2015-12-07 18:41:47

Myself, when I kicked Itunes, I also kicked all folders which was surprisingly difficult, sinse while I'd rather manage my own backups instead of relying on an auto cloud service, in terms of personal hassle it's far less trouble than Itunes ever was, plus of course it means I can be a lazy bumb and never bother backing up my Iphone data big_smile.

Again why with all the library rubbish? What is this about giving everyone a "media library" when you already have folders with files in them. if people want one, fare enough, but why force everyone! to have one.

In Wmp I occasionally do a library purge of everything I ripped (and of course I do not delete from my computer when deleted from wmp), just for convenience, although even though I'm not a massive fan of Wmp I do find it's interface (especially with the menus), preferable to Itunes, then again it's fairly easy to setup so that all I need to do to rip a cd is stick it in and select from the dropdown then wait until it pops out (I also have new rips delivered streight to my downloads folder), so really i don't have to use Wmp's interface at all.

I disagree though about microsoft's customization of interfaces being an option over apples, not with the metro rubbish on Windows 10.

As to audio grabber, again I had no problems. I seem to remember selecting not to install  a couple of things, but as usual it was just a matter of reading and checking the right boxes.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-12-08 03:47:01

Sebby, Why should I have to change my habbits just to suit Apple, as far as I'm concerned, Apple can pound sand.

When I first tried to get Media Monkey from their site, all their download links did was bounce me between two pages that tried to sell me the Gold version. I eventually gave up and went to softonic.com, a download site that mirrors their file and got it from there.

When I started the installer, the first thing I got was a page saying that to install Media Monkey I had to agree to the installation of additional programs from their advertising partners, and that if I didn't want them I could uninstall them after they've been installed. Unbeknownst to me, while I was reading that page the unwanted extra programs were already being installed! So, Media Monkey can go to hell.

Dark,

That's encouraging news about Audio Grabber, it was an interesting sounding program.

Everybody and their brothers all think they know what's good for us, so they force their ideas down our throats.

That was one of the nice things about the Zune software, not only was it very forgiving of changes made to your library outside the program, it adapted to them without a single complaint. Plus, in the easily reachable configuration options, you could set the folders for every different type of media the Zune software handles, so you can fit it to the way you do thingts. That's why I lament that it's user interface is inaccessible to screen readers. Or at least it's inaccessible to JAWS, I never tried it with any other screen readers. I personally would be absolutely thrilled and would be willing to pay for a script that make the Zune software accessible. That's how much I thought of itI keep a copy of its installer just in case that actually happens.

And here I thought iTunes was Apples version of the Zune software. Sheesh, what a laugh!

2015-12-08 12:50:31

I agree on Itunes and Apple Figment. What worries me more are the amount of people who say "well it's your! fault for not complying with Apple if you want to use their products" As though Apple were some almighty god who's commandmants must not be broken.

Apple are to me like any other company. Some things they do are great, some are not, and it's up to me as a rational individual to say what I find which way, but the amount of people who swallow everything and just turn into Apple's happy little drones is really quite scary. Even as far as Drm and restrictions go.

As to Zune, I've heard of it but never used it, but then again as I said I've never really had a need for all that library stuff myself anyway.

Again this is where I find Winamp still to be superior to most anything else. it plays stuff very efficiently (including in wonky game music formats), and though it has functions such as a library, equalizer, playlist editer etc, you just choose which bits you want showing and which to turn off. So the library is there if you want it and not if you don't.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-12-08 14:11:41

Presumably because Apple thinks you'll appreciate their way of doing things. I actually quite like it; it makes for very many useful benefits; if nothing else you get a very nice jukebox and media manager. But I've no doubt Saint Jobs was well aware that the sex appeal of Apple's hardware products would be a useful draw for iTunes and its store, too. Just like proprietary media players that only used Windows Media Player's DRM would be just the thing for Microsoft's coffers, for instance. smile Of course you may provide substitutes for the bits of iTunes that you wouldn't otherwise get (remote and AirPlay, mostly) but it'll be much harder. File-based access only goes so far. You could use something like Stream To Me to get something like iTunes Match without the cloud. UPnP AV as opposed to AirPlay. Bluetooth or infra-red remotes. And so on. But only iTunes wraps it all up in a pretty package that's joyful to use if you're willing to make a few concessions and work a bit harder to get your files all tagged.

Ah, Softonic. I fear that was your mistake. Don't grab files from them again. They are now just like the other parasites CNet download.com, FileHippo, Softpedia, SourceForge and, tragically, MacUpdate. Just do not download from third-party sites.

