2015-08-30 18:39:55 (edited by Sik 2015-08-30 22:19:22)

stewie wrote:

Part of the problem, at least for me, is judging my location compared to other objects. I don't actually know what the distance I'm jumping or moving based on the sounds I hear relates to the actual distance between me and an objects. Its hard to tell how fast your character jumps etc.

Yeah, which is also why I want to change the viewport, because it gave finer resolution (at the expense of a smaller range). I got a new build, will try to package and upload it as soon as possible.

I think that multiple clues playing at the same time is part of the problem though, because that seems to screw up horribly with the mixing (in fact, a large reason why the sonar swipes instead of playing everything at the same time is to ease it off on the mixer and letting the brain handle it instead).

stewie wrote:

Why is the menu different when you play in video mode? If you just run it normally you get a level editor option and the menu scrolls left to right. In audio video mode its a normal up/down menu with no level editor option.

The level editor is disabled because it's currently completely unusable in audio mode and I need to prevent people from getting in accidentally and getting stuck. (enabling debug mode will bring it back to the menu, but obvious warning goes here)

As for the menu controls, I've already mentioned it before, that's because in video mode the buttons are arranged in neat layouts and the cursors change the options accordingly. In audio mode that doesn't work because you can't see the layouts, so it rearranges the menus into a plain linear fashion.

EDIT: here we go
Windows: http://sol.azurasun.com/download/soleda … -patch.zip
Linux: http://sol.azurasun.com/download/soleda … tch.tar.gz
Source code (ZIP): http://sol.azurasun.com/download/soleda … source.zip
Source code (TAR): http://sol.azurasun.com/download/soleda … rce.tar.gz

This restores the old viewport which was smaller but way less cluttered. Note that you can press up and down to look up and down (otherwise some parts are practically impossible to see). Honestly though I'm not seeing much hope on this...

I think the problem is that Sol levels are simply way too cluttered and there's no way around this short of making a whole new game from scratch. No matter how I approach this there's just way too much to show but not enough room to mark it all clearly.

2015-09-13 23:19:59

Should have double posted instead of edited. There are new links in the previous post, for those who want to try.

Honestly considering just getting rid of the mode, it's pretty obvious that the sonar doesn't work at all no matter how tweaked it is, and the alternative everybody insists on (adding more sound effects everywhere) would require making so many new sounds it'd be out of my budget (and even that is not guaranteed to work out). Any comments on this?

(the Page Up/Down shortcut is staying though, that idea was neat)

2015-09-13 23:42:43

Hi sic.
Well  I had a slightly better time playing the game, I managed to navigate round sort of and was able to blast a few enemies, so its a little better.
I was able to kill at least 7 beffore I died.
Sadly its not quite there yet.
Its on the way but not quite.
I can tell what sfx is an enemy but I don't always clear it eventually I die.
I still can't get through the first level at all.
Now if you are going to remove the mode I guess you will have to refund all the people that invested in the game to make it accessable and I am one of those people.
From playing the game, you are progressing, and I urge you to keep going, I Have no idea what sounds woould go where but maybe people could dgive sounds for things I am not sure if then it would even work as such.

2015-09-13 23:56:39

I'm going to attempt to work with this.

The only issue I see from reading the thread is the issue of having too many clues simultaneously, but the sounds don't seem like an issue to me. Of course, I can give better feedback once I've tried it, but you also stressed this was experimental. That's a very important distinction to make. I'd personally prefer to fix the rudimentary issue instead of completely changing it and adding other sounds instead of the current ones.

Anyway, if I get time tonight, I'm going to grab it and enable it.

2015-09-14 05:26:57

I have yet to purchase the game, but a suggestion that could help...
In our community, most games like these have an object viewer.
In activating it, you can get a list of the objects that are important. This may include doors, enemies, items, and anything you may think might be important.
One game in particular, if you look quickly enough, will allow you to track down flying bullets as they sore through the air!
Also, this started out with bk III, where you pressed and held g, that allowed you to pan a camera around. Think of it as kind of like the camera in the Mario titles.
You could see walls, platforms, and where there wasn't a platform you could tell it was not safe to jump, or if there was a gap between platforms, how far you would have to jump to clear it.
And guys, can we please not be so harsh on this guy? He's a mainstream dev who is just beginning to put in experimental audio support.
Those are my thoughts and suggestions.

2015-09-17 00:10:13

I have a sudgestion. Instead of the beeping, I could give you other sounds, like wood noises for sealing, a wind noise for pits, and other stuff. Just a sudgestion.

--------------------
All of my socials and content platforms can be found on my website (not ready yet).

2015-09-18 00:44:26

Why am I subscribed if I don't get notifications anyway? neutral

So for the record, it seems I was right on the clutter thing after all. Sadly, this viewport is indeed tiny and that makes it awfully hard to see enemies in time. But yeah, if somebody knows how to work around this, that may make this mode more usable, at least until a better alternative can be developed.

crashmaster wrote:

Now if you are going to remove the mode I guess you will have to refund all the people that invested in the game to make it accessable and I am one of those people.

