2015-12-21 17:44:23 (edited by keyIsFull 2015-12-22 16:10:11)

Yes, that topic title isn't lying. If you've been reading my tweets lately, you'll know I'm working on a new sequel to battle zone. I should have a tech demo out soon. I refuse to answer any questions about the game on this forum thread until the tech demo is released. You can dm or mention me on twitter with any questions. But the real reason this topic is here is because you can submit your voice to be included as an unlockable enemy in the game. The submission is similar to the swamp voice submission. The instructions are as follows:

Do you want to be featured as an enemy in battle zone?
If so, read this document, which will detail the requirements on submitting a voice pack to the developer.

recording equipment: headset mic or desktop microphone, preferably USB. No laptop internal microphones. If you aren't sure about if your microphone will make the cut, send me a test file where you say something into your microphone to via one of my contact methods listed at the end of the document.
Try and minimize echo during your recording session by recording in a room with carpeting, or that has hanging cloth to absorb the echo. A closet full of clothes is usually good, or if your living space has carpeted rooms, use those.
Record your voice pack during a single session. If you need to take a break like to drink water, don't move the recording equipment. Don't pause the recording equipment either.
Leave some silence between lines, so that I can split them more easily. This will also let me get rid of background noise.
Please record several variations of each line. I will use up to 16 line variations when creating the final voice pack. Record at least 4 variations, in case some of them are unuseable for any reason.
Please send a single raw unedited file for your voice pack. I'll do all the editing. Do not split your voice files. I will not include your voice pack if I have to expend extra effort to try and remove background noise from the recordings.
No bloopers or outtakes will be heard by the public unless you explicitly say that you want them to be included. If you do consent, then I will pick and choose which ones will be included.
Individual voice files will not be accessible to the public. I will encrypt all the files, along with all other sound files in the game, so that they cannot be stolen. They can be replaced with unencrypted files by prospective modders who want to change the game's sounds.
You can submit as many voice packs as you want. Please send each as a separate file. Please also let me know if you want bloopers to be included.

lines to record. Examples are proceeded by a colon:
Sight player (Said when the player is first spotted by the enemy. A short sentence.): "There he is!", "You will die now!", "It's time to die!", "haha there he is!" "I see his ugly mug!"
routine taunt (said after the enemy has already spotted the player and is rushing to the attack. Short Sentence.): "You will die!" "Take this!", "you're so dead!" "You suck!" "Victory shall be mine!"
Victory taunt (said is the enemy kills the player. It can be a lot longer than the other taunts.): "Wow, that was easier than I thought." " I just gotta clean the blood off my weapons." "He's dead." "Looks like I'm getting a pay raise." "Any last words?"
light pain grunt: A quick 1-sylible grunt of pain, for when minimal damage is dealt.
medium pain grunt: a bit longer than light pain grunt, for when a fair amount of damage was dealt.
heavy pain grunt: Longer than medium pain grunt, this often takes the form of a drawn out scream, with optional throat or cough sounds. For when the amount of damage dealt would kill if it were dealt again.
note: please give multiple grunts for each pain type.
death: you have died. Usually takes the form of gasps, choked sighing, or an even longer drawn out scream than the pain sounds. All death sounds should fade away to nothing after 1 to 3 seconds as  they will be overlayed by a body drop sound in the game.
falling: A long, drawn out scream, for when this enemy falls into a pit.
laugh

Sending your voice pack
Please send the voice pack in wav, mp3, flac or ogg format. You can use the following ways to let me know where to find it:
Mention or send a DM to me on twitter @theGreatAthlon5 with a link to the pack.
send a link to me via email at [email protected]
mudmail my alter aeon character, Athlon,
PM me on audiogames.net (THough I don't check them very often. Use the other contact methods because I see them quicker).

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2015-12-21 19:33:08

Nice, if I can find a good enough recording environment then I will try this.
Just wondering, when does the laugh play?
Also, is pausing the recording okay if I leave a second in front and behind each phrase?  There isn't much other way to avoid you having to do a bunch of pointless extra work and me having to repeat things when cars pass and doors close and such...
I did that with Swamp and RTR and no one cared.

2015-12-21 21:34:44

Nods, that's probably okay. The laugh sound is sometimes played instead of the taunt as the enemy moves, and sometimes in response to a good hit by a weapon.

This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!

2015-12-21 22:09:51

aaargh! this makes me just that more pished that I haven't up and baught a microphone yet and still use this crappy internal...

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2015-12-22 11:43:06

I actually like when games feature bloopers and outtakes.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2015-12-22 15:32:19

Yeah, we had those bloopers for dammage extreme. Well, perfect timing, Carlos, because I'm finally getting a Blue Yeti. Question, can we send in our own fall sound as well, or is there just going to be a universal fall sound depending on the level like in the previous version of battle zone? And should we add some reverb to the pit screams?

2015-12-22 16:07:30

Hmm, I suppose I could add a bloopers function to the game for those who consent to have their bloopers viewable. I'll update the document detailing this.
No, the fall sound will be surface-based so you shouldn't add one yourself. Also do not add reverb to the pit screams; I'll do that myself. Please send a raw  unedited file.

2015-12-22 18:32:00

I forgot to ask but, what is your stance on profanity?

2015-12-22 19:13:39

It's fine. I'm not responsible for little kids playing this game. There are a lot of gory sound effects in here too.

2015-12-22 20:00:15

Hello,
OK I'm defintiely looking forard to this. I won't submit a voice at this time, but I like the amount of potential files that can be used, so it's going to be interesting as it should add more vocal variety to these enemies.

2015-12-22 20:45:47

so, what's gonna be different from the first battle zone?

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2015-12-23 01:06:05

Wait for the tech demo.

2015-12-23 01:42:36 (edited by x0 2015-12-23 01:43:48)

I will see if I can make you a good voice, though my room has a bit of echo and our house has no carpetting. Though usually, when I do voiceovers, you can't hear the echo unless the volume is blaring. Also, just a hint from me to other desktop microphone users, do your voice a bit off to the side, in mono mode. Reason you shouldn't hit it in the face is because some mics don't have a pop filter and will do nasty things when you say p. Also, are we allowed to use synths? i could make you some macintosh or dectalk things.

----------
An anomaly in the matrix. An error in existence. A being who cannot get inside the goddamn box! A.K.A. Me.

2015-12-23 01:55:09

nah, no synths please.

2015-12-23 03:23:11

I was thinking the bloopers could play once you beat the game the way mainstream games do it. Granted not all mainstream games do feature their outtakes but those that do often have them as a reward for beating the game. Of course not being particularly well-versed in BGT despite nearly five years I don't know how hard that would be to code.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2015-12-24 10:16:20

I'll do that when I go over to my brothers house tomorrow. My brother could do a good voice, and even though my voice is sort of, er, highish, I can do a pritty good performence. I will give you both files for evaluation...

--------------------
All of my socials and content platforms can be found on my website (not ready yet).