Dark, I agree with you about iFanatics; they give the rational Apple product users a bad name. Sadly, what they dish out in turns of sheer crass devotion is more than made up by the numerous irrational Apple haters, who mostly take pride in their elitist attitude to technology (usually, it seems to me, on grounds of price) and refuse to acknowledge the genuinely fine points of Apple's ecosystem. Since both sides are equally wrong, I think it's altogether best to let the children fight it out in the playground and just watch from the sidelines.

Just myself, as usual.

2015-12-08 17:40:26

Dark,

Yeah, I know all about Apple fan boys for whom Apple is a god and can do no wrong. Sounds like Sebby is one with that last post about how wonderful iTunes is.

There are also plenty of Apple fan boys over at Applevis.com. Their general chat section says that your subjects should be restricted to anything about Apple products. The last time I looked, iTunes for Windows is an Apple product, so I thought my questions about it were appropriate. I was told that because the version of iTunes I was talking about didn't run on an Apple product, that my questions weren't appropriate, so they deleted them. I no longer participate in any discussions there, because I felt that they weren't being fair with me. They are a website about the accessibility of Apple products which was exactly what I wanted to get help with. iTunes is an Apple product and yet because I don't use a Macintosh, my questions were censered.

It's attitudes like that from Apple fan boys that drive people away from Apple. I am getting rid of my iPod, my next phone will not be an iPhone, and I will remove iTunes and anything else Apple, like Quicktime, from my computer. I'm sure the fan boys will be very happy they succeeded in chasing yet another customer away from their god.

2015-12-08 19:08:33

@Sebby, I disagree the "presumably because apple thinks you will like their way of doing things" attitude has any give and take to it.
It's just like if you had a town with only three supermarkets and no other shops for miles, and one supermarket said "Well not only will we only stock our own produce, but you cannot come in with a shopping bag you didn't buy from us, or park in the driveway, or cook with our products if your mixing them with anyone else's"

It's restrictive monopoly pure and simple. Apple could support file based playback, could support usb transfer, they just don't! and when you go on about clouds and data and what not, my brain goes la la la la la la why can't I just play the files on my computer like I always did? Oh yeah, sinse that wouldn't be making money for Apple.

As I've said before, I don't give a rat's rear end about any fof computery wootery, I don't care how! something works or what fancy names it's got, I care what I can do with it, and if I can't get my! media collection through Itunes without all these shenanigans,, itunes is an inferior program to Winamp pure and simple.
Indeed I do wonder how much of both the marketing of Apple and Microsoft depends upon blinding people with science and the computery wootery, when actually much of the vaunted capabilities are things that could equally be done with any semi good media player, a usb mp3 player and decent file indexing.

@Figment, despite the above semi diatribe about Apple's restrictions, I will say Apple has it's good points,  rabbid fan girls and boys not withstanding.
I've had hours of fun out of my Iphone, and great access to many useful services. My lady had a windows phone, and even with basic phone functions it was infinitely inferior to Ios with it's built in voiceover, not to speak of all the other capabilities and software made for Ios.

There is a good reason Ios is now probably the second most popular platform for audio games and useful applications for blind gamers, and that is because it's  extremely usable, and for the most part highly efficient, despite the inequities with media, indeed it's the good qualities of things like the Ios interface, use of bluetooth, gyro controls etc not to mention Voiceover (which I have to say is a great way of accessing a touch screen), that make the hole Itunes situation get on my pecks so much.

So, personally I would suggesd just as the Appl zealots are wrong, you shouldn't join the ranks of the irrational haters either, but just weight up the good and bad points yourself, use the bits you wish and not the bits you don't.

2015-12-08 19:31:33 (edited by Sebby 2015-12-08 19:52:59)

@Figment:

Concerning my status as a devoted Apple-worshipper, could be, could be. I'm hardly the most reliable person to suggest otherwise. But I do think iTunes fits my needs. If you don't agree, just don't use it. Apple is most certainly not forcing you--in fact, as things stand, you have more options than ever for doing without if you choose to. You will not get the same experience, but it's a compromise worth making if you think that iTunes gives you no benefits. Different spokes for different folks and all that. Just try not to cut your nose off to spite your face. Are you sure you don't just hate Apple and all its satisfied customers with a burning passion? smile

I don't frequent AppleVis myself much either; I'm afraid things have got just a bit too obsessive for my taste. However, their articles and podcasts remain pretty excellent. If you find you can't get help from them, then the macvisionaries Google Group will certainly help you; despite the name, it discusses all of the Apple sphere including iOS, and there are certainly Windows-only users there too. I often check it out and the atmosphere is very friendly. You might give that a try.