Yeah, I will refund anybody who wants it, just make sure to explicitly contact me (http://www.azurasun.com/contact). I'm still not sure what I'm going to do, it all depends on how things pan out yet.

Omar Alvarado wrote:

In our community, most games like these have an object viewer.
In activating it, you can get a list of the objects that are important. This may include doors, enemies, items, and anything you may think might be important.

Can you give me more details?

Omar Alvarado wrote:

Also, this started out with bk III, where you pressed and held g, that allowed you to pan a camera around. Think of it as kind of like the camera in the Mario titles.

For the record, this new version (1.22) does it vertically with up and down. I dunno how to make it work with left and right though, since those make you run and that would be problematic. Can anybody suggest what keys could be used that are less likely to get in the way?

Omar Alvarado wrote:

And guys, can we please not be so harsh on this guy? He's a mainstream dev who is just beginning to put in experimental audio support.

Eh, I'd prefer people to be blunt and harsh, that's the only way I can measure if this is actually working tongue

garrett wrote:

I have a sudgestion. Instead of the beeping, I could give you other sounds, like wood noises for sealing, a wind noise for pits, and other stuff. Just a sudgestion.

Well, if you think that could help, sure. Again, get in contact with me.

2015-11-15 00:21:26

Random idea, since this is going nowhere: remove all level sonar clues, and instead just do the blunt thing and have the screen reader tell you when you're getting close to something, e.g. "gap" when you're about to run over a pit or "wall" when you're going to stumble upon a wall. Hopefully this should make moving around more usable. Still no idea what to do with enemies and items so they stay with the sonar, but at least they won't have all the level sounds getting in the way.

Still going to implement this, but does anybody think this could be a good quick idea? (also tip: use the titlebar instead of SAPI if you want to use the screen reader instead of the speech engine)

2015-11-15 11:06:14

Hello;

This is not a good idea since it will slow down game play a lot and will not really feel like a game. I'd consider dropping the project. You tried and that was awesome but perhaps this game just isn't meant for audio alone.

I'm gone for real :)

2015-11-15 19:15:30

Slowing down the game was pretty much the main reason why I had considered not doing it in the first place, but after thinking for a bit it's not that much of a problem actually:

1) The level layout is static (it doesn't keep changing), so you don't need constant feedback.
2) You don't need to hear the whole clue to know what's ahead, as long as each clue starts different.

So in practice maybe it works as a good hack. Objects still would need to be represented by ongoing sound as they're constantly moving so you can't just keep track of them, and stuff like footsteps need to stay to help you know when you're indeed still walking, but as far as the level shape itself goes, this may work.

Still implementing this but so far I have this:

"wall" = running into a dead end
"gap" = about to run into a pit
"higher" = running into an upwards stair
"lower" = running into a downwards stair
"indoor" = going under a ceiling
"outdoor" = no ceiling anymore

The ideal thing would be to implement all this with different effects, but that will take quite a while (the current sound engine is quite primitive) so for now I want to try this.

2015-11-15 19:37:16

@SIK
I wouldn't say drop the project, but I also wouldn't advise you even attempting this method.  There is one simple reason that I believe Brad never considered and that is the issue of the keys interrupting the screen reader.

Since screen readers accept input from keys at all times (pretty much, but correct me if I'm wrong), if you're holding down a key and it's triggered to speak, the speech will not even register as having spoken.  The end result?  No speech.  I'd say just have a dounf ro gaps, have sounds when you run into a wall - you don't have to know where a wall is - you can just run into it and find your way from there.

Just my opinion in this current situation.  I like what you're doing, keep at it.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.
***If you wish to refer to me in @replies, use Sightless***

2015-11-15 19:53:33

Do they trigger even when they have no effect in the GUI at all? (text input is disabled, there are no controls inside the window, and the keys in question are the arrows and spacebar) Although I guess I shouldn't underestimate broken software... (also doesn't this mean that the screen reader for HUD changes is a bad idea too?)

It seriously sounds that until I completely drop the current engine there's no way to fix this at all (I have something better right now, but it's not in condition for backporting yet and lacks music support).

2015-11-15 20:57:52

The best example to look at would be swamp - when you are holding down the walking keys, there are interrupted messages etc.

