if 10 was ready for me, not if I was ready for it.  The fact is that it isn't ready for me at all, and since it isn't, I'm not ready for it, either.
What I am ready for though, is change.  I'm sick and tired of not mattering, sick and tired of forking over money to new computers every two to four years, sick and tired of my company of choice making so many changes with every OS release cycle that I have to wait almost a year for screen reader support just to catch up, sick and tired of the fact that we're not getting any better at what we're doing.  I'm sick and tired of myths that aren't true being perpetuated by closed minded blind and vision impaired individuals, sick and tired of the constant wars regarding this and that screen reader working properly with this or that application and who's does what better with where it goes and how you get it there, sick and tired of the constant cacophony that always seems to divide our accessibility camps on Windows, tearing us apart and keeping us from making any progress because we're so desperate to get ahead of each other and prove that paid or free are better than each other, sick and tired of the feature imitation program each screen reader has become!  Windows, I'm sick, and tired, of you!

2016-01-25 14:11:45

I have windows seven machine setting on my desk that I am not planning on updating to 10. I also have a macbook pro running 10.11.3. Call me crazy, but I don't seem to be as worried about updating my mac as I am about my PC. From the best I can tell, I can do alot of what I want on a mac just as well as windows. That of cource means that I am not as pressed as MS would like me to be to upgrade. In alot of places, VO is on a close enough level as jaws to be useful. Trust me though, Apple would like to hold your hand if you let them MS is more blatent or something at it. LOL. MS seens to be saying, "come on now, you have to upgrade. we are so shure that we are going to feel your screen with a really big popup that you can click on to upgrade." where as Apple is saying "come on now, you know you know you want to upgrade. After all, we know that the latest version of your apps require the new update."

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2016-01-25 14:30:09

Well, old arq has been in the windows world since the dos days. And i used to love the simplicity of windows, and the fact that you had much more control back in the day. While Windows helped me build a very strong technical background, i would dare say Linux made me feel even more like a geek than Windows has. Dropped a lot of money on the macbook air a year ago. Like i said, if someone either sold or stole my windows boxes, and left me with my iPad, phone and macbook, i'd be just fine, and probably wouldn't even question the lack of windows. I guess the only thing that bothers me is the fact that i have learned how to fix computers, replace parts, and just be down-right self sufficient when it comes to fixing my own crap. I have also spent a good deal of money on this windows hardware, and harddrives, and wireless cards, the list gos on. Point is, i take care of myself as far as computing is concerned. If my macbook air were to have an SSD failure tomorrow, i couldn't crack it open and swap it out, which with all my other machines would take me like 5 or 10 minutes to do. It's funny how i seem to be more emotionally invested in the empire of computing i have bought for myself than anything, but like i said, apple would meet my needs now a days, just because i'm not in college anymore, and don't have to use windows for anything but gaming. Even if i went back to school, i think paiges would fit my word processing needs, i'd be more concerned about document formatting, and .docx support, that's about it. Ok, rant over.

2016-01-25 15:21:49

Awww, Arq, I was just getting into your rant though.  :d
I get it though, I really do, and I can't say there aren't things about windows I'm not going to miss.  Right now, NVDA remote is king!  It's kind of fun to be able to use a laptop and supervise what's going on with a desktop that's 15 feet away.  Twitter?  I've been using Chicken Nugget for so long now I'm not sure what precisely I'm going to do when I get on a mac.  Mudding?  I've loved the simple but powerful, versatile tool that is VIP for so long.  Assuming I don't find answers to everyone of my questions and concerns, however, there is always fusion.  I'd like to try and stay away from it as much as I can, though.

2016-01-25 15:43:22

I have stayed away from fusion as well, just because like i said, i have enough windows hardware laying around. Plus, i would only want to use OSX for the sake of using OSX, and not put windows on it, but that's just me.

2016-01-25 16:03:05

Yeah, same here.  it'd seem like a waste to go out of my way to buy a mac set up for Apple's OS, scrap it and use windows on it, when I could just as easily go out of my way to go on some website that would allow me to build a Windows PC from the ground up.  The PC isn't the problem though; I've had good ones.  No, the problem I'm having, honestly, is just Windows as a whole, Windows not inspiring, not exciting me, anymore.  I flounder onward, trying to figure out what to do next.  Gaming and screen reader support remain pretty much the same, with other devices making more progress, developers jumping ships and developing for other platforms that seem more proffitable.  Windows just isn't what it used to be.  Perhaps Apple and everything that encompasses it feels like a sandbox to some people, and maybe it is.  MS is starting to feel that way to me, however, and what's worse, is that I can't justify the trouble I face to deal with it.  if OSX is a sandbox, at least it's a good one.

2016-01-25 16:13:55

+1.

My thoughts coming up. Get a barf bag handy. smile

I have been trying to reconcile my apparent desire to use Windows, which I feel very strongly every now and again, with the reality, which is that I rarely do. Sometimes its the refinement of Windows screen readers, and the choice available. Sometimes its the principle of openness. Sometimes it's my love of the long-lost, rosy past, where everything was largely perfect, and the few rough spots could largely be worked around.

But if I actually evaluate the facts today, and when accessibility is the benchmark, I'm not even sure Windows wins anymore. When accessibility is not the only benchmark--when privacy, simplicity, manageability and happiness are concerns, say--Windows is substantially the loser.

I am reluctant to dismiss Windows, as any choice. I don't like harbouring scores just because I can. But the facts, at least for me, speak for themselves. I am a Mac user. I want to have the choice, but the question of whether a platform meets my needs comes after, and not before, the determination of its suitability is made.

To take a recent example, independent installation of the operating system. I can't imagine going back to a world without that. The bar has been raised, and it isn't coming back down. If I am to go back to Windows, it must be possible to reinstall it independently. Maybe that could be regarded as optional by some hold-outs, in the interest of other virtues of Windows accessibility, but I could never let it go. And, in practice, it actually matters: OS X is always there when I mess up my Windows VM, to restore it to before I broke it. I wish I could say the same for Windows on bare metal, but it isn't happening.

You can throw away your barf bags now. smile

The approved VI Twitter client for OS X is Night Owl which you can get from the Mac App Store. But actually, if you are happy using the web app, that works perfectly too. I'm using it now, in fact, to follow a particular account for news, without being signed in. I'll get back into Twitter properly when I have more time to put into that particular sinkhole. smile

Just myself, as usual.

2016-01-25 16:27:07

Let us add the final nail to the coffin, since this topic concerns itself with what MS is doing regarding privacy.
http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/25/10825 … ce=twitter
For now, you can toggle it, but for how long?

2016-01-25 18:20:05

Personally I think this topic name is a bit exadurated. Windows doesn't really dominate the world, nor is it an order. As for my opinnion on the topic itself, I have been  windows user all my life and probably won't change that. The reason I'm not switching to mack is because there is so much on a windows pc that I wouldn't be able to do on an out of the box mack. I would in the end be paying far more for access to things that run under windows on a mack than just buying a windows pc, because on top of paying for the makc I also need to pay for a vm to run everything. Even then, there are things which simply don't run on a vm, such as swamp, and I did pay a good amount of money for that. I want to install windows without sighted help? You can turn on narator in the setup program. I can put up with narator's horrible screen reader capabilities until I've downloaded n v d a, then I never touch it again. So yes, it is possible to install windows without sighted help. This rant is not anything personally against mack users, its simply my two cents on this matter.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.