@Dark:

My issue is not that I disagree it could be done better, or that I believe there could not be more choice. On the contrary, as I've often said, it gets on my nerves that Apple (or Microsoft, or Nokia, or Cisco, or whoever) have found ways to lock people in in ways that could easily have been avoided if interoperability were truly a priority. That doesn't change the fact that Apple simply chose one way of doing something (media management) which just happens to work better for one group at the expense of the other, and that the people for whom it is a useful abstraction are not in the slightest bit inconvenienced. Another way to think about this might be that if you were to start out your CD ripping project with iTunes, you might have finished up with a different opinion of iTunes than you do now. I'll be the first to throw a company under a bus for doing something clearly anti-consumer, but in this case I simply can't see how it is: you have a choice, you just prefer not to take it. That's awesome, but it's not some sort of conspiracy to exclude you from using your iPhone to play music, it's just a consequence of a choice that Apple made which simply means you can't use iTunes the way Apple designed it. Happily, as we know, you can work around all of the iTunes problems by ditching iOS as a music player (get a Stream, use different apps, whatever). That is something I'm wholeheartedly behind supporting people in doing if they choose to.

And now, for something completely different:

I just got a Sovereign USB memory stick player from RNIB (now sold out, sadly) for use as a Bluetooth speaker. It accepts USB memory sticks, and cost less than £50. No doubt also available from elsewhere for less. It's made by Kings Audio, and is about the most massively simple device imaginable. It's not suitable for taking about with you because it has two large speakers but it's battery-powered and portable. I am using it as my bedside player and am loving it. If you can get hold of one, you should. It has exactly four controls: start of folder reset, rewind/skip-back, play/pause, and fast-forward/skip-forward. Reset switches folders, and the other three controls do what you expect. The device saves its place when powered off, by means of its volume/power dial. And when there is no stick inserted, it becomes a Bluetooth speaker, which iOS or whatever can stream to for anything that can't be dumped on the stick (not supplied). It takes up to 32 GB FAT32-formatted media. And of course RNIB's free talking books are compatible with it. My stick now has about 18GB of audiobooks on it. This will make a great addition to my Stream. Bloody marvellous, if you can get one.

Just myself, as usual.

2015-12-08 20:57:33

@Sebby, I'm afraid this is probably where we agree to disagree sinse we perceive the situation differently. You like Itunes organization, I do not.
I've got  no problem about people liking things that I don't, my problem is that Apple have not given those who do not like their way of doing things an alternative, or made Itunes flexible enough to fit the needs of people who just want to do their own organizing by files and folders. Contrast the case of Itunes with that of the Seagate external drive I bought the other day. it has Seagate's own proprietory (and I believe inaccessible), backup software on there if you want to install it.
I however simply deleted Seagate's program and did a bog standard copy of what I want on the drive, no harm, no foul. Now why can't I do that with my Iphone? Just load on what music I want and if I bought music take it off the same way?

I personally do think the motivation for this is intentionally obstructive and meant to create a monopoly, where Itunes is the only purchicing and distribution method people use to interact with Apple devices, indeed they tried a similar thing with the lightning connector system in place of Usb or changing the ring configuration on the standard 3.5 cm headphone jacks so the Iphone would only take Apple licensed connectors.
This is a tendency both Apple and Microsoft have shown. They can give it fancy names like vertical intigration or centralization or what not, but to me it's "You must buy all our products!" No different from those coffee makers that only take refills from the specific company who made them and can't be used to either make coffee from any other producer, or even from scratch.

As I said, if you like Itunes fare enough, however Apple should by rights stop being a hog for those of us who don't and won't be convinced by Apple's propergander that just because the big almighty coorporation say so that doesn't mean it is best or even what we want. Indeed in a lot of ways I personally am capitalism's worst nightmare, a person who knows exactly what he wants for himself rather than being convinced of what he wants by any company.

On a less philosophical level, as I said,I definitely don't regard Apple as all badat all, nor would I confuse the opinions of some fans with the company itself, (I once met a total git who represented greenpeace!).
Itunes and media in general aside, there are many things in the Iphone I really! like, and depending upon the improvements from the Iphone 5, I'll possibly be getting a series 7 phone and maybe still a Mac.

As to your bluetooth speaker player, sounds very similar to the boombox I bought for my dad. It's basically as you describe, but a radio when the stick is out instead of a bluetooth speaker.