I wouldn't mind if someone comes in here and corrects me/gives a better suggestion on how to correct/resolve the issue, on either end.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.
***If you wish to refer to me in @replies, use Sightless***

2015-11-15 21:35:10

Yeah, I'm so happy I'm using gamepad all the time LOL

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2015-11-15 21:44:54

I really should get around to trying this game...
Anyway, as far as preventing speech getting interrupted, this is easy to fix on the screen reader side as most screen readers have options to turn this off, or at least JAWS and NVDA do. In the case of NVDA, you can do this in the keyboard settings dialog, speech interrupt for enter key and speech interrupt for typed characters. Unchecking them will prevent this from happening and the configuration can be saved into a configuration profile so that it's only active in the game

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2015-11-15 22:08:53

Normally, I would make an edit, but this is a slightly different point, so it'll just be a second post.
First of all, don't drop the project. I gotta say for only 2 people, Brad and Crashmaster managed to get quite a lot of negativity into this thread. For someone who plays as many mainstream games as audio ones, I for one have to say I really appreciate your efords.
So one idea that crossed my mind which would help to reduce the audio clutter is that not all sounds have to play continuously. The sounds for the various platforms and slopes could be represented as echos of your footsteps that would still be higher or lower in pitch based on where the platforms are. The sounds for enemies, hazards and powerups should probably still keep looping as they are less common and more important. You may have to change the footstep sound for this though because the one you have now is very loud and long.

2015-11-15 22:35:11

Thanks.

(warning: rant ahead, skip two paragraphs)

Not going to abandon it, but the sound engine annoys me. The problem is this: sound effects are grouped into categories (player sounds, item sounds, enemy sounds, etc.), and it can play only one of each at a time. This was done as a way to prevent overloading from the same sound playing too often (something common in platformers) but in the end Sol didn't end up having this issue. Instead, now it's being a hindrance to these kind of suggestions as they require being able to play the same sound effects several times, and each of those instances being processed separately. The sonar is rendered separately on its own mixer rather than through sound effects (hence why it uses beeps: it doesn't even touch the OGG files).

I now have new sound code that doesn't have this issue but it's on a different game engine altogether and backporting it wouldn't be easy since it depends on some other facilities (mostly dealing with low-level stuff like memory allocation and text processing). The idea is ultimately to port the whole game over to it, but that will take a long while, hence why I'm looking for quick hacks I can implement in the old engine instead but so far all seem rather bad. This is what's getting me annoyed.

(rant over)

Anyway, maybe I should try this idea anyway. Thinking about this, if I were to use sound effects instead of the screen reader, most of this code would be the same anyway save for a few lines, so either way the effort would be worth it, right? (but I need to figure out where to get suitable sound effects then)

pitermach wrote:

You may have to change the footstep sound for this though because the one you have now is very loud and long.

But it (each step) goes unhearable after like 0.1 seconds... (I still need to change it though, I assumed a kick drum would sound like a shoe on a hard floor, but people think otherwise)

2015-11-15 23:10:04

Re: sounds
Your best bet would be something like freesound, which is completely community based and all sounds you can find there are either creative commons or public domain so it will fit with the fact the game is open source. You need an account to download sounds which is free. If you need help with editting them or finding good ones, I'd be happy to help as I've worked on game sound design before

2015-11-16 07:21:26

(but I need to figure out where to get suitable sound effects then)

I've made a number of posts the past while in the Developer section linking to a ton of royalty free/free sound samples from various sources that might help, here, here, and here.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2015-11-16 09:00:48

Hello;

I'm not trying to be negative, I like the idea of the game and played it and managed to jump on a few robots.

I didn't think the screen reader idea would work is all. As Sightless said the speech would keep being interrupted and that wouldn't do for a game that might have a lot of things to jump over. But; if I'm wrong and this game works out, that would be awesome! So looks like I was wrong in saying drop the project. But I will say this, in my opinion the sounds really need quite a big change.

I understand your going for a game that is using quite old sounding sounds and or graphics, or something along those lines; but the sounds at the moment are just beeps and blips and other sounds like that which are not very informative.

I'm glad that you're thinking of porting this game over to the other engine. It will take a while, that's true' but, it will be worth it from what I'm reading.

I'm gone for real :)

2015-11-17 01:38:48

To be fair, nearly all of those beeps come from the sonar and most (almost all) of them are those level clues I'm trying to replace with this tongue The rest of the sound effects are not even remotely as beepy (certain cheat aside).

If you're curious to see what I mean and want to hear the sound effects on their own, the soledad.dat file can be opened with 7-zip, inside the sounds folder there are a lot of OGG files which are the sound effects. I actually just documented that today, in fact.

2015-12-13 19:50:00

I'm back.

Just gonna say that I'm gonna stop with patches and skip ahead to 1.3 (there are too many updates). I somehow managed to recreate a simplified version of the new sound engine in the old one so clues now aren't beeps, and even better, I got permission from SunSpire (the composer) to edit his sound effects so now there are many new ones for the clues. So far there are 34 new sound effects and I'm still not done. Also finally acquired some headphones.

Later I'll post an OGG of how it sounds (I want to add some important clue first). At least now I can recognize each region easily even without stereo. Not sure how accurate it sounds to a blind person (who is more trained to subtle hints) but I hope it'll be playable now.

2015-12-18 05:40:53

@sik. Well I would explain it but I think a recording would explain much better than communicating via text. I'll make the recording and upload to google drive for you..

--------------------
All of my socials and content platforms can be found on my website (not ready yet).