2008-10-21 21:13:08

Hey.
Just wanted to shamelessly advertise for my own program here, since it might be useful for some of you.
I've had issues with the signal strength bars in the wireless network connection dialog in windows, so I wrote a program to speak it whenever you press a custom hotkey. Sapi is required.
You can get it at:
http://dl.uwod.net/
Enjoy, and if you have any issues just reply here or write at me or whatever. The only slightly tricky bit might be that you need to define your wireless card in the settings.txt file, but just do a copy-paste from the network connections dialog or the device manager and you'll be fine.
Hope this isn't too OT, enjoy. Malthe.

2008-10-21 22:24:05

What versions of windows will it work with?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-10-21 23:01:23

I ran it on xp home with no probs, not sure about vista , 2k or 9X but I'd asume vista and xp Pro will work at least. Wont hurt to try it anyway
Malthe.

2008-10-21 23:57:55

OK. I'll give it a try sometime.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-10-22 04:03:04

Why did you write the essay evader? It's great to do your homework.

skype name: techluver
Feel free to add me.

2008-10-22 08:02:14

Mostly because I was bored.

2008-10-22 15:33:50

No it isn't off topic, that's why this is the "off topic" room. So long as it isn't offensive or otherwise of dubious legality or morality and is a genuine topic it's fine.

I'll have to check this out, it's something I've struggled with myself. You would think either FS or M$ would take the hint, but guess not.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-10-22 15:45:51

Ok, cool.
Yeah, especially when windows actually shows the signal strength as text when showing the tooltips but graphically in the network connections, reactivating your connection all the time is kinda clunky.

2008-10-22 19:45:13

I know, at least most of the time, my connection status shows up in text in the syst tray. Let's say that CW is the name of the network. it would currently say "cw speed: 54.0 MBps signal strength: very good". On the other hand I'm using 0config over the software that came with my card do to access problems. In short I would not recommend the linksys wireless-n WUSB300n card. I couldn't get the software install without sighted help, but that's for another topic. Anyway good piece of software, and it does what it does well. Doesn't require any help and best of all, it's free.

DropBox Referral

2008-10-22 23:02:37

Could you make this work with the JFW API?

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2008-10-23 10:18:53

That would be useful, of course the SAPI version would probably still be handy for non Jaws users so best to keep the SAPI version available whichever way you go.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-10-23 15:15:50 (edited by malthe 2008-10-23 15:18:48)

I could port it to work with the jfw API, although not sure how the other screenreader APIs work, but I could try to research that and do it over the weekend. Does system access even have one? But I can implement jaws as a start. I just opted to use sapi since it'd be the broadest range of people that could use that. Then I can just have a toggle in the settings file between the various speech options.

2008-10-23 17:04:39

the other readers that have such apis are system access and window-eyes. dolphins hal and super nova don't have it.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2008-10-23 18:13:54

And nor does NVDA I suspect, but you primarily use Sapi with that anyway.

I suspect the biggest possible change would be detecting the available network adapters, but this might be asking a lot. If for example you could choose from the ones on your system in a combo box or a list box.

cx2
-----