As basic as it goes, but perfect for my dad and a great way for me to share my audiobooks with him, indeed it was ironic that though my dad is fully endowed with eyeballs it took a vi product to be simple enough for his technical skills or lack there of.

And that! is definitely a case of something that is no use to me, not with my complex folders and subfolders and what not, but very useful to someone else, however fortunately I'm not forced to use one and can have my Victor Stream instead :D.

Btw, the one problem with the boombox is that it takes no account of folders at all. It'll play all files in alpha numeric order. So when I put stuff on for my dad, I can't even put two episodes of a radio drama if they're in episode folders ripped from the original discs with each having numbered tracks.

2015-12-09 00:22:30

@Dark: fair enough, I agree that this is the point where we agree to disagree. I think that was the conclusion of the last conversation we had on this subject, too. I hate to suggest that your opinion is not relevant--it's entirely relevant--but I can see that it's quite sufficiently settled that I'm not going to change it.

As to motive, well it's certainly known that Apple intentionally locked iTunes to iPod, and that this occurred at a time of pronounced music sales through Apple's store. That at the time the store came into effect, most of iTunes true virtues as an awesome jukebox faded into the background. No surprises there, none at all. And of course the store was selling DRM, so people didn't have a choice about where they played their music after purchasing it from the store, with the locking to iTunes guaranteeing that no other store could take its place. That was then: DRM is since gone, but the tie-in between iTunes and iOS and iPod is still strong. So, if you don't like libraries, you will find the process of using iOS Music unpleasant. I will stress again, just one more time: you can use iTunes to sync files outside the iTunes library, without using it as a player. You just have to provide some tags, in any application, in order to get meaningful track names on your iOS device. This will be the case for anything you buy from any music store now, for example Amazon. iTunes lock-in, for me, is now entirely limited to the DRM in Apple's other stuff--films, TV episodes, etc. I do not regard these as valuable enough to fret over the portability of them, and will never buy DRM content I regard as valuable, only CDs and DVDs. In this regard I believe we are both similarly philosophically aligned.

As for the Sovereign, it definitely handles subdirectories. I have no idea why it has such a wide mainstream appeal, but I can certainly see why many blind people would like it a lot. It really is braindead simple. Perhaps, as you said, the appeal is in the simplicity. My old USB2 memory stick containing wav files of the audiobooks in their original subdirectory layout is handled just fine, one directory per press of the reset key, no matter the depth of nesting. Very nice. The rips that originally came from my iTunes library had to be converted to MP3 or WAV which is easy enough to do. RNIB delivers the book files already in MP3 on the root of their little drives. Anybody can get these now from the Talking Book Service. It really does feel like the good old days of listening to talking books.

Just myself, as usual.

2015-12-09 18:31:33

@Sebby, even though Drm for all content is something hat Apple have had to relax on, I still am of the opinion the implicit difficulties with Itunes interacting with anything none Apple are entirely intentional on Apple's part.
As to getting stuff from Itunes, several times I tried ripping cds into Itunes to see if I could find them. I could play them with the play menu but could I find the files? could I hell.
In the same way, I never really got the hole sink thing, sinse all I wanted to do was put stuff on my Iphone from my existing library, what did it need to sink for?
When however I did sink stuff, unless I created playlist folders to mirror my own folder structure, I couldn't find them on the phone either, or mirrors of them in the my music/itunes folder.
Of course, Itunes is such an unwieldy hog to navigate with all it's trees and macabre functions (why the hell a media system has to be used for backing up ap data and god knows what), it's entirely possible I made a mistake, however why should! I! have to be the one who has to "Get used to" Apple's program and way of doing things, I'm the customer, Apple should serve me!
Then again I know that's a radical idea for most modern businesses who tend to view customers as simply a convenient way to convert sellables into prophet with no more individual desire than a conveyer belt.

Compare the situation to just plugging in my Victor stream and going copy with whatever the heck I want, indeed the first time I did this last October the ease was amazing! no more difficult than when I used to copy stuff onto my laptop.

As I said, that people like Itunes and libraries and such I don't have a problem with, my problem is the "one way or else!" attitude, which is why until Apple give us a usable file system for putting media on and off Ios devices I shan't be either buying anything through Itunes on my phone or playing any media on it either.

All that being said, I can say in terms of pure hardware and some functions of the Os I do like the Ios system very much, heck I was well impressed last night trying out blindfold breakout with just how fun controlling the bat with a gyro was, ---- reminded me of playing the original Atari version with those twistable paddle controllers.

So, please don't mistake me for a total Apple Hater, ---- I'm just a total Itunes hater :d.

2015-12-09 18:36:52

Sebby;

Ah, but that is where you are wrong. If you want to load media on your iOS device, your only choice is iTunes. Apple could have been people friendly and simply made their devices look like external mass storage devices with preset folders for where to put things, like music, videos, podcasts, books, etc. The let the users organize things their way.

Or if they had to have iTunes, make it flexible enough to work with the user, like Microsoft did with their Zune software, not against them.

Sebby wrote:

Are you sure you don't just hate Apple and all its satisfied customers with a burning passion?

Now, let's not get personal.

As for Apple, I was a huge fan during the Apple 2's heyday, I worked at an Apple dealer doing customer service and technical support, and was well known around the area for my skills with the Apple 2, there wasn't anything I couldn't find a way to accomplish with it. I saw the original Macintosh before the rest of the world did during the service and support training I took in preparation for its release. I didn't like it from the start, you were too isolated from the machine for my tastes. Then Jobs started a civil war within Apple between the Apple 2 and Macintosh teams that caused the demise of the Apple 2 and almost drove Apple itself out of business. When I saw where the Apple 2 was going with the Apple 2gs, I sold off all my Apple 2 stuff while the gittin' was good, and jumped into the IBM compatible PC market with both feet and ignored Apple ever since.

The only reason I have an iPhone now is because, two years ago I needed an accessible phone and Android's accessibility back then was pretty bad.

Same for the iPod, the only reason I have it is because I needed something accessible to replace my inaccessible Zune player.

Now I have the very accessible Victor Reader Stream to replace the iPod, which will be sold, which needs no proprietary software to load menia on it. Just plug it into a USB port and it shows up as a mass storage device. Easy, peasy.

The contract for my iPhone expires this month, so if I want to I can now change phones, I plan to revisit Android because I liked it so much better than iOS.

No, I don't hate Apple or its customers, I just choose to want more choices than Apple wants to give me, so I choose to avoid them as much as I can.

iOS is a walled garden, and no matter how pleasant you make it, a prison is still a prison.

2015-12-09 19:17:31

@Figment, while I've made my own thoughts on Itunes very clear, I will say that whatever else, the Iphone is a superior experience as a basic tablet/smartphone, both in terms of it's own native access, and in terms of what has been created for it.
Yes, those developers had to pay Apple, but as I said there's a point of taking the bad with the good, and Ios has a lot of good especially for Vi users. Games, useful aps from satnav to identification software, natively useful functions like Siri etc.

Feel free to try out Android if you wish. For me however the decision to buy an Iphone was always based on the fact of what I could do with it, and with games like king of dragon pass, Pappasangre and much more going it wasn't really a contest, indeed even now in terms of purely usable applications and games and such the Android situation could be better.

I have also heard Android can! still have access problems due to the amount of different service providers mucking about with the os configuration and the fact that one Android device might not have even basic optimized functions for Accessibility, indeed I did hear talkback had troubles with basic html pages outside of Google chrome, though it is entirely possible that problem was fixed.

I'm not going to start the Android debate, particularly sinse personally as Android has far less available games and applications than Ios it was never something I considered or looked into myself, and so my knolidge is second hand. I however would recommend considering that just because Apple's handling of media and intigration is pretty crappy, that doesn't mean everything iss, rabbid fans or not.

Myself, I'll take the good and find alternatives to the bad stuff, which is why I have a pocket in my shoulder bag reserved just for my Iphone, my Victor, and my earbuds which I keep in a very awesome little tin with a dragon on it, because dragons are cool!

2015-12-09 20:29:23

Dark,

For me, the number of games there are doesn't mean any thing, to me, my phone is a communication and information device, not an entertainment device.

I said I would look at Android, not that I would switch. I may not care for iOS and Apple's controlling nature, but I care more about accessibility.

My first two smart phones were Android phones, the first was made by Motorola and was a fabulous phone, of course back then I could still see so accessibility wasn't an issue. My second phone was made by LG, I didn't like it very much. Where my first phone just looked like a mass storage device to my computer, the second phone required custom drivers and custom software to access it and I could never get the drivers to work, any attempt to install them crashed Windows.

Plus, I started needing accessibility functions while I was using that phone. Everyone with phones made by Samsung, Motorola, etc. said that Talkback was great, but, I had nothing but trouble with it on my LG phone. One problem was that if Talkback was active you could not answer the phone because Talkback swallowed the gesture to answer the ccall so the phone never saw it. Another problem was that to make room for their customizations, LG removed many of the labels that Talkback needed, so for a lot of controls you just got generic stuff like, button, or graphic. Some controls without labels Talkback couldn't see or had nothing to say about them so it skipped over them looking for text to read. In all, the LG phone's accessibility was pretty bad.

I made the mistake of updating my iPhone to iOS 9, I find it sluggish, and buggier than iOS 8. Apple really needs to spend some serious time fixing the many bugs iOS and it's accessibility features has rather than continuing to pile on more features that just make it slower and buggier.

Both sides have their pros and cons, so we'll just agree to disagree, and leave it at that.

2015-12-09 21:09:06

@Figment, if I had just wanted a phone, I'd probably have stuck with the nockier I had in 2012. It had no features at all and was at the same time %100 inaccessible, and yet completely accessible, because while it had no speech whatsoever, it was just a phone and did nothing else (even the answer phone was provided by my mobile provider not a function of the phone itself).

Obviously it depends upon the person, but for me I was mainly interested in the Iphone as more than a phone. I got the Iphone rather than the Ipad because it seemed silly to miss out on a talking phone if I was getting the rest, but the phone, including texting and e-mail  was only part of it.

Even if your not at all interested in games on Ios though there are lots of very useful access related aps. One for example I use a lot is blind square, which tells you the locations and descriptions of objects around you. There are also several volunteer services where you point your phone at an object and a person on the other end will identify it for you.
There is a barcode reader that will scan and automatically identify common household products (will it will in the states apparently it doesn't work on none Us stuff), etc.

then there are basic things like Siri, for example when planning my upcoming trip to america I needed an instant currency convertion to see how much my traveller's checks would be so just asked siri to convert the amount. In fairness Android does have a similar thing to siri, though whether it works the same way and is as useful I'm not sure of.

This isn't to say "don't use android!" just to point out that there are lots of bennifits to Ios that for me at least make it worth it despite the cruddiness of it's media intigration.

As to Ios 9, personally with each Ios version I've always wated a good few version upgrades before I bother installing the new os. I did with 7 and 8 and I intend to with 9. That way software gets updated, bugs get squashed, and over all performance gets faster. I recall terrible complaints about Ios 8 slowdown originally, which sinse got fixed, indeed I get the strong impression Apple is very quick to rush out Os updates and then have to fill in the cracks later, though fortunately at least with 7 and 8 they've done this, so I don't see why it'll be different with 9.

2015-12-09 22:02:12

Dark,

If I switch, I'm not going backwards, Android will have to show that it's accessibility is at least as good as iOS's.

The only really good bar code scanner was Red Laser, but it's turning out to be just a demo app to show off the developers bar code scanning sofrware. When it sees a bar code it either crashes to the home screen or returns an empty product information screen, and hasn't been updated in over a year. The next best bar code scanner is only useable if you know where the bar code is because the object and the camera have to be motionless for 5 seconds before it will even begin to recognize that it's looking at a bar code. So for now, I use Red Laser to find the bar code and Digit Eyes to identify the product.

Instead of Blind Square, I chose to use a Trekker Breeze Plus, which I got the same time I ordered the Victor Reader Stream. That way I don't drain the phone's batteries by using it as a GPS navagater.

Now I have another Apple created problem, I am having some problems with my iPhone so I want to do a full reset to see if that clears it up. Before I do the reset, I want to back up the phone, and as you know, that means using iTunes.

Well, iTunes won't back up my phone because it thinks the phone is synced with another music library, iTunes solution? Erase the phone , then sync it with the current library! Erase the phone? But I want to back it up! Absolutely ridiculous! And effing stupid! And wonderful Apple in their can do no wrong, according to some people, greatness, provide no alternative so I can back up my phone.

I know some people that dearly need this to happen to them, then maybe they'll open their eyes and see how falible their god is.

2015-12-10 03:14:22

I think it was dark who asked about how you retrieve track titles using Audiograbber. It's pretty easy. All you have to do is, once you've inserted the CD and the tracklist appears, go into the CD menu, then click on get track names from Freedb. There's also an option to get track names from the CD itself, although I've never had any luck with that.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2015-12-10 03:37:05

If I recall what I learned about CD technology what seems like a lifetime ago, though it must have been only yesterday, to get CD and track titles from a CD requires that the CD drive support CD text and that the CD have the CD text on it. Most CDs don't have it because it was a technology that never really took off. So it is largely ignored these days. Especially when just about everybody just uses the CD db over the internet to get the same information. Most CD rippers don't even bother to look for it on the CD.

2015-12-10 05:25:40

Gene, have you tried the icloud backup? If that doesn't work, this may seem like a last resort, but, you're gonna need to jailbreak, open ssh access into your phone, ssh into your phone, then grab everything from the phone in a classic explorer like interface with some differences for copying and pasting. The advantage of this, if you're already jailbroken, is you don't need to use itunes, but the disadvantage, of course, is that you need to jailbreak if not done already. It's a shame that external mass storage hasn't been touched since the older android and windows phones. Apple, finally, has made an iphone compatible sd card reader. In the future, you could probably back up to that.

2015-12-10 07:40:34

@Figment, I thought there was a better product scanner than either of the ones you mention, though perhaps ask in a fresh topic.
As regards backups, the cloud is probably what I'd use here sinse while I've got no problem with the hole jailbreak thing I'm not confident enough to avoid buggering my phone up in the process.
Hopefully if Apple are going Sd card they might be considering actually opening file access somewhat, though I would bet on past performance it'll probably only take official I Sd cards from Apple's own sd card shop and only run with the new I spoons program big_smile.

@Turtlepower thanks for the tip on audiograbber, that's handy to know.

2015-12-10 15:06:57

Figment: no, I'm really not wrong, you simply want a feature out of the box that iOS devices don’t provide. Download Dropbox from the App Store, and put your music and videos in your Dropbox. Now you have music and videos, without iTunes. Or install VLC, which also supports iCloud. There are local disk apps too which pretend to be file servers, SMB client apps for your network shares, public streaming services like Spotify or Apple or Google Music, and of course any protocol that allows remote access will work (Stream To Me, Transmit/SSH, etc). Finally, if it's about the cable, there are still other options for accessing the media folder itself (but not the structure) such as DiskAid, although these rely on understanding a closed protocol. And various alternative media managers, specifically MediaMonkey, support iOS directly, albeit less well than iTunes can. You have, as I said, more choice now than you've ever had. The wonderful irony, of course, is that you are absolutely correct that Apple were once blocking competition; the original iPod was a mass storage device and Apple locked out competitors by encrypting the database file with secrets only known to iTunes, and added insult to injury by inviting you to use that iPod in "Disk mode" to access any free space, which presented an empty drive with a hidden directory on it to operating systems, but no music. That's impractical today because mass storage requires exclusive access to the filesystem, so nobody does it. Happily, nowadays you only require iTunes for the making of local backups, and if you're willing to forego even those, there's always iCloud. It's also the only way to fully restore the firmware on your device, if the need arises, and to access iTunes Match if you want to store your music in the Apple cloud for use by the Music app, which is another effective way to cut the chord. It's honestly a shame iTunes is such a useful piece of software; I'd love nothing more than to see it torn to pieces, so people could pick and choose the bits they want. Perhaps, if Apple ever figures out how to derive all information from file structure, it could be copy-paste-compatible or iOS could move to MTP like Android does (currently unsupported by Mac OS without third-party tools, BTW). Until then the best you can do is tag your files and transfer them using the iTunes manual sync mode. And much as I believe Apple deserves bad karma for lock-in, this doesn't strike me as in any sense anti-competitive; at best it’s just particularly annoying to Windows users.

Interesting history you had there with Apple. FWIW, I had a brief encounter with OS 9 (a musician friend of mine) and it all seemed very parochial then, too. I think that Apple rightly earned its reputation for being, in essence, AOL for computer users. At this time, Apple did not have an accessibility solution of its own. But I didn’t move to the Mac until OS X Leopard in 2008 (I was distinctly unimpressed when Tiger first came out with VoiceOver), when Microsoft were still trying to figure out how to do user interfaces and becoming very envious of the competition with the disastrous result that was Vista, and Apple were simply changing the rules on accessibility with a rock-solid general-purpose OS, and that was a very good time indeed to be an advocate. Not sure I could still say that, but I guess the prove is in the pudding, since I’m not using Windows or Android. There was no contest in the smartphone wars either; by the time Android came out with TalkBack, iOS was already streaks ahead.

Nowadays, I think Apple’s business priorities are distinctly less pro-user and distinctly more pro-business with the success of its stores and iOS and the resulting “iOSification” of OS X, and with the new leadership, I’ve been trying to get off the addiction. Apple’s grasp of accessibility is very good, though, so it’s quite difficult to justify. As things stand, going back to Windows just hurts my head, iOS is buggy but still the best, Android is in what seems to be a perpetual state of near-readiness and OS X is stable and robust, has fewer choices and is clearly in decay as iOS takes it over, but is still a great joy to use. I’m largely all right with the iOS and OS X integration, although I’m increasingly annoyed by Apple’s dumbing down of OS X to meet the needs of iOS users. I’m not convinced this can be totally ignored, but it can definitely be worked around. Even without considering accessibility, I’m a big believer in going with what your needs dictate. It sounds to me like your objections are primarily based on principle, and maybe you’d benefit from looking at the landscape again yourself with an eye out for more practical concerns, to see which actually suits you best. Choices aren’t always optimal. Personally, my sympathies for the positive points of the Windows accessibility market are more than hurt by Windows’ continued lack of user interface flexibility for those who dislike the direction MS are taking, the Win10 disaster and the disrespect for user privacy; likewise for Android’s flexibility as compared to iOS, but for its complete lack of usable accessibility and user privacy. FWIW, I still objectively feel that Android is inadequately accessible at the moment. There are presumably other discussions on here (and ones you could start) to find recommendations for making your Android "Experience" as comfortable as possible, but I'm afraid I don't think Google's commitment in that department is concrete enough, even with version 5 which is undoubtedly a big step forward. You could try Chrome+ChromeVox and ChromeOS, though. It's cheap enough to do, and it's quite good, if a little steep learning-curve wise. Familiarity with VoiceOver commands is helpful but not required, in the sense that the commands are different but the strategy very similar, with two-handed navigation that can be converted to single-handed navigation if required. And ChromeOS itself is very simple to understand and use, has very limited diversification, and is very safe. Totally unlike Android, in other words. I have to imagine that it's a superior accessibility experience only because ChromeOS is big in the education sector.

I used Nokia series 60 back in the day. I was smitten, but I see why it had to die out, eventually. It was a smartphone, with full keyboard control and a screen reader (Talks, in my case). There were quite a few useful apps for it, like an instant messenger and a full-featured SIP client. Great stuff.

iOS 9.2 is now out. Install it, then hard reset your device, to see instant speed improvements. If you were like me and had that awful interface slowdown post-upgrade, the hard reset should fix it.

Backups don’t require libraries. Just choose “Back up” from File > Devices. You can just cancel when you are asked to sync with this library; it’s not important.

Just myself, as usual.

2015-12-10 18:16:19

Sebby, Again you completely missed my point, I believe intentionally, because your blind love of all things Apple have blinded you to alternative possibilities, so we'll just agree to disagree.

2015-12-11 18:38:47

Figment wrote:

No thanks, that sounds too much like piracy for my tastes.

By paying for my nusic through a reputable source, I know the music in my library has been legally acquired and the artists have been paid for their work.

payed for their work? smile I hope you are not that serious
P.S as a musician I also hate piracy, but let's not  think although  publishers are saints of all

"I don't see how having a guide horse will affect my neighbors."
twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2015-12-11 19:04:18

No, I'm not that naive. But if I buy music from a reputable music store, the artists have a better chance of being paid than if I ripped it from a youtube video.

2015-12-12 06:48:19

As a sidenote that's why so many artists are going independent or are starting off independent, because they can distribute music on their own terms. Artist s get a fraction of what we pay because of the recordlabels taking most of it. On bandcamp, for example, artists can use the name your price method, and they're getting all people pay. Better still, contracted or not, it's just better to pay for music anyways.

2015-12-12 17:57:20

Jack, absolutely. And that's one of the things that technology like the Internet is doing for artists. Back in the day, you either got a contract with a record label or nobody knew who the heck you were.

Now a days, artists can make their own recordings, and distribute their music themselves over the internet or through social menia and reach listeners around the world with out ever setting foot in a recording studio or the offices of a record label.

It makes a wide variety of music available to audiences that might otherwise have never had a chance to hear it. I'm picky about the music I like, so more often than not I won't care for the music being offered, but at least I had a chance to hear it.

The only free music I have in my collection are some tracks from Amazon's free track of the day promotion they were doing a few years ago, and the U2 album that was given away to everybody that had an iTunes account last summer, and other similar promotions, suffice it to say that the music was being given away.

All the rest were either ripped from purchased CDs or recorded from purchased vinyl records. Now that's an interesting project if you are ever inclined to try it. I had a couple of albums left over that had never made it to CDs or digital music, so I had to create the digital music tracks myself.